Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - THE #1s

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - THE #1s

Post by silversurfer19 »

Thoughts on Chienfantome's Countdown

I quite enjoyed your rundown of favourite songs this millennium, Chien, there was a nice mix of the familiar and the new for me, and while on both of those counts my appreciation was hit and miss, it gave me something to look forward to each round. I can probably say, without confirming this, that you probably had the most 'new to me' songs that I enjoyed, even if sometimes my comments didn't seem to come across that way. From Angus and Julia Stone, Phoenix, Daft Punk, Divine Comedy, Metric, David Byrne, Anthony and the Johnsons and David Bowie, there was a lot to give me an appetite to explore further.

Obviously you have a preferetial style of music, and some of the overtly French stuff didn't appeal, but it was nice to hear some forgotten songs from the likes of Badly Drawn Boy, Sufjan, Mercury Rev, The Postal Service and of course Johnny Cash on your countdown. A shame we didn't have the one crossover, but then I guess that just provides me with more new stuff to explore.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your list, a fantastic no 1 which I think will be met with nods of approval all round, not sure which version of the song I prefer as they are both so different, but great song nevertheless that on another day could have made my own list.

Great start to the no 1's!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

NSpan, first a word on your number 1 song. Well, I had never heard of Pillowfight. I mean, before this countdown, obviously, because now I'll never forget that band's name :lol:
And I actually think this may indeed be the best I've heard from them, at least it's one that seems more distinctive to me, while the others all sounded kind of the same to my ears.

About your list as a whole, you're the one who scared me the most at first, with your Anais Mitchell songs that played day after day, I thought we'd never get out of that time loop you trapped us in. But we got out... and got stuck in a more vicious time loop, because more stretched in time, the Pillowfight time loop !

We didn't have any crossover, and our taste may seem quite different, but usually I found your songs okay, easy to listen to, even if not really to my taste.
And we did share some love for Phoenix and Metric, and that was a pleasant surprise.

I think my favourite discovery from your list was "Shanty" by The Bright Light Social Hour, which was a really cool song. And that Wilco song as your#2 was pretty good too.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 12:20 pm
Well, Chien, let me dive in and be the first to judge... I mean compliment... your list.

It's funny, you're one of two people whose music list I expected to automatically love because of a similar film taste.
I've learned along the way that you can have similar film tastes with someone, and not music tastes, and vice versa. But that' okay. In fact I love songs the wy I love film, it's a pulse of emotion that runs through my vein, it can come from many genres, many places, have different shapes.

I'm glad you could stil find some love in all this. And we did have two crossovers, which is kind of amazing actually.
Shrykespeare wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 8:19 pm
Chien, mon frere, though our lists had only one song in common, there were many completely new-to-me songs that I really liked.
12 songs I chose you loved, including one crossover. That's fantastic Shryke. Among all you oved, I'm thrilled you loved "A la folie" by Juliette Armanet. You may be the only one at that !! And the AaRON song too.
Shrykespeare wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 8:19 pm
Thanks, as always, for being the cool French guy and not the snooty, Clouseau-esque waiter type who can't pronounce "chowder" (Simpsons reference).
I don't have that reference, but I'm glad you see more as a cool French guy. I know I can be the snobby, irritating Parisian sometimes (Six will confirm that) ;)
Ron Burgundy wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 12:13 am
Your taste was (whatever it means) full of spleen. There was some music that didn't grab my attention at all, but i don't think i actually disliked any of your songs. And like most songs, i don't know them, so listening to 80% new stuff, often getting a nice surprise.
3 crossovers, that's gotta be the max crossovers I had with someone !! And if you didn't dislike any of my songs, well, that's a feat already. I hope some of my French-singing choices reminded you a bit of your Parisian adventures from the past ;)
Leestu wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 3:56 am
The most pleasing surprise for me, and quite unexpected, was the couple of Angus and Julia Stone picks.
Yeah, I love them, saw them twice live here in Paris, they're great.
I'll thank you Leestu, becuse I think you're the one who appreciated my Benjamin Biolay choices the most over here, although I remember Shyrke really enjoyed "Comment est ta peine ?" too. That makes you a man of great taste for sure ;)
transformers2 wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 10:34 am
Our tastes may be more opposite than anyone else that was involved in this countdown.
Unfortunately, I agree :lol: I can't blame you, since I had the same reaction with your choices. But I'm glad you could still enjoy a few of my choices.
silversurfer19 wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 2:21 pm
I quite enjoyed your rundown of favourite songs this millennium, Chien, there was a nice mix of the familiar and the new for me, and while on both of those counts my appreciation was hit and miss, it gave me something to look forward to each round.
Well, indeed it seemed to me that most of the time you didn't really like most of my choices, so I'm delighted I was wrong and you enjoyed discovering and listening to the songs I picked. I'm surprised, with all the non-english stuff I listed, I was the only one listing some English singing artists like David Byrne, The Divine Comedy, Antony and the Johnsons (hough one appeared under a different name), Mercury Rev, Badly Drawn Boy or Angus and Julia Stone.
We didn't have that one crossover indeed, but I can tell you there are a couple of your songs that might have made my list, had I known them before. But we'll talk about that when it's your turn ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan,

I can tell from your list that you pretty much did the equivalent of doing your homework on the bus to school on Monday morning. Either that or you've no real interest in modern music and just posted the 5 albums you've listend to since 2000 ;)

In some instances I was pretty impressed. You posted most of the best tracks of The Rapture's 3rd album, so no complaints from me about that. But not sure if I was enamoured by Anais Mitchell so 5 songs in a row didn't particularly work for me. Nor the entirety of the Pillow Fight album! However, what your list did do was make me aware of Dan the Automator - he must be involved in at least 20% of your list! And most of his stuff was great. He's a master of using old-skool beats to make something that's the perfect level of laid-back: a good groove that keeps you listening and doesn't let you drift away. And indeed, I see DtA produced one of the songs from my list, Primal Scream's Exterminator. Most of his solo stuff and collaborations were great, just not when paired with female vocalists (and I consider Mary Elizabeth Winstead to be an under-rated actress) for some reason.

Elsewhere your music choices were very retro in style, often recreating 60s and 70s psych rock with no real sense of update. But since I like that music I was fine with that. You should definitely give Thee Oh Sees and Ty Segall serious attention. And if you ever come to London I'll take you to a bar that plays nothing but music like this.

Sadly no crossovers. I was convinced you'd pick at least one Rapture song from Echoes, but sadly not. I came very close to including Get Myself Into It, so there's at least that. I did enjoy the likes of the Dandy Warhols, Phoenix, Clinic (who I will explore more), Spoon, the Brian Jonestown Massacre, and of course Life Without Buildings, a highlight from Rough Trade's Post-Punk compilation.

Your #1 song was the best of the Pillow Fight songs, at least. It reminded me of 90s Portishead in its use of cinematic strings to give a hazy, chilled vibe, so I very much enjoyed it.

So overall it was fun. Maybe if you put a little effort into it then it would be even better ;)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Spanny,

There were so many songs on your list that I found very meh, but there were very few I actively disliked. You made me a huge fan of Gram Rabbit, and the inclusions of XTC, Spoon and Dandy Warhols were very welcome. That Redwalls song you had at #30 is just wonderful.

90.Zoot Woman-Information First
75.Gram Rabbit-Shiny Monster
72.Dandy Warhols-Cool as Kim Deal
67.XTC-Wounded Horse
66.Spoon-Everything Hits at Once
47.Dandy Warhols-We Used to Be Friends
42.Danger Doom-Benzi Box
36.Gram Rabbit-Off with Your Head
33.Galatic-Bittersweet
30.The Redwalls-Game of Love
23.Spoon-The Underdog
20.The Rapture-Get Myself Into It
19.Phoenix-Too Young
17.Metric-Black Sheep
14.Silversun Pickups-Lazy Eye
9.XTC-I'm the Man Who Murdered Love

Sadly, the fact that there aren't any Pillow Fight songs on this list of my faves of yours rather predisposes that I'm not going to be over the moon about your #1. Throw that one in the "not bad" pile with the rest of them.

I am really glad you took part in this, Nick. If nothing, it brought you back into our crazy circle for a few months. Maybe you can drop buy more than once a decade, huh?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shrykespeare wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 7:13 pm
I am really glad you took part in this, Nick. If nothing, it brought you back into our crazy circle for a few months. Maybe you can drop buy more than once a decade, huh?
Wait, Nick hadn't been around here for a decade ? Seriously ?
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

NSpan: Should've know you were up to something when you said you were done with Pillowfight picks the other day. This one didn't really standout from the rest of the tracks of their you picked, but it was still pleasant enough.

Your list showcased some niches in the music industry that I wasn't even aware existed. While some of the shit was just too out there (Anais Mitchell, Kimya Dawson, Keziah Jones) for me, the underlying oddity that was almost always present made your picks exciting to tackle. I ended up coming out of that avalanche of weird with a much greater appreciation for Dan the Automator's production, an introduction to a really fucking dope psych/stoner rock band in Black Mountain and the discovery that Mary Elizabeth Winstead is not only a brilliant actor, but a gifted singer as well! I also have to give you a big shoutout for featuring several cuts from the DangerDoom record. I hadn't heard that shit in ages and kind of forgot just how great it is.

Top Song: "Stormy High"-Black Mountain
Top Discovery: Black Mountain
Top Re-Discovery: DangerDoom
Other Standouts: "Crosshairs"-DangerDoom, Old School Rules-DangerDoom, "Did We Live Too Fast"-Got a Girl, "Madness"-Deltron 3030, "Old Fangs"-Black Moutain, "Shanty"-The Bright Light Social Hour
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

To give Tranny a break, and to do my list as originally planned and not shifted for the Mystery Rounds

FULL LIST

106: The Murder Capital, “For Everything” (2019)
105: Danny Brown, “uknowhatimsayin?” (2019)
104: M.I.A, “Galang” (2005)
103: U.S. Girls, “Sororal Feelings” (2015)
102: Vampire Weekend, “A Punk” (2008)
101: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Heads Will Roll” (2009)

100: Iceage, “Catch It” (2018)
99: The Horrors, “I Only Think of You” (2009)
98: PJ Harvey, “White Chalk” (2007)
97: Dirty Beaches, “Lone Runner” (2011)
96: Girl Band, “Lawman” (2014)
95: Blanck Mass, “No Lite” (2015)
94: Peaches, “Lovertits” (2000)
93: Songs: Ohia, “Blue Factory Flame” (2002)
92: DJ Shadow, “You Can’t Go Home Again” (2002)
91: Bloc Party, “The Pioneers” (2005)

90: Primal Scream, “Exterminator” (2000)
89: Doves, “Ambition” (2005)
88: Holly Herndon, “Eternal” (2019)
87: Frank Ocean, “Pyramids” (2012)
86: Mitski, “Nobody” (2019)
85: PVT, “Crimson Swan” (2010)
84: Low, “Silver Rider” (2005)
83: Parquet Courts, “Almost Had to Start A Fight/In and Out of Patience” (2018)
82: Grimes, “Realiti” (2015)
81: Kanye West, “Monster” (2010)

80: ANOHNI, “Drone Bomb Me” (2016)
79: Interpol, “Take You on A Cruise” (2004)
78: Exploded View, “Orlando” (2016)
77: Portishead, “The Rip” (2008)
76: Azealia Banks, “212” (2011)
75: Grizzly Bear, “Shift” (2007)
74: The Strokes, “Last Nite” (2001)
73: Protomartyr, “Half-Sister” (2018)
72: The Futureheads, “Hounds of Love” (2004)
71: Atoms for Peace, “Ingenue” (2013)

70: The Arcade Fire “Rebellion (Lies)” (2004)
69: Lower, “Craver” (2012)
68: Big Thief, “Not” (2019)
67: Wilco, “Radio Cure” (2002)
66: Solange, “Losing You” (2012)
65: Idles, “1049 Gotho” (2017)
64: Hot Chip, “Over and Over” (2006)
63: David Lynch feat. Lykki Li, “I’m Waiting Here” (2013)
62: Modest Mouse, “Float On” (2004)
61: Kendrick Lamar, “HUMBLE” (2017)

60: LCD Soundsystem, “All My Friends” (2007)
59: Major Lazer, “Get Free” (2013)
58: Girl Band, “Shoulderblades” (2019)
57: Angel Olsen, “Dance Slow Decades” (2014)
56: Spiritualized, “I Didn’t Mean to Hurt You” (2001)
55: Mogwai, “Friend of the Night” (2006)
54: Swans, “Oxygen” (2014)
53: Grimes, “Oblivion” (2012)
52: Fuck Buttons, “The Red Wing” (2013)
51: Parquet Courts, “Human Performance” (2016)

50: FKA Twigs, “Two Weeks” (2014)
49: A Silver Mt Zion, “God Bless Our Dead Marines” (2005)
48: HEALTH, “Die Slow” (2009)
47: Perfume Genius, “Grid” (2014)
46: The Walkmen, “The Rat” (2004)
45: James Blake, “The Wilhelm Scream” (2011)
44: Thee Oh Sees, “Tidal Wave” (2009)
43: Caribou, “Odessa” (2010)
42: David Bowie, “Blackstar” (2016)
41: Kanye West, “Black Skinhead” (2013)

40: Ryan Adams, “Come Pick Me Up” (2000)
39: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, “Jubilee Street” (2013)
38: Tom Waits, “Hoist that Rag” (2004)
37: Priests, “Nothing Feels Natural” (2017)
36: Sufjan Stevens, “The Owl and the Tanager” (2010)
35: The National, “Mistaken for Strangers” (2007)
34: Johnny Cash, “Hurt” (2002)
33: Liars, “There’s Always Room on the Broom” (2004)
32: The Knife, “Heartbeats” (2003)
31: Explosions in the Sky, “The Moon is Down” (2001)

30: Deerhunter, “Nothing Ever Happened” (2008)
29: !!!, “Hello? Is This Thing On?” (2004)
28: A Silver Mount Zion, “13 Angels Standing Guard Round the Side of Your Bed” (2000)
27: MIA, “Born Free” (2010)
26: Flying Lotus, “Parisian Goldfish” (2008)
25: Savages, “Adore” (2016)
24: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, “My Sorrowful Wife” (2001)
23: Radiohead, “Idioteque” (2000)
22: The Rapture, “House of Jealous Lovers” (2003)
21: Aphex Twin, “Mt Saint Michel/St. Michael’s Mount” (2001)

20: LCD Soundsystem, “On Repeat” (2005)
19: The White Stripes, “Fell in Love with a Girl” (2001)
18: Sun Kil Moon, “Duk Koo Kim” (2003)
17: Wild Beasts, “We Still Got the Taste Dancing in Our Mouths” (2009)
16: Battles, “Atlas” (2007)
15: Idles, “Colossus” (2018)
14: Sigur Ros, “Untitled 4” (2002)
13: Foals, “Black Gold” (2010)
12: Interpol, “Hands Away” (2002)
11: Sufjan Stevens, “Casimir Pulaski Day” (2005)

10: The Rapture, “Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks” (2002)
9: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Maps” (2003)
8: Animal Collective, “My Girls” (2009)
7: Radiohead, “Pyramid Song” (2001)
6: Joanna Newsom, “Good Intentions Paving Co” (2010)
5: Protomartyr, “Scum Rise” (2014)
4: PJ Harvey, “On Battleship Hill” (2011)
3: Kendrick Lamar, “Alright” (2015)
2: The Arcade Fire, “Sprawl II” (2010)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

1: Iceage, “Forever” (2014)

Right, well, I’m not sure if this is my favourite song of the millennium. Hell, by the time I post this it could be my 50th. The more recent the song is the harder it is to consider it a classic, because often classics are part of a general cultural consensus, and that just doesn’t exist anymore.

Iceage are a band, like Protomartyr, that emerged a little too late. If they had been around at the start of the millennium they would be massive rock gods, playing huge venues. Instead, they’re playing bars and smaller venues but at least they’re not succumbing to the trappings of fame and fortune, compromising their artistry, and making me use other assorted music clichés. They are a precocious bunch, recording their debut album when they were still teenagers, and always progressing. Their albums all have different takes on punk, whether it’s the trashy noise of their debut, or the more polished Bowie-inspired numbers of their last release, 2018’s Beyondless. My favourite album of theirs is Plowing Into the Field of Love, where they surprised fans with a cowpunk sound and a wink and a jig to The Pogues.

So why this song? Why this above all others? I can’t really say for sure. But I’ve a few ideas. On a more subjective level, it’s one of those songs that heals me. You see, music does indeed soothe the savage beast. I’ve realised that ever since I played the cassette of The Best of Queen during family car journeys to prevent my pretty extreme car-sickness when I was a kid. Now I use music when I’ve had too much to drink, and it literally stops me from being sick. It pulls me into another realm, calming not just my mind and heart but my entire body. Only a few songs can do this, and Forever is one of them.

Musically this hits my sweet spot. Yes, it’s a very post-punk song, but one that aborbs its influences and carves out something new and exciting. The rhythm section takes a cue from The Bad Seeds, particularly the sleazy bass, while guitarist Johan Weith plays loose, his trashy twanging on those titanium-steel strings contrasting with the smoothness of that bassline and giving the song a raw vibe. And then they throw in something unexpected, a violin droning as if John Cale himself is being conjured up.

Lyrically it’s a simple but profound song. Singer Elias Ronnenfelt imagines himself being split in two. In a universal sense. In psychology they talk about the mirror phase, that sense that we are feeling, inner beings which is disturbed by the external world. We want to be able to fulfil ourselves but need external things to do so – all illustrated by the notion of a child when they first see themselves in the mirror, confused by being both internal and external. Anyway, the idea is that we’re never complete, yet we are always yearning for that ever-evasive sense of total self-unity. And this song, where the singer longs to dive into that other side of himself and “lose myself forever” perfectly captures what it is to be human. If a song can do that, then it has to be good.

So there you go. Hope you enjoyed my songs, or in Geezer’s case, any of my songs.

There are a few that missed my list for various reason – mostly I plain old forgot. So if you really don’t like my #1 feel free to check these out:

"American Skin (41 Shots)" by Bruce Springsteen
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQMqWAiWPMs) - for a rousing protest song about racism

"Corner of the Sky" by Cut Copy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHcneQZZhhk) – for some New Wave dance fun

"You Came to Me" by Beach House (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tS6caxOlTY) – for lo-fi romance

"Funny Feeling" by Titus Andronicus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnUoEv4xQ7c) – for yelling out against your depression

"Ny Batteri" by Sigur Ros (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJV-u_Tt2nk) – for dreamy times

"Close Your Eyes (And Count to Fuck)" by Run the Jewels (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6GyTBVAF4w) – for some inter-racial bad-assery

"Dreary Town" by Nadine Shah (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzg3CPHrwbE) – for some social realist balladeering

"Drum Courts (Where Corals Lie)" by These New Puritans (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAtzrQtNJfU) – for a journey through an electronic cosmic horror

"Let’s Make Love and Listen to Death From Above" by CSS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7agPOt1XZz8) – for some cute indie electro-pop

"Run Christian Run" by Super Furry Animals
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th5A-bQbWQQ) – for folksy atheism

Thanks for listening.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Six, so in the end, Iceage opened your countdown and closed it !

First a few words on your number 1 song. I can relate to what you say about how the song could very well only be #50 any other day, it's really hard to keep a song on a numbered list like that, I feel the same. I really like the voice of the singer, and the moody atmosphere of the song. And the instruments are lively, you can distinctly hear them, which wasn't always the case in your list. It's a really good song.

Now, onto your list as a whole, well, you do like all those post-punk songs for sure, and we were bound to disagree on many things since it's a musical genre so vivid in your musical taste and culture, and just really occasional in mine. You did sometimes fray out of that zone with electro and experimental stuff, and that Kendrick Lamar passion (but I prefer your punk passion). I'm too french in my musical roots to love the same things as you, and I could always easily figure out your mystery rounds because your tastes are readable. That's not a bad thing, I know my taste are quite readable too.

Anyway, despite all that, there's a good chunk of your choices I really really liked. We shared some Radiohead, Interpol, Bowie, Arcade Fire, Sufjan, National, White Stripes, Sigur Ros love, and of course Johnny Cash. In fact, you're probably the one I had the most musicians in common with, so even if we don't necessarily like the same songs, or the same "sides" of those artists, that's still quite a feat. There were also artists I didn't put on my list but probably should have, like Nick Cave, Tom Waits.

I think my favourite song you chose, even if it wasn't a total discovery, was Interpol Hands Away, which I hadn't heard in what feels like a lifetime and was a blast.
Otherwise, you contributed here to make me discover Perfume Genius, which I think is my biggest discovery on the countdown in terms of bands, so thank you for that. I quite liked that FKA Twigs song too, it stuck with me, or Wilco.

Too bad you don't like French music, you could have great taste ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Thoughts on NSpan's Countdown

Two rounds down, and still no crossovers. That is a shame, as again, as with Chien, there was much to enjoy from your countdown. A lot of it was in the outskirts of my own tastes, so a lot of it was new to me, and while at times there were moments when I shrugged at some of your choices, the bold determination to keep surprising kept me interested. Your list had a good mix of psychedelia, indie and rap, but within all of those their core was a groove which was irresistible.

I was always intrigued by your Dan The Automator picks, and while the Pillowfight spin off that formed the foundation of your countdown never quite fully paid off for me, the last couple of songs were definitely the best, your no 1 included.

Other than that, I always welcome a little Clinic, it's been a long time since I'd listened to them last so was great to serve as a reminder. Likewise The Black Angels and Black Mountain for providing a great slice of psych rock. It was also great to hear songs from acts I was familiar with part of their work but not comprehensively, such as XTC, The Rapture and The Moldy Peaches. And in terms of rap Handsome Boy Modeling School were impressive too.

So NSpan, I thank you for your participation and like Chien, providing me with some great variety to your favourite music, with plenty for me to dive into in the coming months.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Thoughts on six's Countdown

Ah, this is where all those crossovers were hiding. Freaking 12 crossovers! Including your number one!! Obviously we share a lot of our taste in music to have quite so many crossovers, and even beyond that many of the artists you featured also featured on my own list just with different favourite individual songs.

Apart from a few of the hip hop tracks which I just couldn't really take much from (though surprisingly I very much enjoyed the Kanye song), pretty much every round of yours was the highlight of my listening, and despite our similar lists, it also provided me with quite a few new finds too. From Lykke Li, M.I.A and FKA Twigs to Tom Waits, Joanna Newsom and HEALTH, your list was an uncompromising and always intriguing list of artists who push the boundaries of genres and gave me plenty to explore.

It also reminded me of artists like Sun Kil Moon, Sigur Ros, Grimes and Fuck Buttons, artists who I had listened to a little of but never fully explored, so that will change.

Anyway, onto your number one. Of course, as it also made my top 50, and I enjoyed your take on the song. Iceage are a band who continue to surprise on each release, at first I thought they were a little too aggressive for me on New Brigade, but something intrigued me and their subsequent releases kept pulling me back as they explored new sounds that made them more accessible for me. Now that debut record is one of my favourites of theirs, though Your Nothing and Plowing are sublime in themselves (and Beyondless was also, while the most traditional rock record to date still very good). Amazing they are still so young but have such an output already, with plenty more in the tank.

So with that can I thank you for taking part, it has been a delight from start to finish, bookending your list with one of my favourite bands of the last decade. Plenty for me still to explore, and I'm sure I will enjoy every moment almost as much as Geezer will as he too retreads through your entire countdown...

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'm a little burned out by this whole process, and life in general, really, so I'll keep this briefer than some others have.

Chien - I already commented on Hurt, so nothing's really changed there. The end result is fine but I had some concerns with how it came to be and whether Johnny Cash was being exploited.

You definitely listen to more world music and softer, mellower, naturalistic music than anyone else in this group, but I'm probably a solid #2 in both categories, so your songs were usually a refreshing change of pace, and, as I mentioned before, you usually started the playlist off with a song that had good production values, so I rarely, if ever, hit skip on one of yours. We had a couple of overlaps, a few that just missed my list (To Build A Home, Grounds For Divorce) and a few like Cat Power I would have considered if I'd had more time.

The best new to me song was The Divine Comedy, and the best I may have heard before but forgot about was Glass, Concrete and Stone.

Nspan – Without actually taking the time to count, I think I added more of your picks to my Spotify playlist for future listens than anyone else. Your #1 also got ADDED, even if I could have done without the scratching. You definitely love songs that blend retro and modern sounds, and so do I, so a lot of your stuff worked for me, even if it didn't get added.

I didn't think we would have any overlaps until The Man Who Murdered Love showed up in your top 10, which was great to see. I've had Just Like Surgery on a Spotify playlist for years thanks to you, so I'll probably explore The Warlocks more, as well as Clinic, Elf Power, and The Black Angels. And since I've heard so much Pillowfight lately, Spotify will be recommending it to me forever, so I may as well add the whole damn thing. ;-)

Six – Your #1 definitely had better production than a lot of your picks, and it started off well but ultimately felt a bit too dark and morose for me, which was a common thread with a lot of your picks. And as I mentioned about Radiohead recently, I feel you approach music rather analytically, whereas I'm always about the visceral, emotional response a song generates.

Still, you helped convince me to check out that Perfume Genius album in full, which I liked very much, Big Thief is also worth exploring more, and it was nice to see Caribou, Foals, and a high ranking overlap with Maps.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

NSpan you loose goose. Pretending the Anais Mitchell thing didn't happen, you list was pretty good. Like most music, new stuff to me to listen to for the first time takes some magic for you to really love it straight out- the Moldy Peaches song had that. Was great to hear Ween again, I always forget about them. And though I didn't comment on the 2nd half, the songs from Spoon, The Rapture and Smashing Pickups were very close to making my list, so bravo on those nice picks! Obviously need to do my Dan the Automator homework, cause he does some good stuff but i didn't find 'the one'

Highlights over the 100 included:

#89 Dan the Automator-It's Over Now
#63 Moldy Peaches-Steak for Chicken
#57 Ween-Gabrielle
#23 Spoon-The Underdog
#20 The Rapture-Get Myself Into It
#14 Silversun Pickups-Lazy Eye

Thanks for being apart of this as well, was great to have you around NSpan!! :D
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Six, the talent scout. Unfortunetly i missed most of the 2nd half so i cant comment there since i don't know almost all of those. And that was a major theme with your songs, not only had i not heard the song before, but i hadn't even heard of the band. This means your love for music is much stronger than mine. But for some reason, your comments always hit the nail on the head in regards to your song- i just wish you (and leestu and surfer) would stop lumping songs into an album- thats not the countdown, but i get it.

So while there was some stuff i call noise- (*cough Nick Cave "cough*) there were 2 new songs that are are now seated firmly in my own top 100: The Rip and Realiti - both unbelievable, i loved them straight away and nobody else here gave me an instant top 100 song, you gave me 2!? Also, i listened to your songs for the first, second, third time than anyone else, so kudos for that.

Your number one song is reflective of your top 100 imo. And i bet it will grow with me over time even more, but for now, just a 6/10.

#82 Grimes, “Realiti” (2015) X!
#77 Portishead, “The Rip” (2008) X!
#64 Hot Chip, “Over and Over” (2006)
#62 Modest Mouse, “Float On” (2004) XO!
#59 Major Lazer, “Get Free” (2013)
#54 Swans, “Oxygen” (2014)
#53 Grimes, “Oblivion” (2012)
#23 Radiohead, “Idioteque” (2000)
#16 Battles, “Atlas” (2007)
#9 Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Maps” (2003)
#8 Animal Collective, “My Girls” (2009) XO!
#7 Radiohead, “Pyramid Song” (2001) XO!

Thanks for being apart of this and congrats on being top of the class in Mystery round!
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale