Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Post by Shrykespeare »

Top 40 now, kiddies.

MOVIE #40

Shrykespeare

Toy Story 3 (2010)
– Director: Lee Unkrich; starring Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack, Don Rickles and Ned Beatty. I quite liked the first one, and only moderately liked the second one (which, to date, makes it my least favorite Pixar film thus far), but they couldn’t possibly have ended the trilogy any better than they did. A worthwhile story about what happens to toys when their owners grow up, and a true and magnificent study about the value of friendship. It actually had me in tears, it was so moving (and Buzz’s “Spanish mode” was a stroke of genius). I’m not at all surprised that both Toy Story and Toy Story 2 have appeared on numerous lists, but I am surprised that I’m the only one (so far, anyway) to have the trilogy’s final chapter on his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNMpa5yBf5o

silversurfer

Beetlejuice (1988)
- Director: Tim Burton; starring Michael Keaton, Geena Davis, Alec Baldwin and Winona Ryder. I can always remember this movie both freaking me out and wowing me simultaneously when I was little. The eerie opening with the bridge disaster would stick in my mind for days, but only to be outdone by the insanely bizarre and surreal images which followed as Burton and Keaton dazzled with their dark, macabre humour. It's essentially become the template of what everyone has come to expect from Burton nowadays, but at the time I remember having never seen anything like this before. It's so wickedly inventive both narratively and visually, with some outstanding makeup and effects still looking good today. And you've got to love the bureaucratic hell that is the waiting room, filled with all manner of bizarre and hilarious monstrosities. Burton again touches on his own experiences growing up in Burbank with the concept of the misunderstood monster, and while at first you would expect to be scared of Betlegeuse, instead you find yourself endeared to him. Indeed, like with Edward Scissorhands, it is the humans and not the ghosts who reveal themselves as the more ghastly characters. And to top it off you have the performance that introduced me to the delight that is Winona Ryder, shockingly beautiful, I was transfixed on her character and her unusual looks, but beyond the make up and wild hair, she posessed a dynamism and charm in her acting which I was totally in love with. And so my obsession began...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hovKm9oFiM

thegreenarrow

The Apartment (1960), Director Billy Wilder; starring Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine and Fred McMurray. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4OXm9-E8OQ

transformers

Unforgiven (1992)
- Director: Clint Eastwood; starring Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman and Richard Harris. About 30 years after Eastwood formed his legacy with legendary Westerns, he makes another classic. Unforgiven is just one of the best and most entertaining westerns I have ever seen. Eastwood and Morgan Freeman are both absolutely brilliant in their roles. Unforgiven is a dark, gritty western from the master himself, Clint Eastwood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SO5VO2ixWY

englishozzy

Into the Wild (2007)
- Director: Sean Penn; starring Emile Hirsch, Marcia Gay Harden, William Hurt and Catherine Keener. Based on a true story of Christopher McCandless, who was a middle class student that decided to cash in his inheritance to charities and hit the open road with nothing to his name. The sort of road trip movie that deep down we all just want to do from time to time. Some gentle but strong performances from veterans like Keener, Vaughan and Hurt help this movie tenfold. Coming from a fan of the book Penn has done extremely well adapting this to the big screen, using the Alaskan scenery to full extent as Hirsch puts in an emotional and physical performance. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LAuzT_x8Ek

Ron Burgundy

Buscemi

The Big Lebowski (1998)
- Director: Joel Coen; starring Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi and John Turturro. A case of mistaken identity becomes one man's journey to find the people who ruined his rug (it tied the room together) in this hilarious neo-noir (done in the style of Raymond Chandler stories, such as The Big Sleep) from The Coen Brothers. Besides its neo-noir concept, it also doubles as a sports film (many scenes focus around a bowling league) and a very over-the-top dark comedy with lots of bizarre characters. From the eternally stoned, White Russian-drinking The Dude to the Nam-obsessed devout Jew Walter to the slow-witted Donny, the sex-starved artist Maude, the child molesting rivar bowler Jesus and the rest, every single character is a gem thanks to excellent writing and acting (it's probably not surprising that this film is the first thing people think of when they think of Bridges or Goodman). The directing is also masterful in the way that Coen does (folksy but modern, strange but with the feeling that you can relate to it). The film is a long, strange trip but one of the most fun long, strange trips you will ever see. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_GCRFRcWxA

