Box Office Top 20 - Fall 2014

Different user set-up games offered up by different members. Have fun!

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Box Office Top 20 - Fall 2014

Post by JohnErle »

Announcing the second annual Fall Edition of the Box Office Top 20 contest, which is a variation of the box office top 20 game we play every spring. The primary difference is that we'll be picking films in September instead of January, which means there are still a lot of question marks about next summer's films, so this will be a good test of long-term prognostication skills.

I made one minor change to the rules this year, which is that anyone picking films from September or early October needs to submit their list TEN DAYS before that movie opens, so start thinking about your slates!

THE RULES

Each player must choose what they think will be the Top 20 grossing films, in order, between September 2014 and August 2015. The winner will be determined by total cumulative box office.

In case of a tie where two players have picked the same 20 films, order will be used as a tiebreaker, so be careful when ranking your picks.

Each player also can pick 2 "bench" films. This means that if any of the films in your Top 20 gets bumped past August 2015, your bench picks will be used as replacements. Make sure to order your bench films correctly (i.e. your #1 bench film will be the first picked if a Top 20 choice loses its date). If three of your movies get bumped you’ll only have 19 films on your slate, so choose wisely

Winners will be announced at the end of September 2015, to give films that open in August a fighting chance.

The final deadline for entries is midnight PST September 30th.

If you want to pick a film from September or early October, you must submit your list by midnight PST ten days before the film opens. This is to ensure no one is taking advantage of tracking numbers or early reviews, since this is supposed to be a game of long-term prognostication. Therefore, anyone who wants to pick The Maze Runner has to have their list submitted by September 9th at midnight PST.

Once you submit your list it can't be changed, so if you submit a list on September 15th and one of your films gets bumped on September 16th, you'll have already used up one of your bench picks.

I'll be tabulating the final scores and doing occasional updates throughout the year, roughly once per month or whenever a major date change affects the game.

Good luck, and choose wisely.
Last edited by JohnErle on September 1st, 2014, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Box Office Top 20 - Fall 2014

Post by numbersix »

Great. Time to start thinking. Considering I was last in last year's game I'm going to have to give this some serious thought.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'll probably wait for Six to post his list and and post the opposite of him then. It should ensure victory ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Reigning champ is returning :D

Gonna wait till October is almost here to post though.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

I was bored so I just tried to make my list. The glut of animated kids movies next summer is ridiculous - there's 4 in a 7 week period! I believe something's going to get bumped to the fall, especially if The Good Dinosaur can't make its date.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeah I know i'll wait til the last minute to post my list.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Me too, although I've had mine ready for a week now :) I used Microsoft Excel at work so it actually looked like I was working.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Right, let's get the ball rolling....

1. Avengers 2
2. Hunger Games 3
3. Minions
4. Hobbit Part 3
5. Fast and Furious 7
6. Inside Out
7. Cinderella
8. Ant-Man
9. Big Hero Six
10. Interstellar

11. Terminator Genesis
12. Jurassic World
13. Penguins of Madagascar
14. Tomorrowland
15. Night at the Museum 3
16. Ted 2
17. Divergent 2
18. Into the Woods
19. Fifty Shades of Grey
20. Home

B1. Gone Girl
B2. Paul Blart 2

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Got it. You don't get bonus points for firsties, but how about a pat on the back for being the first to jump into the fray.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:Got it. You don't get bonus points for firsties, but how about a pat on the back for being the first to jump into the fray.
Save that pat on the back for when I come last again.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Will do.

Also, your list reminded me that if anyone wants to have Gone Girl on their slates or even on their bench, they need to submit a list by Tuesday at midnight Pacific time. The Equalizer is already off the table.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

I'm starting to wonder if the Maze Runner might have been a decent pick

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Walleye413 wrote:I'm starting to wonder if the Maze Runner might have been a decent pick
Even just looking at Six's 22 and my initial draft that I'm still thinking over, it shouldn't be hard to fill a list with movies that have at least as much potential as The Maze Runner.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Surprised Tomorrowland got onto the list, especially because we don't know what it is exactly yet. It's some sort of sci-fi movie set in Disneyland or something?

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Surprised Tomorrowland got onto the list, especially because we don't know what it is exactly yet. It's some sort of sci-fi movie set in Disneyland or something?
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-tom ... sis-69003/

Not a lot of details but it sounds like it could be a fun family flick. Betting on Walt Disney Studios, Brad Bird and George Clooney seems safe enough to me.