Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by Buscemi2 »

Collective 9/10

Not just a documentary on a terrible accident, this is an all-encompassing expose on the Romanian government and those who fight an ultimately losing battle to change it. This incredibly fascinating and important documentary stresses the needs for freedom of the press and basic health care, even if we choose to turn a blind eye on these ideas, as you never know when we might lose those things and let corruption become the name of the game. Avoiding the typical "talking heads and narration" format, the style of filmmaking brings to mind Costa-Gavras' Z and in a way, is every bit as thrilling and chilling as that film.

Even if you don't like to watch things that end up making you angry at the end, you must see this one.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Fatman 1/10

One of the most monumentally stupid premises in recent memory is played totally straight by a pair of overgrown 14 year-olds who take a one-joke premise and stretch it to 100 minutes that will make you feel dumber every second it goes on. The characters are unlikeable, the padding is like the softest bed you've ever slept on, and the production is so bland that it makes you pine for straight-to-DVD action. The film even fails at developing shock value as no attempt is really made to offend.

By the end, the only thing you will be wondering about this film is "Why?".

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi2 wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 8:49 pm
Fatman 1/10

One of the most monumentally stupid premises in recent memory is played totally straight by a pair of overgrown 14 year-olds who take a one-joke premise and stretch it to 100 minutes that will make you feel dumber every second it goes on. The characters are unlikeable, the padding is like the softest bed you've ever slept on, and the production is so bland that it makes you pine for straight-to-DVD action. The film even fails at developing shock value as no attempt is really made to offend.

By the end, the only thing you will be wondering about this film is "Why?".
I LOL'd when my local film fest touted this as their big get this year. They had the world premiere and hyped it up for weeks :lol:
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Monster Hunter 3/10

Boring ripoff of better movies (such as Aliens, Starship Troopers, Stargate, and Enemy Mine) where Milla Jovovich is transported to another world and must team up with Tony Jaa to fight monsters so she can return home. As camp, this could have been a fun movie but unfortunately, it's all played straight as each battle and military reference is less interesting than the previous one. Ron Perlman gives the best performance but gets little to do.

But hey, it was better than Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Soul 8/10

A last third and abrupt ending that brings down the film prevented me from giving this a 9. But all in all, a nice return to form for Pixar after Onward was a bit of a disappointment. Jamie Foxx and Tina Fey play off each other well as a music teacher who falls into a coma after a freak accident and the millennia-old soul that he must bring to life to return to the real world. However, things don't go as planned and he returns as a cat and she as him. The best scenes are in the middle third while the first third has one of the more interesting depictions of the afterlife and the world before we are born, showing once again that Pixar trusts its audience and doesn't dumb things down like other American animation studios do. It just ends up not being at the level of their classics on a whole.

But if you've got 90 minutes (subtracting the 15 minutes of end credits) away from your family and festivities, give it a go.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

have had some time off this week, tried to catch up on a few movies i've wanted to see

Tenet 1/10

what self indulgent trash. I used to think memento was nolans worst film and now i can consider it a masterpiece compared to this. Nolan was so lucky he can blame covid for its performance, i truly believe this would have not made much more in normal times. Has everyone else seen it? Maybe my expectations were too high after not seeing a new release in what 10 months, but it wasn't like i was expecting Dark Knight greatness, more just mindless Inception fun, instead I got "look at me, we are so cool and rich and clever. we can crash a plane in slo mo reversed. wow we are so original"

Mulan 3/10

I grew up on Mulan, so it might have been a hindrance to enjoying this. I'm not sure how accurate they were trying to be according to the legend, but in my understanding the legend is a myth so i don't see the point in being 'historically accurate'. I did not like the addition of The Force, i honestly expected a lightsaber to show up at any minute. I missed the comedy of the animation.

Ava 2/10

the most generic spy movie to have ever generic'd

Queens Gambit 6/10

i really hate that the best thing ive seen this week was on netflix. it was interesting while bland at sections.

Wasnt the biggest fan of wonder woman, but i do have free hbo max with my phone subscription. so i am looking forward to seeing WW1984 later this evening and so while i do think ATT is being awful throwing their titles onto the streamer, i will take advantage of it.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I might see Wonder Woman on IMAX next week. Just got an AMC gift card so that should cover the ticket price.

And I'm amazed someone else took the time to watch Ava. But it is on Netflix now so I guess if you have time to spare...

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Critical Thinking 7/10

Likeable 90's-set drama about a Miami high school teacher who against all odds coaches a chess team to a national championship. The backstories are somewhat run-of-the-mill but what makes it work are the chess sequences, which are exciting. John Leguizamo makes an admirable directorial debut with this one and delivers in a serious turn as the teacher. Though there are better chess films, this is an enjoyable entry in that field.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

undeadmonkey wrote:
December 25th, 2020, 2:45 pm
Tenet 1/10

what self indulgent trash. I used to think memento was nolans worst film and now i can consider it a masterpiece compared to this. Nolan was so lucky he can blame covid for its performance, i truly believe this would have not made much more in normal times. Has everyone else seen it? Maybe my expectations were too high after not seeing a new release in what 10 months, but it wasn't like i was expecting Dark Knight greatness, more just mindless Inception fun, instead I got "look at me, we are so cool and rich and clever. we can crash a plane in slo mo reversed. wow we are so original"
Yep, seen it in theaters last summer, and boy that was self indulgent indeed. Horrible, even if the film finally starts getting interesting, even if way too complicated, in its last act. But yes, self indulgent trash.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Pinocchio 7/10

I can now say I saw a Matteo Garrone film at my local multiplex. A charming adaptation of the classic story of the puppet who wanted to be a boy, the visuals reign supreme here are there is some beautiful work on display, mainly in the makeup and visual effects. And it's nice to see Roberto Benigni redeem himself after his adaptation of Pinocchio was so badly received nearly two decades ago (he's Geppetto this time). I might have given it an 8 though had Lionsgate chosen to release the film in its original Italian rather than in a dubbed version. However, the dub thankfully isn't awful as it could have been as after a while, you get past the initial shock of this not being in the original language. Hopefully, we get to see this in the States eventually in its intended form as it is a likeable film.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm jealous you could still go see films in theaters.
They are still closed here in France, have been since late october. Still no sign of re-opening in the coming weeks, it won't happen until late january at best.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Theaters here are open too. I considered going to see Promising Young Woman but then I read it'll be VOD in two weeks, so I'll wait.

I have to wonder who are these people paying to see WW84 (there's sold out shows here), when its streaming on HBOMax, which is cheaper for 1 month than 1 movie ticket.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

There are more Chiens in the world than you think

(also, it's a cheapish way to get out of the house. I paid £20 to see Ma Rainey's Black Bottom in my local cinema a week before its Netflix release, just for that big-screen experience).

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Theaters are also still open here statewide (Boston proper-which is where I see most of my movies including all 3 titles I've seen theatrically during COVID)-has been closed for a couple weeks and won't be open until at least mid-January), I'm just not willing to venture out when 'Rona cases are so high to go see fucking Monster Hunter or experience WW1984 or Promising Young Woman on the big screen when they're already or about to be available for me to watch at home.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:
December 29th, 2020, 12:32 pm
There are more Chiens in the world than you think
We're an army.
numbersix wrote:
December 29th, 2020, 12:32 pm
I paid £20 to see Ma Rainey's Black Bottom in my local cinema a week before its Netflix release, just for that big-screen experience
Yeah, last year I paid 10€ to go see Uncut Gems in theaters instead of seeing it on Netflix, it was totally worth the money.
Fluctuat nec mergitur