Perfect Blue / Requiem for a Dream

This is the place for all movie-related videos. From new trailers, to behind the scenes footage and interviews.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Perfect Blue / Requiem for a Dream

Post by NSpan »

Currently watching Perfect Blue--an anime movie from 1998. So far, it's pretty good. Though I found one particular shot a bit too familiar. Check it out.

As it turns out, Aronofsky actually spent $59,000 acquiring the rights to Perfect Blue in order to recreate this particular shot. Cool scene, but was it really worth $59k? And, on a side note, where the heck did this at-the-time new director come up with a spare fifty-nine THOUSAND dollars in 1999? If I'm not mistaken, that would've paid for the entire production of Pi.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Perfect Blue / Requiem for a Dream

Post by Buscemi »

I imagine that he got the money from how much Artisan spent to buy the US rights to Pi and his script for Requiem For A Dream.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

Great scene. Worth 59K? Well with a #66 IMDB all time, a bunch of oscar nominations, and it helped launch the director into the big time I would say it may have been. The movie does not have a total produciton budget listed on BOM so I don't know how much he was throwing around on it but when launching a career, anything goes. Besides, the studios probably covered the expense anyway. I doubt Aronovsky wrote the check out of his bank account. :)
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Perfect blue is a great film, definitely one that really stands out as a film even if it weren't an anime. I own it, and have watched it a bunch of time, but its one of those movies I always come away with something new when I do watch it.
I had no idea Arronofsky has recreated the shot, but you know it makes sense, stylistically his films have a very asian feel to them.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Both great films, and $69K is a lot of money. Makes you wonder why did Aronofsky come up with his own way of expressing the scene. Nevertheless, I think Requiem's budget was 3 or 4 million, so in the context 69K was just another expense.