Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#51

Post by silversurfer19 »

New thread guys, desperately short on a number of people, and missing some entirely, please send some more in! Anyway, I'm leaving NZ for the UK in five days, so I will try and post a record a day until then (depending on just how hectic my last few days here are), but after then, I may be without the internet for at least a week. I think it would be beneficial if we all took a break then to refresh and come back stronger, as some people are very far behind, and not too many comments have been posted recently either. Giving us a good week should allow everyone to catch up, so unless anyone really wants to push on and take the reigns from me for a little while, I propose we take a break. That ok with everyone?

Anyway....

Album No.60

Alyson
To Be Added At Later Date

englishozzy
Keane, "Hopes and Fears"
, 2004

Cruelly likened to Coldplay, Keane's pop/soft rock blend is best showcased in their debut album Hopes and Fears. I came across this band when my fiancee dragged me to a U2 concert with Keane supporting and found that they held their own against the rock giants, although I don't rate U2 as highly as most people. I instantly downloaded this album when I got home and has stayed in my Top 100 since.

"Everybody's Changing"

"Can't Stop Now"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r7Fe2Wi5iE

Geezer

BleedBlackandGold
Minor Threat, "Out of Step"
, 1983

The bands only official album Its a staple in hardcore punk.

"Look Back And Laugh "

Leestu
R.E.M., “Monster”
, 1994

I remember a few fellow fans of R.E.M. being disappointed by this album when it first came out, which considering it followed Automatic For The People is understandable, but from my first listen, and taking it on its own merits, from the opener What’s the Frequency, Kenneth I was hooked by their version of a full bloode rock record about fame and celebrity. Plus for a sentimentalist like myself there is the added emotional factor of River Phoenix and Kurt Cobain, both friends of Michael Stipe, dying during the writing of this album, resulting in the album being dedicated to River, with Rain (his sister) contributing to the background vocals on Bang and Blame, and Let Me in being written and recorded as a tribute to Kurt.

“Bang and Blame”

“Let Me In”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUjQOs-5HaQ

NSpan
Spindrift, "Classic Soundtracks Vol. 01"
, 2011

Japexico
Space Vixens Theme
Hellbound
Theme from Confusion Range
Shadytown
When I Was Free
Theme from Ghost Patrol
Legend of the Widower Colby Wallace
Devil with a Gun
Theme from Amboy
Roundup
Showdown
Theme from Drifter’s Pass
Red Reflection

The album these guys were born to make. The title is an intentional misnomer, as these are all original songs. In fact, only a couple were created for actual feature films. For the most part, this was a collaboration with IFC where young directors got a chance to create faux-movie trailers/intros based on the music (which came first, in most cases). Spindrift is yet another band on my list that struggled to capture their live sound in the studio. Their music (usually referred to as "psychedelic Western") was always explicitly reminiscent of Ennio Morricone scores. So when they finally approached recording in terms of creating soundtrack music--even when the source "film" didn't exist yet--things just clicked. If you ever get a chance to see these guys live, don't miss it!

Note: I got a bit greedy and posted three songs, feel free to pick two... or go nuts and listen to all of 'em.

"Hellbound (Theme from 'Dust Up')"

"When I Was Free"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIS2PZxpKlE
"Theme from 'Ghost Patrol'"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVb2i2FwiDc

numbersix
Wolf Parade, “Apologies to the Queen Mary”
, 2005

Two frontmen may seem like a disaster waiting to happen, but for a brief moment in time the collaboration headed by Dan Boeckner and Spencer Krug was sublime. In their debut album, there’s a wonderful tension between the more guitar-driven rock songs of Boeckner, and then the stranger, proggier songs led by Krug and his keyboards. Lyrically the songs gave a sense of continuity, but that musical variation ensured that the album was an exciting listen. I’m not sure what comparisons to make, though it’s worth mentioning they were discovered by Modest Mouse’s frontmen, and at times sound like a more muted and digital version of fellow Kanucks The Arcade Fire.

Sadly, the band started to pull apart right after this. Boeckner and Krug seemed more interested in their own bands (the electro-rock act of Boeckner’s Handsome Furs, and Krug’s odd Sunset Rubdown), even though they failed to reach the musical highs of Wolf Parade’s best work. And WP’s following two albums were a major disappointment, the magic never being recreated, the guitars never merging with the synths. So all that remains as a testament of two highly talented musicians working in harmony is this great record.

"Modern World"

"Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkgqrxkEbW4

Ron Burgundy
Air, "Pocket Symphony"
, 2007

"Mayfair Song"

"One Hell Of A Party"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdGE8WiD3Pw

silversurfer
The Secret Machines, "Ten Silver Drops"
, 2006

I was at first mesmerized by this record cover, when wandering into my local HMV and seeing this flourescent green with 10 silver drops protruding from it. I was entranced. I believed it would probably be some kind of Ministry of Sound record, having not heard of the band until this point, but nevertheless I was eager to discover just who The Secret Machines were. And well, their sonic sound easily matched and perhaps even bettered that brilliant cover art. It's a beautiful record, swirling and at times epic even, as the band weave through genres from Psyche-rock to Krautrock and even a dash of alt-country, but at every step you feel draw into this deeply personal record, feel every strum of the guitar like it bears down heavy on your soul, and crumble under the fragile vocals. It's a stunning record, one which consumes me on every listen, much more than I ever expected it could do, and all despite only having 8 songs (not the TEN I anticipated from the label!)

"Lightning Blue Eyes"

"Alone, Jealous And Stoned"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAG2unCknzs

transformers
Between The Buried and Me, "Alaska"
, 2005

The first of their albums to feature their current lineup and this is when the band really came into their own. Way more progressive than their first two albums while still retaining the raw heaviness. This is the album that cemented them as an elite metal band, but this was far from their peak (Although "Selkies: The Endless Obsession" is still my favorite song of theirs) .

"Selkies: The Endless Obsession"

"All Bodies"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjug7xyyQ7I
Last edited by silversurfer19 on November 6th, 2012, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#

Post by numbersix »

Yeah, the break will do us good, and allow those left behind to catch up.

Ozzy: Sorry, dude, I can't find a way to justify Keane. They're like a poppier, (even) blander Coldplay. The comparison fits, and the music does nothing for me.

John L: I was introduced to these guys from that Dischord Records compilation. Will certainly be checking out this record.

Leetsu: Probably my least favourite REM album (though I haven't heard their last few attempts. I stopped at Up, which is still better than Monster). The songs are just not there. The album before it was a classic, and the album after (which also appeared in your Top 100) was more earnest and honest. This record sounds like it was rushed to meet demand, and so it's a collection of mid-tempo tunes that are designed for stadiums but ring hollow. I've never been so apathetic towards a song as I have with Bang and Blame. That said, there is one great song on it, and that's Let Me In. And I didn't even realise it was about Kurt!

NSpan: I remember you posted a song from this when we were dicussing our favourite albums of last year. That song, Red Reflection, was awesome. While these tracks weren't quite a good, there's something very toe-tapping about it. At times they sound like the theme tune to a farcical Western sitcom, at other times they're like a faster, harder Calexico.

Ron B: I haven't heard an Air song in about a decade. These were very mellow but I did enjoy listening to them. It was a nice surprise to hear Jarvis on the second tune.

Surfer: Wow, talk about overselling a record. I've been listening to Kraftwerk and Can recently, and I quite like modern guitar bands who incorporate their style (Lower Dens are worth checking out). So I was expecting something exciting from these guys, who I've never even heard of. But to be honest (if not cruel ;) ) the first song sounded more like Keane than the best examples of those genres you mentioned. It was really bland indie rock. The second song redeemed them a bit, but only about half-way through.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

englishozzy Keane, "Hopes and Fears", 2004
While I'm not personally a fan of Coldplay, I don't think the comparison is objectively a bad thing--and certainly not "cruel." I hear plenty of similarities: not only in the vocals but within the songwriting and instrumentation itself. These guys toured pretty extensively with The Redwalls, so I picked up this album at the show. I think it has its moments.

BleedBlackandGold Minor Threat, "Out of Step", 1983
I dug this. I knew of these guys, but I guess I never bothered to actually listen. Good pick.

Leestu R.E.M., “Monster”, 1994
Loved that first track, not so much the second. Nonetheless, I might need to get my hands on this. (Funny how differently Six and I responded to the two selections)

numbersix Wolf Parade, “Apologies to the Queen Mary”, 2005
In general, I barely know the difference between Snow Patrol and Wolf Parade (or Arcade Fire from Bloc Party, for that matter). After listening to your tracks (and doing a few seconds of background reading), it sounds like Wolf Parade might actually be one of those bands that I should actually delve into.

Ron Burgundy Air, "Pocket Symphony", 2007
Been meaning to check these guys out more extensively. It was their collaboration with (proto-)Phoenix on the Virgin Suicides soundtrack that first made me aware of them. But I ultimately followed Phoenix's rise to fame and neglected Air. I liked what I heard.

silversurfer The Secret Machines, "Ten Silver Drops", 2006
I had this band on a list of acts I wanted to check out more.. though, now, I can't remember why. I liked both tracks enough--and I dig the influences they're willing to be explicit about--but these songs aren't quite inspiring me to run out and find more..
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote: Leestu R.E.M., “Monster”, 1994
Loved that first track, not so much the second. Nonetheless, I might need to get my hands on this. (Funny how differently Six and I responded to the two selections)
Perhaps the difference lies in one of us listening to a lot of music made by people on drugs, and the other listening to a lot of music while on drugs ;)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

No. 60

englishozzy Keane, "Hopes and Fears", 2004
I know a little of Keane, I know they were prior to a three piece a four piece rock band who made pretty bad music, and it was a good decision to drop the member. And I also know that as well as having a spellbinding video, Bedshaped is a great song. But other than that I just don't really hear much more that appeals to me. It's not offensive at all, quite pleasant at times, but it just doesn't really grab me like I would hope.

BleedBlackandGold Minor Threat, "Out of Step", 1983
I probably should like this but it just didn't really do anything for me.

Leestu R.E.M., “Monster”, 1994
While I see where six is coming from, I feel this record gets way too much bad press. Granted it doesn't achieve the lyrical mastery of their earlier records, nor does it achieve the brilliance of Automatic, but man, with an opening of "What's The Frequency, Kenneth" and "Crush With Eyeliner", not to mention "Let Me In", this is far from a substandard record. Following up one of the greatest records of all time is tough, but I like this.

NSpan Spindrift, "Classic Soundtracks Vol. 01", 2011
Not bad, will certainly look into them a little more as it was very different to what I usually listen to.

numbersix Wolf Parade, “Apologies to the Queen Mary”, 2005
I bought this a few years ago after hearing comparisons to Arcade Fire. In fact, I think their sound is more akin to TV on The Radio or The Veils, in a decent way, but I don't know. They just don't have that thing which really separates them from the crowd. I listened to the entire record again today to see if my thoughts had changed, but unfortunately not. It's decent, a nice listen, but nothing more.

Ron Burgundy Air, "Pocket Symphony", 2007
I own, like many, Moon Safari, which is great, while 10,000 Hz Legend had it's moments. And The Virgin Suicides soundtrack is one of the very best soundtracks of recent times. But unfortunately I haven't really explored much further of the band. This was decent, will certainly look into what these guys have been up to more recently.

silversurfer The Secret Machines, "Ten Silver Drops", 2006
Hmm, surprised by the deflated response. Maybe I was too high on them, maybe I picked the wrong songs to highlight (I thought the singles would be a good starter, though maybe they sound a little standard if you are looking for something a little out there). These are definitely a band, and a record, which grows on you though, so I urge you to give them a chance. Maybe try these:

"Daddy's In The Doldrums"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnf04RnX6b8
"All At Once (It's Not Important)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc1bCI6kWQ0

transformers Between The Buried and Me, "Alaska", 2005
I picked up Colors after your song introduction in the Song Countdown, but ultimately I've only listened to it a couple of times. There were some decent ideas in there, but still a little too growly for me to truly immerse myself in. I guess that's the issue with this band, and many of your favourites. I like elements of what you love about them, but then hate other elements. It's like half a great band for me (though I'm sure you think they are perfect, as you should), and I'll always give them a chance, and hopefully this turns out better as I LOVED Selkies, some great instrumentation.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

I look forward to seeing and hearing each days selections but I have no problem with the occasional breaks Surfer. We all have lives to live too. Rest assured you will always have my selections on time, I have up to about mid 30s prepared already I am just sending them to you in smaller packages to maintain some suspense.

Album No.60

englishozzy Keane, "Hopes and Fears", 2004 I don't think I have heard anything from Keane before now but being totally honest the first song was the sort of music that I don't really like admitting that I like...but I do. Not so much the second selection though.

BleedBlackandGold Minor Threat, "Out of Step", 1983 - Liked it a lot. They have a good rep and I should check this out.

Leestu R.E.M., “Monster”, 1994 - You know it wasn't until I relistened to these two songs after reading the responss that I think from what I've garnered of your musical tastes from this, and previous, projects I can see Bang and Blame appealing to Nspan and Let Me In to Six.

NSpan Spindrift, "Classic Soundtracks Vol. 01", 2011 - What a fascinating concept. I remember liking the Spindrift song you posted earlier in the year, and these songs maintained my interest, with each one better than the previous one. After the first I thought I might suffer a bit of ennui but each one was different enough to avoid that. As to choosing three songs I've noticed as I'm preparing my top 40 and the albums are becoming even more beloved and subjectively better, it's getting harder and harder to pick only two songs.

numbersix Wolf Parade, “Apologies to the Queen Mary”, 2005 - I admit that my music collection and knowledge is severely lacking when it comes to the mid noughties. Raising young kids really impacted on my opportunites to discover new music. Now they are older I have the time to again to catch up and tt appears that I have missed out on some great music during this period. Loved these two songs.

Ron Burgundy Air, "Pocket Symphony", 2007 - Just too ambient for me. If I was the sort of person that listened to music to relax and meditate, or even to go to sleep too this would probably hit the spot, but I don't. So not being critical...just doesn't suit my lifestyle if that makes sense.

silversurfer The Secret Machines, "Ten Silver Drops", 2006 - Wow! I really liked this. I was surprised to find out they were American. They have a sound that reminds me of the early nineties British bands that were on the more melodic edge of the shoegazing scene, which I might not love now but do still appreciate and have a soft spot for. Some interesting sounds in these two songs and I think I'll find more to discover on future listens. I look forward to hearing more.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Minor Threat - Out of Step - 5/10
R.E.M. - Monster - 9/10
Spindrift - Classic Soundtracks Vol.1 - 5/10
Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary - 6/10
Air - Pocket Symphony - 4/10
The Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops - 7/10
Between the Buried and Me - Alaska - 5/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I gotta ask: what hardware is everybody using to listen to these songs? My last laptop had a killer built-in Harmon/Kardon speaker setup that sounded great. It even carried bass well (something I've never seen with a laptop before or since). The current lappy I'm using has more of a "standard" setup, and it sounds much more like typically-tinny laptop speakers. Combined with YouTube's ridiculous compression rate (which may have been upped more recently, but that doesn't help videos posted prior to the change), it's basically unbearable. Fortunately, I have some pretty good Bose headphones that I make sure to keep handy whenever I'm browsing this thread.
Leestu wrote:Leestu R.E.M., “Monster”, 1994 - You know it wasn't until I relistened to these two songs after reading the responss that I think from what I've garnered of your musical tastes from this, and previous, projects I can see Bang and Blame appealing to Nspan and Let Me In to Six.
Insightful as always. I've relistened to both tracks (a few times now). I see how the latter could certainly grow on me, but the first track immediately caught my attention. So I think you're on to something.
Leestu wrote:As to choosing three songs I've noticed as I'm preparing my top 40 and the albums are becoming even more beloved and subjectively better, it's getting harder and harder to pick only two songs.
Exactly what I went through on this selection. I wanted to share nearly every song on the CD. There are more than a few in my Top 50 where it'll be difficult not to indulge a bit. But I'll show some restraint, as I'm trying to listen to everything that gets posted--even when people can't help but share a little extra. So I'll do my best to avoid flooding the market. :)
silversurfer19 wrote:"Daddy's In The Doldrums"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnf04RnX6b8
"All At Once (It's Not Important)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc1bCI6kWQ0
OK, "Daddy's in the Doldrums" definitely (re-)piqued my interest. But then that second song grounded my expectations once again! Stop toying with my aural emotions!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.59

Alyson

englishozzy
Alkaline Trio, "From Here to Infirmary"
, 1998

Came across this band by accident when I downloaded the wrong album, luckily I never wasted my money and Alkaline Trio quickly became one of my favourite bands. From Here to Infirmary seems to have them at their best.

"You're Dead"

"Stupid Kid"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k78P4IV7M_M

Geezer

BleedBlackandGold
The Flatliners, "The Great Awake"
, 2007

The Sophmore album from a great canadian punk band that I can see getting huge someday.

"Mother Teresa Chokeslams The World"

Leestu
Beastie Boys, “Ill Communication”
, 1994

I remember a few fellow fans of R.E.M. being disappointed by this album when it first came out, which considering it followed Automatic For The People is understandable, but from my first listen, and taking it on its own merits, from the opener What’s the Frequency, Kenneth I was hooked by their version of a full bloode rock record about fame and celebrity. Plus for a sentimentalist like myself there is the added emotional factor of River Phoenix and Kurt Cobain, both friends of Michael Stipe, dying during the writing of this album, resulting in the album being dedicated to River, with Rain (his sister) contributing to the background vocals on Bang and Blame, and Let Me in being written and recorded as a tribute to Kurt.

“Get It Together”

“Heart Attack Man”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhvVarIrUhc

NSpan

numbersix
Bonnie Prince Billy, “Ease Down the Road”
, 2001

Many say that Will Oldham’s (aka Palace Music, Palace Brothers, etc) debut BPB album, I See A Darkness, was his best. Indeed, its title track is one of my favourite songs of all time, but the album was almost heavy-handed in its subject matter and tone. His follow-up trumps it. It’s wilder, more rural, and more deliciously gothic even if it sounds like a country record on the surface.

This record feels more like Will Oldham’s style than any other record. Amongst the campfire laments there are grotesque and deadpan songs about eating babies, dark souls, and oral sex. My favourite is the title track, a wonderfully simple song about a momentary act of infidelity, delivered undramatically.

"Ease Down the Road"

"Just to See My Holly Home"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65w8xQg8qh4

Ron Burgundy
Metallica, "Master Of Puppets"
, 1986

"Battery"

"Master Of Puppets"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z-hEyVQDRA

silversurfer
The Replacements, "Tim"
, 1985

Tim was the second record I acquired from The 'Mats, after having been inspired by the alt-rock classic 'Let It Be', and I was impressed by how easily it matched it's predecessor despite moving to a major label, cleaning up their sound and harnessing the pure pop direction that record had hinted at possibly heading in. This record marries the groups punkier tendancies (though much more polished than ever before) through the likes of "Lay It Down Clown", "Bastards Of Young" and "Dose Of Thunder" with the slower, more tender "Swingin Party" and "Here Comes A Regular", and this balance is perfectly achieved. And add to that some of the most impressive alt-rock classics I have ever heard ("Left Of The Dial" - a top 100 Song of mine, "I'll Buy", and "Kiss Me On The Bus"), there really isn't a dull moment on the record. While other bands went on to greater success than The 'Mats, few had, and even less will ever have such an impact on the music scene.

"Kiss Me On The Bus"

"Swingin Party"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEIrcMbcnVE

transformers
Eminem, "The Slim Shady LP"
, 1999

This was the album the exposed Eminem to the masses and rightfully so, It was instant hip-hop classic. This album is definitely the most humorous of all his albums and showed how clever (and shocking to some) he was with his lyrics.

"My Name Is"

"Role Model"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ZA3ulN6bg

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

The Flatliners - The Great Awake - 5/10
Beastie Boys - Ill Communication - 6/10
Bonnie Prince Billy - Ease Down the Road - 6/10
Metallica - Master of Puppets - 10/10
The Replacements - Tim - 6/10
Eminem - The Slim Shady LP - 7/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan, I usually listen to this at home before work or in the evenings. Our apartment doesn't have a decent set of speakers so I usually just use oversized Seinnheiser headphones my other half took from work. I've spent most of my life listening to cassettes and poor MP3 rips so I've no sense of quality. That said, there's been a couple of times my Youtube links have not produced the same response from me as the CD or MP3, so it's either poor encoding or the levels of the device that ripped it.

Usually the solution to any of the above is to play it loud!

Moving on...

Ozzy: The first song wasn't bad, kinda catchy Foo-Fighters-esque, but the second song didn't do much for me.

John L: I actually instantly forgot the song and had to relisten to it to even verify if I clicked play the first time. Not a good sign.

Leetsu: As NSpan said, there really is a lot of genres crammed into this. NSpan got my attention, and these songs confirmed my interest in getting this record.

Ron B: I'm not a huge metal fan, but I did enjoy the title track. There's plenty going on without seeming too OTT and self-indulgent.

SS: Not listening to these songs, as I'm just going to get this album. Don't want to be familiar with all of it. By the way, let me echo NSpan's response to your two extra Secret MAchines songs. The latter song wasn't great, but I loved the moody post rock of Daddy's in the Doldrums.

Tranny: I don't mind Eminem, especially when he's being funny (his serious "angry" songs never really convince). Hard to get into it after hearing those two Beasties songs, though. They're ina whole different league. Also, it's probably the references to the Spice Girls and Jerry Springer, but the album sounds dated.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Paul McCartney - Ram (1971)

Side One
1. Too Many People
2. 3 Legs
3. Ram On
4. Dear Boy
5. Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey
6. Smile Away

Side Two
7. Heart of the Country
8. Monkberry Moon Delight
9. Eat at Home
10. Long Haired Lady
11. Ram On
12. The Back Seat of My Car

On paper, Paul McCartney wouldn't release another "solo" album after this until 1980 (with McCartney II). But if I have any say on the matter: Wings was never a proper band. Paul would go on to record several more great albums throughout the 70s under that banner. I consider all of those solo albums, and I think most people agree. Nonetheless, his second (and last, for a while) officially solo effort, Ram, is probably my favorite of his post-Beatles work. It strikes a perfect balance between his former Beatles output (especially in terms of multi-part pop suites) and the homemade approach he took on 1970's McCartney. This endeavor was a small step closer to what his fanbase expected of his solo career. And, for me, it sounds more comfortably familiar than his ultra-slick productions with Wings. The album produced a couple of hits, but it generally received negative reviews. People simply didn't know what to do with Paul's solo output. Most had assumed that he possessed the most potential of the Fab Four, and when he didn't release something that sounded exactly like the Beatles, the pitchforks were raised and the torches were lit. Meanwhile, John and George were exceeding expectations with their respective solo efforts--and they received more than their fair share of praise. Given time and perspective, however, Paul's solo work--and this album in particular--has been fairly reassessed by the critical community. It is now considered a classic of the era and a progenitor of the indie-pop genre.

"Monkberry Moon Delight"

"Heart of the Country"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGaY-fyZl5M

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:NSpan, I usually listen to this at home before work or in the evenings. Our apartment doesn't have a decent set of speakers so I usually just use oversized Seinnheiser headphones my other half took from work. I've spent most of my life listening to cassettes and poor MP3 rips so I've no sense of quality. That said, there's been a couple of times my Youtube links have not produced the same response from me as the CD or MP3, so it's either poor encoding or the levels of the device that ripped it.
The problem with YouTube is that it generally re-compresses the audio no matter how compressed it is to begin with. So unless the source material is CD-quality, the results can get pretty messy. Couple that with cheap laptop speakers, and it can hardly be described as the same experience.

---

Englishozzy Alkaline Trio, "From Here to Infirmary", 1998
I've had several female roommates over the years, and this band has been a constant with all of them. They're all crazy about these guys (hell, I'm pretty sure even my fiancee is a fan)... but, for whatever reason, I've never EVER given them a fair listen. Perhaps I feared that, if I showed any compromise, I would lose my Hitler-esque control over the communal stereo system. Now that I can listen to these guys in private (on headphones, no less), I'll admit: it's kinda catchy. Just don't tell anybody.

BleedBlackandGold The Flatliners, "The Great Awake", 2007
Not sure how or why, but I've heard these guys before. The song you previewed actually had some great moments (offset by some less-than-great moments). I'm actually curious as to which direction the rest of the album goes..

Leestu Beastie Boys, “Ill Communication”, 1994
One of my absolute personal favorites. Though I don't really get the connection to REM... ;)

numbersix Bonnie Prince Billy, “Ease Down the Road”, 2001
New to me. I was into ""Ease Down the Road" (more so than the second song) -- and curiosity got me listening to "I See a Darkness" (I had already heard the Cash cover). Solid stuff!

Ron Burgundy Metallica, "Master Of Puppets", 1986
This was VERY close to making my own list. Great song selection. My personal favorite is the album's only instrumental track, "Orion" (though both "Leper Messiah" and "Disposable Heroes" are up there, too)

silversurfer The Replacements, "Tim", 1985
Sounds like I stole your song picks. Not that you can really go wrong with this album..

transformers Eminem, "The Slim Shady LP", 1999
I don't mind the ridiculous lyrics (hell, I'm a Kool Keith fan), but the production on this never quite grabbed my attention. The only beats that are memorable are samples from songs with originals that are (to me) infinitely more interesting than what Eminem did with them here.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Hmmm, the problem with McCartney is that the rest of the Beatles were able to subdue his worst aspects in their records, whereas solo he was allowed to go Full-Macca, a level most not dare to go. Full-Macca involves writing upbeat melodies to accompany the most inane and everyday lyrics you can imagine. He literally wrote the lyrics while walking to the studio, and they seem to be about the things he saw on the way there! Forgive me but I prefer the pretentious graft most lyrcists atribute to their music rather than this. Here, the melodies are catchy, but I doubt I'd be able to dig deep and find anything more than a millimetre of Macca's tapping toe and winking eye: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTLoRwsp1V8

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Paul never claimed to write deep or profound lyrics. In fact, you could probably dismiss most of his work as... silly love songs.

I appreciate his honesty. 95% of pop/rock lyrics are atrocious poetic failures. I would rather the artist/musician be explicitly aware and open of that fact rather than fool themselves into thinking that their words should be pored over and studied in academic settings.

As far as the Beatles go, I recall it being John who literally transposed words from a poster he was staring at and passed them off as song lyrics. And he was the "brains" of that operation.