The World Cup Thread

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: The World Cup Thread

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'm mid way through watching a replay of the Germany game, and while Australia have been poor, I've been very, very impressed by Germany. They have got so much movement in the side and the number of chances they are creating is phenomenol. I can really see them going very far in the competition, definitely semis based on this performance. Don't be so hard on yourselves Aussies, there is still plenty of time to make amends, and with the Germans playing like this they will likely win all their group games so if you can win your remaining games you should be find for 2nd. I haven't seen the Ghana-Serbia performances, but don't lose hope.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

When and who does USA play next?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Friday 18th v Slovenia at 8:00am MST (I worked it out for you, cos y'know, I'm nice like that. ).

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

silversurfer19 wrote:Friday 18th v Slovenia at 8:00am MST (I worked it out for you, cos y'know, I'm nice like that. ).

Thanks, sweetie.

:lol:
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

delfinasu
Al Czervick

Post by delfinasu »

Australia had to do some matches with European countries before WC2010... They will loose for sure all the matches. Sorry for them...
For Germany was just a training match... simple as that! I'm waitin' to see Brazil, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Netherlands - teams that have chances to beat Germany...

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Yeah, Australia have no chance anymore, they have lost perhaps their best player in Tim Cahill (because of a really terrible red card decision by the umpire, should have been a yellow) and Ghana won their match against Serbia, meaning the Aussies have got to win both remaining matches, tough.

Germany on the other hand look great, Klose scored, Mesut Ozil had a great game and their defense was solid so yeah, they may go on further than i thought.

Italy were lucky to draw, but its a good thing they didn't win. Netherlands looked ok against Denmark, their next matches against Japan and Cameroon will be great to watch. Cameroon were pretty unlucky to get a loss, they really showed what they are capable of in their last 20 mins vs Japan, who just held on for a 1-0 win, it wasn't pretty but they got the job done.

Brazil should flog North Korea tonight and Ivory Coast vs Portugal will be a great match to watch.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/ ... 901?ver=us

Kill a guy for changing the gospel show? How very Christian of them.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I figured South Africa to be a very secular nation.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

GO Switzerland GO! Wow, they actually beat Spain, who saw that coming.

And looks like Argentina are through to the next round, having beaten S Korea 2-1

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Wow! That was awful. Did something shady happen or was it just awful officiating? I mean, seriously, you can't let a player know why a goal was disallowed that would basically put their team through to the single elimination round? Either he knows he screwed up or something much worse. And the yellow card on Findley that puts him out the next game? No way.

Still with all of the awful officiating, if the US would play half as well in the first half than they did the second we may only be talking about the yellow.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Well, the Aussies are out!

But we finished admirably, beating Serbia 2-1 was a good finish to a team who had been dogged by bad decision from the Ump, and bad choices by the coach in the first game. Well i guess ive gotta cheer Germany on now!

Argentina look strong, Mexico, Uruguay, South Korea, Germany, England, USA and Ghana are all through to the next round. Lets see what happens, i think Germany play England, that will be a ripper!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Yeah, a win, a draw, and a loss in a realatively tough group is alright. Nice goals from Kewell and Holman too. I am giving my support to the Kiwis now. It's always good to see the underdogs do well. So good luck to the All Whites tonight.

delfinasu
Al Czervick

Post by delfinasu »

USA can play a semi-final... they have a good route ;) they can obtain the 4th place at this World Cup ;)
France and Italy were the weakest links :D
Germany-England and Spain-Portugal will be the most interesting matches in Round of 16 :geek:

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

And in typical US World Cup fashion, they choke. Soccer is dead in the US until 2014 (MLS already died when Beckham got loaned to AC Milan since the Galaxy couldn't pay him his fat contract).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

delfinasu
Al Czervick

Post by delfinasu »

Such a pity!