Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #70-#61

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #70-#

Post by Buscemi »

But the names are so similar. It's like how I think Gin Blossoms and Spin Doctors were the same group (which makes me question the Gin Blossoms love and the Spin Doctors hate seeing how they did the same style of music).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Weezer - Pinkerton (1996)

1. "Tired of Sex"
2. "Getchoo"
3. "No Other One"
4. "Why Bother?"
5. "Across the Sea"
6. "The Good Life"
7. "El Scorcho"
8. "Pink Triangle"
9. "Falling for You"
10. "Butterfly"

Weezer's swan song. Their second (and final) effort isn't as immediately accessible as the debut... but, it's still Weezer, so it's pretty damn accessible. That said, this album has layers of depth that songwriter/vocalist/guitarist/pianist Rivers Cuomo had previously only hinted at. The album is loosely conceptual: on its surface, the lyrics explicitly detail a (real life) experience of Rivers receiving a piece of fan-mail from a young Japanese girl. This particular letter struck a chord and served as a catalyst for Rivers recognizing the disconnect that had grown between his current and former (pre-"rock star") life. The Wall, basically. Borrowing a few cues from Puccini's Madama Butterfly, a vague story unfolds about a love that isn't meant to be. The subtext, however, is much more about Weezer's skyrocket to stardom and Rivers being uncomfortable with what fame and success had brought to him. In that sense, the album closes the book on the band.

Bassist and part-time vocalist, Matt Sharp had already founded his own band, The Rentals, and released their debut album a year earlier--which had created a rift within Weezer, as the album borrowed heavily from the aborted space-themed rock opera that Rivers was still working on at the time. Guitarist, Brian Bell, would refocus his efforts on his other band, Space Twins. Rivers never stopped making music, but he would never allow himself to become emotionally invested in pop-music again. His revised approach to the music industry was purely business, and the lyrics he churned out would be barren and detached--thus shielding Rivers from being hurt a second time.

His emotions and his music would never cross paths again.

"The Good Life"

"Across the Sea"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxCYPXMzOtI
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: A decent record. Some great songs on it.

Geez: Sorry, Geez, but this familiar nu metal sound sounds like it belongs in the abyss to me.

John L: That song was great. Love the Beasties' ability to merge rock and rap.

Leetsu: PJ have never done it for me. Music has always been a little dull, though Black wasn't bad.

NSpan: Another repeat of an album I'm interested in. Two darn fine tracks. But I have something to tell you about Weezer's break-up.....

SS: That surprised me. In college a friend lent me Zen Arcade, and from what I remember it was quite different to this. This is almost shoegazey. Not bad though.

Tranny: The first song was totally inaccessible to me, but the second song wasn't bad.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.67

englishozzy Vampire Weekend, "Vampire Weekend", 2008 -A thoroughly enjoyable record. I got into these guys a little later than most, only a couple of years ago, but you are definitely right, their style offers something fresh in the indie world which to be fair has become a little stale of late. When I first heard of their African influences I was expecting something similar to where Blur went after Albarn's experimentation with African sounds, but they made something very oool with the sound. Would have been interested to hear what your favourite tracks are besides the obvious singles, though your two picks are great songs.

Geezer Breaking Benjamin, "We Are Not Alone", 2004 - Actually reminded me quite a bit of a mix between Hell Is For Heroes and more specifically Hundred Reasons. Didn't mind it at all in that respect, as I like both of those bands. Not sure if you have heard any of Hundred Reasons actually, I think you would quite like their debut record "Ideas Above Our Station". Check these out:

"I'll Find You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64RuRetI-sU
"If I Could"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7DrxE1SLns

BleedBlackandGold Beastie Boys, "License To Ill ", 1986 - Yet further proof I need to get into more of these guys work.

Leestu Pearl Jam, "Ten", 1991 - Haven't listened to this in a hell of a long time, largely as I grew a little tired of them for some reason, however listening to Black reminded me that these guys certainly had some talent, just that their arrival on the scene was kind of a blessing and a curse. They jumped on the coat tails of Nirvana's success and while forever being more successful because of that, it's also kind of hindered their career too as they were seen as lesser than their rivals. A shame, had they arrived a couple of years earlier they may have been better regarded nowadays, but at the same time may never have had the success too.

NSpan Weezer, "Pinkerton" - Damn, I'm running out of songs I can play. Not that I'm giving my countdown away.... Anyway. man, there was almost a tear in my eye there. Almost. I'm a sensitive guy.... But you are correct, this was the end of the Weezer I knew and loved. What followed was still Weezer in the sense Smashing Pumpkins is still the Pumpkins of Siamese Dream and Melloncollie. There's still a couple of guys which were part of what made Weezer the best pop band in the world for a couple of years, but that spark has long since departed, despite Rivers ability to still craft and insanely catchy pop song every now and then when he feels like it. Nothing that followed even comes close to one of the songs on Pinkerton or Blue. And he is certainly at his most emotionally bare here, it's a real gutwrecher when you listen to it sometimes, but underneath all those infectious pop hooks. Classic record, and one that until this countdown I thought was massively underrated.

numbersix Super Furry Animals, “Rings Around the World”, 2001 - While I still say I prefer Radiator's pure pop values over this record, Rings is certainly a grower. I picked it up on the day of it's release and I was really taken aback with what Gruff has created. It was much more orchestral than what I had expected, and it is certainly a more sorrowful record than what had come before it. But at the same time the band were always ones to push boundaries, and so I perservered and found so many beautiful pop gems on here, from the sonic Sidewalk Serfer Girl to the insane Receptacle For The Respectable and the almost gospel "Run Christian Run". It's an astonishing record that really comes into fruition with more listens.

transformers Slayer, "South of Heaven", 1988 - Yeah, not a Slayer fan from what I'd heard previously and this did nothing to change that. There just wasn't really that much going on in the song which I can differentiate from other thrash metal. I'm sure there are lots of varying intricacies, and the solo I'm sure is something quite special, but for me there was nothing.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Album No.68

englishozzy Nightwish, "Once", 2004 - Hmmm, didn't really like it, although the first song was tolerable but overall too theatrical and grandiose, especially the second song which just seemed a bit silly.

Geezer The Ramones, "The Ramones", 1976 - Another great Ramones album, probably my favourite and the one I am most likely to listen to still every now and then.

BleedBlackandGold Set Your Goals, "Mutiny", 2006 - Decent enough song, I had fun listening to it, and I liked the sort of, not sure if this is the right word but, amateurish? sound to it.

NSpan Funkadelic, One Nation Under a Groove, 1978 - I get the appeal. I respect funk and have sort of always wanted to like it but it just hasn't happened and sometimes you can't force these things.

numbersix Tom Waits, “Swordfishtrombones”[/b], 1983 - I love distinctive voices and have always enjoyed every Tom Waits song I've heard but have never owned an album of his, possibly due to the intimidation factor of such a huge discography. I mean where do you even start? I especially liked the second song from these two but they were both good.

silversurfer The National, "Alligator", 2005 - Another band I've been meaning to explore for a while after only hearing good things. The first song was great, and it's sometimes hard to judge on one listen but although I wasn't instantly hooked I felt like the second song would grow on me with familiarity.

transformers Van Halen, "Van Halen"[/b], 198? - This might surprise some but I actually owned this on cassette tape back in the eighties. Probably the only hard rock/heavy metal album I ever owned until Metallica came along. Never loved it or listened to it a lot but I must admit it did get a few repeat listens with their decent version of You Really Got Me being a favourite.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Breaking Benjamin - We Are Not Alone - 5/10
Beastie Boys - License to Ill - 8/10
Pearl Jam - Ten - 7/10
Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World - 6/10
Husker Du - Candy Apple Grey - 6/10
Slayer - South of Heaven - 8/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Leestu wrote:
numbersix Tom Waits, “Swordfishtrombones”[/b], 1983 - I love distinctive voices and have always enjoyed every Tom Waits song I've heard but have never owned an album of his, possibly due to the intimidation factor of such a huge discography. I mean where do you even start? I especially liked the second song from these two but they were both good.
In a while (quite far on, actually) you'll find out my favourite Tom Waits album. However, I would suggest you pick up any of his 80s records, as they're a great balance of his more jazzy side and his more experimental tunes. So either Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, or Frank's Wild Years.

Although I would say there's only 3 or 4 Tom Waits records I wouldn't recommend.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Album No.67

englishozzy Vampire Weekend, "Vampire Weekend", 2008 - Yeah I Iiked their uniqueness when I first heard them. Good songs. Shame about their follow up album which I found to be a bit of a disappointment.

Geezer Breaking Benjamin, "We Are Not Alone", 2004 - Never even heard of this band and to tell you the truth I didn't mind these songs, BUT it just feels like they were a bit late to the party. I reckon if this came about about ten years earlier I probably would have been right into them, but now it's too late and I've moved on.

BleedBlackandGold Beastie Boys, "License To Ill ", 1986 - Great album! One of the few rap albums that I listened to a lot and really enjoyed. It didn't make my list but I'm sure it would have if I had of compiled one in the past, say about ten years ago maybe.

NSpan Weezer Pinkerton 1996 - Still got to get around to listening to this. Hopefully I will have by the time it appears again, and judging by these two songs once I do it will get a few repeat listens.

numbersix Super Furry Animals, “Rings Around the World”, 2001 - Yep, liked this. Probably another album to add to my want list.

silversurfer Husker Du, "Candy Apple Grey", 1986 - I haven't heard the great Don't Want to Know if You Are Lonely for so long I had actually forgotten all about it. Excellent song and it's good to hear it again, but I've never owned a Husker Du album........although I do have Copper Blue by Sugar, Bob Mould's next (short lived) band after' the demise of Husker Du. Have you heard that? It is a damn fine album and I highly recommend it. In fact I think I'm going to listen to it again when I get the chance. I haven't given it a spin for a few years now so it's about time.

transformers Slayer, "South of Heaven", 1988 - Never really liked them but the first song wasn't too bad.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote:
Leestu wrote:
In a while (quite far on, actually) you'll find out my favourite Tom Waits album. However, I would suggest you pick up any of his 80s records, as they're a great balance of his more jazzy side and his more experimental tunes. So either Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, or Frank's Wild Years.

Although I would say there's only 3 or 4 Tom Waits records I wouldn't recommend.
Noted, thanks. Rain Dogs maybe a good starting place as it seems to be held in high critical regard. I was also possibly thinking of Blood Money as I've heard and love the song God's Away on Business. (Somehow it ended up on a mixed CD I have).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Blood Money is very good, though perhaps not that impressive as it borrows elements of Waits' previous musical, The Black Rider. There are some amazing songs but wouldn't be up there with the best of them.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.66

Alyson
To Be Added At Later Date

englishozzy
Led Zeppelin, "Houses of the Holy"
, 1973

A very different album to what Led Zeppelin's music normally sounds like but still one of their very best.

"Over the Hill and Far Away"

"The Rain Song"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4v-_p5dU34

Geezer
The Beatles, "Meet The Beatles"

1. I Want To Hold Your Hand – 5 stars
2. I Saw Her Standing There – 5 stars
3. This Boy – 4 stars
4. It Won't Be Long – 5 stars
5. All I've Got To Do – 4 stars
6. All My Loving – 5 stars
7. Don't Bother Me – 4 stars
8. Little Child – 3 stars
9. Till There Was You – 4 stars
10. Hold Me Tight – 4 stars
11. I Wanna Be Your Man – 3 stars
12. Not a Second Time – 3 stars

I love the early Beatles stuff just as much as their later works. Some of the most awesome pop songs ever recorded are on this album.

"It won't Be Long"

"All My Loving"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T098BBuvmjs

BleedBlackandGold
StellaStarr*, "StellaStarr*"
, 2003

A plesent surprise from an underated band of the post punk revival genre . I found it for 3 bucks bought it and have loved it since money well spent

"Somewhere Across Forever'"

Leestu
eels, "Beautiful Freak"
, 1996

"My Beloved Monster"

"Beautiful Freak"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niAW1f8xTc4

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
Caribou, “Swim”
, 2010

I mentioned earlier that sometimes a great album can simply be one you turn to again and again. The greatness of this record crept up on me, and it was ultimately its relistenable nature that puts it here. Dan Snaith, or Caribou as he’s known as, surprised fans of his previous work by diving right into the world of electro. And I don’t mean contemplative, abstract electronic music. This is some you can dance to as well. Taking modern beats and throwing in a dash of Krautrock, we get what is lazily labelled IDM (“intelligent” dance music). I’m not sure what’s intelligent about it, but I do like this generally organic approach to making music, one that’s satisfying on so many levels.

Odessa

Leave House
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4511VPO1LI

Ron Burgundy
To be added at later date

silversurfer
Wilco, "A Ghost Is Born"
, 2004

While I had Yankee Hotel Foxtrot on my Amazon wish list due to critical acclaim, it can be said that up until 2005 I had no idea who this band where. However, when we decided we'd like our annual music festival to be in Barcelona as Smashing Pumpkins were playing along with The White Stripes, Patty Smith, Slint, Modest Mouse and Band Of Horses among countless others, I thought it would be a good idea to get to know one of the headline acts. I read up on them and saw the words "country" mentioned quite a bit. I was a little unnerved but nevertheless went ahead and picked up YHF, Summerteeth and this record, A Ghost Is Born. To be honest, on first listen I wasn't convinced, and probably preferred their other records to this. It was quite melodic, at times quite quiet, while at other times almost progressive. But I persisted. And then it clicked one day we were driving down to London. And then I saw many of the songs played live. And it REALLY clicked. It's like this kind of sprawling landscape, and one which most definitely references the band's Sonic Youth influences within their own style (not to mention Jim O'Rourke produced it). From the sprawling Spiders, a ten minute epic which builds and builds with an awesome bassline, which the record centres around, to the tender, delicate pop of Hummingbird, this is a record which continues to grow on me, and one which leaves you discovering something new on each listen.

"Spiders (Kidsmoke)"

"Hummingbird"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6-hIczcC-A

transformers,
Dead Kennedys, "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables"
, 1980

"California Uber Alles"

"Kill the Poor"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8zhNb8ANe8
Last edited by silversurfer19 on October 26th, 2012, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

The Redwalls - De Nova (2005)

1 "Robinson Crusoe"
2 "Falling Down"
3 "Thank You"
4 "Love Her"
5 "Build a Bridge"
6 "Hung Up on the Way I'm Feeling"
7 "On My Way"
8 "It's Alright"
9 "Front Page"
10 "How the Story Goes"
11 "Back Together"
12 "Glory of War"
13 "Rock & Roll"

Bit too busy to write a lengthy description tonight... but I've featured these guys already, so you're all already familiar.

"Robinson Crusoe"

"Falling Down" (listen to the song, but ignore the fan-made video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwzWFknuzog
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: Indeed, a much softer side to the Zep songs I know but this wasn't bad at all.

Geez: I've only explored 60s rock quite recently, and while I prefer the more raw style of garage rock, I can certainly dig this. I'm sure if I was more knowledgeable about the era I could point out who they were covering/ripping off, but instead I will say those songs were damn fine.

John L: You had me all excited when you mentioned "post punk revival". And then I listened to the song. Not much post-punk going on for me. Instead it was more like a mix of 90s pop-punk and grunge lite. Hole meets Green Day.

Leetsu: I remember these guys (this guy?) well. There were some good songs (Novocaine for the Soul, Susan's House) though the lullabye-type music never motivated me to buy an album.

NSpan: I remember giving these guys the benefit of the doubt when you listed their other record. But to be honest these didn't do a whole lot for me (though the second song was better). It's another case of an act who, for me, can't seem to transcend their influences.

SS: You perfectly described my response to the record. It's definitely a slow-burner. Great song choices too.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

englishozzy Led Zeppelin, "Houses of the Holy", 1973 - Nice songs. I liked them a lot. I've always thought just having a compilation was enough but now I think I'm wrong and need to explore more.

Geezer The Beatles, "Meet The Beatles",1964 - Obviously you can't go wrong with The Beatles and one day I'll explore their albums. Although I don't think this era, and this album, would ever by my favourite.

BleedBlackandGold StellaStarr*, "StellaStarr*", 2003 - Gotta love the bargain buys that surprise. I'm sure I've had a few but none spring to mind. Anyway definitely a catchy song. I listened to it on the train on the way to work and the chorus was stuck in my head for the next hour or so. Didn't last though...can't remember it now.

Leestu eels, "Beautiful Freak", 1996 - Sorry about these videos (and lack of intros lately). I prepared this bunch of ten albums in a last minute rush a while ago and in this case didn't check them properly.

numbersix Caribou, “Swim”, 2010 - Not being a fan of much electro at all I wasn't expecting much but these songs were good. I mean they actually sounded like listenable songs not just repetitive pieces of music. Not bad.

silversurfer Wilco, "A Ghost Is Born", 2004 - Oh man if Spiders had of been the first Wilco song I ever heard instead of the not very interesting (to me) California Stars I could possibly be a Wilco fan today instead of just disregarding them. Words cannot adequately express how awesome I thought that song was. Hummingbird appealed to me a lot too.

Nspan The Redwalls, "De Nova", 2005 - Both songs sounded okay too me. Not awesome, but decent enough. Pointless trivia - The real person that Daniel Defoe (very) loosely based Robinson Crusoe on shares the same surname as me. Possibly distantly related somehow but not directly as I don't think he ever had children.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

The Beatles - Meet the Beatles - 4/10
StellaStarr - StellaStar - 5/10
eels - Beautiful Freak - 4/10
Caribou - Swim - 6/10
Wilco - A Ghost is Born - 5/10
The Redwalls - De Nova - 6/10
"Then telephone for an axe"