Trailer: Dumbo

This is the place for all movie-related videos. From new trailers, to behind the scenes footage and interviews.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Trailer: Dumbo

Post by Buscemi2 »

Another $300 million domestic for Disney. Meanwhile, it's interesting to note that the two children have replaced the Timothy character but I guess they needed to flesh out the story (the original was just over an hour).

It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: Trailer: Dumbo

Post by transformers2 »

I'm not going to rule it out because Disney rarely whiffs at the BO, but is Dumbo really a big enough property to clear $300 mil? Cinderella barely cleared $200 mil domestic and as far as I can tell, that's a far more beloved brand. Don't get it twisted, I fully expect it to do well, I just think $300 mil is a little too high of an estimate.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

The teaser looks great but I wonder if the movie will match. Burton is always good for his fair share of weird.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Tran, Cinderella has always been pigeonholed by people as a "girly movie" and the trailers gave everything anyway, leading to there not being much interest after opening weekend. In addition, Kenneth Branagh has never been a mainstream director.

With Dumbo, you have a four-quadrant movie with a name director. And audiences love animal stories.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Spectre wrote:The teaser looks great but I wonder if the movie will match. Burton is always good for his fair share of weird.
He does, but i'm wondering if Disney kept Burton on a short leash. Or at least they aren't showing it in the trailer

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi2 wrote:Tran, Cinderella has always been pigeonholed by people as a "girly movie" and the trailers gave everything anyway, leading to there not being much interest after opening weekend. In addition, Kenneth Branagh has never been a mainstream director.

With Dumbo, you have a four-quadrant movie with a name director. And audiences love animal stories.
If Cinderella was hurt by being a "girly movie", then how do you explain Beauty and the Beast's unreal success? Using your logic, they'd both have the same roadblocks to megasuccess, no?

Also I can only imagine how much bigger Cinderella, Thor and Murder on the Orient Express would've been if Branagh was a "mainstream" director.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

undeadmonkey wrote:He does, but i'm wondering if Disney kept Burton on a short leash. Or at least they aren't showing it in the trailer
I think it's a little bit of both. I definitely get the feeling that the trailer masked some of it though based on how streamlined it was.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

SOOOOOOOOO glad I drafted this movie!!! Looks awesome.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

transformers2 wrote:
Buscemi2 wrote:Tran, Cinderella has always been pigeonholed by people as a "girly movie" and the trailers gave everything anyway, leading to there not being much interest after opening weekend. In addition, Kenneth Branagh has never been a mainstream director.

If Cinderella was hurt by being a "girly movie", then how do you explain Beauty and the Beast's unreal success? Using your logic, they'd both have the same roadblocks to megasuccess, no?

Also I can only imagine how much bigger Cinderella, Thor and Murder on the Orient Express would've been if Branagh was a "mainstream" director.
Because Beauty and the Beast went beyond what Cinderella did. The 1991 version had wider appeal than the 1950 Cinderella, it was nominated for Best Picture, and was a contributing factor to the Disney Renaissance. Kids and adults equally loved it. When people think Cinderella, they'll think of one of those Tinkerbell movies. When people think Beauty and the Beast, there's so much more. That's why Beauty and the Beast was so much bigger.

And Kenneth Branagh is still thought of as the guy who did those Shakespeare movies. He doesn't sell a film like Burton does.