What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by numbersix »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Do you just hate popular things?
Hahahaha

I quite like The Good Place. Kristen Bell has great timing (and surely her "life partner" is likeable?), and it's interesting to see a comedy that's quite plot driven.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I don't like overpraised things. Big difference.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'll give you credit Boosh because you hate pretty much every god damn thing in existence, regardless of whether or not it's acclaimed or popular. I've never seen anything like it in my life and I honestly find it fascinating.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And this site would be less fun without Boosch :)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Obviously, someone didn't read my two 10/10 reviews recently. Not everyone has to like the same things, Tranny.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Nah I read them, but those are outliers in a sea of 1-3 reviews and negative comments about other TV shows/movies. I'm sorry that you perceived my comment as an insult. I was just making an observation that I find your overwhelmingly negative takes very interesting.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Well, I'm sorry that I can't give everything a 7.5/10. You can't give things a pass for simply existing (a big problem I have with IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes, where it seems like anything can get a 6/10). You need to use the whole scale and a lot of movies and TV shows can't get a 6/10 when they are truly a 3/10 (which is more "this is mediocre and could be better" than "WORST THING EVER!").

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Because I'm seeing Heathers in a movie theatre tonight and the newly-renamed Paramount Network gave it a free preview, I gave the first episode of the Heathers series a watch.

Who exactly decided this needed to be a series and why did they make it with people who seemingly never saw the film? It feels less like Heathers and more like Desperate Housewives with high school students. Also, the series seems to be less about being funny and entertaining and more about offending everyone. And I noted that no one from the original outside of Shannen Doherty was involved with this update so what was the point.

In the end, the people at Lakeshore Entertainment should have just listened to Winona Ryder's pitch for Heathers 2. It would have been better than this unnecessary MTV reject.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Finished two shows on Hulu this week. First, I watched the episodes of Axe Cop I hadn't seen yet. I wish this series had kept going but Fox buried the second season on FXX and it did get a proper finale with the comic's co-creator writing. It's also impressive to note all the guest stars the show had. This includes perhaps the strangest role of David Strathairn's career. Also, Kristen Schaal voices God.

Second was a short-lived show co-created by Conan O'Brien, Andy Barker P.I. I'm led to believe this show was ahead of its time as in 2007, NBC canceled it after only six episodes. Nowadays, a show of its breed would have easily gotten two seasons. Andy Richter brings his likeability from Conan's talk shows and his other star vehicle sitcom, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, and enters an entertaining parody of detective shows focusing on a CPA who's mistaken for a private eye and has to solve crimes while helping with people's taxes. It's also the closest we will ever get to a full series based on the Lookwell pilot.

Next, I've got a few 11 minute shows on the docket.

Edit: I gave an episode of Lucas Bros. Moving Company, a show from the same block Axe Cop was on, a shot. I guess they can't be all like Axe Cop. The show felt like Bob's Burgers, but with worse animation and more weed jokes. I'm sure The Lucas Brothers are decent as Maria Bamford's worked with them (but then again, she's also worked with Fred Armisen and I can't stand him) but this show wasn't a very good showcase for their work.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I gave Netflix's latest attempt at a cooking competition show a watch. Nailed It!, based on the meme, is surprisingly good for the most part. The judges are entertaining and the contestants are both strong characters and good competitors. Season 1 could have stood to be longer (only six episodes) and had a slightly bigger budget. The worst part was the season finale, particularly in the final challenge (cooking shows do not need to get political, that's all I have to say) and the fact that the contestant you probably wouldn't want to win did.

Netflix has not announced a renewal yet but I have a feeling they will keep it (though they've been killing most anything with a female lead lately). Maybe they'll fix any issues this season had and improve on it.

Lastly, Amanda from Episode 2 needs to be a meme. Easily the most hilarious contestant.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I finished the US run of Kitchen Nightmares earlier. So many restauranteurs stuck in the 80's and treating their younger employees like shit.

Kind of like real life.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

We all know that David Lynch and Mark Frost created Twin Peaks. But did you know they also did a sitcom that was canceled after three episodes? I watched On the Air, a short-lived 1992 series dumped by ABC in the summer, aired out of order, and killed with four unaired episodes. Luckily, Europe got the complete series and I managed to watch them all.

Despite Lynch co-creating the series, he only worked on two episodes (the best two, by the way) due to his involvement with Fire Walk with Me. Otherwise, it's an interesting if not completely successful throwback to 50's variety shows while featuring a single-camera aesthetic not often seen at that point. The humor is somewhat lighter than Twin Peaks (but very Lynchian) but the strongest point lays in the cast. Most sitcoms tend to be star vehicles or built around big ideas. Here, the cast was based around character actors (the biggest name probably being Miguel Ferrer as the executive) and it totally works. The lack of star power makes the show better.

In the end, it's not a surprise why it was canceled. It was too odd for a network (though I think it would have done well on cable).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

A while back, I watched all six episodes of Andy Barker, P.I. A few years later, a similar off-kilter crime show produced by Conan O'Brien came about on Adult Swim called Eagleheart. This one, with Chris Elliott as a trigger-happy U.S. Marshal, was more successful, lasting three seasons. I just finished the first season and it might be one of the most bizarre narrative shows to ever get greenlighted by a network or basic cable channel. It's violent and the humor is an acquired taste (though he didn't create it, O'Brien's thumbprint is all over the show) but it can be hysterical. Also, it's kind of what if Elliott's Action Family (an experimental pilot he starred in around 1986 that he did for Cinemax but wasn't picked up) had become a series, but gorier and his family becoming two other U.S. Marshals.

It will be interesting to see how the other two seasons are like (the last season has some double-length episodes, which may or may not be a good thing).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I finished the other two seasons of Eagleheart. I'm not sure if switching to an arc-based storyline for the third season was a good idea. It got weird too quickly and the payoff didn't entirely work (in addition, they either left a bunch of things hanging or had no reason to include them).

On the other hand, I finally found those two Fallen Angels episodes I could never find online. It's too bad those have been essentially suppressed as they were quite entertaining (one was the only directorial effort by Tom Cruise, the other was a James Ellroy adaptation Ellroy himself hated). I'd love to see a company settle the rights issues with this series as it could use a rediscovery.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I finally watched some of Dead Like Me and personally, I didn't understand the appeal. It's basically Wonderfalls with dead people and a bland lead.