Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #10-2

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #10-2

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Probably the coolest French act of all time. This is one of their better songs for sure.
Geez: Definitely prefer these guys over a lot of your others, although this was a little bit pedestrian in comparison to the previous one.
John: Very pleasant and indeed I would have assumed it was Fleet Foxes unless instructed otherwise.
Leetsu: Love the fuzzy guitar on this song. One of the highlights of one of their best albums. Nice choice.
NSpan: It's SO retro. There's not a second of this millennium in the song, but I still dug it immensely.
Ron B: They're kinda okay, although since I saw them live I always call them Lame Impala. I need a bit more cunch to my neo-psychadelica.
Screen: Honestly, I'm not surprised. There seems to be a crossover in teens between manufactured pop and corporate metal. Like one is for feelings of naive puppy-dog love and the other is for when you're having a tantrum.
Shryke: It's like if Queen were taking themselves too seriously when making the Flash Gordon soundtrack. Not for me.
Surf: Wonderful indie pop. Made it into my top 106!
Tranny: That was a tough song to get through.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 7 thoughts

Another really enjoyable round.

Chien, Daft Punk - Probably my favourite song from Daft Punk, has a great rhythm to it, I remember thinking these guys were the future of dance music when this came out, and while that isn't totally the case, they have influenced a lot of the music which has followed.

Geezer, Lucero - A little too close to a ballad for me to truly enjoy, but the vocals and guitar save it from falling into MOR. Not my favourite from what you have showcased by a long shot, but can see why it is so popular.

JohnErle, My Morning Jacket - It's nice enough, as anything you would expect from MMJ, but I would always steer new fans towards Z than something like this, I much prefer most of that record over this sound.

Leestu, Thee Oh Sees - That opening combo of I Came From A Mountain and this are unbeatable when it comes to this kind of psych punk, sets up the album fantastically, love this song so much, glad my intro paid off so well.

Nspan, Black Mountain - Bought this album on the back of this song years ago after you posted it then. Still a great does of psychedelia.

Ron, Tame Impala - Didn't realise I knew so many songs from this band, and this is good, has a chilled vibe to it which I very much enjoyed.

Screen, Disturbed - It's kind of ridiculous in an unintentional way I guess. Voice grates, music is too serious and lyrics a little silly, but they have appealed towards the teen angst section for so long I can forgive their appeal.

Shryke, Muse - It's completely over the top, but where Muse are concerned I would always be a little disappointed if they were not. Not my favourite song of the album, Stockholm Syndrome and Butterflies and Hurricanes probably have that honor, but it's a moment in the band' s history that I still enjoy greatly, so nice to hear again.

Six, Radiohead - I remember the press release with this song coming out suggesting this was more Radiohead of old after Kid A, which was very wide of the mark. But it marked another turning point for the band, and this album was very welcome too. This song was sublime when I saw they live a few years ago, too.
On a side note, it seems that Radiohead will probably feature the most on this countdown, but whereas everyone has Float On as Modest Mouse's best song, Radiohead picks are much more diverse. Which is a testament to how good they have been consistently over the new millennium.

Tranny, The Black Dahlia Murder - I keep thinking I will reach a turning point with your picks, but each round is a struggle. This was no different, sorry.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shrykespeare wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 1:36 am
Utterly fantastic round.

Mr. Postman - Here at the Starlite - This guy seriously got his Cobain on for this song. Or his Staley. Anyway, I liked it (the song and the story that went with it). 7/10
Right? I've always said if Kurt Cobain were born in Memphis instead of Washington, he'd have sounded just like Ben Nichols. Makes me wonder if John hates Nirvana too.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Also I'm not surprised in the slightest at the almost universal praise of Lucero from the group, not just because they offer something different from my norm, but because their crowds are always so varied. You have such an eclectic group at a Lucero show and everyone is having a great time because their live show is just amazing. I've never introduced this band to someone who has hated them. Except for John's objection to the vocals, but like I said, ears are weird, sometimes certain notes just hit you the wrong way. They've also brought a lot of different styles to the table over the course of their 10+ albums. I have a pretty clear preference for their early work, but there's definitely some of their newer stuff I enjoy as well. Their only release I don't like much at all is Women and Work, because its a little too far into the country for me.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Leestu wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 12:40 am
The Black Dahlia Murder, A Shrine to Madness - is this two different singers or the same underworld entity?
The same underworld entity. He's real a Swiss Army Knife when it comes to making horrifying sounds.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Surfer - A-Punk - I LOVE this video, and this song. It's funny and poppy, the polar opposite of Radiohead. Which, I guess, is why those two bands' songs are bookending this round's critiques. 8.5/10

