The Trailers Shown Before Other Movies Thread

This is the place for all movie-related videos. From new trailers, to behind the scenes footage and interviews.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Trailers Shown Before Other Movies Thread

Post by Buscemi2 »

That's still far too long. Trailer packages should run no more than 12 minutes, which would be four or five trailers, a policy trailer, and any coming soon or feature presentation snipes. Ads you can see on TV should not be a part of that, even though Regal has been trying to put ads between trailers (pretty soon, they'll try to put commercial breaks in the movie that you paid $12 to watch).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Trailers before Marcel The Shell...

(you could kind of tell they didn't really know what to put before this, considering it's a - mostly - family-friendly stop-motion film, but not really intended for children)

E.T 40th Anniversary IMAX Re-Release
Strange World
Summering
Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile
Fire Of Love
DC's League Of Super Pets
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Not really? I bet you also think Turning Red isn't a "family-friendly" film. Things have gotten infantile when making films for children that if they actually try to challenge the viewer, it gets crucified but we are totally okay with toilet humor every five minutes. It's like the studios making a lot of these movies that aren't Marcel or Turning Red don't, you know, care about the target audience.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Kids might end up liking Marcel the Shell if they saw it, but it sure as hell isn't primarily aimed at them. A24 has made zero visible effort to sell it to a family audience (it still hasn't even sniffed a wide release after being out for a month!!!!) and even if they did push it a bit more or release it wider, it would've gotten eaten alive by a mega property like Minions anyways. This was reenforced in my personal experience as there were roughly 40 people at the 2:45 PM screening I went to last weekend and not a single one of them was a child. I might've even been the youngest person there. It's just an A24 movie that's suitable for kids to watch, period.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

But is it? A24 had never released a film like this one before and therefore had no one how to sell a film to such an audience (hell, I don't think they can sell a film to anyone outside of Brooklyn half the time). It's like what happened to Climax a few years back: A24 bought an acclaimed French film from a cult director but as they hadn't handled something like it, sat on it for months trying to figure out how to release the film to the point where much of the target audience imported physical copies from Europe or found copies via torrent, and proceeded to do little business with it.

Kids would have gone to see it. It's just A24 is more interested in trying to make X a franchise even though it was a large flop than branch out. I bet it cost more to make Pearl, a film with a very limited audience, than to acquire and promote Marcel the Shell with Shoes On. But of course, no one will say a thing because it's so unpopular to criticize A24 for their insular business practices.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Trust me, I wish it was given a wide release and became a hit. It's a lovely movie with a lot of laughs and heart. But those feelings don't obscure the fact that it's a stop motion mockumentary based on a string of viral shorts from a decade ago. That's about 60 years in internet time and there's zero reason to believe that the name Marcel the Shell holds any weight among kids today or that they would respond something to that's so radically different from anything else the animation genre has produced.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The new Minions is making bank even though the previous Minions film was seven years ago and this one was to have been released two years earlier before COVID canceled those plans. Age isn't everything and many franchises have conquered it.

If A24 had known how to market the film, Marcel would have been everywhere. It wouldn't have just been about the shorts. It would have been about the story (seashell searching for his family). It would have been about the wide appeal (an A24 film you can take the kids to see). And it would have been about Marcel. You already had the great reviews and adult appeal. All A24 needed to do was sell it not as just an A24 film, but as a potential breakout that was something much more.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

transformers2 wrote:
July 23rd, 2022, 4:25 pm
Kids might end up liking Marcel the Shell if they saw it, but it sure as hell isn't primarily aimed at them. A24 has made zero visible effort to sell it to a family audience (it still hasn't even sniffed a wide release after being out for a month!!!!) and even if they did push it a bit more or release it wider, it would've gotten eaten alive by a mega property like Minions anyways. This was reinforced in my personal experience as there were roughly 40 people at the 2:45 PM screening I went to last weekend and not a single one of them was a child. I might've even been the youngest person there. It's just an A24 movie that's suitable for kids to watch, period.
I apologize if this comes across as mean-spirited or conceited - which is not my intention at all, I would just like to explain what I meant by my comment about Marcel's target audience...

The post from transformers above pretty much mirrors my thoughts. What I meant when I said it wasn't suitable for children was not really that the content of the film is particularly unsuitable for children, and more that I believe most under the age of 12 would not like it. The pace is much slower than something like Turning Red or Minions, and the humor is very dry. Unlike something like, say, Up (which tackles some similar themes), there is not much in the way of slapstick humor or fast pacing to keep kids invested. Going back to the Up example, Up featured characters like Dug the talking dog who would be frequently distracted by squirrels for widely-appealing comic relief to balance out the rather heavy themes. Marcel, on the other hand, (this isn't really a spoiler because it is shown in the trailer, but I will put it in spoiler-quotes just in case: features the show 60 Minutes, and Leslie Stahl in particular. I doubt the average kid is particularly familiar with 60 Minutes or knows who Leslie Stahl is). This isn't to say that one type of humor is better than the other, but I remember for years after Up came out, kids at my school would imitate the "Squirrel" joke from the movie. I can't see kids saying the same about (this isn't an exact paraphrase) "My family used to watch 60 Minutes every Sunday. It eventually became so familiar that we just called it 'the show'". In addition, while it isn't completely dead (as the success of Abbot Elementary goes to show), the mockumentary style of film-making is not quite as widespread or as novel as it was when the original shorts were released more than 10 years ago, when shows like The Office, Modern Family, and Parks And Recreation were still either in their prime or still running new episodes, as well as the found-footage craze being at its peak with the Paranormal Activity films being huge, as well as other hits like Cloverfield, Chronicle, and the infamously-poorly recieved The Devil Inside. I also don't think most families know what A24 is, and if they do, they would associate the brand with the edgy, provocative films they usually release, not family films.

In addition, although I loved the movie, I don't believe it to have super wide appeal. The crowd I saw it with (which also featured no children - most of the audience members were either around my age, or about 10 years older - kind of the typical audience that past A24 films like Everything Everywhere All At Once attracted) was mostly silent throughout the movie - besides me, there were only 2 or 3 other people that really were laughing at all. It is a very good movie, with a great soundtrack, clever writing that explores deep themes in a unique way, but I understand why it hasn't completely caught on, at least so far. However, I wouldn't be shocked to see it gain a larger audience after its theatrical release, when people who might not have taken a risk on seeing it in theaters discover it.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

A good comparison to Marcel is the Cartoon Saloon films - Wolfwalkers, Song of the Sea, Book of Kells. Also critically acclaimed films that appear to be family films but actually their audience is more adults, or adults yting to get their kids to watch anything other than Disney. Like Marcel, they get US theatrical releases but don't make much. Their main source of revenue is on the small screen. Marcel will be similar.

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

Nope (Regal RPX):

Jaws re-release
Barbarian
Bodies Bodies Bodies
Till
Don't Worry Darling
Halloween Ends (red band)
Beast
Oppenheimer (directly before the opening Universal logo)

The most trailers I've had in a long time, but here Regal skipped the random ad they sometimes shove in before the main studio trailers.

kermitkid
The McMannus Brothers

Post by kermitkid »

transformers2 wrote:
July 23rd, 2022, 4:25 pm
Kids might end up liking Marcel the Shell if they saw it, but it sure as hell isn't primarily aimed at them. A24 has made zero visible effort to sell it to a family audience (it still hasn't even sniffed a wide release after being out for a month!!!!) and even if they did push it a bit more or release it wider, it would've gotten eaten alive by a mega property like Minions anyways. This was reenforced in my personal experience as there were roughly 40 people at the 2:45 PM screening I went to last weekend and not a single one of them was a child. I might've even been the youngest person there. It's just an A24 movie that's suitable for kids to watch, period.

Reminds me of when the Shaun the Sheep Movie came out. When I was leaving the theater of whatever movie it was I saw that day, I saw an audience of kids leaving Shaun the Sheep saying it was boring
Stay fresh, cheese bags

ROBDude
Peter Gibbons

Post by ROBDude »

Trailers before DC League Of Super Pets:

White Bird: A Wonder Story
Ticket To Paradise
Black Adam
Shazam: Fury Of The Gods
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Current Film Watchlist:

Bob Marley: One Love
Dune Part II
Kung Fu Panda 4
Imaginary
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire
Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire

kermitkid
The McMannus Brothers

Post by kermitkid »

Trailers before DC League of Super Pets:
Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank (not kidding. I guess the theater, even though they’ve been showing it for 2 weeks, either didn’t notice or didn’t care)
Strange World
Lyle Lyle Crocodile
Avatar: The Way of Water (what an odd choice)
Stay fresh, cheese bags

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Vengeance:
Oppenheimer
Barbarian
Prey for the Devil
Smile
Don't Worry Darling
The Silent Twins