The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

I imagine Fox will run as its own label for the time being (at least one film, Taika Waititi's Jojo Rabbit, is set to be released by Fox Searchlight after the merger is complete) before further action is done.

I figure it will less Touchstone and more how Summit continues to operate as a separate entity even after merging with Lionsgate. It will take a massive bomb to kill Fox (Old Dogs basically killed Touchstone even though it was released under the Disney banner).

And on a non-Marvel note, am I the only one who sees Chrissy Metz as a one-hit wonder? I really can't see her career going anywhere once This is Us ends.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

undeadmonkey wrote:These moves don't really make any sense, just seems to be a stalling tactic
I can't speak for most of the moves, but Dark Phoenix reportedly got delayed due to the inability to gather the cast for minor reshoots until August while New Mutants got moved to extensive reshoots (at least half of the film) that includes the addition of new characters.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Sansa is busy in the north?

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I would guess that GoT's filming schedule heavily factored into that August start date. Hell, Jennifer Lawrence is probably the only major member of that ensemble that doesn't currently have something that's currently or about to start filming.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New date:

First Reformed 5/18/2018 (from 6/22/2018)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Netflix is looking to buy EuropaCorp from Luc Besson, more than likely canceling any current agreements Besson made in the past with other companies if successful (STX, Lionsgate, NBC, etc.).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

How to Talk to Girls at Parties 5/18/2018 (looks to be day-and-date)
A.X.L. (family-friendly sci-fi film) 8/10/2018
Playmobil 4/19/2019 (from 1/18/2019)

Meanwhile, Yellow Submarine will be reissued for its 50th anniversary on 7/8/2018. Not sure if this will be like a Fathom Events screening or it will be like A Hard Day's Night a few years back and play in 100 theatres or so for a week.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Chaos Walking and A Star is Born are both rumored to be going through a series of reshoots. You think they could have ignored this problem by hiring better directors on these two (we could have gotten the former as a Robert Zemeckis film scripted by Charlie Kaufman instead of the film Lionsgate ended up making).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

Killing Pablo 6/15/2018 (Universal is actually releasing this critically-panned drama wide)
Anna and the Apocalypse (MGM's hope for this year's Greatest Showman) 12/7/2018 limited, 12/25/2018 wide
Greyhound (Tom Hanks war film) 4/5/2019
Grudge (because someone at Sony thought we needed another one of these) 8/16/2019
Terminator 11/22/2019 (from 7/26/2019)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I found out there are plans to reissue 2001: A Space Odyssey on 5/18/2018 with new 70mm prints. Not sure if this will be limited to the few theatres equipped to run 70mm or if new DCP's will be commissioned as well (the current ones have been criticized for being letterboxed in a 1.85 frame).

Meanwhile, The Tale will premiere on HBO May 26th. This should do well at the Emmys next year (the stupid rule that prevents limited theatrical runs before television premieres but somehow exempts Netflix would have prevented any chance of an Oscar nomination for Laura Dern even if HBO did a qualifying run).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Focus will open Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman on 8/10/2018. Though listed as limited, I wouldn't be surprised to see it open wide right away.

A few more dates:
Hotel Artemis 6/8/2018
Damsel 6/22/2018
Alpha 8/17/2018 (from 9/14/2018)
White Boy Rick 9/14/2018 limited, 9/21/2018 wide (from 8/17/2018)
Lizzie 9/14/2018

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New Neon dates:

Three Identical Strangers 6/29/2018 (looks like it will be on the main label after all)
Assassination Nation 9/21/2018 (the negative reviews seemingly has led Neon to rethink the distribution strategy, as it will open limited)

And Vertical has been revealed to be the new distributor for Gotti. The June 15th release will be wide.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New date:

Mary, Queen of Scots 12/7/2018 (from 11/2/2018) (Focus must expect it to be this year's Darkest Hour)

And Amusement Park is now titled Wonder Park, most likely to shed the negative reputation the production has developed from the previous director's misdeeds (and probably because Wonder Woman and Wonder were so popular).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Universal will open Across the Universe 2, err, I mean All You Need is Love on 9/13/2019. Filming will begin early enough that Danny Boyle can move onto the next Bond film after (Richard Curtis, the film's screenwriter, will likely handle post-production for Boyle).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Remember Delirium, that movie Focus and Blumhouse were going to release together a few years back only to pull it from the schedule multiple times? It's going straight-to-DVD in June with a few other long-delayed Blumhouse titles.

Speaking of Blumhouse, Universal has scheduled The Hunt, a new film from Homestar Runner co-creator Craig Zobel and co-written by Damon Lindelof, for a 9/27/2019 date.