The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by transformers2 »

What did you think of it? Saw some people comparing it to Blue Valentine earlier in the week, which really piqued my interest.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The performances are great, the first scene is incredible, but the last 30 minutes turn it into a poorly written, and difficult to believe, soap opera.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Got it. Looking forward to checking it out when it hits Netflix in the coming months.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Netflix just spent $30 million on Malcolm & Marie, the secretly-shot John David Washington film. Can't see it faring any better than the director's last one (Assassination Nation).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

A Rachel Leigh Cook-led romantic comedy directed by Mark Steven Johnson has been in the top 10 watched movies in the States for the past 2 weeks, being within the first handful of entries in the just added/new releases section is really all you need to be successful on Netflix.

Plus you're completely ignoring that Levinson's stock is way up after the breakout success of Euphoria last summer and more importantly, Zendaya is a legit star.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

But it's $30 million on what's basically an experimental film from a director with no success in film. Speaking of Levinson, we've seen nothing for Deep Water (which he adapted for the screen) and that's still scheduled for November.

As for TV guys whose stock went up after a popular show leading them to direct a film, it didn't help David Chase, Matthew Weiner, or Noah Hawley. And their shows were way bigger than Euphoria.

And back to the release dates, Universal will open the Jennifer Lopez/Owen Wilson comedy Marry Me on 2/12/2021. Rumors have this one being an AMC exclusive followed by PVOD.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi2 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 5:54 pm
Netflix just spent $30 million on Malcolm & Marie, the secretly-shot John David Washington film. Can't see it faring any better than the director's last one (Assassination Nation).
I'm actually excited for this one, but I'm still not cool with John David Washington being a love interest to Zendaya, who's almost half his age. I'd think in a post-Me Too industry, this wouldn't be accepted anymore.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

There was that Kevin Bacon/Amanda Seyfried movie recently where they played a married couple. But then again, that was a Blumhouse production.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Remember that Thomas the Tank Engine movie that had Alec Baldwin and the girl from Matilda? I found Fathom Events is reissuing it next month to promote the Blu-ray release. This should satisfy those weirdos on YouTube.

Also, Greenland has lost its date. I didn't see very many seeing this Deep Impact ripoff anyway.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It looks like Wolfwalkers, Cartoon Saloon's project for Apple+, will get a theatrical run to boost its Oscar chances as GKIDS has gotten involved with its release.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Croods 2 will now open on 11/25/2020 so it can hit VOD in time for Christmas. Whether or not Soul will move remains to be seen.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Sony has pulled Connected, Peter Rabbit 2, and Morbius from their dates. I'm beginning to think Sony has no intention of ever releasing any big movies again (they however have two Stage 6 titles set to open in the next few weeks).

I also expect The Happiest Season to lose its date despite recently getting an MPA rating.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Bleecker Street has picked up the Last of the Mohicans-esque drama The World to Come. Despite (or maybe because of) Casey Affleck's involvement, I'm expecting an Oscar run towards the February 28th deadline.

Meanwhile, The Trial of the Chicago 7 will open three weeks early theatrically this Friday. With Netflix heavily pushing this one, it looks like Mank will be delayed a while (this was supposed to premiere at the New York Film Festival but didn't).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Malcolm & Marie will be saved for late next year. I guess that's not any different from Sony refusing to release its tentpoles (which makes me wonder if they might sell some of them to streamers, Connected and Peter Rabbit 2 could go to Netflix while Morbius would fit in with Disney+).

Meanwhile, Solstice has picked up the Mark Wahlberg vehicle Good Joe Bell, which is from the writers of Brokeback Mountain. Should do well with the inspirational crowd.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Sony has picked up The Duke, which has gotten some positive early word from festivals. So who knows when it's coming out (though I'm sure they'll try to campaign Jim Broadbent for another Oscar).

On the Basis of Sex and RBG will be getting wide reissues this weekend in memory of Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

And Paramount is planning to get back into TV movies, as they intend to retool the Paramount Network (again) into the Paramount Movie Network. The movies will be produced for both that network and the newly-renamed Paramount+ (formerly CBS All Access). I'd imagine a lot of the movies will be sequels and unproduced projects in the Paramount and CBS vaults (such as those Vince Flynn adaptations CBS canceled after American Assassin disappointed).

Lastly, it looks like Saint Maud has been pulled from the schedule again. A24, it's obvious that your money reserves have depleted as a result of not doing virtual cinema. Sell off some of these movies. You can't be like Sony and sit on them forever.