Ron B - Feels Like We Only Go Backwards - I really need to check out more of this band's discography. They feel to me like a modern-day Beatles, something Oasis partially succeeded in doing in the 90s. I've only skimmed the surface. Anyone have any recommendations where to start? Should I go chronologically? 7.5/10

Screen - Down With the Sickness - Obviously, I'm a fan of this band, so I can't rag on the song. It's not one of my favorites of theirs, but I won't turn it off when it comes on. 7/10

Chien - Aerodynamic - Wait... Daft Punk are FRENCH??? :lol: JK. This was just okay for me. 6.5/10

JohnErle - The Way That He Sings - Decent. Not spectacular, but decent. 6.5/10

Leestu - Toe Cutter/Thumb Buster - I like the song. Less so the video. Interesting vocals. 6.5/10

Geezer - Nights Like These - I have no problem with his voice, but this song didn't really resonate. 6/10

NSpan - Stormy High - This had its moments, but it felt lacking in...something. Not sure what. (Yeah, I'm the world's worst music critic. I own that.) 6/10

Tranny - A Shrine to Madness - Great guitars. The end. 5.5/10

Six - Pyramid Song - You all love Radiohead so much. I definitely get why they're so well respected - a lot of what they've done was well ahead of its time, and far enough out on the edges to woo both indie and mainstream crowds. One of their songs, "Fake Plastic Trees", made my Top 100 of all time ten years ago. That song, however, is the exception, not the rule. Most of what I hear in them is just too morose, too dirge-ish, too... spleeny? for me to like it. I get that my tastes run pretty far afield, but though while I can appreciate the eccentricities of the music, I"m never going to be an ardent fan of this band, no matter how hard I try. 5.5/10
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Woodkid, I Love You (2010)

I can’t remember when or where I first heard this song. I don’t know if Woodkid is known outside of France, he’s another son of the French touch, younger than the Daft Punk generation. Anyway, I can’t remember when I first heard it, and I can’t remember falling in love right away with this song. I’ve always liked it, but it’s the kind of song that grew on me over time. It’s got a fantastic energy, as you’ll hear, but at the same time, is a very melancholic song. But over time, I’ve learned to appreciate both sides of this song, as a sort of feel-good down song. It’s weird, but it works well.

So here’s the official version of this song, but if you want to hear it, there is a quintet version of this song that is absolutely stunning, just go look for it on Youtube, “I love you woodkid quintet”, it’s just sublime. I list here the official version, but I almost prefer the quintet version.

GEEZER

Green Day, Waiting (2000)

A few things to say about this one. First,it is probably the oldest song on my list. It barely qualifies for inclusion. Second, it shouldn't be the only song from this album on my list. I should have also included Minority, but in compiling, I somehow thought that song was on an older album, and didn't consider it. I only realized my mistake very late in the countdown, well after it would have been featured otherwise and it was just too late. But I digress.

There have been many Green Day songs in my life that I have called my favorite. It just depends on the day, the month, the year. At this point in my life, this is my favorite Green Day song, and I'm not sure I see it changing any time soon. I think it is Billy Joe at the height of his vocal power. The way his voice harmonizes with the guitars. The way the drums kick in the first time. The fact that it is one of the few very positive songs that I hold so dear. The solo at 1:40. The quiet part at 2:17. The way the entire song pauses just a few seconds at 2:37, then explodes back into that chorus. I just fucking love that. It all works so well for me, and is just everything I love about this band who has been among my very small handful of favorites for my entire life. I don't think you'll find a ton of fans you consider this their absolute favorite by the band, but what can I say, I'm one of a kind.

JOHNERLE

Patty Griffin, Long Ride Home (2002)

"Forty years go by with someone laying in your bed
Forty years of things you say you wish you'd never said
How hard would it have been to say some kinder words instead?
I wonder as I stare up at the sky turning red"

Heard at all the finest funerals, and in shitty movies like Elizabethtown. Cameron Crowe had forgotten how to write a movie at that point, but his taste in music remained impeccable.

Also: Rain (live), Love Throw A Line

LEESTU

LCD Soundsystem, All My Friends (2007)

I think this became one of my favourite songs the first time I heard it.

NSPAN

Pillowfight, In the Afternoon (2012)

My final Pillowfight selection. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

RON B

Tame Impala, The Less I Know the Better (2015)

SCREEN203

SHRYKE

Alanis Morissette, Wunderkind (2006)

Ten years ago, I was roundly lambasted for this pick. Am I expecting the same again? We’ll see. I’m fairly certain Screen will love it, as it’s Alanis. Maybe Chien too, since it’s from a movie.

Been a fan of Ms. Morissette for a very long time. Somehow she’s managed to stay consistent thirty years into her career, and for that, I give her tremendous props. She’s written some of the best female songs of her generation, but this song from the first Narnia movie just hits every sweet spot I have. It’s just as listenable now as it was back in ’06 (unlike that song from Titanic, which wasn’t even listenable THEN.)

SIX

Joanna Newsom, Good Intentions Paving Co. (2010)

I’ll risk the backlash by saying that Ms Newsom is probably the finest living songwriter around. This song is just a representative on any of the tracks on her epic triple-album Have One On Me. But once you become attuned to her rather distinct vocal style and her use of harp (absent in this song), you learn to appreciate the brilliant complexity of her folk songs, and the rich turns-of-phrase in her lyrics. In this jaunty song, Newsom uses a road journey as a metaphor for a relationship, and at this moment she’s torn about the troubled bond. The lyrics are witty (“And I regret how I said to you, honey, just open your heart, When I've got trouble even opening a honey jar”) and passionate (“And I do hate to fold right here, at the top of my game, when I've been trying, with my whole heart and soul, to stay right here in the right lane), and the musical arrangement is just perfect.

SURFER

The National, Mr. November (2005)

It wasn't until The National released their third record, Alligator, that Matt Beringer's baritone came into focus for me, but that album which mediates between the American gutter and personal failings was a landmark record for me, and one which found itself upon constant repeat for many a month. And while there are many standouts on the record, from hit single Lit Up to the piano led Karen and the swirling Looking For Astronauts, it is the album closer that I cherish most. A song which deals with chronic under achievement and a great fall from grace, it's interesting that the music comes across with such a rousing sense of defiance. Mr. November is an intense song, one which builds with the drums high in the mix the beating heart of the song, taking every moment to squeeze every last drop of emotion before exploding into life by its climax.

TRANSFORMERS

System of a Down, Deer Dance (2001):

Like Geez, this is also my favorite song from Toxicity. By blending teeth-kicking heaviness, oddity and subtle emotion together in a way only they could, this track about the treatment of protestors by law enforcement at the 2000 Democratic National Convention in LA turns into something really urgent and powerful.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#6 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2a6u8 ... JYBuPHb31g

...or what there is of it anyway. Missing is Pillowfight of course, Patty Griffin, Wunderkind by Alanis Morrissette, and Joanna Newsom - one of the last remaining spotify holdouts. Even Tool, King Crimson, and TISM have succumbed recently.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 11:16 pm

Ron B - Feels Like We Only Go Backwards - I really need to check out more of this band's discography. They feel to me like a modern-day Beatles, something Oasis partially succeeded in doing in the 90s. I've only skimmed the surface. Anyone have any recommendations where to start? Should I go chronologically? 7.5/10
I don't recommend chronologically. For you definitely start with Currents (or the singles from this album, of which Ron's pick today is one of them). It's their most critically acclaimed album and for good reason - it's very pop friendly.
After that try their new one from this year, The Slow Rush - it goes even more synth and less psych then ever before.
If you are up for more try their debut album Innerspeaker - it's their most retro '70s psych rock roots based album.
Then there is the fans favourite (and probably mine), Lonerism - the most Tame Impala album where they get the psych rock/psych pop balance nicely.

Then you have Pond. In Tame Impala, Kevin Parker writes, performs, records, and produces everything. However one of their current members (Jay Watson) and a former member (Nick Allbrook) formed Pond to get their creative juices out, so they would be the next step. Then of course those two both have solo material, Jay Watson has a few albums as GUM, which delves into some quite fascinating electronic psych.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Excellent

The National, Mr. November - right up there with the best The National songs

System of a Down, Deer Dance - fantastic spirited song

The Great

Joanna Newsom, Good Intentions Paving Co. - I think Joanna Newsom is an acquired taste that I haven't quite acquired yet. At this stage I'm liking small doses compared to her albums that feel as long as they are...this song is one I've listened to a bit, I like the way she plays with her vocals, and the jazzy last couple of minutes are excellent

The Very Good

Green Day, Waiting - interesting choice for your favourite Green Day song...it is one of the better songs from the album, part of a great run of three songs to finish the album strongly

Pillowfight, In the Afternoon - first listen...I'm pretty sure I've enjoyed most of these so thanks...this was cool too

The Good

Tame Impala, The Less I Know the Better - good to see some Tame Impala, and it's a decent enough song, just a bit too poppy for me when it comes to Tame Impala

Woodkid, I Love You - first listen...sure I could see why you would love this song, it's very dramatic, and the vocal performance is really strong...I watched the quintet version...I can see it being a bit of grower if you were exposed to it a bit

The Okay

Patty Griffin, Long Ride Home - first listen...not my thing but it seems it would be good for those that are

The Meh

Alanis Morissette, Wunderkind - i found this a bit tedious and was just waiting for it to end really

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Not bad. I was enjoying the electro parts but could have done without the strings in the latter half.
Geez: This is so far from Dookie it sounds like another band. A pop band.
JohnE: It sounded nice, but not quite memorable enough for me.
Leetsu: Excellent choice, sir. What an anthem
NSpan: Finally, the last Pillowfight song :D It's one of the better ones, but just doesn't really grab my attention.
Ron: This is new to me, and actually not bad. Maybe I'm too harsh on Lame Impala. Very 70s vibe to iy.
Shryke: I can't remember what I said last time, but it'll probably be similar. It doesn't even have her trademark snark here. It just sounds bland to me.
Surf: Incredible song. I remember getting Alligator and not thinking it was great, until it hit this song. Now it feels like a transition from their early sound to their Boxer and High Violet style which was their best. Excellent choice.
Tranny: Still not something I'd ever actively listen to, but I appreciate their craziness and the song's sentiment.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Leestu wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 9:48 pm
Benjamin Biolay, Ton Héritage - first listen...this seems to have copped an unfair reaction here, I found this to be quite an interesting piece of music and a little bit more unique than most chanson française I've heard, maybe I respond to the singer/songwriter vibe here (despite not understanding the lyrics which I'm sure would enhance it even more) instead of the normal french pop vibe...I think I've liked his other songs you've posted too
THANK YOU Leestu ;)
You can find a solid translation of the lyrics here : https://lyricstranslate.com/fr/ton-heri ... egacy.html
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Damn I'm late on my appreciations.

Here comes #8

Geezer, Lucero, Here at the Starlite
I can see the appeal, pretty solid soft rock. A bit too long.

John, William Shatner - Common People
What was that ? Too Canadian for me ;)

Leestu, Pond, Giant Tortoise
Not bad. Not sure it will stick with me long.

NSpan, Band of Skulls, Love is All You Love
Same as Leestu, not bad, but something I fear I'll forget quickly.

Ron, Eminem, Without Me
Fun song.

Screen, Alanis Morissette, Precious Illusions
Like I said with Hands clean, probably the last Alanis album I listened to, so it brings back some memories.

Shryke, Alabama 3 (aka A3), Woke Up This Morning
That's a pretty good song but 1997 ! And I was bullied because I picked a song that was released in Iceland in 99 and in France and US in 2000, you're playing with fire man !! ;)

Six, Animal Collective, My Girls
I like that. I'm really not enough familiar with Animal Collective, but you describe that song well.

Surfer, TV On the Radio, Wolf Like Me
Meh, not a fan.

Tranny, The Dillinger Escape Plan-Farewell, Mona Lisa
No surprise here, I tried almost all the way through to no result.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

#6 (cont.)

SCREEN203

Adele, Someone Like You (2011)

Adele's voice truly shines in this. Her voice singlehandedly carries what could have been a generic ballad into a gut punch of a song.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

If I seem even less receptive to your picks than usual, that may be because I just spent a big chunk of time listening to Steve Earle's brand new album, and he's a tough act to follow.

Aerodynamic – Teasing me with an intro that sounds like Hell's Bells then following it with Daft Punk is just cruel. It's not terrible, and I could swear I've heard it before, but they often use sounds that feel too cheesy for me. And Daft Punk cooler than Serge Gainsbourg? I think not.

Lucero – Since you asked, no I don't hate Nirvana, but I always thought they were overrated and haven't listened to them in 25 years, so I'm hardly a fan, but I think Cobain was a much better vocalist than Mr. Lucero. (I just googled his name and learned he was Jeff Nichols' brother! Huh!) Re: this song, I listened to the studio recording on Spotify and I did like this one more than usual. He seems to be singing in a lower register and sounds more restrained than usual, or maybe he's just buried deeper in the mix than on other songs. ADDED.

Thee Oh Sees – I remembered enough about this one to know I wasn't going to click on that disturbing video. There's a bit of QOTSA in the guitars, but I like this way more than most of their stuff. The bass line is simple but effective. Good stuff.

Black Mountain – I have this album but this track never really stood out. It's good, but not their best IMHO.

Tame Impala – One of the most horribly over-compressed albums I've ever suffered though! It's impossible for me to judge the band but the production is inexcusable.

Muse – Under normal circumstances I'd probably say it was over-compressed, but after 30 seconds of Tame Impala it was a welcome relief. Their style is sometimes interesting, though.

Radiohead – My ears are still bleeding from Tame Impala, so the hint of open spaces here were welcome. It's hardly a favourite, but it's okay Radiohead.

A-Punk – A-Classic.

The Black Dahlia Murder – I glad you finally decided to jump in with comments. That might give us something else to talk about other than me not liking rap or shouty demons. I liked the cello in the intro, but then, you know, demons. Shouty ones.

Woodkid – It's a catchy piece of music, but the singer was a bit bland, and the lyrics I caught seemed pretty generic.

Waiting – I don't think I've ever heard this before, and I would have assumed it was a deep cut not a single if you hadn't posted that video. It didn't do much for me. Just Green Day being Green Day.

All My Friends – Classic. Not my fave from them, or even from that album, but it's still a classic. That's how many classics they delivered.

Pillowfight – Tell the truth. You're really Dan The Automator, right? I liked the Hooverphonic vibe of this one. ADDED.

Tame Impala – Not as brutally loud as that other Tame Impala, but still way, way, way too compressed for me. I still have no idea if this band is any good but the production is fucking awful.

Alanis – I actually love this movie, but don't remember this song at all. It sounds like a generic end credit ballad to me, so I assume I walked out of the theatre as soon as it started and hit mute every time I watched it at home.

Adele – See previous comments.

Joanna Newsom – My first thought was “Dear sweet merciful Jesus! Not Joanna Newsom! Is this payback for all the times I dissed Nick Cave?” I gave it a listen for the sake of camaraderie and because there was a chance she'd changed her sound since I first heard that ludicrous harp album with the Renaissance Faire cover art. This was much different from what I expected, and the voice wasn't as nails on a chalkboard as I remembered. It reminded me a bit of Anais Mitchell, and you've forfeited the right to call Sparks too theatrical after posting this. I would have ADDED it if it was on Spotify.

The National – The stuff I'm familiar with usually all sounds the same, but this is a slightly different approach for them. I liked the quieter bits best, but it's worth revisiting. ADDED.

System Of A Down – I think the biggest surprise of the countdown for me is that I've grown to respect and even sorta, kinda, maybe like System Of A Down. I must have written them off at the time because I had grown tired of what I was hearing come out of modern rock radio and was already immersing myself in Americana and Britpop and other things that seemed more age-appropriate. I can't remember the last time I listened to Soundgarden or Everclear, both bands I was obsessed with in the 90s, so I doubt this will be a regular feature on my playlists, but it's pretty good stuff.