Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Post by silversurfer19 »

Now that I've caught up on the last few days selections I was aiming to post no.83 today, so that I can keep on track with the one record a day concept. I need selections from Geezer, NSpan and Ron though, so if you could get them through to me in the next 6 hours or so that'd be great.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Sorry, Surf. Thought the last package was the one for today. I'll get that to you.

I wouldn't count on NSpan!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

The Kinks
- The Kinks (1964)

Side One
"Beautiful Delilah"
"So Mystifying"
"Just Can't Go to Sleep"
"Long Tall Shorty"
"I Took My Baby Home"
"I'm a Lover Not a Fighter"
"You Really Got Me"

Side Two
"Cadillac"
"Bald Headed Woman"
"Revenge"
"Too Much Monkey Business"
"I've Been Driving On Bald Mountain"
"Stop Your Sobbing"
"Got Love If You Want It"

The debut albums from The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Kinks all share a similar thread. They're struggling (but potentially brilliant) English bands trying to find their niche. They fall back on covers of blues and R&B, seemingly less-than-confident in their own songwriting. Of the three, The Kinks' debut is the rawest, loudest, and most indicative of their later sound. Right out of the gate, Ray Davies' scored big with "You Really Got Me"--a feat that has no parallel with the aforementioned bands. A bit unsure of their own skills as musicians, they brought on Jon Lord (of later Deep Purple fame) on keyboards and Jimmy Page (of later Led Zeppelin fame) on guitar. Though it might be noted that Jimmy doesn't play on "You Really Got Me"--that's Dave Davies shredding away.

Not my absolute favorite Kinks album, but it's an explosive debut with major indications of bigger things to come. And a great listen in its own right.

"Revenge"

"Stop Your Sobbing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQUKN5G9xk
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I wasn't expecting anything from either Ron or NSpan, but then here we go with NSpan's no.84. I was a little off kelter over the weekend, it's hard to post at the same time when you're out and about with lots to do so I was filling in whenever I could. To get back on track I want to post 83 today, but I know with the disjointed posting last couple of days a few will have been thrown off track (especially with time differences etc). Thanks for your pick anyway, and as well as updating this thread's pick with BleedBlackNGold's picks, I'll post no.83 shortly...

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Alyson System of a Down, "Mesmerize", 2005
I guess you've always been good at hiding your guilty pleasures from me (well, at least as far as music goes). But you're exposed now. And we can no longer be friends.

englishozzy Trent Dabbs, "Your Side Now", 2010
Pleasant. No major hooks to really grab me, but it was nice enough.

Geezer Incubus, "A Crow Left of the Murder", 2004
Never got into these guys... but your picks sounded much better than the band I remember disliking.

BleedBlackandGold Taking Back Sunday, "Tell All Your Friends", 2002
I actually thought the term "emo" had gained such a stigma that even supporters of the genre stopped using it to describe music. Your selection wasn't too shabby, though I wasn't particularly into it. Fun video.

Leestu The Pixies, “Bossanova”, 1990
Doolittle is a masterpiece... but I still maintain that Bossanova is their greatest moment. I'm honestly surprised that anyone would place Surfer Rosa in front of this. Surf said it's a bit too "spacey"--but I think it's the perfect blend of ethereal production, surf-rock, and the Pixies' signature loudQUIETloud sound. I would say that Trompe Le Monde tipped the scales into the realm of "too spacey" (musically and lyrically). But I think that was a result of less band involvement and Frank Black taking over nearly all of the writing duties. In fact, that particular album makes perfect sense as a stepping stone toward the style of his early solo work. Anyway, I'll ramble some more when this shows up on my own list.

Good selections, by the way. "Is She Weird" is a solid--though somewhat atypical--Pixies track. And "Dig for Fire" is (in my humble opinion) one of the best songs they ever wrote. A great tribute to the Talking Heads.

numbersix Wilco, "A Ghost is Born", 2004
Personally, I dig A.M.. They gained such a lofty reputation that I feel like some of their later records are a bit over-ambitious. A Ghost is Born is good stuff, nonetheless. In terms of alt-country, I also recommend: Eleven Hundred Springs, Brothers and Sisters, Calexico, Blue Giant, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Guy Forsyth, Fleet Foxes, and The Country (a Gram Rabbit side-project). And I just assume any Wilco fan is already familiar with Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt. I've also been trying to give Vic Chesnutt a chance since his collaboration with Elf Power.