Chienfantome

Twelve Monkeys (1995)
– Director: Terry Gilliam; starring Bruce Willis, Madeleine Stowe, Brad Pitt and David Morse. There was a time when I did not go as much to cinema as I do now. And I missed a lot of films I was craving to see. Among those, one of the films I regretted not having seen in theater the most is Twelve Monkeys. So I bought it on VHS as soon as it was available. And later, on DVD. And I’ve watched it quite a few times since. And it soon became a favourite of mine. Not just because I love time traveling films. But also because Gilliam perfectly manages to insufflate his love for crazy dreamy universes into an amazingly well thought story. It’s as much high tech as it is dust. Dreams and reality collide with a strange sense of poetry and despair. Inspired by the unique French film “La jetée” by Chris Marker”, Twelve Monkeys is a fascinating story about how cynical time and life are. It’s a haunting film. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0gEkxzOHho

numbersix

Blue Velvet (1986)
- Director: David Lynch; starring Kyle Maclachlan, Isabella Rossellini, Dennis Hopper and Laura Dern. I remember trying to watch this film as a young teen as I heard it had “erotic” elements, but man I wasn’t prepared for the introduction of Dennis Hopper’s terrifying Frank Booth. I didn’t like it as I didn’t get it, but having fallen in love with Lynch’s films I do think there’s much brilliance to this. Lynch makes a playful portrayal of the dark underbelly of idyllic society, in which a young man’s curiosity sees him explore the nastier side of life and sexuality. That Booth scene immediately conjures up ideas from Freud (the child interpreting parental sex as violence) in order to show this twisted tale of sexual maturity. And the brilliance is rather than show it as a sort of trial we overcome, this dark side will always co-exists: as shown by the brilliant opening sequence (shown in my clip below) in which beneath the surface of the garden the underground is a sea of consuming insects, and then at the film’s end where an image of “beauty” and “innocence” is shown to feed on those insects. Beneath the surface there’s an eternal and co-dependent conflict that we can’t cover up, no matter how hard we try. This is Lynch at his passionate, but also at his most ironic. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM975_Ld9S0

Banks

Up in the Air (2009)
- Director: Jason Reitman; starring George Clooney, Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick. This is easily one of the most touching films of the past few years, and it’s only one of two movies I’ve ever seen that after watching, the first thought that popped into my head was “Now, that’s what a perfect film looks like”. Everything is top-notch: the dialogue is a throwback to films of the 40s and 50s, Clooney and Farmiga have chemistry that crackles, and Kendrick plays her character with the right amount of young naivete and a determination to prove she belongs. I loved The Hurt Locker and Inglourious Basterds, but I hoped with all my heart that George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, Jason Reitman (all three movies he’s directed have made my Top 100), and Up in the Air would win all the Oscars they rightly deserved. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7k6FwXJhNk

BarcaRulz

Death at a Funeral (2007) - Director: Frank Oz; starring: Matthew Macfayden, Peter Dinklage, Ewen Bremmer, Alan Tudyk and Peter Dinklage. When I first saw the trailer for this, I was immediately interested, and so on opening day I went with a friend to see it. I can honestly say I have never laughed as hard and as often watching any other movie. The crowd loved it, and why not? The acting was fantastic, the writing was excellent, and the comedic situations were hilarious. I ended up watching it four times at the movies, all with different people, and every single time the crowd would eat it up, and it loses nothing when you watch it again, and again, and again... (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neCY4hh1wJg

Geezer

Stripes (1981)
- Director: Ivan Reitman; starring: Bill Murray, Harold Ramis and John Candy. And now for a war movie of a COMPLETELY different type. Just a fantastic comedy with Bill Murray at his very best. Harold Ramis and John Candy couldn't be better either. No review would be complete without mentioning "Our Big Toe," William Oates as Sgt. Hulka. What a wonderful comedy filled with one-liners that will leave anyone with non-stop laughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wr3imOyEZw

leestu

Jaws (1975)
- Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Roy Sheider, Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucMLFO6TsFM

W

I Love You, Man (2009)
- Director: John Hamburg; starring Paul Rudd, Jason Segel, Rashida Jones and Lou Ferrigno. I've become a big fan of both Segel and Rudd over the last couple of years and this may be my favorite film from either of them so far. Paul Rudd is getting married, but doesn't have any guy friends to be his best man, so his homosexual brother (Andy Samberg) sets him up on man dates. They don't work out, but he randomly meets Jason Segel's character, who hasn't completely grown up yet, and they hit it off. Hilariousness (and Rush) ensues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exhANi6IwV8

NSpan

National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983)
– Director: Harold Ramis; starring Chevy Chase, Beverly D’Angelo, Randy Quaid, Imogene Coca, Anthony Michael Hall, Christie Brinkley and John Candy. Harold Ramis + John Hughes + Chevy Chase? In *1983*? Man, what a lineup. And what a payoff. Ramis and Chase were riding high on Caddyshack (amongst other great projects), while Hughes was a relative newcomer (...okay, I guess he had Mr. Mom under his belt). But this was a helluva career-jumpstart. There are too many memorable quotes to even begin. When you hear the phrase "they just don't make 'em like they used to"--I think this is what they're talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn6uqwSjDjY

undeadmonkey

Mean Girls (2004)
- Director: Mark Waters; starring Lindsay Lohan, Jonathan Bennett and Rachel McAdams. I’m sure most of you will piss on this choice but it’s ok, I’ve had a few guilty pleasures so far, and I have about 2 or 3 more coming up (2 of them are actually in my top ten). This movie is hilarious; the mean girls are so much fun and Lindsey Lohan was perfect in it. Seeing her in this movie you were sure this girl was going places (who knew those places would be rehab). Anyway, that’s not the point. There a ton of great supporting characters, the jokes deliver and it’s always good for a rewatch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YjSIvmNjT8

JohnErle

Dead Ringers (1988)
– Director: David Cronenberg; starring Jeremy Irons, Genevieve Bujold and Barbara Gordon. Cronenberg tones down the violence and rathcets up the suspense. Jeremy Irons was amazing as the twins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5HrHcgnWRw
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #7): 40-31

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #40

Shrykespeare: Toy Story 3 (2010) – I guess it's not a contender for me because I've only seen it once, and very recently, so I need to really let time and perhaps another viewing make up my mind. I do love it, and it certainly is one of my favourite of last year. For me the first is still the best, and while 3 had a unique and brilliant way of closing the trilogy, there were a few moments that were too derivative of the first two to make it really stand above them. Great stuff anyway!

silversurfer: Beetlejuice (1988) - Excellent stuff, and incredibly unique. And insane! How on earth Burton came up with an idea like that is beyond me. The dinner party scene is a classic.

thegreenarrow: The Apartment (1960) - Wonderful, heart-melting film. It's just so watchable.

transformers: Unforgiven (1992) - I'm not a fan of Clint, as an actor and especially as a director. But even I have to admit he has made some good movies on occasion. And this is certainly one of them. There hasn't been a lot of Westerns over the past 20 years but this is one of the better ones.

englishozzy: Into the Wild (2007) - I quite enjoyed this. Penn directs like an excited teenager, throwing ideas down on screen (even breaking the fourth wall at one stage). And a lot of them work. The scenes with Hal Holbrook are amazing, and what happens at the end is quite moving. Very well made.

Ron Burgundy

Buscemi: The Big Lebowski (1998) - Ah, the film that introduced me to White russians. It's the only cocktail I drink , and the only one I can make. And the only one that's acceptable for a guy to drink (I live in a beer and straight spirits country), so thanks for that, Dude. Or El duderino.

Chienfantome: Twelve Monkeys (1995) – Probably Gilliam's "straightest" film, and it's one of his better films. Great perfomance by Pitt, a great, circular story. Few directors do subjectivity and confusion as well as Gilliam.

Banks: Up in the Air (2009) - I liked it when I first watched it, but need to rewatch it.

BarcaRulz: Death at a Funeral (2007) - Haven't seen it.

Geezer: Stripes (1981) - Some films you see as a kid you like, but when you see it as an adult, it just doesn't work. I suspect this to be the opposite. I thought it was ok as a kid and will probably love it if I watched it now.

leestu: Jaws (1975) - Somehow I don't think this will be the last we see of Jaws. Good film. After seeing this a kid I was actually scared of taking a bath for a few days!

W: I Love You, Man (2009) - I actually saw this over the holidays. Not a bad movie, as are most of the Apatow-school films. Rudd and Segel work well together. I don't think it's so memorable that I'd ever consider it great, but it passed the evening quite well.

NSpan: National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983) – It has been years sicne I've seen it, but the memories are good.

undeadmonkey: Mean Girls (2004) - No need to call it a guilty pleasure. This is actually a surprisingly decent teen comedy. It's quite observant and has some good characters, and a lot of the jokes work. So I've got your back with this one!

JohnErle: Dead Ringers (1988) – It's hard to find this on DVD, and I've onyl seen it once on TV. But it's definitely one of, if not the, best films of Cronenberg. Great lead performances and rather for gross-out body horror we get a whole lot of spleen (the metaphor, not the body part)

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shryke - A fitting way to end the franchise, the usual excellence you come to expect from Pixar and easily my favourite film of the year. 10/10

Buscemi - My favourite Coen's film to date, although No Country and O'Brother are up there. I agree that Bridges will forever be known as 'The Dude'. #58 on my list. 8/10

Banks - A very good film and im starting to become a real fan of Reitman's work. #75 on my list. 8/10

Barca - Definately a surprise hit, and the jokes are still funny with repeated viewings, not sure whether i should watch the re-make in fear it will ruin the experience of this one. #46 on my list. 8/10

W - I must admit that i did find this film pretty funny when i watched it, and Rudd and Segal are undervalued at the moment. 6/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #41

Chienfantome - Twelve Monkeys - great film. I was actually moved to tears by the ending, with Bruce's death and the utter futility of trying to prevent the catastrophe and change the timeline. Pitt was terrific as the schizo rich boy. (9/10)

W - I Love You, Man - Really funny film. Not particularly memorable, save perhaps the "slappin da bay-ass!" bit or the Ferrigno choke-hold, but still funny. (8/10)

NSpan - National Lampoon's Vacation - Classic, indeed. Wally World, dad... (7/10)

leestu - Jaws - Made me never want to swim in the ocean again. Still does. (7/10)

Banks - Up in the Air - Well-acted movie, but definitely not a happy film. (6/10)

silversurfer - Beetlejuice - Loved it when it came out, but now it just comes off to me as typical Burton weirdness. (6/10)

transformers - Unforgiven - Like most modern-day westerns, it's a little too stark for me. (5/10)

numbersix - Blue Velvet - Six already knows how I feel about this film. (2/10)

I haven't watched Stripes since high school, so I can't remember if I liked it or not.

For #39, I am missing the choices for:

Ron Burgundy
Banks
BarcaRulz
Geezer
undeadmonkey

And I am missing the comments for:

silversurfer
thegreenarrow
NSpan

Geez, what, do you people have LIVES or something? :lol:

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare - Toy Story 3 (2010) – Definitely surprised me that's for sure. I felt a lot more heart than i thought i would. Like i said before, I'm not the biggest fan of the toy story franchise, so i wasn't really expecting that much, but it was very enjoyable.

silversurfer - Beetlejuice (1988) - i really haven't seen enough of it to rate it. I also haven't seen it since i was a kid (I was too scared to finish it) So i can't say much about it, except i thought it was freaky. On a side note though, will you follow your obsession to The Dilemma?

englishozzy - Into the Wild (2007) - I loved this movie, as it's on my list as well. There was just an honesty to the film that i love. I know i would love to go on such a road trip.

Buscemi - The Big Lebowski (1998) - I've seen about the first half and i was bored

Chienfantome - Twelve Monkeys (1995) – I want to say i loved it, because i love the subject matter, but i can't. The reason being i don't really remember the movie. I mean i remember bits and pieces but not enough to actually get the gist of it. I remember liking it and thinking it was good, but i guess just in a way too pass 2 hours.

leestu - Jaws (1975) - I love the ocean, so the movie didn't really scare me out of the water. but if i did see a great white, you'd bet your ass i'd be running, i'd be running on top of the water. They say great whites rarely attack humans, but I think this movie has instilled a fear in all of us that we don't care what they say. A great movie that i need to watch again.

W - I Love You, Man (2009) - I was hugely surprised by this movie. I am really picky when it comes to straight up comedies. And in the past decade of apatow, will ferrel and friedberg and seltzer, I can't stand most of them. so it's almost a miracle when a comedy comes along that i enjoy.

Haven't Seen

thegreenarrow - The Apartment (1960)

transformers - Unforgiven (1992)

numbersix - Blue Velvet (1986) - I'm always on the edge about this movie, some people say it's great, some people say it's horrible. so sometimes i want to see it and sometimes i dont.

Banks - Up in the Air (2009) - I always wanted to see it because of all the award recognition it got, but to be honest, nothing about the subject matter or the trailers inspire me to see it.

BarcaRulz - Death at a Funeral (2007) - wow 4 times huh. i've only seen one movie 3 times at the cinemas (and it's in my top ten). and about 3 or 4 i've seen twice.

Geezer - Stripes (1981)

NSpan - National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983)

JohnErle - Dead Ringers (1988)

hmmm, none here are on my must-see list

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shryke, you need to change that avatar, every time I see your posts I think its our Keyser Soze, not you!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer, you need to change that Avatar, every time I see your posts I think it's (Son of) James Cameron, not you!
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Geezer wrote:Shryke, you need to change that avatar, every time I see your posts I think its our Keyser Soze, not you!
NSpan wrote:Geezer, you need to change that Avatar, every time I see your posts I think it's (Son of) James Cameron, not you!

what if he is?

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

If Shryke were Keyzer, he would be constantly berating me and talking about the Steelers all the time.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

define... berating

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

As in, talking down to.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

browbeating, chastising, bitching, complaining, henpecking

Is KeyserSoze's avatar the same as mine?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

No, his is Chazz from Airheads.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

It was for a long time though
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

They have a point, though, Geez. You've that "Avatar" avatar (yeah, we get it) for a year now. And it's just so BIIIIIIIIIIGGGGG!

Maybe time for something new? (or at least, smaller?)