Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by Screen203 »

AD Astra

Ambitious but flawed. Despite the premise recalling some of Alex Garland's work (most notably Sunshine, with the opening shot of the sun as well as the the exploration scenes, notably when Roy boards the Lima Project towards the end, as well as the much-discussed scene with the primate in particular - the basic premise also brings to mind Annihilation (am I the only one who thinks the name for the Surge was inspired by the Shimmer?), the film doesn't incorporate the big ideas it tries to examine into the plot as well as Garland does, leaving the themes of the film quite vague. Contrary to what Buscemi suggested, I didn't think that the emotional payoff of the film worked at allRoy abruptly reconciling with his ex at the very end didn't make much sense (I get that he completed his mission, but he says something along the lines of "is there any point in living" right after essentially euthanizing his father who turned out to be a self-absorbed asshole - IMO - and I wouldn't think that he would want another person he will lose in his life, considering he almost sacrificed his sanity to find his father - which was his whole purpose in life). The cinematography and special effects are stunning, and they along with the score create an absorbing atmosphere (the opening scene is one of the most intense in recent memory). Brad Pitt is good in his role, but I don't get the Oscar buzz around his performance (he was much better in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood than this), and the other actors have very little to chew on. The narration was also little overdone (it was reminiscent of The Tree Of Life at times - I felt like this had more substance than Tree Of Life did, even though some of the issues I have with both films are similar). Overall, I was let down, but I think the ambition behind the film could have been a masterpiece with better execution.

6 out of 10
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Rambo: Last Blood 3/10

Basically, it's a Taken sequel with Stallone that gradually turns into a slasher film in the last half-hour. The film lacks energy and is as pedestrian as can be, with and other characters simply finding themselves in situations without really having much of a major purpose. The characters aren't well-developed and some, such as Paz Vega's character, feel like they are in a completely different movie. The best part of the film is the recap of the first four films during the end credits. It made me wish I was watching those installments instead.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Honeyland 8/10

Fascinating if a bit overpraised documentary about a Turkish-Macedonian beekeeper and her traditional ways being threatened by a Turkish family that sets up shop in her village and uses newer techniques that infiltrate her way of living. There isn't much of a plotline but it is a timely film due to the declining bee population and I have a feeling this why the film got so much attention at Sundance. It is an eye-opening film however and shows a lot about a country we don't know much about and it's a different take on the environmental documentary. Rather than being about statistics, it's about people.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Death of Dick Long 2/10

A one joke premise where cheap white trash panic after the death of their friend and begin the process to cover it up before the reality comes out. What starts out as a stupid dark comedy with unlikeable characters gradually turns into an Americanized retread of the Black Mirror pilot. I can't figure out how this film got praise other than A24 put it out. There is almost nothing to care about this redneck adventure where you just want Douchebro and Vaping Nu-Metal Fan to have the same fate as the titular character.

And to put the icing on the shit cake, the film ends with a Nickelback song. I'm not sure if the director was trolling the audience with the end product.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

IT 2 was good, although they definitely could have cut some of the (3 hours!) filler scares and flashbacks. The high point of the film is probably its relevance as a extended metaphor for PTSD, which I feel hasn't been examined in most critic circles. Bill Hader is as good as you've heard/likely seen, but I've always thought that Bill Skarsgard was weak as Pennywise, and this movie didn't do much to change that.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I caught a couple of underwhelming festival films this weekend:

Koko-Di, Koko-Da

Life goes on, brah. La la, how the life goes on. A grieving, bickering couple goes camping in the woods and are repeatedly murdered, Groundhog Day style, by some Fellini-esque psychos who are more silly than menacing. The whole thing feels like it was inspired by some European folk tale I had no prior knowledge of, but strong performances and some interesting animated interludes helped, as did the shades of Force Majeure. During the first attack the husband is too terrified to do anything, but after each attack he wakes up with clearer knowledge of what's about to happen and tries various ways to save his family. (6/10)

Little Joe

The worst scientist ever breeds a plant that emits a scent designed to trigger happiness in the human brain, and everything that could possibly go wrong predictably does. Nice production design and performances, but it's not enough to salvage such a generic script. (6/10)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I've seen Koko-di Koko-da at a festival last month, quite underwhelming. The concept is interesting and the animation parts are good, but beyond that, it lacks thrills and character development is a bit messy.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Did those villains seem at all familiar to you? I did a bit of googling and can't figure out if they were based on some old folklore or entirely original. Watching the movie I felt like an alien sitting down to watch a vampire movie without having the slightest clue what a vampire was or what the rules of the game are.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

The director presented the screening I attended, and he explained it was based on a swedish folk tale, so you probably have to be swedish to know about it.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

John's been eating too many meatballs

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Maybe he's just ready for the summertime.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Thanks, Chien. That was my last niggling question about that movie, and now I can never think of it again. Although it does raise some interesting questions about how different cultures have their own distinctive folklore (Jewish golems, for example) and how they sometimes don't translate into other cultures.

Six, I've eaten too much of many different things in my life, but Swedish meatballs aren't one of them.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote: Six, I've eaten too much of many different things in my life, but Swedish meatballs aren't one of them.

Get thee to an IKEA!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:
JohnErle wrote: Six, I've eaten too much of many different things in my life, but Swedish meatballs aren't one of them.
Get thee to an IKEA!
Do they make you assemble your own food?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And they lose ingredients you have to order again.