Ron Burgundy Vampire Weekend, "Vampire Weekend", 2008
These guys have an AMAZING ear for melody. Catchy as hell. Still haven't gotten the second album.

silversurfer Neil Young, "After The Gold Rush", 1970
Another contender for my own list. Great album. I consider Harvest to be a sister-album of sorts to this. On the Beach and Everybody Knows This is Nowhere probably rank as my absolute favorites.

transformers The Clash, "London Calling", 1979
Not sure if there's anything left to be said about these guys. Who doesn't groove a little to this album now and then?

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.83

Alyson
Stone Temple Pilots, "Purple"
, 1994

Sounds better played LOUD. Love me some STP - I listened to this album before EVERY soccer game in highschool. It was one of those rituals you just HAD to do. I feel like it holds up.

"Interstate Love Song"

englishozzy
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, "Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!"
, 2008

The first album that really got me listening to Nick Cave, it's still my favourite although I am enjoying the Grinderman albums. My two favourite tracks from this album just happen to be the opening and closing ones.

"Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!"

"More News from Nowhere"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MajmI5j7Bs

Geezer
Pearl Jam, "Vs"
, 1993

1.Go – 3 stars
2.Animal – 4 stars
3.Daughter – 5 stars
4.Glorified G – 3 stars
5.Dissident – 5 stars
6.W.M.A. - 2 stars
7.Blood – 2 stars
8.Rearviewmirror – 5 stars
9.Rats – 3 stars
10.Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town – 5 stars
11.Leash – 4 stars
12.Indifference – 2 stars

The follow-up to one of the greatest debut albums of all-time, Pearl Jam's Ten, continued their success, although to a slightly lesser degree, and also served as the last great PJ album. Save it, Spannaus!

"Daughter"

"Rearviewmirror"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfqzQKt9UeA

BleedBlackandGold
Jawbreaker, "24 Hour Revenge Theorpy"
, 1994

Their never was and will never be another Jawbreaker this band was a true original with everything they did

"Do You Still Hate Me?"

Leestu
Billy Bragg, “Talking with the Taxman about Poetry”
, 1986

I love the album title!...and then it has the subtitle “The Difficult Third Album”. It may have proved difficult but I loved it when it came out. It contains two singles, Levi Stubb’s Tears from my top 100 songs, and Greetings to the New Brunette. With some great one liners (“marriage is when we admit our parents were probably right”) and lyrics giving us things to think about while we enjoy the music, he is one of my favourite singer/songwriters.

“Greetings to the New Brunette”

“Ideology”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVwGbYe9UYc

NSpan
The Replacements, "Let It Be"
, 1984

Side A
1. "I Will Dare"
2. "Favorite Thing"
3. "We're Comin' Out"
4. "Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out"
5. "Androgynous"
6. "Black Diamond"

Side B
1. "Unsatisfied"
2. "Seen Your Video"
3. "Gary's Got a Boner"
4. "Sixteen Blue"
5. "Answering Machine"

The third record by The Replacements is actually NOT my favorite... but it's damn close (and I imagine you all can guess which album is coming up very soon on my list). But Let It Be was my first exposure to the band. And it stuck almost immediately. It's such an odd mixture of authentic punk sensibility and pop accessibility, though I certainly wouldn't label it as "punk" nor pure "pop." If anything, this predates the post-grunge alt-rock of the mid-90s. Though few ever did it as good (much less better). I'm pretty sure everybody here knows--and loves--these guys, so I don't think I need to convince anybody of anything. I'll just let the music speak for itself:

"I Will Dare"

"Favorite Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_FDZF3btHM

numbersix
Neil Young, "Harvest"
, 1972

This album is an awkward mix between Young’s restrained folk sound and a more ambitious attempt to employ strings for a grander, more dramatic style (something he and Jack Nietzsche already attempted when in Buffalo Springfield. Check out the soaring Expecting to Fly to hear what I mean). And the experiment makes for a varied and commendable record. It helps that it contains some of Young’s most powerful songs, such as the shuffling title track, the anthemic Heart of Gold, the moving Old Man, and the drug-addiction themed The Needle and the Damage Done.

"Old Man"

"Words (Between the Lines of Age)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN53WZjCL_g

Ron Burgundy
Prodigy, "Invaders must Die"
, 2009

"Colours"

silversurfer
Nine Inch Nails, "The Downward Spiral"
, 1994

When I was growing up in school the scary kids would always be wearing these NIN hoodies. You know the kids, big, long hair and an inorbitant amounts of body odour. Not like us geeks... Needless to say, I steered clear of these guys, and their musical preferences, so much so that I didn't even hear Closer until I was closer to my twenties than my teens. Eventually though I discovered this record along with Pretty Hate Machine in a spot of record store supermarket sweep, and I haven't looked back since. Both their debut and With Teeth even came close to making my list, though The Downward Spiral was the only one which eventually made the cut. So what did I think of it?, I hear you ask. Well, it is indeed just as scary as those guys I avoided like the plague, it's dark, mysterious and abrasive. Just like those guys. But there is more to it though, there's a majesty which sweeps the record, you find yourself dragged down into this gritty underworld. And, well, you find yourself enjoying it. It's industrial, as you would expect, there has been a meticulous effort in regards to production of the record, but somehow despite this the record does not feel cold and impenetrable. At times its even rather touching. Which was a big surprise. Just like the surprise the twelve year old me would probably be when he finds out that the 30 year old me is in fact good friends with lots of those shaggy, scary kids in hoodies. Sometimes you don't quite get what you expect from a record. Or people.

"March Of The Pigs"

"Heresy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvz-fYbFN_o

transformers
Unearth, "Darkness in the Light"
, 2011

Unearth is one of my favorite bands of all-time. They were one of the pioneering bands of the metalcore genre (Massachusetts represent!) and haven't lost a step in their almost 15 year career. Their most recent record is without a doubt their best and most polished work. It takes the melodic undertones, aggression, trademark breakdowns, and excellent guitar solos from all four of their previous albums and blends them together organically and beyond effectively to make a hell of a metal record.

"Arise the War Cry"

"Watch it Burn"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWjTaaWyFkA
Last edited by silversurfer19 on October 1st, 2012, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Wow Nspan! Bossanova their best record? A bit of a spoiler here but it's my least favourite. Still being the Pixies their worst album is better than most bands best, and I've still listened to it way too many times to even guesstimate a number and still listen to it regularly. All four have a permanent place in my car...and in my heart.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

For sure, man. Hands down. Honestly, I wouldn't argue with someone who prefers Doolittle (as that record is probably the 'definitive' Pixies album despite my personal preference)... but I couldn't imagine Bossanova being ranked "last" out of the four official LPs (Come On Pilgrim being a glorified EP).

If someone was really into the Pixies but not so much Frank Black, I could see them preferring Surfer Rosa. If someone was really into solo Frank Black and only got into the Pixies retroactively, I could see them preferring Trompe Le Monde. But preferring BOTH over Bossanova? You're just crazy!

Nonetheless, I got 5 albums that are either Pixies or Pixies-related upcoming on my list, so I'm sure we'll discuss this further.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Best line in a Pixies song: Shake your butt! (La La Love You)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote:
numbersix Wilco, "A Ghost is Born", 2004
Personally, I dig A.M.. They gained such a lofty reputation that I feel like some of their later records are a bit over-ambitious. A Ghost is Born is good stuff, nonetheless. In terms of alt-country, I also recommend: Eleven Hundred Springs, Brothers and Sisters, Calexico, Blue Giant, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Guy Forsyth, Fleet Foxes, and The Country (a Gram Rabbit side-project). And I just assume any Wilco fan is already familiar with Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt. I've also been trying to give Vic Chesnutt a chance since his collaboration with Elf Power.
I actually don't know Son Volt. Must look into them/him/her. Calexico and Lucinda I like. Fleet Foxes are a bit over-rated but have a few decent songs. My, that's quite a list, NSpan. Will we be seeing any of these in your Top 100?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote: If someone was really into the Pixies but not so much Frank Black, I could see them preferring Surfer Rosa. If someone was really into solo Frank Black and only got into the Pixies retroactively, I could see them preferring Trompe Le Monde. But preferring BOTH over Bossanova? You're just crazy!
Kind agree here. Bossanova is much better than Trompe, which to me felt like a band falling apart. But Surfer and Doolittle are the two best albums by a long way. More on these later...

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Alyson: Same points as before. Not bad but not enough!

Ozzy: Odd seeing you go from very light indie to alt heavyweight Nick Cave. This album got a lot of great reviews but I found it a bit over-rated. Nick took the Grinderman approach but didn't rock out in the same way, so musically it feels a little unsure. Lyrically and conceptually it's great. I also love We Call Upon the Author and Hold On To Yourself. But there are a good half dozen of his records that trump this.

Geez: My brother's a huge Pearl Jam fan. He still has the ticket stub to a gig with these guys and RHCP in 92 or 93. As for me, it's one of those acts I don't dislike but have never cared to get into. Perhaps it's because without the vocals/lyrics the music actually feels a little dull to me.

John L: Despite the historical context, this didn't feel particularly special.

Leets: Bragg is always good in small doses, but he does tend to repeat himself, and becomes ripe for parody pretty quickly. At best he sounds like a mix of The Jam and The Smiths.

NSpan: Wow, bizarre seeing you being part of SS's post for once ;). Loved these songs. Very catchy. I think one success from this collective project is that I'm going to come out of it as a The Replacements fan.

SS: Wasn't bad. Leaning towards metal, but not in a bad way.

Tranny: Leaning towards metal in a bad way ;)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Alyson Stone Temple Pilots, "Purple", 1994 - Again, reminds me that while nothing brilliant, I really should give this record another spin.

englishozzy
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, "Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!"
, 2008 - Didn't do it for me, sorry. I seem to much prefer Nick Cave's side projects than his Bad Seeds work, as both his Grinderman and Birthday Party records showcased here I've really enjoyed, while I've never been able to fully get into this work of his. I want to like it, but something just doesn't click.

Geezer Pearl Jam, "Vs", 1993 - Similarly to Stone Temple Pilots, these are a band that for me are decent, without ever truly reaching the heights of their peers of the time. Not that they couldn't produce bad songs, many of their singles are very good, but for some reason over the course of an album I seem to lose interest, hence I haven't had the urge to listen to Ten in numerous years and never bothered researching other records of theirs. Maybe again I need to give them another go, as I knew these songs and enjoyed them.

BleedBlackandGold Jawbreaker, "24 Hour Revenge Theorpy", 1994 - Not exactly the original act I was expecting going into it by your comments, I've heard much similar to this before through the likes of Quicksand etc, but not that it was a bad thing. I liked it, and will definitely be checking out more of their work.

Leestu Billy Bragg, “Talking with the Taxman about Poetry”, 1986 - Man, if I didn't already know I would have swore that was Paul Weller singing! It was okay, I could see myself listening along to this every so often. Nothing ground breaking, but certainly not bad.

NSpan The Replacements, "Let It Be", 1984 - Freakin' love it, two of my favourite songs of theirs.

numbersix Neil Young, "Harvest", 1972 - Bizarre that we have two Young albums on consecutive days, and while I prefer Gold Rush, this is still a very decent record, with Old Man being one of his best songs.

transformers Unearth, "Darkness in the Light", 2011 - I really wanted to like this, its been a good day for picks and I wanted to continue the run. But while some of the guitar riffs were great, about 1.5 minutes before the end the song broke down and I totally lost interest. And the voice didn't help. Lots of potential there, just didn't quite do it for me.

BleedBlackandGold

Post by BleedBlackandGold »

You can argue quicksand but I've never seen a band be so all over the place as far as range of speed throughout the record . and His vocals are very different.

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

I am glad I gave 81-90 to SS over a week ago, because I am definitely WAAAAYYY behind. I need to devote a night listening to everything, but after a quick skim, I can honestly say that every single person has posted at least one album that is on my list or that really should have been and that I love. I see a lot of familiar favorites and some all new that I cannot wait to check out. Also the commentary is quite interesting - there is definitely a wide variety of tastes, with an interesting overlap for some.

Also, Nick - I know you well enough to never play SOAD in your presence, but I will say almost all of the nostalgia that goes with that album is because it was the only album your sister had in her car the entire summer we lived in NYC. So you can blame a Spannaus for that one :) It's ok though, your influence is more clearly apparent in my top picks.
Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.