Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by numbersix »

Mute: Avoid/10
Oh dear, what a colossal disaster. Duncan Jones has some ability, but his writing skills are like an adolescent teenagers, full of derivitive ideas and weird dialogue and stock characters. I do appreciate what he was trying to do with the villain character (make him more rounded and real), but he forgot to do the same for the actual main character, a mute man searching for his missing girlfriend in a futuristic Berlin. Acting is awful, story is dull and rambling. Not even the cameo from Sam Rockwell is enough to make this watchable.

With this and Cloverfield Paradox, Netflix are proving to be the saviours of shit sci-fi. Hope Annihilation will buck this trend.

The Ritual: 6/10
Decent folk horror film about a bunch of friends lost on a forest. So far so predictable, but there's enough interesting character stuff and weird mythology to make it very engaging. The reveal at the end is a little poor, but still a decent stab at a horror.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Annihilation 6/10

I was expecting the "monsters" that were heavily featured in the trailer, and assumed this was the gist of the movie. It wasn't. This was a very cerebral movie. It was beautifully shot and the effects were wonderful, but it was just ... bizarre. In the end, I'm not sure exactly happened. Maybe others will get more out of it. Me... meh.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I wish sci-fi films would be tongue-in-cheek again. I don't get why they all have to be so ultra-serious.

Anyway...

Winchester 2/10

So according to this film, the 1906 San Francisco earthquake was caused by the spirit of a redneck losing his family in the Civil War to superior weaponry. This boring and poorly-acted ghost film only gets a 2 from me based on the strength of Helen Mirren's performance. Even when she's slumming it, she's still quite good. Otherwise, the film is full of cliches and doesn't say much of anything for most of its run time (I also had a hard time trying to figure out how a drug-addled medium could make so much money that he could buy three hookers for a night).

The Winchester Mystery House deserves a good filmed product (preferably a documentary). This isn't it.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:Mute: Avoid/10
Shame. but anyway, the film isn't playing in any theater near me, and I heard it is only available on some sort of streaming service you have to be a subscriber for to watch, or something like that, so I won't be seeing it anyway. Same goes for Annihilation, unfortunately. Dammit.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Hostiles 3/10

A cast full of familiar faces (the standout being Wes Studi) and some beautiful cinematography can't disguise what this film based on an unpublished novel really is: one that's trying way too hard to be Dances with Wolves. After a strong hook with an opening slaughter (they show children getting killed!), the film devolves into your typical "white people understanding how others act but not actually learning anything" film. Christian Bale tries way too hard to be like Daniel Day-Lewis again, Rosamund Pike's character is kind of unnecessary, and Scott Cooper's direction is rather bland. The film is also too long at 135 minutes.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that this failed to garner any awards attention. What is surprising is that it's been rather successful (thanks to a decent marketing campaign) despite being quite forgettable.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Post 3/10

Spielberg desperately wants to make the thrilling prequel to All the President's Men but ends up making Spotlight 2 instead. Despite running close to two hours, this talky and self-serving film about the Washington Post and its role in the Pentagon Papers could have easily been a 90 minute movie for HBO. In addition, it's far too nice to both the media and Richard Nixon. The film wastes a decent cast (though I think they could have cast someone other than Alison "I Defended a Sexual Harasser" Brie as Streep's daughter) and Spielberg isn't the right director to handle the subject matter (imagine what The Coen Brothers or Oliver Stone could have done with this story).

I can't really find any positives other than it could have been much worse.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Death Wish 2/10

What was the point in remaking this? Eli Roth's alt-right fantasy film only seems to say "violence towards others is rewarding and self-satisfying". While the original film fits in with the era it was made (New York in the 70's was a very violent time), this update only seems to confirm the media's belief that the cities are filled with violence and that law enforcement needs to be even more weaponized. The decision to show off how-tos on gun cleaning and making weapons via split-screen as well as an extended cameo by controversial shock jock Mancow Muller only confirms Roth's extremist views. The film offers no redeeming values plotwise.

However, some of the cast was decent and it's not a Purge movie so it gets a 2 from me.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi2 wrote:Death Wish...
I seriously don't get why people are calling this film alt-right. Every time something has even slight right undertones people go full-blown Nazi/bigot. Every time something is slightly left people go snowflake/libtard. I know, because I'm called both because of my beliefs. This isn't a great movie and I'm not convinced it's even a good movie, but all this particular kind of hate shows how society has become an echo chamber that takes the smallest detail and magnifies it 1000% until their base is outraged.

This is a straight revenge/vigilante film akin to The Punisher, The Equalizer, Walking Tall, and a little Batman thrown in. The use of alt-right has connotations of racism and bigotry and I don't believe either are a factor here. Bruce Willis' character isn't randomly targeting civilians or minorities, he's trying to get justice for himself and others after seeing he may not get it from the legitimate authorities.

