The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by numbersix »

Two words for you all: insurance claim

It'll probably be easier for them to cancel and claim back some of it through an insurance claim than to sink any more money into it.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 5:33 am
Two words for you all: insurance claim

It'll probably be easier for them to cancel and claim back some of it through an insurance claim than to sink any more money into it.
Yep, you nailed it: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/batg ... 235332062/

I understand writing shit off as a loss is a standard move for corporations to get out of paying taxes, but this choice could end up having brutal long-term ramifications for them. Who would want to work with a studio that shows so little regard for the talent they hire?

An added sting on the Batgirl front, Deadline reported that Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah were in Morrocco for Adil's wedding when they found the movie got shelved. Hollywood is fucking brutal man.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Warner Bros. said that were willing to work with the directors again after this but if you were in the directors' shoes, would you want to? Of course, they probably will to avoid being blacklisted, which seems to have happened with the director of another DC film, Cathy Yan, after she apparently had disputes with the studio over Birds of Prey and has been stuck in television since.

Also, Warner Bros. likes filmmakers they can easily control. Unless you're Nolan, Snyder, Eastwood, Villeneuve, or Todd Phillips, the films at Warner Bros. are extremely micromanaged with either first-time directors or directors who specialize in lower-budgeted product or in teams.

I would hope there is an industry-wide fight to get Batgirl released but unfortunately, there won't as it's not an original concept from a great auteur like Brazil or The Other Side of the Wind were.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

In other news, Neon might be getting sold off. Considering they really haven't had a breakout hit this year financially, I guess it isn't a huge surprise.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

New dates:
Garfield 2/16/14
Joker: Folie a Deux 10/4/24

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I was convinced that we wouldn't be getting any more Pixar movies after the disappointment that was Lightyear but there is a new one scheduled for 3/1/2014 called Masters of Fury: The Legend of Sun Wukong, which kind of reads like Black Panther but with the Miles Morales elements of Into the Spider-Verse. Who knows if this stays as a theatrical title or gets dumped onto Disney+ as it's not a sequel or spinoff.

And related to March 2024, there's going to be a third Need for Speed movie coming on 3/8/2024 but Universal is releasing it (Paramount has the one scheduled for October) and it looks like it's going to be an animated reboot unrelated to the other two films. Who exactly was asking for these?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The newest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie will be subtitled Mutant Mayhem. This seems to suggest several villains will appear (I don't think Baxter Stockman or Krang have appeared in a Ninja Turtles movie yet).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Remember that Road House remake that was announced all those years ago with Ronda Rousey starring? It looks like it's back on with Amazon making it and the project will star the unexpected pairing of Jake Gyllenhaal and Conor McGregor. By the sound of it, I'm guessing it will have at least twice the budget and none of the camp that made us love the original.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Cannes debut The Stranger got picked up by Netflix for most territories outside of Australia and will debut sometime in October.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Greatest Beer Run Ever hits Apple+ (or whatever the hell it's called) on September 30th. I wonder how much Apple will spend on buying awards this time.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Three Thousand Years of Longing got quietly pushed up to the 26th over the weekend.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think it had been at the 26th for a bit but Box Office Mojo only just listed it. Samaritan getting dumped onto Prime made it a given.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Negative. MGM announced it via the film's social media pages on Friday (I looked it up after I saw the date change on the AMC app and couldn't find anything about it in the trades)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm sure I saw at least one theatre chain listing the 26th instead of the 31st (of which that date was only going to be select markets before a wide expansion on the 2nd).

Anyway, Top Gun: Maverick will be the latest film to get a reissue with bonus content as it will be getting some screens back on Friday with new footage, more than likely in an attempt to get it to $700 million.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

It seems like Three Thousand Years Of Longing is being dumped by MGM (I have seen no marketing whatsoever outside of theaters), so the release date change is probably just an excuse to write it off earlier. I imagine the mixed reviews out of Cannes led to the utter lack of marketing. Still, as strange as it looks, I think it could have done 15 m or so over the 6 day release it had earlier if it was actually given a marketing campaign, considering it's a George Miller fantasy film starring Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba. Now, it will probably be beat by The Invitation (not that that will be a massive hit either, but I don't think the former will even do 10 m over it's OW).
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/