Cord Cutting Advice

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Cord Cutting Advice

Post by numbersix »

That lineup is not for me. Mostly family films and MCU and Star Wars.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm convinced they're saving the adult titles for Hulu, considering that's where all of the Disney Signature (previously ABC Signature) projects are going. Also, Hulu still has the Neon library and recently got the Bleecker Street library away from Amazon Prime (not sure if their second run deal with Starz remains).

Speaking of the bundle subscriptions, I've got an offer through Disney Movie Club to get one of those sweetheart packages. However, I don't think I'd use it for more than a month. Three years is too much for me, even at $170.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

It's Disney Plus Day if anyone didn't know. Verizon was giving out a free year if you have one of their Unlimited plan or Fios internet.

Apple TV is giving out a free year with purchase of iPad, iPhone, computer, or Apple TV. So this Christmas time you can volunteer to set up your friend's device.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Seems like a lot of people aren't happy with the Star Wars cuts they provided. And Nicole and Lady and the Tramp are both getting mixed reviews.

As for the shows, the Jeff Goldblum and Forky shows are getting the best reviews while everything else is positive to mixed.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'm not sure where else to put this, but I saw today that the Criterion Channel just added a film I love that a lot of you probably haven't seen: Big Night. I know a few of you have signed up, so check it out if you get a chance. It's a beautiful, funny, and hard to find film about brotherhood, the immigrant experience, and it wrestles with the question of whether an artist should compromise his work to give an indifferent audience what they want. If this means it's coming out on Blu-Ray soon I might have to break a promise to myself about never paying full price for a Criterion disc again.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I've been convinced that Criterion's been planning Big Night for the Collection for a while now, especially with Paramount licensing titles again.

Of course, it would be hard to convince some of the hardcore Criterion people on the Internet who just want violent movies (I swear the Reddit Criterion page just wants Come and See and The House That Jack Built and will downvote anyone that states otherwise) included.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:I'm not sure where else to put this, but I saw today that the Criterion Channel just added a film I love that a lot of you probably haven't seen: Big Night. I know a few of you have signed up, so check it out if you get a chance. It's a beautiful, funny, and hard to find film about brotherhood, the immigrant experience, and it wrestles with the question of whether an artist should compromise his work to give an indifferent audience what they want. If this means it's coming out on Blu-Ray soon I might have to break a promise to myself about never paying full price for a Criterion disc again.
You forgot to mention is has a giant meat pie thing that will make you drool. Don't watch it hungry.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Keep in mind that they had to undercook the food so that it would look good on camera, Six. Pasta does not photograph well fully cooked.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Well I finally pulled the trigger. I waited until I got a new TV on a Black Friday sale. I signed up for YouTube TV and it's pretty great so far. The sports selection is pretty awesome. The only channel I watched that it doesn't have is the History channel, but I downloaded the app for it. Also my wife watches Lifetime so we downloaded that app too. I already have Amazon Prime and Neflix, plus I used my sister in laws login for Disney +, so I think I'm all set. My wife wanted to wait a week before we cancel cable just to make sure, but after 2 days I'm already convinced. And I'm wondering...what the fuck took me so long?!?!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yeah, Youtube TV is great. I talked my father in law into it a few weeks ago and piggyback off his. I doubt he'll keep it because he doesn't want to learn how to use it though. What's great about it is you can have three streams at a time so you can share/split it with others. The unlimited DVR is great as well. It'll totally replace my Hulu and CBS. I got a pro tip on premium channels... eBay. I bought a login to HBO ($9/year), Shotime ($6/year), NBA League Pass ($25/season), NFL Sunday Ticket ($30/season), Epix ($6/year), and Scribd ($2.50/year). All are still working 2-3 months in and you have a six month window to file a Paypal claim.

As for History Channel, Hulu live tv has it but they're raising their price soon.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

The only bad thing about YouTube TV is in order to share with people, you have to give them your gmail login. Instead of just a generic YouTube TV login...some aren't too keen to hand that out. Especially if it's connected to work stuff.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:The only bad thing about YouTube TV is in order to share with people, you have to give them your gmail login. Instead of just a generic YouTube TV login...some aren't too keen to hand that out. Especially if it's connected to work stuff.
I believe you're missing out on a lot. Sent you a PM.