1/15 Weekend Tracking

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: 1/15 Weekend Tracking

Post by numbersix »

frendo wrote:I don't really understand the new PTA rules, to be honest.
It's simple- as each new league starts, PTA is only counted for movies released in that period. So for the Jan-Mar leagues, films like Avatar are not counted as they were not released in Jan, Feb, or Mar. So by default if 5 films open on the first weekend of a new league, they will all get at least 1 PTA point.

The same rule doesn't apply to Top 5 points.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
Buscemi wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote: And yes, previous weekends can kind of give you an idea of how a similar movie might do, but it's never a guarantee. People expected Spy Next Door to get $25M OW just b/c it's MLK weekend. They kind of forgot that the movie has a super overdone premise, an awful marketing campaign, and an unproven box office star. Come on, when has Jackie Chan ever sold a movie on his own?
Rumble In The Bronx. But that was 1996.
Well, I wouldn't use a 9/32 film as a positive example...even in 1996 dollars.
The movie was a surprise hit though. It opened at Number 1 and was one of the most successful foreign films at the box office at the time.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Maybe im crazy but in the new leagues is the scoring really slow and inaccurate?

Anyways The Lovely Bones is performing pretty well. I am kind of surprised by that due to the awful WOM. I wasn't expecting too much from The Spy Next Door due to its stupid premise and the fact that Jackie Chan isn't much of a box office star. I mean besides Rush Hour 3 when has he had a hit in the past 6-8 years?
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Define hit... He had the Forbidden Kingdom, which was the last film he starred in.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

The PTA in the old leagues will shake out as follows this week:

5 points - The Last Station (it WAS available, but no one picked it)
4 points - Avatar
3 points - Book of Eli
2 points - The White Ribbon
1 point - The Lovely Bones

Just remember, in these leagues, Armageddon and Wonderful World don't factor in, but Fish Tank does.

(God, I'll be glad when these last two hand-done leagues are over, it's so confusing now.)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote: You guys act like people have a limit on how many movies people can see - if they want to see X amount of films, barring something far more serious than too many choices, they'll probably see what they want.

And as far as ticket prices and the economy, 2009 was one of the biggest years ever. So that obviously has no bearing on the situation.
That's because they do. I'm not even talking about money issues. most people i know just dont have the time to see all they want to see. To them going to the movies is a monthly thing, not an every weekend thing.

edit: or actually even less than monthly

J.I.
The McMannus Brothers

Post by J.I. »

Yeah you can't follow the box office and think that movies can't hurt other movies. There are countless examples of movies having huge drops because of a similar big movie's opening.

thswrestler160
Private Pyle

Post by thswrestler160 »

hellboy 2 for example

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

thswrestler160 wrote:hellboy 2 for example
great example

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Hellboy 2 was always going to drop a whole lot in its second weekend. It simply doesn't have enough fans to have a smaller than average 2nd weekend drop after such a big OW. And I hardly think Hellboy's and Hancock's audience overlap by a lot.

And yeah most people don't go to the movies alot. But they will if there are a lot of movies they want to see at one time.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

numbersix wrote:
frendo wrote:I don't really understand the new PTA rules, to be honest.
It's simple- as each new league starts, PTA is only counted for movies released in that period. So for the Jan-Mar leagues, films like Avatar are not counted as they were not released in Jan, Feb, or Mar. So by default if 5 films open on the first weekend of a new league, they will all get at least 1 PTA point.

The same rule doesn't apply to Top 5 points.
Thanks, six. Makes sense.

thswrestler160
Private Pyle

Post by thswrestler160 »

actually banks its was dark knight that came out the week after it hancock was before it. and dark knight and hellboy 2 were both comic book movies with basically the same audience. hellboy opened to 23 hellboy 2 opened to 34 which is an average increase for a sequel but just about anybody that wanted to see a comic book movie on july 18-20 was definately watching dark knight.

J.I.
The McMannus Brothers

Post by J.I. »

Banks it was just one example out of many. Competition greatly affects the box office.

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

It really was an unfair example to use in this situation though. You're using the example of the second highest grossing film ever made (right now at least). I'm not saying I agree with one side or another, but the example is a bs one. At least use regular movies as the example, and not the biggest movies ever...

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I can use my own personal experiences, if you'd like. You should know I love movies just about as much as anyone, but due to financial and time related reasons, I haven't been able to see a lot of films I've wanted to see. I wanted to see Avatar, Sherlock Holmes, The Book of Eli, Up in the Air, the Blind Side, The Princess and the Frog, and Invictus, and out of that list, I've seen exactly one of those films. I might still get around to a couple more, but I certainly won't get to all of them until the DVD. I would love to, but I simply can't afford it right now. So to say that competition amongst movies doesn't keep you from seeing every movie you want to see, thus limiting the potential of each film individually, well I know for me at least it is bull shit.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude