The NFL Thread

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The NFL Thread

Post by Buscemi2 »

And it looks like Brady's not quite retired yet. I have a feeling the Giants are going to make an offer.

Meanwhile, I saw that Cincinnati's going to make the day after the Super Bowl a local holiday. They must have taken a page from when Guam did it.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

So apparently, Brady's now retired for real. Who wants to bet that story will be refuted?

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

There's nothing to refute this time, he announced it himself. This whole silly scenario could've been avoided if Brady's egotistical ass hadn't tried to turn his retirement into a whole fucking spectacle and just released a quick statement a few days after the Bucs got eliminated. Hopefully the people that called Adam Schefter and Jeff Darlington irresponsible hacks on Saturday after Brady and his father smugly dismissed their 100% accurate reporting will apologize.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Washington Football Team is now the Washington Commanders. But will they be able to erase the years of negative publicity? Time will tell.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Looks like the Colts just joined the Rodgers/Wilson/Jimmy G/whoever is available sweepstakes. Carson Wentz and his albatross contract are now in Washington.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Tom Brady is unretired, yet again. Byron Leftwich is probably now regretting passing on the Jaguars job.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The NFL Draft is coming up and it tells you how bad the quarterback class is when you see Malik Willis in the top ten in some mock drafts. I feel he's going to be the bust of the draft. Besides Coastal Carolina in that bowl a few years back, did he ever actually face competition? Also, he seems to have a really high opinion of himself.

Also, I can't see Kenny Pickett, the expected second quarterback to be taken, being anything other than a backup. I don't think his style is going to mesh with the NFL.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Eh, I don't think people are high enough on Willis for him to be declared the bust of the draft. Most people view him as a late 1st round talent at best. This is easily the least exciting QB class since the infamous 2013 class that was headlined by EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Matt Barkley and Mike Glennon and I don't think anybody would be surprised if all of these guys (Willis, Pickett, Desmond Ridder, Matt Corral, Sam Howell) ended up being mediocre or worse.

As for a top bust candidate, look no further than projected number 1 pick Travon Walker. The kid is a freak athlete who didn't have a defined role in college and it's not exactly a stretch to assume that the Jacksonville Jaguars won't be able to put him in a spot where he can consistently contribute.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I've seen Willis go as high at the ninth pick, as the Seahawks traded Wilson and Lock is nothing more than a stopgap. Also, the Seahawks aren't going to be like some of the teams (Texans, Saints, Falcons) seemingly tanking in hopes of Bryce Young being a potential top pick for next year. But the Seahawks would be better off using Lock for that one year and waiting a quarterback-rich draft to get their guy of the future. Willis does not seem that guy who can lead a team. He's untested and seems like someone who can't perform under pressure (Liberty has some of the easiest schedules in college football). Also, he strikes he as a guy who seems to view himself as more talented than he really is (see Rosen, Josh).

Back to Pickett, much of my views of him come from that trick play he did but I see him as too small and someone who's going to try to get his college shit to work in the pros (it more often than doesn't). Also, he also comes off as someone with ego problems. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell to the Steelers in the second round but I've seen him going to the Lions at 32 (yes, the pick they got for Stafford). That would be a recipe for disaster. Once again, wait for better options.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Willis has a pretty good chance of going in the top 10 (I meant that people perceive him as a late 1st round talent, not that a team won't take him top 10) but anybody picking him that high (or any of these QB's for the matter) is really desperate. This just isn't the year to go all in on a quarterback in the 1st round, especially when C.J. Stroud and Bryce Young are set to come out next year.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

After the NFL sent out a memo about the rise in one-and-done coaches and their wishes for teams not to fire coaches with multiple years left on their deals, the Broncos fired Nathaniel Hackett after his short and abysmal tenure. I bet he's not going to be the last coach this season to end up one-and-done.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
December 26th, 2022, 4:49 pm
After the NFL sent out a memo about the rise in one-and-done coaches and their wishes for teams not to fire coaches with multiple years left on their deals, the Broncos fired Nathaniel Hackett after his short and abysmal tenure. I bet he's not going to be the last coach this season to end up one-and-done.
Lovie Smith very well could be, but that's probably it. Brian Daboll and Doug Pederson have their teams on the cusp of making the playoffs, Mike McDaniel fixed the Dolphins offense, Kevin O'Connell has the Vikings stacking up ugly wins, Matt Eberflus wasn't expected to win this season (Justin Fields has taken a step forward, which is all him and his staffed needed to do for the season to be deemed a success), Dennis Allen has dealt with a shit ton of injuries on both sides of the ball, Todd Bowles hasn't been bad enough to warrant being fired and the Raiders literally don't have the capital to fire Josh McDaniels since they're still paying out the remainder of Jon Gruden's absurd contract.

I'm typically a vocal opponent of not firing coaches after 1 season on the job, but Hackett deserved it. While Russell Wilson's wretched play wasn't completely his fault, he had no clue how to manage a game, the offense somehow got worse under his tutelage than it was under Vic Fangio last year and the locker room turned on him after about 5-6 games.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Smith's gone as that seems to be the Texans' mantra. I think Allen's gone in the event the Saints want Sean Payton back (there's a rumor of the Panthers wanting to hire him), Bowles was pretty much a fill-in like Allen was and could be gone unless the Bucaneers win the division, and I could see the Raiders moving on from McDaniels by feeling a statue would do a better job.

And bringing up the issue of possibly firing guys with long contracts, the Cardinals should have never given Kingsbury that extension after they lost in the Wild Card round against the Rams. Nothing about his track record suggested the need to extend him.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
December 26th, 2022, 5:39 pm
And bringing up the issue of possibly firing guys with long contracts, the Cardinals should have never given Kingsbury that extension after they lost in the Wild Card round against the Rams. Nothing about his track record suggested the need to extend him.
Couldn't agree more, he's an awful coach who benefitted from extraordinarily good luck last season. Watching him call plays (specifically in the redzone) is viscerally painful.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Anyone beginning to wonder if the Packers are serious about trading Aaron Rodgers? This story has gone on for so long that I'm convinced the Packers decide against trading him just to screw Jordan Love yet again.

Just trade one or the other.