The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

I had a feeling Bill & Ted was going to end up bypassing theatres. Advanced word had been negative.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the same thing happen to Candyman. There seems to be a lot of backlash for even daring to remake it.

And in other news, Mulan is now undated. I have to imagine this will go to Disney+ now. Meanwhile, Unhinged is now looking at a TBA August date. If not for Regal requiring it to run theatrically, I bet this would have been sold to Netflix long ago.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Paramount Moves:
Sold rights to Without Remorse to Amazon
A Quiet Place II 4/16/21 (from 9/4/20)
Top Gun: Maverick 7/2/21 (from 12/19/20)
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Well, Without Remorse will at least be released now. This has been in the works since in the mid 90's.

Between this and Jack Ryan, it wouldn't surprise me if Amazon did more business with the Tom Clancy estate.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Certainly seems to be something they're interested in doing. Maybe they'll make that Splinter Cell movie that's been kicked around for the last decade or so.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Congrats 70+ functional countries, you get to see Tenet on August 26th.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

transformers2 wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 1:05 pm
Congrats 70+ functional countries, you get to see Tenet on August 26th.
I'll believe that when it happens.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I still think Nolan is behind COVID, and this is all a stunt to make us anticipate Tenet. I am gagging to see it, and I didn't like his last few movies!

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I really hope that (at least internationally) Tenet is released safely, and becomes as much of a success as it can be, even though I'm not that interested in it personally. I really am not sure if a US release date is the best idea for Labor Day, though. I guess we'll find out soon enough...
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I still think they should just send it to HBO Max. Continuing to delay it is just foolish.

Also, Nolan needs to understand reality at this point.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The second it goes to HBO max it'll be pirated around the world.

Plenty of countries around the world are dealing with COVID a hell of a lot better than the US (in fact the only country worse is Brazil).

So it makes sense to do a late August release abroad and wait until later for the US.

It's done all the time here in Europe when US blockbusters come a few months later, so why not do the reverse.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'd say it's just better to let the film be pirated than show it in empty auditoriums just because Nolan wants 70mm prints.

The cynic in me believes that Nolan is a COVID denier (I mean, The Dark Knight Trilogy was interpreted as pro-Patriot Act so it would be on par) but he is just being stubborn as hell by continuously delaying the film and appeasing the theatre owners because he lives in a different world.

By the way, as anyone else been following the attempts of theatre owners to ask Congress for money? I hate this idea for one reason: it creates the possibility of political powers dictating what can and cannot be shown. They do this in China and Turkey and it has led extremist propaganda to be forced onto screens. I do not want to see theatres forcing Dinesh D'Sousa's conspiracy theory trash onto audiences.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 3:42 pm
The second it goes to HBO max it'll be pirated around the world.

Plenty of countries around the world are dealing with COVID a hell of a lot better than the US (in fact the only country worse is Brazil).

So it makes sense to do a late August release abroad and wait until later for the US.

It's done all the time here in Europe when US blockbusters come a few months later, so why not do the reverse.
Agreed. Theaters are open in most territories outside of the States, so why continue to withhold new releases from there? The torrenting concern is remarkably overblown to me. People who torrent or illegally stream movies on the regular don't tend to see stuff in theaters anyways.

While it's a safe bet that more titles will be bypassing theaters as the pandemic continues to rage at full force in the vast majority of the US, straight-up dumping titles on Disney+, HBO Max, etc just feels like a horrible business strategy at a time where studios are bleeding cash (why Disney elected to put Hamilton on Disney+ right away is completely beyond me). Selling titles to streamers or utilizing PVOD just feels like a much more viable strategy for titles that studios don't want to keep kicking the can down the road with the hope of something having a "normal" release during these uncertain times.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Disney+ can eat the money they would have lost on Hamilton because so many people have a subscription. Also, there's no guarantee that a 160 minute filmed performance of a play would have made money, especially as Miranda continues to negotiate for a traditional film version of the story.

There's no guarantee that the movies that keep getting delayed will make money theatrically as well. Who outside of hardcore Nolan fans are excited about Tenet? And speaking of rescheduled movies, who actually wants to see Unhinged right away? That's the kind of movie that you watch on Netflix. The only movies that I can see doing well in theatres are the comic book adaptations and Soul.

Christopher Nolan needs a wake-up call and that wake-up call is to release Tenet in a way to where more than a few people can actually see it. And then we find out it wasn't worth waiting for.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Universal and AMC recently announced a three weekend exclusivity deal and now everyone is freaking out. I expect the anger will die down in a day or two and we'll all forget about it.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 3:27 pm
Universal and AMC recently announced a three weekend exclusivity deal and now everyone is freaking out. I expect the anger will die down in a day or two and we'll all forget about it.
Didn't AMC already do this years ago with one of the Paranormal Activity movies (which was released after found-footage fell out of fashion)?
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/