Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote:
numbersix Menomena, “Friend And Foe”, 2007"
"Mahna Mahna" ? Nice. I dug both tracks (but especially the first), and your note about their writing process is interesting. After reading that, I felt like I could hear it in the music (lots of culminating sounds that become more and more textured until hitting a climactic point). I definitely hear a little Modest Mouse in there. I strongly suggest you check out a Texas band called The Eastern Sea (I may have featured one of their tracks somewhere else in the forum in the past).
I checked out a couple of their tunes on Youtube. Really nice. Thanks for the recommendation!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.53

Alyson
To Be Added At Later Date

englishozzy
Wolfmother, "Wolfmother"
, 2005

Brilliant debut album from Australian rock band Wolfmother.

"Joker and the Thief"

"Vagabond"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThtGuKy27qk

Geezer

BleedBlackandGold
Bad Brains, "Bad Brains"
, 1982

Adam Yauch (MCA) onece called this album the greatest punk album of all time. Hardcore and dub was it an odd mix , yes but did it work so well? yes!

"Fearless Vampire Killers"

Leestu
The Jesus and Mary Chain, “Psychocandy”
, 1985

A great debut album full of pop songs disguised by a wall of sound created by distorted guitar feedback. I hadn’t heard anything like it at the time and it totally blew me away.

“The Living End”

“Taste of Cindy”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkv-pA8Z_mM

NSpan
Lovage, "Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By"
, 2001

1. Ladies Love Chest Rockwell
2. Pit Stop (Take Me Home)"
3. Anger Management (Why Must God Punish Me)
4. Everyone Has a Summer
5. To Catch a Thief
6. Lies and Alibis
7. Herbs, Good Hygiene & Socks
8. Book of the Month
9. Lifeboat
10. Strangers on a Train
11. Lovage (Love That Lovage, Baby)
12. Sex (I'm A)
13. Koala's Lament
14. Tea Time with Maseo
15. Stroker Ace
16. Archie & Veronica

Producer Dan Nakamura (aka "Dan the Automator") is--in my opinion--the embodiment of everything that is RIGHT about the hip-hop genre. Yes, he uses a generous swatch of classic (albeit obscure) samples in creating his music. But he doesn't simply lift a catchy hook and call it his own. He truly builds NEW and interesting musical landscapes from the foundations of older songs. Furthermore, he is also a huge proponent of *organic* sounds. The result is an impressive digital landscape overlaid with real instruments. On top of that, the songwriting is top-notch and the guest spots are some of the best around. For those in the know: the "regulars" on this record are producer Dan the Automator (Dr. Octagon, Deltron 3030, Gorillaz, Handsome Boy Modeling School), vocalist Mike Patton (Faith No More, Fantomas, Peeping Tom, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk), vocalist Jennifer Charles (Elysian Fields), Kid Koala (Handsome Boy Modeling School, Deltron 3030, Peeping Tom), et al. Some notable guests include Damon Albarn (Blur, Gorillaz), Prince Paul (Handsome Boy Modeling School), Maseo (De La Soul), etc.

Note: appreciate the explicit Hitchcock homages:

"Strangers on a Train"

"To Catch a Thief"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Lzd6QfoTc

numbersix
Bob Dylan, “Highway ’61 Revisited”
, 1965

It took me a long time to get Dylan. You just have to find the right access point. I’d say Scorsese’s flawed but fascinating documentary No Direction Home was what opened my eyes and ears to Dylan. It’s so easy to merely pass a song off as part of culture’s annals, but if you ever have a chance to hear Like A Rolling Stone with a fresh perspective, you’ll hear an astoundingly passionate song. The rest of Dylan’s ease into electric guitars makes for an amazing album. The great lyrics are a given, but there are some utterly unique songs, such as the staggering fury in Ballad of a Thin Man, the fierce wit in the title track, or the undeniable beauty of Queen Jane Approximately.

This was around the time that drugs seemed to factor into Dylan’s life, and while that can ruin the career of many, here it seems that Dylan was freed to explore who he wanted to be.

Youtube doesn’t like Dylan, so below are the best links I could find.

"Ballad of a Thin Man"
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9271621/b ... _thin_man/
"Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylkOK7IDwNg

Ron Burgundy
Gotye, "Like Drawing Blood"
, 2006

"Heart's A Mess"

"Coming Back"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZRuE6z4Rg

silversurfer
Arcade fire, "Funeral"
, 2004

First time I heard of the Canadian band Arcade Fire, I mistook their rousing critical reviews for Amusement Parks On Fire. I was surprised to see so many great reviews for a rather average hardcore act. After realising they were two entirely different bands I thought it important to check the band out. And they were NOTHING like APOF. I first heard their singles Neighborhood 2 (Laika) and Neighborhood 3 (Power Out) on MTV2, a rock and indie music video channel in the UK. I was impressed by their harmoniously rousing anthems, capturing something meandering between Jeff Buckley, The Verlaines and perhaps a little Modest Mouse. It was immediately catchy, and had me seeking out Funeral as soon as I possibly could. This record is filled to the brim with similar emotional outbursts, from the chantworthy Rebellion (Lies) to dreamscape of Neighborhood 1 (Tunnels) or the epic closer, In The Backseat. Always an exciting band, and even better live, this is my favourite record of theirs (though they have yet to put a foot wrong).

"Neighborhood 1 (Tunnels)"

"Neighborhood 2 (Laika)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlRfZABWgK4

transformers
At the Gates, "Slaughter of the Soul"
, 1995

"World of Lies"

"Suicide Nation"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHBrmX__tI8

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album no. 54

englishozzy AC/DC, "High Voltage", 1976 - Never really been a fan of AC/DC, their music generally grates on me, though I've always thought I'd prefer their earlier work as I prefer the vocalist a little more. I actually enjoyed The Jack quite a bit, it sounded much more like The Rolling Stones than I anticipated, more of this would certainly be appreciated. The second song was little more standard AC/DC I know, but even then it was better than most of their stuff. Surprisingly enjoyable!

BleedBlackandGold AFI, "Sing The Sorrow", 2003 - I liked it, sounded a little like you're brothers Against bands with some good riffs in there too. Nothing completely original to blow me away, but I always thought there might be something in this band I may like, this may be it.

Leestu Radiohead, “OK Computer”, 1997 - Phenomenol record from one of the best bands ever. They only played Airbag and Paranoid Android at the recent show I saw of theirs, but they were both spectacular, and Subterranean Homesick Alien was always a keen favourite of mine from this record.

NSpan David Bowie“The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars”, 1972 - For some reason I haven't long owned this record and haven't gotten around to listening to it all the way through yet. Loved the first song, a really nice build up into a fabulous climax. I've seen footage from his Ziggy Stardust tour and I always expected this would be a record I'd love of his, but as I'd only owned Low and Hunky Dory I didn't know just how good it would be. Sounds like it will be spellbinding.

numbersix Menomena, “Friend And Foe”, 2007" - Very intriguing, I heard perhaps a little Low in the first song, and as NSpan mentioned definitely a little Modest Mouse in the second. An intriguing way to craft music, I imagine while on one hand it sounds the perfect way to make music, I can also imagine it being an absolute pain in the ass. Fortunately it seems to have paid off here, will be certainly checking out their work.

Ron Burgundy Queens Of The Stone Age, "Songs for the Deaf", 2002 - Obviously I love this band, and as I picked the songs, I obviously love them too!

silversurfer Mclusky, "Mclusky Do Dallas", 2001 - While they have another couple of records, six - one which preceeded this and one which was released a while later, this is definitely their defining moment. If you want to hear more first check out these:

"Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJK3KwmExMk
"Fuck This Band"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOOhFSITaaI
"Gareth Brown Says"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTUmGFtqHU

transformers 2pac, "All Eyez on Me", 1996 - Can't say I'm a convert...

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

englishozzy Wolfmother, "Wolfmother", 2005
Although I've always felt that these guys sounded a bit soulless (I mean, did a computer write these songs?), I'm quick to admit: the album rocks. I really dig it. I mean, it sounds like the White Stripes warming up by playing Zeppelin covers. I would also recommend checking out Band of Skulls' debut LP. Same style, perhaps a bit more heart.

BleedBlackandGold Bad Brains, "Bad Brains", 1982
Not sure why, but I never got around to fully exploring this band. I should listen to a bit more.

Leestu The Jesus and Mary Chain, “Psychocandy”, 1985
I still only own compilation records from these guys... I need more.

numbersix Bob Dylan, “Highway ’61 Revisited”, 1965
I'm not sure how I talked myself out of including this on my own list... but it's fantastic. The whole album is near-flawless, but "Ballad of a Thin Man" and "Desolation Row" are two of my all-time favorites.

Ron Burgundy Gotye, "Like Drawing Blood", 2006
I strongly dislike the new(er) single, but I didn't mind these tracks quite as much... even though most of his songs sound basically the same to my ears. I dig some of the music that lingers in the background--a bit reminiscent of Gotan Project--but his voice is grating (to me) and I honestly don't like his arrangements. To each his own, of course!

silversurfer Arcade fire, "Funeral", 2004
I'm still trying to really give these guys a fair shake. I own this album, and I've tried to listen to it from start to finish... but I haven't succeeded. I'll try again sometime.

transformers At the Gates, "Slaughter of the Soul", 1995
Oh, Tranny. You so crazy.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.53

englishozzy Wolfmother, "Wolfmother", 2005 - For some reason I always thought these were just an AC/DC inspired act. They sounded much more like a mix between The Datsuns and The Von Bondies though. Second song had more of a bluesy feel to it with some added percussion, but still good. I'll look into this record.

BleedBlackandGold - Bad Brains, "Bad Brains", 1982 - That was all very exciting wasn't it! It was over before I'd even gotten going too, but good stuff!

Leestu The Jesus and Mary Chain, “Psychocandy”, 1985 - Great choices, love both those songs. Well, I love their entire record.

NSpan Lovage, "Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By", 2001 - While Hip hop isn't exactly a genre I really lean myself to, I am open to a little musial sampling now and then, usually from acts like The Avalanches or The Beta Band. This was in the same mould for me, not really the hip hop I was expecting at all, and it was very nice.

numbersix Bob Dylan, “Highway ’61 Revisited”, 1965 - While I'd obviously heard bits and pieces of Dylan throughout my childhood, mostly segments from Blonde On Blonde and Blood On The Tracks, this was the first record of his I purchased, and it was instantly accessible and envigorating for me. I included Ballad Of A Thin Man in my 100 top songs countdown, so no issue with hearing it again!

Ron Burgundy Gotye, "Like Drawing Blood", 2006 - I wasn't so fond of your earlier Gotye selection, but this had much more appeal. I enjoyed the laid back approach, almost lounge-act like. Second song had some kind of Spanish vibe to it, but it works. Very pleasant stuff with some nicely layered sounds and samples. Much better than what I had previously heard and gives a little substance to the buzz surrounding the band.

transformers At the Gates, "Slaughter of the Soul", 1995 - Nothing which really stood out for me to separate it from the hoard of similar sounding acts. Just a lot of thrash I'm afraid.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: That wasn't half bad. I'm sure they're derivative (QotSA sprung to mind) but it's enjoyable enough to get away with it.

John L: Another punk act I've been meaning to check out. It's hard to tell by that one (minute-long) track, but I certainly like what I heard. It felt like a slightly new angle on punk.

Leetsu: Another album I've been meaning to buy. I only really got into My Bloody Valentine quite recently, and considering I love A Place to Bury Strangers (who are very much inspired by both) this is really an essential purchase. Those two songs were great.

NSpan: The instumental is usually the best part of rap, that's true. And in both cases I really enjoyed the sample though I felt they relied too much on it. But I did like the mood. Very trip-hoppy.

Ron B: Didn't know this guy had a career before THAT song (which I'm not a big fan off. It's a bit forgettable). This wasn't bad, and again it reminded me of trip-hop, even if it veered towards the Musak side of it. But certainly listenable.

SS: A great record, and a defining moment in music history. This band were totally reliant on non-print media to boost a career. Pitchfork gave it their album of the year, when most had never heard of them (the album wasn't released in the rest of the world until 2005), and they became really huge really quickly. I won't bang on about the album too much (my thoughts on it are coming up) but it's a very cohesive record.

Tranny: Not really my thing, though there were parts in the first song that I liked.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:NSpan: The instumental is usually the best part of rap, that's true. And in both cases I really enjoyed the sample though I felt they relied too much on it. But I did like the mood. Very trip-hoppy.
Consider the name of the album. It's intended to be mood music!

On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Bad Brains - Bad Brains - 4/10
The Jesus and the Mary Chain - Psychocandy - 6/10
Lovage - Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By - 5/10
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited - 10/10
Gotye - Like Drawing Blood - 7/10
Arcade Fire - Funeral - 8/10
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul - 6/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.52

Alyson

englishozzy
Foo Fighters, "One by One"
, 2002

Dave Grohl in my mind is a bonafide superstar, not only was he part of one of the greatest bands from the 90's but has managed to surpass that with Foo Fighters. Probably the most inconsistent Foo's album to date but the quality of the four main songs is the reason it is in my list.

"All My Life"

"Have It All"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpPkWGQmgQo

Geezer

BleedBlackandGold
Husker Du, "Candy Apple Grey"
, 1986

The major lable debut for the trio from St.Paul one of the most innovative bands ever.

"Hardly Getting Over It"

Leestu
Mudhoney, “Mudhoney”
, 1989

This debut album from Mudhoney (and their singles and EP preceding this which were even better) is the true grunge. Includes a Blue Cheer cover, and You Got It is Mudhoney’s message to 80s hair bands.

“Here Comes Sickness”

“You Got It”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5cPiG3t9Ew

NSpan
The Real Heroes, "Greetings From Russia"
, 2004

Elise, Elise
The French Song
Adjust Your Nightmare
Ghost Tonight
Animals, Animals, Animals
Me Is The Drug
Move That Strut
Beeswax
You Medicate Me Baby
All Made Up Friends

I've already talked about these glam-rock locals: easily one of my favorite Austin bands. I've seen them perform countless times, and I'm always blown away. But one particularly memorable event was seeing them play across from Franz Ferdinand (a band with a similar sound and approach) at the Austin City Limits Music Festival. The Real Heroes' showmanship, professional demeanor, and flawless performance resulted in one of the best sets of the entire weekend. By comparison, Franz Ferdinand just sounded limp and lifeless. The Heroes were on the "local" stage which was considerably smaller, and their set started with just a few in attendance. But, by the halfway mark, that area was completely packed--while the bigger stage across the way had all but cleared out. It was an impressive sight--and a small victory for a struggling band.

"The French Song"

"Elise, Elise"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9D2O_D2o7o

numbersix
Arcade fire, "Funeral"
, 2004

Hyped like hell upon their arrival (first in the online indie publication, then with every hipster and music fan in the world), The Arcade Fire fortunately were able to stand up to such pressure.

Their debut album, cobbled together before the band thought lack of interest would force them to dissolve, this is a concept album where the ideas don’t need to compensate for the music. Core to the band’s interests is the idea that maturity can lead to the destruction of the most immense feelings of your existence, and that the joy of music can recapture that. Also lurking within this record is of course the idea of death having an impact on one’s life, and how it can dull you or inspire you, depending on how you want to take it. It’s pretty obvious which side this ensemble leans towards.

Interestingly, I feel there are better songs on their two subsequent albums, but here it is a more consistent package.

"Neighbourhood #2 (Laika)"

"Rebellion"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-8nQw-oV5o

Ron Burgundy
Radiohead, "Amnesiac"
, 2001

"I Might Be Wrong"

"Knives Out"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRzRbxd5YKA

silversurfer
Sonic Youth, "Goo"
, 1990

As their major label debut, Sonic Youth had good sense to ensure that while Goo maintained their hallmark feedback drenched guitar sounds, there was a focus to keep their songs on the record their most accessible yet, and what results is a fantastic pop record in the mould of perhaps The Jesus And Mary Chain. Eleven bubblegum pop songs wrapped up in the fuzz of swirling guitars and some awesome punk rock, Goo is probably the perfect initiation to a Sonic Youth novice. It was certainly mine. I remember as a teenager, knowing of the band Sonic Youth by name only, wandering into a record shop in Edinburgh while up there for the Fringe Festival. I picked up Goo as I thought the cover image was cool (that's how I quite often find my favourite records by accident!), and played the record on my CD player while I was trudging the streets of the city. I was sold instantly, from the rollicking Dirty Boots to the trashy, Kim Gordon helmed "Tunic" and pure bubblegum "My Friend Goo" to the searing "Disappearer" and the hardcore "Mildred Pierce". This record began my love affair with Sonic Youth, and in retrospect enabled me to acknowledge just how influential they have been on the alternative rock scene over the past couple of decades.

"Disappearer"

"Dirty Boots"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM6Roy62NTg

transformers
The Dillinger Escape Plan, "Miss Machine"
, 2004

"Setting Fire to Sleeping Giants"

"Unretrofied"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DDG25FQ18

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

stu-or lee, which ever

interestingb choices all round, really dug the bob dylAn pick and more importantly thought SS has some brains.

Sorry for thy forwardness, but will quitl drinkin tomorra, listening o thats ong.

Some really interesing stuff in theere, eeven didnt mind the short punk song, short was good, but the guitar was eeeeven betta. im overdue for ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ seeya later#%^ have a good !
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I will be caught up by the end of the day, It's just getting harder and harder to nail down an order these days.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Boston, "Boston" (1976)

1.More Than A Feeling – 5 stars
2.Peace of Mind – 5 stars
3.Foreplay/Long Time – 5 stars
4.Rock and Roll Band – 4 stars
5.Smokin' – 4 stars
6.Hitch a Ride – 4 stars
7.Something About You – 4 stars
8.Let Me Take You Home Tonight – 4 stars

The classic debut album from Boston. I know they have their fair share of haters around here, and that's fine, but to me, these songs are just classics.

"Peace of Mind"

"Foreplay/Long Time"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTFD5DZwK7g

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The Beatles, "Revolver" (1966)

1.Taxman – 5 stars
2.Eleanor Rigby – 5 stars
3.I'm Only Sleeping – 4 stars
4.Love You Too – 3 stars
5.Here, There and Everywhere – 4 stars
6.Yellow Submarine – 4 stars
7.She Said She Said – 4 stars
8.Good Day Sunshine – 4 stars
9.And Your Bird Can Sing – 5 stars
10.For No One – 4 stars
11.Doctor Robert – 5 stars
12.I Want To Tell You – 3 stars
13.Got To Get You Into My Life – 5 stars
14.Tomorrow Never Knows – 2 stars

The 4th album from the Beatles on my list, Revolver is, in my opinion, their second best effort. For all you clever folk out there, yes, that means one more to go.

"Eleanor Rigby"

"Got to Get You Into My Life"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxhhFOnXs2M

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: I lost interest in the Foo Fighters in the late 90s, but those two songs were a lot better than I expected.

John L: A great track, one I've definitely heard somewhere. Must check out more Husker Du

Leetsu: A nice combo with Huster Du, as both were direct influences on Nirvana. Those two songs were real raw. Good stuff.

NSpan: Maybe it's a case of needing to see them live first, but these songs did very little for me. Around that time there were a lot of rock bands embracing some really exciting older music, and while there's something to them I now feel only a few were truly memorable. Do you think this album would be so high if you never saw them live?

Ron B: For me this was Radiohead's last great album. Even though it was a sort of outtakes record, there's enough creativity and imagination to stand alongside the tracks from Kid A. It was also good to see them stretch themselves further by incorporating jazz (Life in a Glasshouse) and a more darker and heavier style of rock (I Might be Wrong). And Pyramid Song is one of my favourites.

SS: My Sonic Youth discography is far from complete. There's a few later albums and earlier albums I need to get. But the next record will be this, their first after the awesome Daydream Nation. I've liked what I've heard from this, and Dirty Boots was one of the first songs I heard from these guys. Still love the music video too.

Tranny: Some of this wasn't bad at all. Are you wearing me down?

Geez: Revolver is considered a classic (and Rolling Stone often calls it the greatest album ever made). Eleanor Rigby is an amazing song, though the other track did so little for me that I ended up playing a few more tracks just to see how I felt. It ranged from utter disinterest to liking a few (Taxman and I'm Only Sleeping in particular). It kind of solidifies my feeling that The Beatles never made a truly great album (though I've only heard Abbey Rd, the white album, and St Peppers in their entirety), only some truly great songs. Though they do deserve some slack considering they released an album a year for 17 years, and changed music in the process!
Last edited by numbersix on December 10th, 2012, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Husker Du - Candy Apple Grey - 6/10
Mudhoney - Mudhoney - 6/10
The Real Heroes - Greetings from Russia - 7/10
Arcade Fire - Funeral - 7/10
Radiohead - Amnesiac - 8/10
Sonic Youth - Goo - 6/10
The Dillenger Escape Plan - Miss Machine - 6/10
Boston - Boston - 6/10