Coronavirus Megathread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: Coronavirus Megathread

Post by undeadmonkey »

Have gone to the theater several times this summer, To see old films, jurassic, Harry Potter etc, havent had a chance to see tenet yet. Life just lately busy again.

Its a local theater chain, has only a few locations. They've been super clean, and honestly they've been mostly empty showings, you meet more people going to Walmart.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The nearest Regal closed again. Can't say I'm surprised, as every time I've been there since August, it had been near empty.

They were the only theatre in my area to get Fathom Events titles though, so I won't get to go to the TCM shows unless the AMC picks them up.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah my local Picturehouse (the UK's version of Drafthouse, minus the systematic sexual abuse) is closing as its owned by Cineworld too. A real shame, although from what I can tell Tenet was the only film that drew an audience.

Fortunately I've a 2-screen independent cinema 10 mins walk, and hopefully that will remain open. I might catch the La Haine restoration just to support it.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I can confirm that this virus sucks. I came down with it October 4 and got tested the next day and it came back negative. Then I learned people I knew (but hadn't seen) tested positive. After a week I went back to get tested and yesterday I was confirmed positive. I was basically told by the local and state health people that I didn't need quarantined anymore even though they told me a few hours before I was positive. This is because I'm not running a fever anymore, it's ten days after my symptoms started, and my symptoms are getting better. That makes me not contagious anymore, I guess, but I still don't feel like I should be around people. I mean I took the test two days before.

In my experience the government sucks. The first time I tried to get tested was the first day they changed the system you're supposed to use to get tested, but it still said the old company they used on the official health department website (two weeks later, it still says this). So they're telling me to drive an hour each way to a tiny city's fire station to get tested. I end up going to the hospital where I may get a bill because I had to see a doctor before they administered the test. I didn't really want to take the chance I'd pass out during the two hours of driving. Then it takes 3-6 days to get the results back and then it's a false negative.

I had all the symptoms except the lack of taste. I even lost my sense of smell, though it's about 10% back. After the first couple days it was relatively mild, but those first couple days were the worst cold/flu I'd had. I went from feeling drunk to hungover and back. My brain still is pretty foggy after a minimal amount of working and breathing is slightly labored. I couldn't even watch the few movies I had on tap. All I could really do was watch some brainless movies or tv that I'd seen multiple times already.

For someone that works with the public five days a week I'm pretty good about doing everything you're supposed to. Work, home, grocery store, gas station. My car was in the shop and borrowed one from a family member and that's where I was exposed. I'm very fortunate that I contracted it Friday just after work and got super sick that Sunday night, so didn't go into work that Monday. So I saw nobody from the minute I was exposed to the virus until today. The person I was exposed to didn't show symptoms until two days ago (they were quarantined when a friend of theirs tested positive). I couldn't live with myself if I accidentally killed one of the older people that come in to my work.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Man, sorry to hear that, W. Sounds awful, especially as it seems you were only briefly exposed. But at least you're doing the right thing and avoiding spreading it around. And hopefully now you're immune.

I'm certain I had it in December, as it was the worst flu I've experienced in years, where I couldn't stand up for long without having to lie down and sleep (and the only thing I could watch was The Mandalorian as it was so glossy and shallow and easy), and had a bad cough for 2 weeks in early Jan. Maybe I had it, maybe I didn't. But I've friends who had it in March who still are struggling with their lung capacity and it's really frustrating them. This is not a pleasant virus. I've already lost one family member to it, and with rates skyrocketing in my home country I'm concerned about my parents and my grandfather.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

My sister tested positive earlier this week, after being exposed at a sports bar while watching a football game. Previously, she'd thought she had twice before but she can become overdramatic.

Now my family is taking these things seriously, needless to say.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Sorry to hear that W, but glad that you're trending in the right direction now. This next stretch of the calendar is going to be fucking brutal for all of us. It's not lost on me how fortunate I am to have not lost anyone close to me or contracted it myself (that I know of at least) yet and can only hope that run of luck continues for however much longer this ends up lasting.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I knew zero people that tested positive until about ten days ago. Now six. The craziest thing is now our entire county health department closed today for two weeks because every single person that works there is quarantined.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Holy shit, that's insane and awful.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Hey guys, it seems like forever since I last came here. That damn situation has me ore lazy than ever, which I didn't think was possible.
I hope you're better now W.

I didn't catch it, but have been struck by it through my festival, as here in France we got locked down again, 2 days after we had started our annual Paris Korean Film Festival. It was a big blow and I stayed in bed crying for several days, but now I feel better.

I'm staying home again, homeworking, watching films and series on TV, enjoying my best 2020 Covid life.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I'm good. My mom's breathing isn't 100% back to normal yet (since early October), but she's good. Everyone else I know that's had it is good except one person I know who's husband passed last month of it.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Sorry to hear that, W. Stay strong.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

not cool, but weird, i had it about the same time W did back at the end of October.

Fortunately for me it was basically a head cold and the only other symptom was body aches for like a week. Got it from my dad who had it way worse, he had a fever for about 8 days and dr prescribed him steroid inhalers. everyone has had it now in my family and everyones fine, even my 75 year old grandparents

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Not sure about the US but here in the UK it's gotten way worse, spreading really quickly. Most of my friends have it or had it (one got it the night we were all hanging out together, which is concerning). Possibly due to the new strain that's in the UK and prompted the new lockdown which prevented me from flying home for the hols. It's pretty crazy and we're so relieved the vaccine has been rolled out. I've already lost one family member, I'd rather not lose anyone else.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

sorry for your loss, hoping the rest will be ok.

we havent been on lockdown since summer here in texas, and while the numbers have been going up, it hasn't been awful in my area. seems like most everyone got it in september or october. i dont know anyone that has gotten the virus in over a month now