The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by numbersix »

Cinemas: 1895-2021

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't see how they can do this going forward without a drastic cutback in film production costs. Now, yeah, with everything going on and the amount of stuff that's just been sitting collecting dust they have to take a loss now. But will they be able to recoup an investment of a yet to be made giant superhero blockbuster only by digital sales and their streaming services?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Oh yeah, budgets will have to come down at the higher scale. The deals will at least ensure bigger films won't bomb as hard, but it's likely there will never be another $2b film like Endgame or Titanic.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The boom or bust era of cinema was bound to end, COVID or not. But of course, Netflix is able to make $200 million+ films (The Irishman cost $230 million, for example) without ever needing to go theatrical.

But some of those Warner Bros. movies were probably going to flop anyway in a traditional platform. Not many of those titles looked like bonafide hits. Also, have you seen WarnerMedia's debt load? They need fast money.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

W wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 3:01 pm
I don't see how they can do this going forward without a drastic cutback in film production costs. Now, yeah, with everything going on and the amount of stuff that's just been sitting collecting dust they have to take a loss now. But will they be able to recoup an investment of a yet to be made giant superhero blockbuster only by digital sales and their streaming services?
Depends on whether or not this is a short term response to the pandemic/high profile HBO Max marketing tool or the new model. The fact that this strategy (seemingly) only applies to the US and that like Wonder Woman, these titles will only be available for a month on HBO Max after they're released before reverting back to their established solely theatrical play>home video/standard VOD>linear HBO/HBO Max model indicates that it is intended to just be a band aid, but if it ends up being a permanent thing-budgets and production volume would definitely have to go down.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

For reference purposes, here's Warner's 2021 slate as of right now (including currently undated titles):
The Conjuring 3
Cry Macho
Don't Worry Darling
Dune
Elvis
Godzilla vs. Kong
In the Heights
Judas and the Black Messiah
King Richard
The Little Things
Malignant
The Matrix 4
The Many Saints of Newark
Mortal Kombat
Reminisce
Space Jam 2
The Suicide Squad
Those Who Wish Me Dead
Tom and Jerry

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

transformers2 wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 3:50 pm
W wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 3:01 pm
Depends on whether or not this is a short term response to the pandemic/high profile HBO Max marketing tool or the new model. The fact that this strategy (seemingly) only applies to the US and that like Wonder Woman, these titles will only be available for a month on HBO Max after they're released before reverting back to their established solely theatrical play>home video/standard VOD>linear HBO/HBO Max model indicates that it is intended to just be a band aid, but if it ends up being a permanent thing-budgets and production volume would definitely have to go down.
WB said that this will be only for 2021 and is direct response to the pandemic, though we'll see about that.

I don't think this ends theaters, but it's a huge change in how they'll operate from now on. I wonder what Disney has planned in response.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It does surprise me that Raya and the Last Dragon isn't getting the Soul treatment. I guess Disney Feature Animation is a higher priority than Pixar.

But I don't get why they are still planning to release Free Guy theatrically (other than it's 20th Century). In addition to it looking dreadful (the fact that this was going to initially open on Independence Day weekend shows that even without COVID, the 2020 movie season was going to suck), the death of Alex Trebek instantly dates the film.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

What an earthquake. I'm curious what the repercussions will be internationally.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I wouldn't expect a big ripple effect if this indeed a temporary move. For example, Brazil is actually releasing HBO Max titles theatrically.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Briarcliff has another Liam Neeson thriller coming, as they will release The Marksman on January 22nd.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It looks like Robert Rodriguez made a movie for Netflix that we didn't know about. We Can Be Heroes comes out on Christmas Day.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

An Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl sequel is the Christmas present I've been wishing for every year since 2006. Dreams do come true!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Monster Hunter is now opening next Friday. For a company that's been insistent on delaying titles, Sony really wants to release this one as this is the third time they've moved it up.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Greenland will hit PVOD next Friday, suggesting that the HBO Max deal might have just been a pay cable/SVOD agreement. A Blu-ray will be released in early 2021.