Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #10): 10-2

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #10): 10-2

Post by Geezer »

So the way I can see, Pulp Fiction is going to be our number one film of all time, because I know its coming up at least one more time. I have no problem with that. Others that should make the top 10, just estimating based on what we've seen so far: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Matrix and Fight Club are basically locks, The Shining, V for Vendetta and Memento have a good shot. Toy Story and Wall-E should still be up there as well.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm pretty sure my #2 film will push it into the Top 10 ;)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

It's the damn Godfather isn't it. Here's hoping someone else adds Die Hard, or Shawshank or Lebowski or any other film that already has nine or ten picks!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

And I'm pretty sure (like... 100% sure) that both my #2 and #1 won't have any consequence on our collective Top 10 :lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I can pretty sure both of my top 2 will be in our collective top 10.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Well tranny I was referencing you when I said that Pulp Fiction was coming up again, which is why I doubt anything else will be able to top it

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Geezer wrote:It's the damn Godfather isn't it. Here's hoping someone else adds Die Hard, or Shawshank or Lebowski or any other film that already has nine or ten picks!
Nope, The Godfather was my number #20. Let's just say you'll be happy with my choice ;).

Chien, I have a good idea as to what your Number 1 film is, Number 2 I've no idea!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Really, Six ? You think you guessed my number 1 film ? We'll see if you guessed right. But I think you rather guessed my #2, and not my #1. ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer wrote:So the way I can see, Pulp Fiction is going to be our number one film of all time, because I know its coming up at least one more time. I have no problem with that. Others that should make the top 10, just estimating based on what we've seen so far: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Matrix and Fight Club are basically locks, The Shining, V for Vendetta and Memento have a good shot. Toy Story and Wall-E should still be up there as well.
Partially right. Pulp Fiction is the only one chosen 11 times, though if it's coming up one more time, I don't know about it (yet). The ones that have been shown ten times so far are Holy Grail, The Matrix, Die Hard, Empire Strikes Back and Toy Story (and two of those will be appearing for the 11th time tonight). Ones that have appeared nine times are Shawshank, Se7en, Memento, Fight Club, Big Lebowski, Reservoir Dogs, The Shining, LOTR: The Two Towers, Wall-E and Shaun of the Dead (two of those will appear for the 10th time tonight, and another one will be someone's #1). V For Vendetta has only (ONLY!) been chosen eight times and will not even be in the Top 25 unless it appears again.

At the moment, there are still four films on the Top 100 that have only been picked three times, and they are now #97-100 on the list.

BTW, I have added UDM's #3 to the rundown. It's The LIon King.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

By the way Six, I'm pretty sure I guessed which is your #2. I'm so sure about it ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

So, you're saying that as of today, there's over 100 films that have been picked at least three times? We're in tune with each other or something...
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Star Wars
What can I comment about that has not been commented about already ? ;) It's no surprise to find it here, and it's very well deserved.

Surfer - Alien
It really is one of the films that was this close to entering my own Top. The best of the Alien saga, by far.

Arrow - Rear Window
It's been mentionned several times lately, and who can blame that ? Hitchcock proves why he's called the master of suspense with this gripping film.

Transformers - Fight Club
It doesn't come as a surprise either to see this film achieve such a popularity. It was a punch in the head when I saw it in theater. Haven't seen it much since, although I have it on dvd.

Ozzy - Star Wars
I haven't listed many action films in my Top, but I have listed this one, for it is a marvel of the genre, and one film I watch every single time I stumble upon it.

Ron B - Pulp Fiction
Yeah !! 11th !! If this ends up being our collective #1, it will be perfect. Sensationnally written, directed, edited, acted and put in music.

Buscemi - The Godfather
Some films, people can say so many great things about you end up disappointed. It has never been the case with The Godfather, a monument of American cinema.

Six - Vertigo
One Hitchcock fim I think I have only seen once, years ago, and was not really amazed by. I shall rewatch it.

Banks - The Matrix
I'd never put it as high in my Top 100, but it's such a jubilatory film, no wonder I listed it myself ;)

Barca - The Godfather Part II
An amazing sequels to that monument I was just mentionning. De Niro is impressive as the young Brando.