You conveniently left out the opposing view of the "shock jock" (I am not familiar with Miller). There's another morning show host (ex-MTV VJ, Sway) that shows the opposing viewpoint, that there's no room for vigilantism, literally at the same "extended cameo." This is akin to someone having a devil and angel on their shoulder and only commenting on the devil. There are a couple other scenes that show this viewpoint, but it definitely could have been more pronounced.

It is set in Chicago because the violence in the city is newsworthy. In the past two years over 1,400 people were murdered in the city, which is 1 of every 1900 residents in the two year span. I would say that makes right now in Chicago "a very violent time."

In closing, here are some quotes from critics on the original 1974 film since it "fits with the era":
"It's a despicable movie, one that raises complex questions in order to offer bigoted, frivolous, oversimplified answers."
"Nixonite gorge-riser"
"Somewhat enjoyable right-wing revenge flick."
"It's propaganda for private gun ownership and a call to vigilante justice."
"..."Death Wish," a bird-brained movie to cheer the hearts of the far-right wing."
"Death Wish is one of the most politically odious films ever made, a movie that happily espouses a fascist, anti-poor message."
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

For one, Eli Roth directed it. The guy's viewpoints are quite conservative (see the Hostel films and The Green Inferno) and in all of his films, he seems to enjoy showing off the worst in people while telling us to enjoy it.

Second, while the original at least questions whether or not the actions of vigilantism are needed (the sequels however are full-blown B-movies), the remake never does. But of course, irony was never a strong suit for either Michael Winner (the original's director) or Eli Roth.

Third, there's the audience I saw the film with. It looked like the kind of crowd that was disappointed Duck Dynasty got canceled.

Also, I'd say Death Sentence is a far better update of Death Wish. It's better directed and it retains a lot of Brian Garfield's original message of the effects of violence on ordinary people.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Conservative and alt-right are two different things. I'm fairly certain Eli Roth isn't in league with people that are anti-Semitic. This movie is fairly conservative.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Gringo 2/10

This film does not work at all. Despite a stellar cast, the problems lay mainly in an incomprehensible and overlong script, too much focus on a pair of unlikeable bosses (one of them being one of the producers while the other is the director's brother), and total confusion on if it's trying to be a culture clash comedy (and it fails at being funny), an action film, or a dark drama about the politics of the pharmaceutical industry. It fails at all of them and a good 20-25 minutes (such a lot of Charlize Theron's sex-obsessed character) could have been cut. The only really sympathetic character belongs to Amanda Seyfried but she's hardly given anything to do.

Imagine if someone like Danny Boyle had taken on this story. It might have worked a lot better than it does here.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Hurricane Heist 2/10

While 90's nostalgia is currently the biggest thing, the media continues its whole belief that the 90's never happened and skips straight to rehashing the dreadful indie-made action films that were abundant in the early 2000's. And the really sad thing is that this film could have been half-decent with a good director, a tongue-in-cheek feel, and more stunt work and less CGI. Instead, we get the mockbuster (but more watchable) version of Geostorm with the director of Stealth and The Boy Next Door at the helm. The acting is dreadful, the accents are worse (Toby Kebbell's attempt at sounding like an intelligent Alabama man is pure cringe), and hardly anything makes sense.

But at least it's not technology and conspiracy theories controlling the weather this time.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Quick review bomb...

Black 47: 4/10
What should be the start of a new trend, the "Potato Western", is actually a bore. A revenge film set during the Great Famine of Ireland, the film is dull in its action but is too silly to be taken seriously, and is a total mess, despite the strong cast (including Hugo Weaving and Jim Broadbent, to name but two)

Dark River: 6/10
Watchable drama about a young woman who returns to her family farm after her father dies (Sean Bean, dying as always), and clashing with her brother over who owns the place. Clio Barnard's film feels like a step back, even if the drama is convincing.

Icarus: 7/10
Initially slow but ultimately compelling documentary about doping during the Olympics, as a cyclist openly decides to cheat with the assistance of a Russian scientist, just as a national doping scandal breaks. We all know Russia are corrupt as fuck, but it's interesting to see the conspiracy play out. Not worth of the Oscar, but strong nevertheless.

The Breadwinner: 6/10
Slightly disappointing animation from the company behind The Secret of Kells and the brilliant Song of the Sea. This takes place in Afghanistan, as a young girl is forced to pretend to be a boy when her father is arrested. The animation is lovely, although the most imaginative stuff is kept for a story she tells which doesn't quite relate to the main plot enough.

