Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #9) #20-#11

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #9) #20-#1

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: From the sublime to the ridiculous, eh? Murmur is now on my To Get list, while SYAD are on my Kill List.

Geez: Neither are particularly my kind of thing, but both were better than some of the other pop-punk/rock you're into.

John E: More introductions. I do know Steve Earle, mostly through his appearance on The Wire, but never listened to him. I liked the first song, but less so the two others. Sounded a bit familiar to someone who has ventured into alt-country. So Joe Jackson is the Is She Really Going Out With Him guy? That was all I ever knew of him. The first song was excellent and I dug the other two, which reminded me of Elvis Costello's early stuff.

Leetsu: Good to see you like Meat is Murder more than Queen. I wholeheartedly agree. As for The Cure, I think you see their mid 80s phase as the best combination, but I never got into these songs. The poppier moment like Catch are decent, but the goth-lite they started to develop left me cold. Until disintegration came along.

Ron B: Nice to see Kid A get some love. I does deserve to make an appearance on someone's Top 100 albums. While it alienated a lot of the guitar fans I feel they advanced their own sound in the right away. I'm not a big Dre fan, but Nothin by a G Thang is an incredibly cool song. Great picks.

SS: Have the Pixies album, want the Weezer album. As always, great picks.

Tranny: Well, they're easier to listen to than your earlier choices. Let's hope the Top 10 leans more towards classic rock and metal.

And someone give Nspan a good flogging.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote: John E: More introductions. I do know Steve Earle, mostly through his appearance on The Wire, but never listened to him. I liked the first song, but less so the two others. Sounded a bit familiar to someone who has ventured into alt-country. So Joe Jackson is the Is She Really Going Out With Him guy? That was all I ever knew of him. The first song was excellent and I dug the other two, which reminded me of Elvis Costello's early stuff.

Yes, Is She Really Going Out With Him? was the big hit from this album and an example of the softer side that would take over in later years. That song's okay, and so is his other big smash "Steppin' Out", but I definitely prefer the punchier side of Look Sharp!

As for Steve Earle, you can't have ventured too far into alt-country if you haven't listened to him yet. He's an icon of the genre who's been around for ages. I love this clip from the mid 70s because the song is brilliant and he looks so friggin' young.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah, could be a case of the imitators getting in there first and unfairly making the original sound inferior. I call it Casablanca Syndrome.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

So how many songs do we get to highlight for our #1 pick? I've narrowed it down to about seven and it's getting hard to make any further cuts.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Unless its a huge anthology triple album, seven probably seems excessive. But honestly, it's up to you, if you feel the record demands us to hear seven tracks to sell us on why you love it so much, go ahead.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I was mostly kidding. I'm sure I'll whittle it down to my usual three, maybe four because it is #1 after all. But those cuts are difficult choices.

Are you planning to dedicate more time to each #1 pick, like Shryke did with the movie countdown? One per day would give people more time to actually digest the picks instead of having to rush through them all if a whole bunch of #1s are posted at once.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I was planning on it. As it is we have nine participants, so we can dedicate a day for everyone.

I can't really set a date for when it will begin, however, as it's been such a nightmare trying to get everyone submit on time it's rare I can actually post a selection a day. Ideally I'd like to submit no.10 today, though I'm still short four picks, but if that was the case and I could do one a day, we could possibly look at a start date for no.1's as 12th April.

If anyone wants to suggest whether they go first or last, I would like to go on 19th April as it's my birthday so would tie in nicely, that would be a start, but otherwise date's just aren't concrete.

If we could get a little dedication [nudge nudge] for just a few more days, we could get this all wrapped up, so come on people!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'd be happy to do the 20th. It's a Saturday so gives me time to write and post.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'd be happy to go first, as my number one isn't exactly a surprise.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Geezer wrote:I'd be happy to go first, as my number one isn't exactly a surprise.
I always knew your love of The Spice Girls would come out.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I was about to make a similar joke, but mine would have been funnier because it would have referenced Captain & Tennille, or possibly Air Supply.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

silversurfer19 wrote: Ideally I'd like to submit no.10 today, though I'm still short four picks, but if that was the case and I could do one a day, we could possibly look at a start date for no.1's as 12th April.
That seems like a lot to get through in a short time frame, especially if you want people to have time to listen and comment. Luckily I'm already familiar with 99% of what's been posted in the top 20, but I know I wouldn't have time to listen and comment otherwise. Slowing down and doing one every 48 or even 72 hours might be a good idea. And don't forget we have a full-year draft coming up so we all need time to prepare for that.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:I was about to make a similar joke, but mine would have been funnier because it would have referenced Captain & Tennille, or possibly Air Supply.
Shame. You could have sit in the corner and giggled to yourself while the rest of us nodded and smiled patronisingly. Oh, what could have been.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I always assume someone is nodding condescendingly at anything that gets posted around here. I would have taken that bullet for you in exchange for a good giggle.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

My superpower is to absorb all the condescension directed at me and fire it back ten times stronger. Haven't got my superhero name yet but the working one is Mr Middle-Class.