America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Geezer »

As I predicted, the four who went through were Tom, Turf, Tim and Donovan and Rebecca. Crazy when the two I put as wild cards were the two there with D&R in the final grouping. I had no idea what way they were going to go, but needless to say, I'm very pleased they went with them. I'm hoping Hawley Magic gets to come back as a Wild Card act, and we pretty much know that Danielle will.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Agreed on all counts.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Is there a video online of the so-called particularly impressive illusion performed by "Hawley Magic" ?

I don't have much interest in the show overall, but I'm always game for watching a good magic trick... and it's always fun to stick my head into Shryke and Geezer's clubhouse every now and then.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

You mean Shryke and Geezer's boudoir

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

As requested, Spanny:

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Thanks for the link. Surprisingly (to me), the judges actually had good advice. The illusion was good; the presentation was awful and dated. I hate choreographed magic shows. Maybe that's why I found myself digging up Penn & Teller: Fool Us videos on YouTube recently...
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geez, according to Wikipedia, it's been posted about which acts will be performing next week (and, by process of elimination, who will be performing the following week). Don't know if it's true, but Wikipedia's been right so far.

Week 3:

All Beef Patty
All Wheel Sports
Cristin Sandu
Elusive
Inspire the Fire
Jacob Williams
Jake Wesley Rogers
Light Wire Theater
Mike Price, Rock Star Juggler
Spencer Horsman
The Untouchables
Wordspit, The Illest!

From this group, the ones that I'd like to see advance are Wordspit, Spencer Horsman and Jacob Williams. Depending on how they do, I might also root for Cristin Sandu and The Untouchables.

I also won't count out All Beef Patty (he's a novelty act but he can really sing) or Inspire the Fire (for a dance/singing act, they can be memorable), or, for that matter, Light Wire Theater, the Team iLuminate ripoff. Even Jake Wesley Rogers has a shot if he can impress the judges and the girls voting at home.

The only ones I think have no shot are Mike Price (he's a juggler), Elusive (one B-boy dancer is not enough, he's got nowhere the charisma of Turf) and All Wheel Sports (boooooooring).

Week 4:

All That!
David "The Bullet" Smith
Eric & Olivia
Eric Dittelman
Horse
Joe Castillo
Lindsey Norton
Olate Dogs
Sebastian "El Charro de Oro"
Ulysses
Unity in Motion
William Close

Wow. Strange that all three acts that were passed straight through Vegas would all be put on the same show. However, I think William Close and Olate Dogs will prevail and David Smith will be out. I would love to see Joe Castillo put through as well, as well as Sebastian, because he's so damn cute and so damn good (despite your misgivings about mariachi music). I think the clock will run out on Eric & Olivia and Ulysses, and I hope the madness that is Horse ends with this performance.

Unity in Motion is high on Howard's list to advance, and it may come down to either them or All That!, depending on who performs better. Lindsey Norton has an outside shot. and Eric Dittelman might get a judges' vote for the simple matter that no magic act has made it to the next round (depending on what Spencer Horsman does).

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

All Beef Patty - I like him. I don't know what kind of shot he has, it is a really tough field. The talent must really outshine the novelty for him to have any shot.

All Wheel Sports - I hope they don't make it, but I wouldn't count them out entirely.

Cristin Sandu - I love this guy. His act is so freaking dangerous and impressive. You are on edge the entire way through. I think he'll get votes.

Elusive - He is a tremendous dancer, but it's really really hard not to compare him to Turf, who has more emotion to him and probably more talent. He's got an outside shot but some others need to screw up first.

Inspire the Fire - I'm not a huge fan. They are good but nothing wows you about them. I think their road ends here.

Jacob Williams - Love this kid. Will his nerves get the best of him? Can this show support two comedians in the semis? Two big questions that will be answered next week.

Jake Wesley Rogers - I think he can be a star. I think he can sing his ass off, the question is whether or not he can perform under the big lights. Can he match Edon? We shall see!

Light Wire Theater - I sure hope they get booted off, but I'm skeptical that they do. I think they get a great spot and the votes roll in. If iLuminate can finish third, there is a high likelihood that the ripoffs will make it far as well.

Mike Price, Rock Star Juggler - He's a juggler, which is great, I like jugglers, but this is as far as this particular talent can get them.

Spencer Horsman - If he can pull off a great stunt, he's certainly got a shot of moving on. Great showman.

The Untouchables - Could be the best dance group we have. How can you count them out?

Wordspit, The Illest! - I love this act, and they are easily the best of the bands this year on the show.

Wow... I think I was positive on about ten out of twelve of these acts... That is going to make it VERY interesting. I can't call it. Not without performances anyway. Who do I want to see move on? Wordspit, Jacob Williams, Cristin Sandu and Spencer Horseman, with Jake Wesley Rogers in the 5 spot with a wild card invite all but guaranteed. Who it will be will all depend on how they perform, but I could see any number of possibilities.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

All That! - They are exceptional at what they do. If what they do is popular with America, they have a great shot. I'm not sure it is though, depends on the performance and the other acts. Their name sucks though.

David "The Bullet" Smith -

Eric & Olivia - They just aren't good enough to get past this stage. It was nice while it lasted.

Eric Dittelman - I absolutely love him and think he is destined for a Vegas act regardless of whether he wins or not, but he should get through here.

Horse - I just love that we get to watch him one more time. I think he is this year's Sam B. Not much actually talent, but makes the quarters and I find it hilarious.

Joe Castillo- Absolutely love him and think he moves on. It is very Silhouettes, and we know how far they went.

Lindsey Norton - Absolutely fantastic dancer, but is this the right stage for her? Should she be on an exclusive dancing only style show? Probably, but we'll find out.

Olate Dogs - They are a lock to move on if they don't absolutely blow it. However, there is more of a chance of that when relying on animals. I don't see it happening but it could.

Sebastian "El Charro de Oro" - They are fantastic, I just don't think they will connect with America and they won't get the votes.

Ulysses - Another novelty act that has absolutely no chance of getting past this group, but it will be fun to watch him go on one more time. I like him.

Unity in Motion - I didn't like their Vegas audition. I don't get what Howard sees in them, but maybe they absolutely kill it on this stage. If they do, they would have a shot. Can't mess up again.

William Close - It has been a long while since we have seen him perform, but everyone still remembers him. It will be fascinating to see where he goes from here? Will it be the same instrument or something different? Will he kill it like he did in his audition? I'd bet that he does.

So I don't think this group is quite as strong as the week 3 group, but the cream of this crop is extremely strong. For that reason, I see William Close, Olate Dogs, Joe Castillo and Eric Dittleman moving on, without too much of a threat from the others. If they do get a threat, it will come from dance, whether that be All That, Lindsey or Unity In Motion.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The Untouchables - They were exceptional. The best dance group so far. They are really, REALLY good dancers, especially for being so young.

Mike Price - He is a fantastic juggler and did some very nice tricks. But juggling is not a million dollar act. It never will be.

Inspire the Fire - They have come as far as they deserve to go. Good, not great, and certainly not a million dollar act.

Cristin Sandu - I love the guy, I really do. Fuck. Why did he have to screw up? That was going to be really cool. Obviously no shot now.

Elusive - I wasn't blown away, and a solo dance act HAS to blow you away to go through. I think the pressure is really getting to everyone tonight, as they have said.

Jake Wesley Rodgers - His song choice was AWFUL. Why did he change everything that got him here? The song absolutely killed him. He was so great the first two times around, so disappointing. It is wide open for the next few acts...

All Wheel Sports - It is just a mess. Too much going on. I can't follow it. Completely unorganized. Some of the stuff up there was cool, but it doesn't work as a group. Howie absolutely nailed his analysis, it does not translate to TV.

Wordspit and the Illest - I applaud the boldness of doing their own song. I wish there was more of it on this show. I thought they put on a fantastic show. Very Rage Against the Machine type feel. Incredible energy. And the song was very good. That said, I agree with the judges. America sucks and probably won't vote for them because they took the risk. I loved it and hope they go through. Love what Howard said. They have so much talent.

Jacob Williams - I like him so much. He is extremely raw and clearly just starting out. He's not as good as Tom, but he's very good in his own right. Comedy is so hard to stand up there in front of an audience and do and not just pee your pants. I hope he gets votes, he deserves it. Very funny. And even if he doesn't, I think his future is very bright.

All Beef Patty - He's got a great voice, but I think the nerves got to him. He didn't show any stage presence at all, mostly just standing still. If you want to be great doing this, you have to COMMAND that stage. He didn't.

Spencer Horseman - He blew it. His first two were so great. Basically what the judges said. He is great as an escape artist, not as a magician. He never should have gone behind the curtain, plus it took to long to get going. Blew it BIG TIME.

Light Wire Theater - I have no idea what these judges are talking about. I was bored. I was NEVER bored with Team iLuminate. They are a rip off and they are not even a good one. Team iLuminate had tremendous dancers, these people walk back and forth. It is incredibly dull compared to what iLuminate did. They will move on, especially on such a weak night, but they do NOT deserve it.

So, yeah, a lot of acts screwed this up. Here's what I think happens:

Light wire Theater, The Untouchables and Jacob Williams will move on. The judges will have to choose between Wordspit and the Illest and All Wheel Sports. Of which they will choose All Wheel Sports.

What I want to happen: Untouchables, Jacob Williams, Wordspit and the Illest and they give Cristin Sandu a complete pass and put him through anyway for being awesome... yeah there were only 3 deserving acts tonight, and I think only two of them will get through.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geez, I envy you that you are all done watching before I've even started.

The Untouchables - Wow. I can't believe that these are all preteens dancing. They are so intense, so focused... but given who their parents/teachers are, I shouldn't be surprised. They'd better move on.

Mike Price - I give him credit, but even the best juggler in the world is not a Vegas act... it's a circus act. There's a difference.

Inspire the Fire - I like them, but it was better suited for off-off-Broadway, not Vegas. And haven't we had enough Katy Perry by now?

Cristin Sandu - Shoot. I feel for him, and for you. Sadly, I don't think he'll get anywhere near the judges' choice. I'm glad he's got a medical career to fall back on. It was nice that Howie lead a round of applause for him, which is more than other acts that mess up usually get.

Elusive - Granted, I think he's got more actual dance-ability than Turf, but he's been totally overshadowed by him by the people that run the show. And besides, after The Untouchables, pretty much everything pales by comparison.

Jake Wesley Rogers - Hard to believe he's only one year older than Edon, he looks at least four years older! It wasn't a bad performance; it was right on the level of the hot Aussie girl two weeks ago... good, but not that memorable. He'll have a great future once he gets some seasoning.

All Wheel Sports - To their credit, they were more fun to watch than the BMX guys. More flash, better coordination. That being said, there's still too much going on at once.

Wordspit and the Illest! - Loved the energy, and I really applaud their choice to do an original song. They really defended themselves well too. I hope they move on, though I must confess, I couldn't understand one single word the lead singer was rapping.

Jacob Williams - He's good. His set wasn't as good as his audition, but he really plays the whole "awkward kid" thing really well.

All Beef Patty - Decent job, but he's no Poppycock. Poppycock demanded attention, but this performance had me watching the dancers more than him.

Spencer Horsman - I loved the trick! It fell a little short visually, but I think he's a great act. I hope he moves on, but he probably won't.

Light Wire Theater - I'm actually starting to warm up to this act. I'll never like tham as much as Team iLuminate, but I am really almost to the point where I can get behind them. If they win the season, I don't think I'll be upset.

Who I hope moves on: Untouchables, Wordspit, Jacob Williams, Lightwire Theater

Who I think will move on: Untouchables, Lightwire Theater, Jacob Williams, and either Wordspit or All Wheel Sports, just as you said.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

You really loved the trick from Spencer? I thought it fell flat in just about every way it could. The others had me on the edge of my seat holding my breath. This one was just really poorly executed, in my opinion.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow, Geez, you called it exactly. Jacob, The Untouchables and Lightwire Theater are in, and All Wheel Sports got the nod over Wordspit. That's just eerie.

Hopefully Wordspit will be back on the Wild Card show.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

If I remember correctly, they bring back all of the "just missed" contestants. I think that is how they have done it the past couple years.

I didn't even watch the show tonight, was busy watching Batman Begins. But good to know I know this contest as much as I know the box office ;)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

So, again, here who is performing next week:

David "Bullet" Smith
All That!
Lindsey Norton
Eric and Olivia
Eric Dittelman
Horse
Olate Dogs
Sebastian El Charro del Oro
Ulysses
Unity in Motion
William Close

I am so torn. I would love to see Olate Dogs, William Close, Joe Castillo and Eric Dittelman go through, but I can't deny that it is quite possible that Sebastian, Lindsey, All That! or UIM might have spectacular performances.

And then, based on evidence, here is who I expect on the WC show:

Definitely:
Todd Oliver
Daniel Stallings
Wordspit and the Illest!
Andrew De Leon
Mary Joyner
At least 2 acts from QF4, depending on how things go.

Possibly:
Hawley Magic
Ben Blaque
Spencer Horsman
Jake Wesley Rogers
Cristin Sandu

What we can infer: with Tom and Jacob moving on, there won't be any more comedians given a chance.