Top 50 Songs of 2020 (50-41)

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 50 Songs of 2020 (50-41)

Post by Shrykespeare »

Leestu, A Hero's Death - Wow that was a trip on a Lynchian level. Reminds me a little of Peter Gabriel's The Barry Williams Show video, but trippier.

Screen, Get Close - I like Disclosure, but this didn't really do anything for me.

Surfer, Flesh Or Blood - Really liked this. Love those fuzzy guitars.

Tranny, The Abhorrent Art - No need to apologize, dude. I usually find SOMETHING to like in most music. In cases like this, it's the instrumentation, which was terrific. I will likely never cross the line of enjoying vocals that sound like he's gargling saltpeter, but you don't need to be sorry for that.

UDM, In Your Eyes - This was okay, not much to hook me though.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Cant say i loved anything today. Could be that i'm super tired too, not sure.

I too like Disclosure, but this song i didn't find very memorable.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

I've been away for most of the weekend...and I'm busy next weekend with J-day (Triple J Hottest 100), the biggest day of the year in my social circle, even bigger than Christmas! But I've got a chance now to start listening.

Surfer - If you told me this was a long lost MBV obscurity I probably would have believed you. I can also hear the Lush comparison...very nice, I'm adding their album.

Shryke - The Killers 2017 album was a welcome return to form with some strong singles - the excellent The Man, the decent Run For Cover, and the under-rated grower Tyson Vs. Douglas, but this album was back to disappointingly dull again - bar this opening track - this song is easily the highlight of the album.

UDM - technically sound snippet of a great song but doesn't capture the feeling of the original - James Blake does in his excellent version (better than the original) of this song

Tranny - nothing stood out for me

Screen - Good to see La Roux is still around even if they don't do much for me. The synth funk wasn't bad here but the vocals grate a bit.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Catching up, not much to take from first three rounds unfortunately:

Leestu
Flatworms, The Aughts - Great song from a very good album (Market Forces is also great). You may recall I had Red Hot Sand from their previous record in my top 100 of the 21st century countdown, and this is right up there with it.
Smith Street Band, Big Smoke - Very much like The Boss, which is listenable without ever really drawing me in.
Fontaines DC, A Hero's Death - I agree, never really been that bothered with Fontaines, don't get the hype. Watched them live last year and they were awful, they have a couple of good songs on the first album but it underwhelmed so never really bothered with this album. This had a Strokes-esque riff which was cool, will check out the new record actually.

Screen
La Roux, 21st Century - Still has a good voice, but the 80s synth pop sound didn't really appeal.
Tinashe, Cash Race - Exactly the kind of female vocal style I can't abide. Sorry not for me.
Disclosure, Get Close - I can bear some Disclosure, others are forgettable. This was just kind of generic club stuff, didn't get into it at all.

Shryke
The Killers, My Own Soul's Warning - I too thought these guys had finished a few years ago, especially as Brandon Flowers went solo. This was very much the latter day Killers I remember, non of the vibrancy of their first record and kind of dull, unfortunately.
Nothing, nowhere, Blood - Sorry buddy, this just isn't for me.
Nothing But Thieves, Is Everybody Going Crazy? - There's a lot going on in this song, kind of a clash of multiple songs none of which really draw me in. He does have a range, but its massively over produced so I can't really connect.

Transformers
Don Toliver, Cardigan - Ugh. Probably my least favourite kind of music out right now, really grates both vocally and through the lack of instrumentation.
Allegaeon, Roundabout - Not for me, though understand the appeal. Growly vocals grate, guitar playing is kind of typical of the genre. Nothing stood out.
Inferi,The Abhorrent Art - 54 seconds in, this was pretty cool. Then it was not. As usual, there's elements of metal I like, elements I despise. All in one song.

UDM
LeAnn Rhimes, When The Party's Over - Can't say I've ever been a fan, I recall she was just a country tinged pop star from when I was younger, without even having a voice that stood out in the genre. A live version of a cover on a talent show is not going to sway my opinion, I'm afraid.
Riley Baron, Myself - Smooth, pleasant enough vocals which were fine to have on as background music. Will I search out any further, no, will I listen again, sure. Not bad.
Robin Shulz, In Your Your Eyes - Ultra generic dance music. Nothing stood out from the vocals to the production. Will forget this by time I have written this response.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

By the way, I have started a playlist on Spotify for the first 10 (50-41) batches of songs to play at your own leisure. Here is the link for anyone interested. I will keep adding songs each day as we progress.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/39FiO ... xgrEiSezKA

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

silversurfer19 wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 12:43 pm
By the way, I have started a playlist on Spotify for the first 10 (50-41) batches of songs to play at your own leisure. Here is the link for anyone interested. I will keep adding songs each day as we progress.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/39FiO ... xgrEiSezKA
Thanks, Surfer!

And also... ouch

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #47

LEESTU

Ty Segall & Cory Hanson, She’s A Beam

A great collaboration between Ty and Cory Hanson from the great band Wand. This break-up song starts with some T-Rex (an obvious inspiration and idol of Ty Segall) sounding psychedelic pop, then when you are relaxed and enjoying the beauty (the start of a relationship) everything changes and chaos ensues in the form of psychedelic prog (the end of a relationship).

SCREEN

The Bonfyre, Automatic

I love her voice here. The production is average, but her voice makes up for it tenfold.

SHRYKE

Far Out feat. Ally Thorn, Adventure

Nobody has to really understand it
Now and then, you gotta walk away
Looking for space, maybe a little freedom
Just an adventure running through our veins

I haven’t found much on Far Out or Ally Thorn, which is a shame as I’ve been interested since I found this song while grazing around the YouTube channel Suicide Sheep (a source for quite a few of my songs on this list). Far Out is described as a “cinematic electronic Canadian DJ/producer”. I love great electronica, and this one definitely qualifies.

SURFER

Deeper, The Knife

The Chicago band have had a more traumatic year than most, even in what was quite a crappy year in the first place. Just prior to recording their last record Auto-Pain, guitarist Mike Clawson left the band and subsequently committed suicide. The album reflects much of the pain the band have had to deal with in the fallout of this tragic loss of life, but it also makes for quite a cathartic experience, and this is no less displayed as the album reaches its conclusion with The Knife. While the lyrics suggest taking a leap into the unknown as a means to escape being stuck in a loop of normality, it seems a kind of breakthrough for the band in dealing with loss. Backed with post-punk guitars and synths which recall both The Cure and more recently Preoccupations, it makes for a powerful song that may just provide the light at the end of the tunnel.

TRANSFORMERS

Bring Me the Horizon, Obey (feat. Yungblud)
British act Bring Me the Horizon crafted such a satisfyingly nostalgic cocktail out of several metal subgenres (nu, industrial, metalcore) that shaped them as artists it even made briefly forget that Yungblud's voice is super annoying!

UNDEADMONKEY

Shakira, Perro Fiel

This is one of my favorites of recent releases.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Not much to say about #48, except this : Surfer, I have never heard of this French band !!!!
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

#47.

Leestu - From our many online conversations, I know of your deep love for Ty Segall. Sadly, it's one I doubt I'll ever share.

Surfer - I did get Cure vibes from this song, although the opening guitar riff immediately made my brain go to "Message in a Bottle". Good stuff.

Tranny - I like me some BMTH! (Also not a fan of Yungblud. He and Machine Gun Kelly are freakin' everywhere, and it gets annoying AF.) Decent song.

UDM - Good to see Shakira's hips still telling the truth. Song was okay.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Added Screen's #47 above.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19 wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 12:38 pm
Leestu
Flatworms, The Aughts - Great song from a very good album (Market Forces is also great). You may recall I had Red Hot Sand from their previous record in my top 100 of the 21st century countdown, and this is right up there with it....
I had forgotten that but now that you mention it I think I do remember that. I'm not going to look it up and check but I am pretty sure I really liked it. I still need to check out their debut.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Transformers - decent version of a classic song, even if I more appreciate the original than like it

UDM - not bad...good vocal performance

Surfer - an Aussie post-punk band I haven't heard of...how do you find this stuff? (just a rhetorical question - I know there is so much out there we can't all hear everything even within our own interests as Australian music and post-punk is within mine)...anyway cool retro post-punk with harmonies that was enjoyable enough but maybe not enough going on to actively seek out more - but if I see them on a festival line-up or supporting someone I'm seeing I'll check them out for sure

Shryke - strange combination of lyrics, music, and video - they all seemed to be against each other rather than working together

Screen - the transition was the best part ;)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Screen - so during the millennium countdown I made a comment that my problem with Disclosure was all their songs being stylistically too similar. Well I'm glad to say they paid attention and I've really liked most of their material in 2020. They have diversified their sound and got featured artists from a wider range of genres...Energy is my favourite, My High is a great song, and this song had me grooving along...nice pick

Surfer - another band I haven't heard of but I liked it

Tranny - I'm so confused right now - music like this is normally hit or miss for me but this one is is in the middle, I can't work out wether I like it or not and I usually never have that issue...there is something both god and not so good here

Shryke - I quite like NBT, one of their songs made my facebook 100 a couple of years ago. You didn't mention it but Impossible is their standout track from this year - does that mean it's still to come? It really shows off his powerful vocals. As does this cover they did a few years ago https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/like-a-v ... n/10105470 - you should check it out if you get a chance

UDM - for danceclubs only...and my extremely rare danceclub partying nights are decades behind me

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 47

Leestu: Ty Segall and Cory Hason, 'She's A Beam' - How did I not know these two had been collaborating last year? I have, like yourself, a deep love for Ty, and Wand are superb, their last record was one of my favourite of last year. This song took a little while to get going, felt like a Segall album track at first, but once it got going this was immense. Loved it.

Screen: The Bonfyre, 'Automatic' - Very dull beat, and to be honest the vocals you love did nothing for me. Will just leave it at that.

Shryke : Far Out, 'Adventure' - Started out with a Moby-esque vibe which was fine, but quickly escalated into stereotypical dance which didn't appeal, did not get anything cinematic out of it and was not a fan of the vocals. I know our tastes merge at some point in 80s electro, but this is far from it so will wait until I find that moment where our tastes align.

Transformers: Bring Me The Horizon, 'Obey' - Probably would have listened to this 20 years ago, has that sound that was popular with bands like InMe et al back then. Tastes have changed since then, however, I'm far too old and creaky for this youthful metal! Can't mosh to this, my neck would be in pieces!

UDM: Shakira, 'Perro Fiel' - Kids were mesmerised by her, so obviously she has an impact still (my little boy is only 2 and already a ladies man so he was working his moves on her picture!!), they were dancing away so I won't knock this as obviously I'm not the target audience. Will say I preferred her vocals to the guy though.