#30 - I Saw the Devil (2010)

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

#30 - I Saw the Devil (2010)

Post by NSpan »

I Saw the Devil (2010)

Director:
Jee-woon Kim

Writer:
Hoon-jung Park

Cast:
Byung-hun Lee
Min-sik Choi

As the credits rolled on this movie, I instantly despised it. I was completely unsatisfied with the resolution. That shouldn't have been a huge surprise, as modern Asian cinema rarely gives a shit about proper closure. But, despite my disdain, the movie stayed with me. Some discussion with Chien on these boards prompted me to re-watch it. It's still hard to say exactly how I feel about it--but I can't deny that it's a powerful film. And, in a way, the fact that the ending doesn't go where you want it to makes it all the more compelling.

I daresay that this is the most brutal revenge movie I have ever seen. That includes Thriller: A Cruel Picture, Old Boy, and the original versions of I Spit On Your Grave, Straw Dogs, Ichi the Killer, and The Last House on the Left. That isn't to say it's the goriest or the most violent (that said, there's still a lot of gore and violence)... it simply has the most impact on the viewer.

I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying that it is, ultimately, a very unsatisfying story. But, whereas the other movies I listed could be described as "Revenge Fantasy," Jee-woon Kim's difficult film is a much more realistic portrayal of revenge taken to its most extreme.

In terms of a recommended double-feature (or a "movie club sandwich"), I'm not sure what to pick. My advice would be to go with a revenge movie that has a particularly satisfying ending: such as Kill Bill I & II ... just compare how shockingly different it is from I Saw the Devil.

PS. Is it just me, or does this film contain a pretty major nod to Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation??
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: #30 - I Saw the Devil (2010)

Post by Chienfantome »

Aaaaaaaah, you revisited "I saw the Devil" NSpan !
Well I'm glad our discussions about the film ignited more curiosity and orientated you towards it again. The ending sure is something, but for me it is not unsatisfying.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

jasongunman

Post by jasongunman »

Hi. Guy's This is Jason gunman. I have seen while searching on imdb that the original title of the movie is Akmareul boatda. And with this i think its a Chinese movie. And i really like watching these type of movies that have some suspense and thriller. So I'm really thankful to you for sharing the movie. I will defiantly looking to watch the movie in future.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Actually Jason, I saw the devil is a Korean film, and not a chinese one. "Akmaleul Poatda" can either be translated in English by "I saw the Devil", like it was entitled, or "I met the Devil". In France, the distrib chose to name it "J'ai rencontré le Diable", "I met the Devil".

(yes, this was the "Look-I-know-how-to-speak-Korean" minute. But don't take it for a showing off moment, but more like a foreign language lesson) ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

jasongunman

Post by jasongunman »

Sorry for writing the movie a Chinese movie. I have just noticed that this movie is not the Chinese one but a Korean movie. But the movie was really nice to watch and i enjoyed it so much.