America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Shrykespeare »

Mika Gregoria was the Asian teenage girl (Korean, I think) with the grown-up voice.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Still not ringing a bell. Maybe I was distracted at that part.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shryke did you watch this week? I've been patiently awaiting your breakdown!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Sorry Geez, It's been such a hectically hectic week, a monument to hecticity. Here you go:

The Flyte Cru, 20-34, bastketball acrobats - I remember a few seasons ago a group called Acrodunk, who were five times better than these guys, who drunked while jumping through flaming hoops, and they somehow missed the Top 20. These guys won't make it that far. They're a fair-to-middling halftime show, but that's all.

Max, aerialist - Not bad, but nothing Vegas-worthy.

New York Irish Dance company - I just don't know... yes, they're different in that they are wearing body suits and masks, but to combine that with Irish jigging just makes the whole thing seem weird and creepy. I might be more impressed if we got more than five seconds of footage.

Jason Cordero, around 12, classical pianist - They've had piano prodigies on the show before. Jason may be the youngest, but again, I'll need to see more before I become invested in his future.

Let me just say this - Thank fucking GOD they didn't put through the seven-year-old rapper. I mean, maybe the judges could have not buzzed him, complimented him and sent him home, but to bring him to tears on national TV? Jeez. I blame the kid's mother, who probably heard him rap once in his room and then brought him to the auditions, telling him, "don't worry, sweetie, they'll all love you as much as I do." There's cuteness and there's actual talent, and Mir Money had too much of one and not enough of the other.

Olate Dogs, 19 and 55, dog trainers - This was my favorite act of the week, and it's easily the best animal act EVER to be on AGT. The dogs were amazing, and even more, they were well-behaved when they weren't in use. Assuming they haven't just shown their entire bag of tricks, I hope that this act can buck precedent and go all the way to the top 10. You knew Sharon would love them, and Howard's comments afterward were hilarious. Loved them!

Horse, danger act - So it's finally happened. Someone saw Idiocracy and has decided to make "Oww! My Balls!" an actual act. So he's a freak of nature in that he can take dozens of shots to the groin and emerge unfazed. Interesting? Yes, for a second... but I couldn't watch it as it was happening for an hour. You just know people are going to come up to this guy in the street and just kick him in the balls, something will rupture and he'll die. Just like Houdini, kind of.

Wordspit & The Illest, band - They are my favorite of the bands so far (though I loathe the name). A really unique fusion of styles, like Jay-Z joining Living Colour and Nuttin But Stringz (not really hearing Pink Floyd like Howie did). Lead singer is a pro at whipping the crowd up, which is a plus. Can't wait to see what they'll do next.

Burton Crane, 77, singer - Jeez, why? Some old fart comes out with a $2 Casio and sings the hokiest song since "Pants on the Ground". If he makes it past Vegas, I will be very disappointed.

John Pizzi, 50, comedian/ventriloquist - Totally unfunny. They call him "original", but I've seen shtick like this as early as Monty Python's Flying Circus as well as classic Conan. Blech.

Donovan & Rebecca, 44 & 36, acrobalance duo - I appreciate the strength and control it takes to do this, and I like them, but it's not a Vegas act as it is. Acts like this are impressive, but their bag of tricks wears thin quickly. At least Ascendance had a wall and added extra members a few years ago. This is not as good.

Unity in Motion, 11-15, acrobat/dance group - Yet another dance group composed of young 'uns. They're starting to pile up.

Ivy Rose, band - Four hot Asian chicks singing Joan Jett? Hell, yes!!

All Beef Patty, drag queen/singer - He got some pipes, but can that outweigh the campiness of it all? He's not as flashy as Prince Poppycock, that's for sure.

Tom Cotter, 48, comedian - I liked this guy. Not as much as last week's comic/impressionist, but still pretty good. Assuming he nails Vegas, there's a chance they could let two stand-ups onto the show.

Stepz, 22, dancer - I found it interesting that just last week, the judges praised the shit out of Turf for doing basically the same thing as Stepz, but put the knock on Stepz by calling him unoriginal. They both have similar moves, similar backgrounds, and both got the crowd going. I find myself hoping that both make the show, since they are both more talented than most of the teen dance acts we've seen so far. (Note: I'd love to see Stepz and Turf do something TOGETHER... that would rock.)

And the pimp spot went to a bunch of untalented steroid abusers just so we could see Howard bust a move with them. Whatever.

Below are the best acts of the week.

Olate Dogs:

Wordspit The Illest:

Donovan & Rebecca:

Tom Cotter:

Stepz:

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The Flyte Cru, 20-34, bastketball acrobats - It's just the old show Slamball. Which was kinda cool, but there's a reason it failed.

Max, aerialist - I don't remember

New York Irish Dance company - I agree with everything you said.

Jason Cordero, around 12, classical pianist - He was great

Let me just say this - Completely agree. Poor kid, but he just wasn't good at all.

Olate Dogs, 19 and 55, dog trainers - FANTASTIC!! EASILY the best animal act they've ever had. I can't believe how well trained these dogs are.

Horse, danger act - I could barely watch, but I loved it!! He's a great showman.

Wordspit & The Illest, band - There is a lot of potential here. Probably more so than any other band.

Burton Crane, 77, singer - It WAS a catchy tune, well the "Whatcha gonna do?" part. I'm pretty sure I couldn't remember another line of the song to save my life.

John Pizzi, 50, comedian/ventriloquist - It was ok, not the worst comic act I've ever seen. But I hate ventriloquism.

Donovan & Rebecca, 44 & 36, acrobalance duo - I want to see what else they can do, because what they did was very impressive. Just need to ramp it up some.

Unity in Motion, 11-15, acrobat/dance group - They ALWAYS pile up. The cream will rise to the top in subsequent rounds.

Ivy Rose, band - I was not as enthused.

All Beef Patty, drag queen/singer - I loved it! I actually can't wait to see more, an I couldn't stop laughing at the name, it is TOO perfect.

Tom Cotter, 48, comedian - I disagree. This is a world class comedian, assuming he has more in his bag. And with his track record, I'm sure he does. I hope this is his big break. He is the first comedian on this show that I would pay money to see. Easily the best from the three seasons I have watched. I laughed out loud at EVERY joke, his timing was impeccable and he had really tremendous material. I hope he goes FAR. I'm glad Howie was such a fan. Love love loved it.

Stepz, 22, dancer - Yeah, it appears we have two Snap Boogies this year. It will be very interesting to see how they handle it.

"And the pimp spot went to a bunch of untalented steroid abusers just so we could see Howard bust a move with them. Whatever."

What!! Come on now! Everything from the point where Howard got up on stage was HILARIOUS! It made the whole night! Sure they are just a bunch of male strippers, but the Howard parts had me rolling.

ROBDude
Peter Gibbons

Post by ROBDude »

Ben Blaque reminded me of Katniss from The Hunger Games, while the Light Theater reminded me of Tron: Legacy.

There's 2 bad auditions that managed to get a big laugh out of me. Aori Jackson, who was the starter of the 1st season, managed to do magic tricks that caused major booing and Aori even had to take Howie's wedding ring, dress as a cop, take off his shirt, and the ring is hanging on his nibble. Unbeilivable. Not a good start to the Season.

But Kim McAfee's is a whole different story:

Current Film Watchlist:

Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire
Monkey Man
Civil War
Spy X Family: Code White
The First Omen
The Fall Guy
Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Highlights from this week (keep in mind I have to guess at a lot of the spellings of their names):

Monday

Inspire the Fire, 13-29, music/dance crew – Of all the singing-n’-dancing crews so far this season, this is one of the few that are memorable. They have a great story, a good look, and I think they can outlast the rest of the groups in their category.

All That, 23-36, clogging group – You weren’t watching at the time, Geez, but this act actually made the Top 10 back in Season One. I’m sure there are no eligibility issues (the format was very different back then, and it WAS six years ago). They’re good, and that’s a tough kind of dance to master.

Olesya Gulevic, hula hoop artist – Sexy and different. She adds to the sense of variety, but beyond that, I don’t have very high hopes.

Jonathan Hawley, illusionist – Nice illusion, but nothing we haven’t seen before. (To be fair, I still have no frickin’ clue how that trick is done. Want to see what else he has on his sleeve.)

Boss, contemporary dance group – For calling themselve “masculine”, it sure seemed pretty gay to me. Pass.

Distinguished Men of Brass, 24-60, brass band – My favorite act of the night. Cool, snazzy, classy, memorable. I want to see more.

Ulysses, 49, singer – Guy’s got a good voice, but… The “Love Boat” theme? Really? Does the world really need another Jack Jones? I’d love to hear the guy do actual songs, but if that’s not in his repertoire, forget him.

Tuesday

So many acts made it from this night we didn’t even get a lot of their names, or any footage at all except for a few scant seconds. What gives, show?!

Isaac Brown, 6 (which is 3 plus 2!), singer – I LOVE this kid! Finally, a preteen with equal parts cuteness and talent! He’s fearless, he’s got a decent voice for his age, and he’s got the chops to go far.

Spencer Horsman, 26, escape artist – Holy shit. I am blown away by the sheer wow factor of this kid and his trick. Makes the other “escape artist” loser from Monday look like the loser he is. THIS is what makes this show awesome.

Clog Academy, 5 ½ - ?, clog dancers – An awful lot of cloggers and jiggers this season, aren’t there?

Sven, violinist – guy’s got some flair, but my hopes aren’t high unless he can do something more impressive.

Jake Wesley Rogers, guitarist/singer – Always one young guy with a guitar and a good voice. I’d say he has a shot at Top 20, but he’s really it’ll be harder for him to get votes if he doesn’t ditch the nerdy glasses.

Cut Throat Freak Show & Eric Odditorium, 29-33 – There’s always one act every season whose sole purpose is to make me nauseous, and this was it. At least they didn’t stick rapiers through their cheeks.

And both hours, Nick ends the show by showing what a world-class ham he is. Love me some Nick Cannon.

Inspire the Fire:

All That:

Distinguished Men of Brass:

Ulysses:

Isaac Brown:

Spencer Horsman:

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Monday

Inspire the Fire, 13-29, music/dance crew – I dunno, I need to see more to discern all these dancers.

All That, 23-36, clogging group – Not sure which clogging group they are. There's a lot of them this year. Clogging is in.

Olesya Gulevic, hula hoop artist – It's hula hoops.

Jonathan Hawley, illusionist – Yeah I wasn't that impressed. Still hasn't been a great magician this year.

Boss, contemporary dance group – I don't remember.

Distinguished Men of Brass, 24-60, brass band – I definitely want to see more. They were some cool cats.

Ulysses, 49, singer – I feel the opposite. Stick to the theme songs! It is hilarious. This guy is the closest thing this season has had to Sam B. Loved him.

Tuesday

So many acts made it from this night we didn’t even get a lot of their names, or any footage at all except for a few scant seconds. What gives, show?!

I know! Was pissing me off.

Isaac Brown, 6 (which is 3 plus 2!), singer – STAR POWER. that is all I have to say. I honestly liked him just talking to the judges more than I liked his act. I could watch him do Q & A for an hour.

Spencer Horsman, 26, escape artist – It was good, but the escape didn't have the danger aspect of many others. It wouldn't have killed him, it may not have even hurt him that bad. If the jaws actually closed, sure, but that left a bad taste in my mouth. I want to see where he goes from there.

Clog Academy, 5 ½ - ?, clog dancers – Like I said above :)

Sven, violinist – There was a girl that did this same exact act two years ago. She had more flair and was cute. She didn't make it past Vegas, if I remember correctly.

Jake Wesley Rogers, guitarist/singer – I think the glasses may help him, and the Justin Bieber haircut doesn't hurt either. There is one every show, and he should be it.

Cut Throat Freak Show & Eric Odditorium, 29-33 – Yup, pretty much agree with your take.

Nick was just awesome there at the end with the voice-over guy.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shryke, we watched the winner of this competition tonight.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Yeah, I know. The second coming of Kevin Skinner, with a better back-story.

We also saw this season's Professor Splash and Rudi Macaggi.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Catching up on this past week's shows:

MONDAY

Sebastian de la Cruz and "El Charro de Oro", mariachi band, 10-30 - Loved this kid. Don't know if a mariachi band can headline in Vegas, but if it's possible, this kid can do it.

Bandbaz Brothers, 34-58, acrobats - Loved this. They are this season's Rudi Macaggi. I can't wait to see them ramp it up in the next round.

Tim Poe, 35, country singer - You know, Geez, I'm so glad I'm posting this now instead of right after when the show aired, given what's come to light since then. All I can say is... what a disappointment. Guy's got a great voice, but he had to go and make up an easily-disproven lie in order to gain the judges'/audiences' sympathy. For God sakes, the nerve it takes to pretend to be a war veteran! And of all the ailments to fake, a stutter that magically disappears when he sings? I was a little skeptical about that the first time around, and now I see why. I wonder if that girl that was with him was really his wife or just window dressing; if she's his wife, she should have talked him out of this stupid lie. He could have won the show. Now we'll never know. I mean, I don't know if lying about military service is grounds for dismissal, but it should be. No one's going to vote for his stupid lying ass now. Which means the contest is again wide open.

Ganbataar Contortion Sisters - Liked them, but there's not much room for improvement.

Edon Pinchot, about 13, singer - Good voice, but I need to hear more. And he REALLY needs to ditch the yarmulke.

Joe Castillo, sand artist - See what the Silhouettes started? A bevy of acts with artistic talent is now applying! This guy was phenomenal... I can't wait for him to go head to head with the CKMY's and the Light-Pen people. (And a great move going for the patriotic angle.)

David Smith, human cannonball - Definitely this year's Professor Splash, with one exception: this act CAN be made more spectacular other than by increasing the distance... he can add fire, spinning blades, whatever. If he can make it even better, I'll be behind him. If not, nope.

Sebastian de la Cruz:

Bandbaz Brothers:

Joe Castillo:

David Smith:

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare wrote: Tim Poe, 35, country singer - And of all the ailments to fake, a stutter that magically disappears when he sings?
Can't say I've watched the program, but stutterers quite often sing quite fine. I have friends who are exactly the same, while a singer called Gareth Gates was on the UK version of American Idol quite a few years ago, I think he came second, but he had an awful stutter. Somehow through singing it can disappear, but it's hardly unusual. So while the guy may have been lying his ass off, that particular impediment may have been real.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

TUESDAY

Aurora Light Painters, 38-46, performance artists - Another act that proves why I love this show. I mean, what other network should would you find such an act on? It's wonderful. Of all the purely "artistic" acts, I think this has the chance to go the farthest. (Plus, I love the song they chose... it's one of my guilty-pleasure songs.)

Eric and Olivia, 20, guitarist and singer - I hate that the judges fixated more on the platonic-ness of their relationship than the music, which I really enjoyed. I almost didn't recognize the song, and I am impressed by the arrangement. I wonder if at some point, though, the judges might indicate that Olivia is better off going solo (sorry, Piers Morgan is in my head).

Eric Dittelman, mind reader - Well, we haven't seen much in the way of magicians so far, but this kid impresses me. I'm sure there's some trick to it, but damned if I can figure out how he does it (and the judges). I can see this in Vegas, but more in a lounge setting.

Summer Lacey, aerial dancer - chains, silks, poles, whatever. Next.

Nikki Jensen, singer/guitarist - Great voice, AND smokin' hot. Me want more.

Josh "B-Boy Elusive" Vineyeard, dancer - Good for a white guy, but he's got nothing on Stepz and Turf.

And the pimp spot goes to:

Andrew De Leon, 19, singer - Really? to go from NEVER performing in public right onto the AGT stage? If true, that is VERY impressive. I love the look, it somehow strangely fits his operatic soprano voice. He's not as flashy as Prince Poppycock (and five times as self-deprecating), but he could go just as far. I'm really pulling for him. Hope he doesn't crack.

Aurora Light Painters:

Eric and Olivia:

Eric Dittelman:

Andrew De Leon:

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

silversurfer19 wrote:
Shrykespeare wrote: Tim Poe, 35, country singer - And of all the ailments to fake, a stutter that magically disappears when he sings?
Can't say I've watched the program, but stutterers quite often sing quite fine. I have friends who are exactly the same, while a singer called Gareth Gates was on the UK version of American Idol quite a few years ago, I think he came second, but he had an awful stutter. Somehow through singing it can disappear, but it's hardly unusual. So while the guy may have been lying his ass off, that particular impediment may have been real.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but if his stutter is true and not a lie, then he didn't need that whole war veteran thing. Overcoming a disability is enough to garner sympathy without throwing in a phony war wound.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I've never commented on this thread but I don't understand why you two obsess over something that's basically American Idol but with more variety.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr