THE OFFICIAL 2014 FANTASY GAME THREAD

Different user set-up games offered up by different members. Have fun!

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

THE OFFICIAL 2014 FANTASY GAME THREAD

Post by Shrykespeare »

Great news: the March films were FINALLY added to the Master list.

The slightly bad news: the films from January and February that were recently added to BOM's list were not added, so it looks like whatever January and February movies are on the list are the only ones that we will have to choose from.

Better news: I added a few films to the March roster that the were not part of the pricing scheme voted on by the panel. This assures that all four weekends in March will either have five or six films to choose from. This should balance out the sparseness of January.

In other news: UDM has confirmed that he will not be playing this year. Neither will Wasp. Sawbran e-mailed me that he just took a job at DreamWorks, and says that a clause in his employee agreement requires that he not play any box-office related games. Hmm. I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted. Anyway, he won't be playing either.

Still waiting on the following players to join or at least contact me:

Jas
Donnie
DYG
Colored XIII
JackO
Swarehouse (said he will enter)
theantman
TheJohnBenders
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: THE OFFICIAL 2014 FANTASY GAME THREAD

Post by Geezer »

No undeadmonkey.... damn that's a long time regular, and darn good player to lose....

And if my job ever told me I had to stop playing, I'd tell them to shove it! I mean, come on, we're not even big enough for Dreamworks to know we exist....
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I agree, but still, you'd hate to lose your cushy dream job over something trivial. That's Hollywood for ya. Still, can't fault him for bowing out.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm just trying to figure out why they would even care.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

I feel like I remember joining this group because of an Ad on IMDB. Have we thought about doing that again, or a Facebook ad, if we want to try and expand our members? I chat it up to my friends, but most aren't the movie geek that I am, and the Italian site is confusing to those who check it out. But there's got to be a wider pool than just us, if we're looking to expand. If not, I'm happy with who's here all the same.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

That's cool news for Sawbran. Is he an animator?

And as for the clause, Dreamworks probably doesn't want another notfabio on their hands, leading insider information like tracking, production stills, etc. Banning employees from HSX takes away that temptation, so it makes sense. There's probably a lot of other movie related things Dreamworks employees are not allowed to do on the internet.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shame to lose UDM, and that's awesome news for Sawbran, although that's a hilarious clause to add to anyone's contract.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

That's great for Sawbran. DreamWorks ! He's a Hollywood player now ! I don't know what's he's doing there exactly, but I'm sure it must be thrilling to work for a Hollywood studio.

As for UDM's departure this year... WHAT THE HECK ?! Damn, it's like the Round Table lost one of its mighty Knights !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

to semi quote Arnie: They'll Be Back!
This game is too good to stay away from forever.

And going on with with what Walleye said, maybe we can expand our gamers pool somehow. Does anyone know HOW to get in touch with imdb or facebook for real, or is the italian site so dated now that its not even worth promoting to new players? If only we got paid to play this game...
Maybe if there were another way to link it with fantasy sports, thats pretty big these days, surely there would be fans of both genres, sports and movies, i am.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

If only there was a web-design prodigy among us...

I've put out some feelers about finding friends of friends who are web designers who might be interested in taking on this project. But odds are, it won't be fast and it certainly won't be free.

Sadly, the biggest problem with the Italian site is that, for the most part, it's in Italian. The English page is at least understandable, even though the "budget" is still listed in Euros, not dollars.

It's just unfortunate that they never got around to doing the features that would have made the site more viable, such as:

1. Putting past leagues in an accessible archive, not just removing them, never to be seen again.
2. Having a feature that outlines the breakdown of each movie's stats, whether it be on each Standings Page, the Main Page, or its own separate page.
3. Some kind of page akin to Empire's "Trophy Room" would be cool.

I like that in the Studio Page, Mario provides links to each movie's page on IMDb, BOM and RT, but how many of us actually use that feature? If he's going to do those, it's a shame he leaves the rest blank, the "Director", "Genre" and "Distributor" fields. (If it were me, I'd include two or three of the primary actors as well).

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

It certainly would be easier to attract other users if the site was all in english and ran smother with regular weekly updates and all the additional features you've described. Thats what got us all hooked on fantasy moguls in the first place. It was professionally run, flashy looking, with multiple regular feature articles and a much larger clientele. I'm sure we'd all love to get back to that stage, but short of begging our friends to join in our obsession, its not easy to get more people here with the current state of affairs. Its still a very bootleg system, and those that aren't already addicted aren't likely to become so.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Square one, then. I guess the first step is to start shopping around to freelance web designers.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I hadn't even ever paid attention to the fact the budget is listed in euros and not dollars. Hum.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

I personally know nothing about what we need. I'm assuming there is a good deal of programming involved in addition to web design, so I put a call into my brother who's a computer programmer. I'm supposed to talk with him tomorrow. He may also know a web designer, or have ties to someone who does. It's a long shot, and I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but I'm giving it a go.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

That would be awesome Empire.
Fluctuat nec mergitur