The Fantaverse 25 Most Over-rated films list

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: The Fantaverse 25 Most Over-rated films list

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I like the No. 1s, all seem to be passionate picks.

Six/Zeitgeist - Well your smart, articulate friend is half correct! I really enjoyed this when i was going through my drunken conspiracy rampage a few years back. The money and the religion points are valid enough, and theres a handful of points about 9/11 which i cant ignore, i dunno if they are true or not, still while drunk, you think this is a bloody revelation! Overall i think your are half correct that this may have spawned a fair few dopplegangers which probably make less sense. The sequels werent bad either just not as hard hitting. If you think all is well in the world you have to be either naive or ignorant, which is where one of your feet is standing on, whether or not the film addresses solutions isn't a concern to me either- im sure we all have a theory on how to make things better

Boosh/Whiplash - We all know your hate for this so no surprise. Im leaning towards calling it not over rated, alot of my friends haven't even seen this. And i agree with six about those few stunning scenes.

Wallsy/Se7en - I really like this movie, most times if its on TV, ill finish it. So i strongly disagree with it being here but its your opinion.

Chien/Dancer - Actually been meaning to see this for a while now, but i dislike Bjork so much that its never in the q

John/TDK - No, no nooooo! With this appearance, it will probably make the collective top 10, not cool man

Tranny/Ed Scissor me timbers - Once upon a time i would have agreed with you for sure. Before its listing here i was planning on rewatching it in the next week and ill get back to ya

Good to hear you're already on the next list wallsy! Im gonna do it at work next week when things get slow. I initially wanted to do a top 75 but i figure 50 makes it a little more difficult and can always do the 10 that just missed the cut before the countdown actually begins for those who cant split the pack
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

You obviously haven't seen the Whiplash love on the Internet. It's currently the 46th highest rated film on IMDb (higher rated than The Great Dictator, Dr. Strangelove, Citizen Kane, Vertigo, and M). And so many young people are convinced it's this masterpiece of the teacher-student subgenre. If you really think that, you obviously have never seen Dead Poets Society or Mr. Holland's Opus or Stand and Deliver or many of the superior films focusing on the relationship between a mentor and his or her protege. The School of Rock is even a better film than Whiplash and all that film seemed to say was "sure, go ahead, lie about your identity, and endanger children to get revenge on the people who fired you for a perfectly good reason".

It also seems to be the favorite film of the alt-right (that, American Sniper, or the Purge movies) for some reason.

So there are many reasons why Whiplash is far from underrated. It was overpraised at Sundance, it was overpraised at the Oscars, and it's overpraised now.

Speaking of IMDb, I found that Blade Runner 2049 has a higher ranking than Blade Runner. Cue the Jeopardy "what" gif.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

JohnErle wrote:Dancer In The Dark – Haven't seen, no interest. Personally, I think your list places too much weight on whatever the handful of people in the Cannes jury chose from the handful of films that were submitted in a particular year, but you're French so it's understandable.
It all comes down to how you interpret the word overrated. I've tried and balanced my list with films that feel overrated by the general public opinion and films that are overrated because they are considered classics by cinephiles or have won many awards acknowledging them among film lovers. It wouldn't have been fun, for me at least, to just interpret the "most overrated" theme only according to one of those aspects.
And indeed I'm French so leave me alone you Canadian, I'm better than you ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Silly Frenchie. Everyone knows Canada is the pinnacle of human civilization. We took the best of French and English culture 150 years ago and chucked out all the rest. Then we invented hockey and Timbits. ;-)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And beautiful, beautiful poutine

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

And it was a Canadian who first put pineapple on a pizza.

You're welcome.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

JohnErle wrote:Silly Frenchie. Everyone knows Canada is the pinnacle of human civilization. We took the best of French and English culture 150 years ago and chucked out all the rest. Then we invented hockey and Timbits.
You're still better than an American (although you're not French-Canadian so I'm not sure), but don't push it.
And I had to Google "Timbit" to know what it is. I'm not sure it crossed the Atlantic, not to the French shores at least.

And you guys are responsible for pineapple on pizzas ? Hmmmm... might have to rewrite my first sentence, maybe you're not better than Americans after all... ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:And it was a Canadian who first put pineapple on a pizza.

You're welcome.
I take everything nice I said about Canada back...

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Even if you don't like the taste, you have to admire his cunning plan to deflect blame onto the Hawaiians.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

JohnErle wrote:And it was a Canadian who first put pineapple on a pizza.

You're welcome.
Welp looks like I officially hate Canada
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:Even if you don't like the taste, you have to admire his cunning plan to deflect blame onto the Hawaiians.
Hence the Italo-Hawian War, which has lasted nigh on 60 years now. So many pasta dishes have been spat in.... so, so many.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

And i thought i was the only one who hated pineapple on pizza! I must be living in the wrong place. Ive yet to try Poutine - BUT- my favourite food is Chips n Gravy! And one of the other ones is cheese sooo....

Almost forgot:

Papa Burgundy's No. 1 Most Over rated film is:

The Hurt Locker (2008)
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The way things are going, I might have to add The Greatest Showman as an honorable mention. I have no idea why people think this is a good movie.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:
JohnErle wrote:Even if you don't like the taste, you have to admire his cunning plan to deflect blame onto the Hawaiians.
Hence the Italo-Hawian War, which has lasted nigh on 60 years now. So many pasta dishes have been spat in.... so, so many.
Tragically, the word Aloha now has three distinct meanings: Hello, Goodbye, and Die Italian Pig.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

This heated debate over pineapple on pizza has got me wondering whether you guys have ever heard of Beef & Blue Cheese on a pizza?

I'd never seen one until 10 years ago, and now most pizza chains in Vancouver have it on their menu. Maybe this is another Canadian pizza innovation that will eventually cause families to be torn asunder. And in case you haven't had the pleasure, a Beef & Blue Cheese pizza done right is deeeee-lish.