Look! An Undead Movie Column...: New Releases of 3/30/18

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Look! An Undead Movie Column...: New Releases of 3/30/18

Post by undeadmonkey »

...In which we contemplate downloading our minds into the matrix to play 80's video games, so that we don't have to live in a world where Trump exists

(and also in which undeadmonkey will try a new format to the weekly column, I will break it up into sections and post over the week, let me know what you think)

And as all monarchy's must come to an end eventually, King T'Challa was dethroned by a storm trooper and some other people in robots. Pacific Rim Uprising opens with $28M, $10M less than the original, but we all know this sequel wasn't made for North America and internationally it opened to double what the original made. So who knows, we could very well see a trilogy about people in robots beating the shit out of aliens, depending on how it holds in the rest of the world.

As mentioned, Black Panther now sits at #2, but it's all sunshine and roses in Wakanda. After this weekends grosses, Black Panther is now the highest grossing superhero movie ever. Sitting at #5 on the all time list, with only $20M to go to beat out Jurassic World for #4 spot and $30M to pass Titanic for the bronze medal. Can he do it? i say there's a very good chance, after all the records he has broken so far, who would bet against the King.

In 3rd, I Can Only Imagine, down a measly 20% from opening weekend, that's a better hold than any of Black Panthers drops. Whoever had this on their slate, congrats, it's a steal. Am i the only one that can never get these christian releases right? I thought they would all eat up the movie with Jim Caviezel of The Passion fame, but i guess the christians don't like their actors playing two different biblical character. Paul The Apostle opened all the way down in 8th with $5M. (i thought this was opening on Wednesday, when did it move)

Sherlock Gnomes opened in 4th with $10M, again proving families wont just go watch any animated film, even if it's the only one that's been out since November. (edit: oops, forgot about Ferdinand)

The 2 other new releases battled for 10th place with Midnight Sun beating out Unsane. Very few people wanted to watch a movie made on an iphone or about a realistic vampire.

Lastly Isle of Dogs opened with a terrific PTA and if it doesn't expand to fast, should be good for several more PTA points.

Quote #1:
"well, where does he think he's going?"
"when you gotta go, you gotta go!"

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Look! An Undead Movie Column...: New Releases of 3/30/18

Post by Buscemi2 »

First quote's from Jurassic Park.

And did they ever announce Unsane's budget? Because I have to wonder how much money Soderbergh lost on this one (lesson learned: don't sell your international or post-theatrical rights, because that's where the money is). Surprised he hasn't announced that he's broke yet (Logan Lucky lost him millions). (Edit: turns out it cost $1.5 million, he must have spent it all on the cast)

Meanwhile, watch Thorne's future films all go to Netflix. Because that's where her audience (creepy conservative males) watches her movies.

Also, I'll be surprised if we get Transformers with Mecha 3. Warcraft was apparently a hit depending on who you ask (despite the fact Universal lost millions on it, the film's few fans refuse to admit defeat) but we'll never get a sequel to that hot garbage (why are will still adapting video games anyway?).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Where's the rest of the column?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think we'll get Part 2 later tonight.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Yes sir, you are right. My plan is to do Recap on Monday, Film Release today and Final Weekend outlook on Thursday.

if people don't like it, let me know and i'll go back to the regular way, but I feel like more might get covered this way.

First up, Ready Player One (WarnerBros)

Film Potential
Usually, there are only two reasons that a film moves from a Friday release to a Thursday in North America. It's looking to boost it's opening weekend numbers so that the headlines aren't as embarrassing or it's a holiday weekend. Unfortunately and fortunately for WB and Mr. Spielberg, It's looking like both apply to Ready Player One. With very little buzz and a budget upwards of $150M, the outlook isn't too rosy for Ready Player One. There was a time about a decade ago and before that when Spielberg's name was attached to a film, it would equal high-end Box office potential but in 2008 there was a little movie called The Crystal Skull and it seems like the general public still hasn't forgiven him. The only saving grace is that Spielberg's films usually have fantastic holds, but unfortunately i don't think that'll matter much for our game

Game Potential
A month ago, I would have considered RPO one of the better anchors on the game, it being priced decently and not much competition around (but since Disney seems to have it out for this film, First moving the Last Jedi into it's spot and then throwing Avengers into play where it doesn't belong.) I would say it's not worth the price. Better to go for some smaller fillers and save your money for Avengers.

Storyline
Ready Player One is based on Ernest Cline’s bestseller of the same name, which has become a worldwide phenomenon. The film is set in 2045, with the world on the brink of chaos and collapse. But the people have found salvation in the OASIS, an expansive virtual reality universe created by the brilliant and eccentric James Halliday (Mark Rylance). When Halliday dies, he leaves his immense fortune to the first person to find a digital Easter egg he has hidden somewhere in the OASIS, sparking a contest that grips the entire world. When an unlikely young hero named Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) decides to join the contest, he is hurled into a breakneck, reality-bending treasure hunt through a fantastical universe of mystery.

Crew
Spielberg directed the film from a screenplay by Zak Penn and Ernest Cline. The film was produced by Donald De Line, Spielberg, Kristie Macosko Krieger and Dan Farah; with Adam Somner, Daniel Lupi, Chris DeFaria and Bruce Berman serving as executive producers. “Ready Player One” stars Tye Sheridan (“X-Men: Apocalypse,” “Mud”), Olivia Cooke (“Me and Earl and the Dying Girl,” “Bates Motel”), Ben Mendelsohn (“Rogue One – A Star Wars Story,” “Bloodline”) and T.J. Miller (“Deadpool,” “Silicon Valley”), with Simon Pegg (the “Star Trek” movies, the “Mission: Impossible” movies) and Oscar winner Mark Rylance (“Bridge of Spies,” upcoming “Dunkirk”). Behind the scenes, three-time Oscar winner Spielberg (“Schindler’s List,” “Saving Private Ryan”) reunited his creative team from “Bridge of Spies,” including Oscar-winning director of photography Janusz Kaminski (“Schindler’s List,” “Saving Private Ryan”), Oscar-winning production designer Adam Stockhausen (“The Grand Budapest Hotel”), Oscar-winning editor Michael Kahn (“Saving Private Ryan,” “Raiders of the Lost Ark”) and Sarah Broshar (“The Post”), and costume designer Kasia Walicka-Maimone (“Moonrise Kingdom”). The music is by Oscar-nominated composer Alan Silvestri (the “Back to the Future” films, “Forrest Gump”).

I’ll predict a $42M (4-day) OW and $140M overall.

Quote 2: Get your sick-sticks ready.

Yes the first quote is Jurassic Park

Up Next is Madea Get's Revenge ;)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Acrimony (Lionsgate)

Film Potential
(Am i the only one who thinks this could be a Madea prequel?) Taraji Henson headlined a film in January with less than stellar results and it looks like Acrimony won't fare much better. Reviews seem to be embargoed as i can't find any, anywhere. While looking, I realized that Tyler Perry doesn't have a great track record with Rotten Tomatoes. Anybody know which of his films has the highest score? Madea goes to Jail with a 28%. Which doesn't bode well for Acrimony.

Game Potential
Not much at all. Unless you have some money left over for the last week in the January league I wouldn't take it in any slates. It might get one, two max, Top5 points, with not much else in the other categories.

Storyline
A faithful wife (Taraji P. Henson) tired of standing by her devious husband (Lyriq Bent) is enraged when it becomes clear she has been betrayed. (I couldn't find a longer synopsis, I guess they are trying to keep some secrets)

Crew
Tyler Perry's Acrimony is an upcoming American psychological thriller film produced, written, and directed by Tyler Perry. The film stars Taraji P. Henson, Lyriq Bent, Jazmyn Simon, and Crystle Stewart

I’ll predict a $10M (3-day) OW and $25M overall.

Quote 3: He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

God's Not Dead 3 (PureFlix)

Film Potential
Who would have believed God's not dead would be a trilogy, Not me. There must be a big enough niche out there somewhere to support these films, otherwise, they wouldn't still be making them. However, it definitely has a ceiling and for most that ceiling consists of decent acting and production values above a student film.

Game Potential
I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole, but then again, i would have thought the same about I Can Only Imagine. You won't (most likely) get anything out of it besides a few measly millions and terrible IMDb score.

Storyline
The Rev. Dave Hill (David A.R. White) faces an unexpected setback when his beloved church burns down -- prompting the officials at the adjoining university to try and kick his congregation off campus. Battle lines are quickly drawn between the church and the community as the reverend now finds himself at odds with his longtime friend -- the president of the school. Facing a legal battle, Hill soon seeks help from his estranged brother -- a big-city lawyer and atheist -- in a fight to help rebuild the church.

Crew
(not that i know any of these people) Directed by Michael Mason. It stars David A. R. White, John Corbett, Shane Harper, Benjamin Onyango, Ted McGinley, Jennifer Taylor, Tatum O'Neal, Shwayze, and Cissy Houston.

I’ll predict a $5M (3-day) OW and $11M overall.

Quote 3: $3,000 buys an awful lot of roast.

Up next we have one small limited release to cover

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Last but not least we have one limited release to cover

Finding your Feet (Roadside)

Film Potential
Oh look, It's Umbridge and Wormtail in a movie together, talking about being old and stuff. I didn't think they survived the Deathly Hallows.

Game Potential
No Theater numbers have been released yet, but due to it's 'pettigrew' it's probably too many to provide any PTA points and too few to make a dent in Box Office.

Storyline
When 'Lady' Sandra Abbott (Academy Award nominee Imelda Staunton, Maleficent, Vera Drake) discovers that her husband of forty years (John Sessions) is having an affair with her best friend (Josie Lawrence) she seeks refuge in London with her estranged, older sister Bif (Celia Imrie, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Bridget Jones' Baby). The two could not be more different - Sandra is a fish out of water next to her outspoken, serial dating, free-spirited sibling. But different is just what Sandra needs at the moment, and she reluctantly lets Bif drag her along to a community dance class, where gradually she starts finding her feet and romance as she meets her sister's friends, Charlie (Timothy Spall), Jackie (Joanna Lumley) and Ted (David Hayman).

I’ll predict a nothing, it does have a semi-decent IMDb score of 6.6, so if you got a slot left and money to spare, it's at least something

Quote 4: Ketchup. Mustard. Thousand Island Dressing. Vinaigrette. This is good, Robbie. I told you to pack *food*. What the hell is this?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

From what I've read, Finding Your Feet is supposed to open semi-wide. Reviews haven't been strong but Lionsgate seems to be convinced they have a small hit with it. The star power should help.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I think the new format is good albeit would be better for a big weekend, with 3-5 blockbusters. You're setting the bar too high for me thats for sure ;)

So it sounds like RPO is going to be a disappointment, which is annoying mainly cause i am looking forward to seeing this in cinema in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed its still a good movie. As for the box office potential, i think you're about right, it seems that the horror movies of April are getting more buzz

no ideas on the quote, ive never been good at them apart from the obvious one's like "Here's Johnny!" or "Great scott!" or "You're tearing me apart Lisa!"
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

I'm usually pretty good on quotes, but you've got me stumped on the rest.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I usually pick a theme with the quotes that correlates with one of the weekends releases.

I've often done just characters of a single actor, but since there weren't any well known actors this week i chose director.

They're all from Spielberg films, maybe that'll help.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

80's Nostalgia: The Movie was pre-selling well here tonight (way better than Blade Runner did). But this kind of vocal "you've got to see/play/read this!" product just plays well here (the screening of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai I attended tonight managed to sell out).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

finding Your Feet has been doing amazing business in certain territories - OZ, NZ, and the UK in particular. Wonder if that will translate to a surprise PTA success here.

#2 is Minority report

#4 is War of the Worlds

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm thinking it will despite Lionsgate's financial issues. Movies aimed towards older audiences play well as long as they are marketed well and there is that Harry Potter connection.

Edit: looks like Lionsgate scaled back on those semi-wide plans. Finding Your Feet will open in 14 theatres this weekend.