Great news about our favorite Frenchman!

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Great news about our favorite Frenchman!

Post by Shrykespeare »

Guys, I just got this e-mail from our favorite Parisian, Chienfantome. This will adequately explain why he hasn't been around much lately (I have substituted our screennames for our real ones):

Hello (Shryke),

Forgive me for the silence, I have been quite busy lately, and don't have the time to do everything I want to.
This week has been crazy, and the coming week will be almost the same.

A couple of weeks ago, the... how do you say it in english, the man who selects the movies for a festival ? The Programmator ? The Selectioner ? Anyway, every year in autumn, there is a Festival for Korean Films in Paris, for the 4th consecutive year this year. Every year I go to see a few of the movies selected there. And so, as I said, a couple of weeks ago, I got an email from this little festival's main film selectioner. The man was telling me how the team behind the festival was looking for a couple of bloggers to attend the festival and regularly write about it. Those bloggers would get a press accreditation to see everything they wanted, and in exchange the festival's team would publish the bloggers' columns on the Festival's official blog and website.

And of course if I'm telling you that it's because the guy from the festival who wrote to me was offering me to be one of those bloggers, because they had come across my blog and noticed I often write about Korean movies, and like them, and they liked my blog. Of course, I accepted (I intended to buy a pass and go see a lot of the films, so why not accept to see all of them for free ?).

The festival started last wednesday, with opening night, film, cocktail with the film's director and actor... And so since then, after work, I'm going to the festival every day, and then go back home late and basically write about the movies I saw til 2am (and then wake up at 7am for work).
It is exhausting, but absolutely fantastic. The festival runs two weeks, so I still have one week to go, and I don't want it to end it's too cool.
Everyday I see new and old korean movies. Now I know almost everyone at the festival, the team and all. I am free to write all I want, good things or bad things. I spend time discussing with the koreans. Everytime they see me they come and talk to me, and everytime they see me after a screening, they ask me "so (Chien), what's the verdict ? Are you going to write a positive review for us today ?". It's one of the greatest experience I've had as a cinephile in my life.

So that's why I'm nowhere to be seen lately except on my blog. And that's why I still haven't sent you new slates for the new leagues. I'll do that as soon as possible.

Are you fine on your side ?
Take care my friend

(Chien)

How about that?

:P
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Great news about our favorite Frenchman!

Post by Geezer »

Lucky French bastard :)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

He's late because of that and he didn't offer you a single review in English?!?! :)

Don't hate. I doubt many of those films will be playing in America.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Speaking about festivals, the St. Louis International Film Festival starts this weekend. If I lived in St. Louis, I could go to the local premiere of Up In The Air with a director Q&A afterwards. Yes, Jason Reitman will be in St. Louis to promote Up In The Air.

Also showing at the festival:
The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus
Youth In Revolt
An Education
Precious
Me and Orson Welles
Everybody's Fine (with the director in person)
Amreeka
The Missing Person
Crude
We Live In Public
a live Cinematic Titanic screening with Joel Hodgson in person
a director's cut of Ang Lee's Ride With The Devil (I think this is the first showing ever of this cut)

and many more movies (including two that have already played in the smaller Springfield market, Forbidden Lie$ and Burma VJ)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Sucks, I put in for the week off to go hit up the SLIFF, but my request was denied, so I won't be going either :( I may try to catch the Cinematic Titanic and Imaginarium shows though as they're on next saturday.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Keep in mind that Cinematic Titanic tickets are $40 or something like that.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

I have been following Chien's blog for a while. The problem is that since he is French and writes it in french, I have to translate it to English using a program. Then it reads all messed up because the program is not very accurate. You can get the gist of what he is saying with a bit of thinking.
Funniest thing was a couple weeks ago on his blog review of Jennifer's Body the verb tense or whatever kept calling Diablo Cody a him. LOL "His writing..." the way he writes his dialogue.." etc. I think that was on purpose. ;)
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Buscemi wrote:Keep in mind that Cinematic Titanic tickets are $40 or something like that.
Keep in mind that I'm reeeeeech.

... Okay maybe not, but I live much below my means, so I have like 50% disposable income.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

To quote Sonic:

THAT'S GOOD! (needs a thumbs up emoticon)