Geezer - Saving Private Ryan
Yes, I could have done without the prologue and epilogue in present day, but even with this, it's an amazing film, roaring and chilling and fascinating.

leestu - The Shining
Talk about chilling... If I had rewatched it recently, it would have proably made my Top...

W - Elf
Wow. Elf as your #3, that's a bold ultra favourite of yours, W ;) I liked it in theater, but not much besides a simple "liking". Haven't seen it since.

NSpan - Buffalo'66
Here's an interesting choice. Unfortunately I haven't seen Gallo's film since I saw it in theater in '99, but it was a marvelous surprise then, and I had put it in my Top 10 of 99.

UDM - The Lion King
I love the first half of the film, not so much the second part. And there are some great music numbers, like Jeremy Irons'.

Erle - Holy Grail
Given how it has essentially been picked reently in high places of our Top 100s, I'm sure this one is going to end up high in our collective Top. And I'm glad about it. It really is a crazy and hilarious comedy like no other.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MOVIE #3

Shrykespeare - Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
can't fault you for having this in your top 3. Also not much left to say. I still prefer the sequel though.

silversurfer - Alien (1979)
it must e the age you saw it, but i was left incredibly underwhelmed and i didn't find it much scary. I guess i could say i liked it, but i don't think i would ever rewatch it again.

transformers - Fight Club (1999)
i just think it is a meh kind of film. I don't think it is really saying anything profound, at least i didn't catch any of it. The aspect of the dirty sweaty men fighting each other to pulp didn't really appeal to me. The love triangle, with helena bonham carter and the two guys was the most interesting part to me, but really that is just a little side plot. oh well, it doesn't bother me that other people think it's great, i just don't get it.

englishozzy - Die Hard (1988)
just recently saw it, was super fun. i don't think it would ever be in my top ten, but i did like it and it was enjoyable

Chienfantome - Amelie (Le fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain) (2002)
an amusing film, that i enjoyed very much to see, but have so far only seen once.

numbersix - Vertigo (1958)
was also underwhelmed when i finally saw this, but there were moments of brilliance when i was glued to the screen. Maybe when i rewatch it someday, i will feel it was more cohesive, because the first time you watch a supposed classic, you really are comparing your expectations to what your seeing. so getting over that part, you can just watch the movie with no expectations.

Banks - The Matrix (1999)
you see, i loved the mythology aspect of the films the best, that is why maybe i didn't mind the sequels. i didn't think they were as great as the first one, but i still liked them. The actions was cool, too. I had the matrix on my list somewhere too.

Geezer - Saving Private Ryan (1998)
mostly agree. i mean i don't have criticism for the film, i had it on my list not too long ago, it's just that i wouldn't say it is in my absolute favorite like some other ones.

JohnErle - Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
maybe the other python films i have to watch will inspire me to rewatch this. I mean, i promised to go in with an open mind, so who knows, there is a chance of me liking them, but my comedy window is very small, i love to laugh but it is very hard for me to find a comedy that i think is hilarious. As it is now, i thought the comedy in this was dumb and obnoxious

Haven't Seen

thegreenarrow - Rear Window (1954)

Ron Burgundy - Pulp Fiction (1994) - i'm trying not to get my expectations too high, but with so many of you having it in your top ten, i do at least expect something great.

Buscemi - The Godfather (1972)

BarcaRulz - The Godfather Part II (1974)

leestu - The Shining (1980)

W - Elf (2003)

NSpan - Buffalo ’66 (1998) -

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

numbersix wrote:
Geezer wrote:It's the damn Godfather isn't it. Here's hoping someone else adds Die Hard, or Shawshank or Lebowski or any other film that already has nine or ten picks!
Nope, The Godfather was my number #20. Let's just say you'll be happy with my choice ;).

Chien, I have a good idea as to what your Number 1 film is, Number 2 I've no idea!
I always knew Six was a closet fan of The Boondock Saints!
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Six may be Irish but I don't think he's that Irish.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr