SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 3/19

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The Films of 3/19

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, DAMN, is my face red. Correction made.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Though not in the game, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo got nearly $10,000 per theatre (despite opening in 38 theatres and being widely available on DVD in many countries, including Canada). I guessing that Sony is now fast-tracking the remake to open before the sequels to the original open stateside. (I sure hope Carey Mulligan doesn't play the lead, this is not her type of role. Sony needs an actress that can play dark, like a Christina Ricci, not bitchy like Mulligan.)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

any idea when the site will update the standings?

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I think they have been.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:I sure hope Carey Mulligan doesn't play the lead, this is not her type of role. Sony needs an actress that can play dark, like a Christina Ricci, not bitchy like Mulligan
Er... just wondering where you're getting this stereotype of Carey Mulligan from? Apart from an excellent performance in one film (An Education), she's only had small parts in many others and had some major roles in a few BBC dramas.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Her performance in An Education was one-dimensional and stereotypically bitchy. If this is her career breakthrough, then I don't want to see the future.

And her role in Wall Street 2 looks like more of the same, however she's not the lead so it's okay.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

thswrestler160
Private Pyle

Post by thswrestler160 »

you know buscemi sometimes i think your one-dimensional and stereptypically bitchy. you should try to be positive once in a while.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

silversurfer19 wrote:I think they have been.
No they haven't. I just checked.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Maybe I'm seeing something you're not. My Ultimate FY Round One is definitely up to date. I have 7 of my 8 films released and have $433m box office, 35PTA, 43 Top 5's and an IMDB of 44.5 from Dear John, Valentines Day, Percy Jackson, Shutter Island, Un Prophet, Wimpy Kid and Bounty Hunter, which is correct.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, that's weird, because I just checked the standings for Round Three in Box Office, and it definitely has NOT been updated there. I also checked Box Office in Round One, same deal.

ETA: Confirmed, Surfer. The Ultimate leagues are up to date, but Box Office are not. Wonder why.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

So here is the update, for Ultimate. I'll add Box Office when they do those updates.

ULTIMATE FY ROUND ONE

Only the person who comes in dead last in this round will be eliminated. Banks is out, so it looks like that dubious honor could be any of a number of people. Nightbird and SuperShaan are hurting the most in total points, but NB has two films coming out the final weekend and Shaan has three. Also in trouble could be binkley, who just played his last card but could be saved if Greenberg gets more PTA.

Spectre and donnie seem to have IMs locked up. It's a toss-up for 3rd place.

ULTIMATE HY ROUND ONE

Likewise, Spectre and donnie are in excellent shape for an IM here.

The bottom eight finishers will be eliminated next week, which doesn't bode well for Binkley, chugs, JackO, Walleye or Brockster, who'd better hope that their last-weekend films save them.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

why is only one person getting kicked out of the full year but eight in the half year? cuz of the shorter time period of that league?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Exactly, Brockster.

Since in the FY there are ten rounds (nine cuts), only five players will be cut in each round. And since four people have already dropped out of that tournament, that leaves only one among active players.

Conversely, in the HY, there are only five rounds (four cuts), which means nine will be eliminated in each round. And since only one player (Banks) has dropped out of THAT tournament, that leaves eight.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:Her performance in An Education was one-dimensional and stereotypically bitchy. If this is her career breakthrough, then I don't want to see the future.
What on earth makes you think she's a stereotypical bitch in An Education? I'm not saying it's a great film, because I don't think it is, but it is about a well-read girl who takes a walk on the wild side and happens to enjoy it a little and re-evaluate it. What's bitchy about that? Besides, it's one film you're judging her on so I'm not sure if you can label her just yet.

thswrestler160
Private Pyle

Post by thswrestler160 »

he's busc he can label anyone he wants on as little information as he chooses.