Trailer: Mulan

This is the place for all movie-related videos. From new trailers, to behind the scenes footage and interviews.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Trailer: Mulan

Post by Buscemi2 »

It's certainly a better teaser than The Lion King's.

It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: Trailer: Mulan

Post by undeadmonkey »

disagree.

the lion king teaser sounded, looked, felt like the original.

This looks to have the story, but essentially feels more like a martial arts film than a Disney remake.

Not that i hate it, i like the genre well enough on it's own.

However if i want to watch Mulan, i want Mushu and the lucky cricket and grandma and the songs and the three stooges and i was really hoping the ancestors played a bigger part.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

But the fact that it's not a carbon copy of the original makes it more intriguing. There's a reason why frame-by-frame remakes went out of style after Gus Van Sant remade Psycho. You need to give an incentive to get audiences to accept two versions of the same story.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

The box office would also disagree with you too. jungle book, Aladdin, beauty and the beast were basically more or less shot for shot remakes. Dumbo was not and you can see how well that did.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I have to agree with Boosch that this looks more interesting than the other Disney live-action remakes.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I haven't seen Mulan but this does look interesting.

It's funny that internet audiences, after Beaty & the Beast/Jungle Book, seemed to wonder what was the point of live action remakes if they're shot-for-shot. But Aladdin showed that switching some things up really works as well. Unfortunately, it looks like Lion King is back to being a direct remake, which is boring.

Since this won't be a musical, I wonder if serious Mulan-heads (if that's a group lol) will be turned off by this interpretation.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

There have been some complaints about Mushu being replaced with a phoenix. But much like Timothy in Dumbo being replaced with the two kids, I have a feeling the screenwriters (two of which are the same people who handle the Planet of the Apes series) might not have been able to work Mushu into the current story. However, I did notice Cri-Kee briefly.