The Shape of Water: 6/10
A very odd film to win the Oscar, considering it's about a woman who falls for a fish man. Lots of great ideas in here, wrapped in amazing visuals, although if it's a romance it certainly fails to build that aspect convincingly. But there's plenty of interesting characters, including Richard Jenkins as the gay neighbour and Michael Shannon as the villain, and of course sally Hawkins as the mute protagonist. It's falwed, but well-intentioned.

Thor Ragnorak: 5/10
It's funnier than any of the other Marvel movies, but even the great Taika Waititi seems uninterested in the story of Thor having to battle his emo sister, which takes up the last act, when he was far more interested in the junk planet that Thor has to battle out of.

Veronica: 6/10
Beware - claims of this being one of the scariest movies of all time are really wrong. It's actually not scary at all, mor ein line with a Blumhouse film than anything darker or more disturbing. But it's a well executed film about a young girl who is tormented by a demon after a Ouija Board session goes wrong. The most chilling aspect is the true story it's based on.

You Were Never Really Here: 6/10
Stunningly directed but somewhat shallow thriller about a hitman ont he verge of a mental breakdown, as he gets embroiled in some sort of bizarre paedo ring involving people in high places. At times the pacing is slow, at times too fast, but Lynn Ramsay certainly does well to recreate the fractured psyche of a hired killer. I wish there was a bit more under the surface, and that the plot wasn't so ridiculous, but it's a good watch with a great score.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Review dump time:
Annihilation 8/10:
Paramount did Annihilation dirty by quietly dumping it into 2,000 theaters in North America and selling it off to Netflix in most overseas territories. What Alex Garland's sophomore directorial effort lacks in elaborate action sequences and noteworthy performances, it makes up for with beautiful visuals, badass mythology and a smart script that raises a lot of interesting questions about the nature of mankind. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you're cool with cerebral sci-fi flicks that favor ambiguity over popcorn spectacle, you'll probably enjoy this.

Game Night 9/10:
Following a year that was notably light on great comedies, Game Night has descended from the heavens to start 2018 off on a soaring high note. This clever, highly original R-rated dark comedy from directing duo Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley (Vacation) and screenwriter Mark Perez (Accepted) is without question the most I've laughed out loud at a film since Popstar. It takes about 15-20 minutes to kick into high gear, but once the main plot involving a potentially real kidnapping that occurs during a murder mystery party gets set in motion, Game Night becomes a buffet of great visual jokes and quotable lines delivered by an awesome ensemble cast (Jason Bateman, Rachel McAdams, Kyle Chandler, Lamorne Morris, Billy Magnussen, Jesse Plemons) that's collectively in peak form. In addition to its pretty much non-stop laughs, this film also features some surprisingly tense, well-directed chase sequences that further enhance its energetic, freewheeling vibe. Go see this shit.

Death Wish 7/10:
Death Wish is ultimately a competent affair that unfortunately gets bogged down by its refusal to fully embrace its grimey genre roots. The current R-rated action movie marketplace would be well-served by the release of a deliriously entertaining schlockfest, but this film's grim, humorless nature prevents it from filling this increasingly scarce niche. Better luck next time Eli and Bruce.

Red Sparrow 7.5/10:
You'll be hard-pressed to find a darker, more grounded espionage thriller than Red Sparrow. Where most spy films play up the glamour of the lifestyle, Red Sparrow chooses to explore all of the heinous, immoral ways governments exploit their operatives for political gain. This tale of a former ballerina (Jennifer Lawrence in her most magnetic performance since Joy) that's blackmailed into joining an elite team of Russian spies known as "Sparrows" that are trained to use their sexuality to extract information from enemies of the states pulls no punches in terms of disturbing content. The Sparrow program is built around fear and humiliation, and the filmmakers aren't afraid to show the full extent of the horrors these recruits endure in the name of their country. While it was unsettling to watch human beings get physically, emotionally and psychologically abused for relatively long periods of time, displaying these atrocities is essential to establishing the grim environment that influences the decisions Lawrence's character makes as the story progresses. The film stumbles a bit in its final act thanks to some overly convenient plot twists, but screenwriter Justin Haythe and director Francis Lawrence deserve kudos for making a captivating character-driven spy flick that emphasizes just how ugly the world of international espionage is.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Im pretty keen to see Annihilation, was going to last time i went to town, but it got shifted to a later date.

Wow, 9/10 for Game Night? That is massive. And im def weary of making this too highly expected- not only cause u reference Popstar as really funny (mildly amusing at best for me) but also cause the cast doesn't grab me like say: Anchorman, ive always thought Rachel McAdams is over rated and Bateman doesn't have any range (unless in bit parts like in Dodgeball). I do like Jesse Plemons and Kyle Chandler though...

I'll prob see Death Wish eventually, but for me it reeks of a film that in the past was played by Jason Statham
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale