Super Bowl Trailers

This is the place for all movie-related videos. From new trailers, to behind the scenes footage and interviews.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Super Bowl Trailers

Post by Buscemi »

Tim Burton should stop playing it safe all the time (as in, appealling solely to emos and casting Depp in everything) and create something like he did back in the 1980's.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I actually agree with you on that Boush. He hasn't done anything good since 1993
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The 1980's was definitely his high point. Vincent, Frankenweenie, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice and Batman. Though he has proven he can take chances (Ed Wood, Mars Attacks, Big Fish), he plays it safe way too often. And don't get me started on Planet Of The Apes.

Or maybe he just needs Paul Reubens and Michael Keaton around more often.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish are two of Burton's best pieces of work, and both have been released post 1993, while many could argue Ed Wood is his best contribution he has made and that was released in 1994. I'll admit I am a diehard Burton fan, but his body of work is among the best in Hollywood, and I don't really understand the 'playing it safe' remark, Burton has continued to create different movies which cross genres (Ed Wood - biography, Mars Attacks - Sci fi, Sleepy Hollow - horror, Charlie & Alice- novel adaptations). And by tackling well known material such as Alice , Planet of the Apes and Charlie which have all been released before to acclaim, he has set himself up for persecution every time from their fans. Doesn't really feel like playing it safe to me....

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

He plays it safe in the fact that he only makes surefire hits (remakes, adaptations, Johnny Depp vehicles). He's proved that he can do something different than his usual projects but never goes ahead with it.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Since when has Burton ever made surefire hits? Only 3 of his movies have made over $100m since 1992!!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Batman Returns
Sleepy Hollow
Planet Of The Apes
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Corpse Bride
Sweeney Todd
Alice In Wonderland

Tim Burton only made these movies because he knew they would make money. There are some cases where he makes them for the sake of making them (Ed Wood, Mars Attacks, Big Fish), but those are few and far between.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Buscemi, sometimes I think you need to stop and research what you are talking about before you start blasting off. What you are saying is absolute rubbish. Do you seriously believe that Tim Burton has been making movies for the past two decades just for money? And you're picking easy targets as those examples in that you have just taken pretty much every movie which he has adapted from something else rather than his own imagination as a tool to make money from.

Firstly, after getting post movie depression from Batman due to the harsh environment of his first big movie, he decided (after a long time) that he needed to do Batman Returns as a way to enable him to reconnect with the one movie which he had felt he wasn't close to and accept its flaws. He wanted to have fun on this movie and regain the feeling he had when working on Beetlejuice. Not to mention he is a big admirer of the Batman material because it deals with a lot of the same issues Burton deals with in each of his movies; the concept of identity and duality.

He took Sleepy Hollow on because he had just finished with the abandoned Superman, a movie if completed would have made a lot more money (and of course, Burton is only interested in money isn't he...), after he realised he couldn't work on a movie which he wouldn't have complete creative control on(the script was being pulled three ways - Burton, Jon Peters and Warners.) Sleepy Hollow was a film which Burton was much more attracted to, as he had never taken on a horror film before, and it had a strong script from the guys behind Tales From The Crypt and Seven and a great story. On top of that it only just broke even. Hardly worth making if you are only doing it for money.

Burton only adapted Planet Of The Apes because he loved the movie and was fascinated with what he could he do with it, despite having reservations of trying to redo a classic. He only continued with the project because it was a reimagining rather than a remake, and even then in hindsight he regrets doing it.

Roald Dahl was one of Burton's favourite authors when he was a child, and alongside his desire to improve upon the original which he hated (and actually have it follow Dahl's original script), and the wishes of Felicity Dahl to have Burton as the director, these were the main reasons he took on the movie.

How on earth was Corpse Bride only made to make money. Burton had been wanting to do an animation since Nightmare, and was working on the movie for ten years. Hardly the idea of someone who would want to make a quick buck....

I assume Alice In Wonderland is Burton's attempt to reclaim a children's classic after Disney reinterpreted Carroll's story, giving the film gravity which most other adaptations have not.

I think you have just decided that because you are not a fan of those particular movies that obviously Burton took on the films for the wrong reasons. He has made some mistakes of course, but I highly doubt, out of all the filmmakers in Hollywood today, that Burton is a director who makes movies only for money. He has to at least have an interest in every movie he takes on, and many of them he has a deep rooted desire to make them. And even then, his movies very rarely make a lot of money, except for his big budget studio movies, so I highly doubt that profit is his motivation. Just because they aren't the small movies he has completed during his career doesn't mean he only made them for money. Heck, if that was the case you could pretty much suggest any director out there working today who works on a big budget movie has thrown away the reason they got into movies in the first place just to make money. That is ridiculous. He continues to try different things and projects that interest him in the hope of making a decent movie. I'm done on this now, this argument is absurd.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Geezer wrote:I had no idea that this was treated as a sequel. I really didn't. Normally sequels have different titles, or at least a 2 after them, so you can see my confusion. With this new information, I don't think anyone should be mad or disappointed that they didn't stay true, however, they have not advertised this as a "sequel" and people will not realize this. They will go in expecting a remake of the original film. Which is why I still think the main appeal is to Burton fans who worship him and as Becs pointed out think the man can do no wrong :roll:
It's not a sequel to the movie, it's an adaption of the book 'Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There', which is a sequel to Alice's Adventure in Wonderland.

Personally, I think Burton is a genius. Even if you dont like his films you can't deny that he loves what he does.
Last edited by undeadmonkey on February 9th, 2010, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

When directors become famous, 90% of the time they continue to do it for the money. The one exception I can think of is Martin Scorsese (okay, maybe The Aviator was a for the money project but still).

But it doesn't mean that we can't enjoy those for the money movies (for example, I liked most of those Burton titles that I listed). I'm just saying that Tim Burton should do more personal projects and projects that truly use his talents. And try to get one of Danny Elfman's scripts produced (seriously, who wouldn't want to see Elfman direct?).

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

undeadmonkey wrote:
Geezer wrote:I had no idea that this was treated as a sequel. I really didn't. Normally sequels have different titles, or at least a 2 after them, so you can see my confusion. With this new information, I don't think anyone should be mad or disappointed that they didn't stay true, however, they have not advertised this as a "sequel" and people will not realize this. They will go in expecting a remake of the original film. Which is why I still think the main appeal is to Burton fans who worship him and as Becs pointed out think the man can do no wrong :roll:
It's not a sequel to the movie, it's an adaption of the book 'Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There', which is a sequel to Alice's Adventure in Wonderland.

Personally, I think Burton is a genius. Even if you dont like his films you can't deny that he loves what he does.
I had no idea that there ever was a sequel to Alice in Wonderland, hence my confusion. Shouldn't the title of the film be "Through the Looking Glass"? and not "Alice in Wonderland" if it is a different story? Or did they just pick a title that would bring in more people.

I find Burton's act to be very stale
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Geezer wrote: I find Burton's act to be very stale
So stale it's mouldy. I've hated everything he's made after Ed Wood (With the exception of Sleepy Hollow, which was passable), and sometimes I find it hard to comprehend how the talent behind brilliant films such as Batman Returns (Yes, I think the sequel surpasses the original), Beetlejuice, and Ed Wood, can end up making films as awful as Planet of the Apes and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (and with the latter two, I suspect that if it wasn't for them being based on popular originals, they would have made a lot more money).

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

It's not that Burton "sold out" or is "doing it for the money"... He's been playing it safe creatively--not financially... He's like a cracked record, stuck in a groove... Despite their superficial differences, his last three projects (Corpse Bride, Chocolate Factory, Sweeney Todd) have all been essentially the same tired, recycled project... And Alice looks no different...

So Boosch is right but with the wrong reasons... And Surfer--well, his post was too long, so I didn't read it...

For the record, I hate Tim Burton. But, it's hard to talk shit about a director who has three movies in your Top 100 (Beetlejuice, Pee-wee, Ed Wood--the latter being in my Top 10)
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

On the topics of these Trailers Shutter Island and Brooklyn's Finest had the best spots I think. Robin Hood looks alright. Alice In Wonderland and The Last Airbender look unholy awful.

I thought the best commerical of the whole game was the T=Pain autotone one. That killed me. My other faves were every Bud Light Commerical,Doriotos Ninja and the Betty White Snickers.

Lastly imo Tim Burton sucks and he hasn't made anything worth while since Mars Attacks! His films now are simply based around opputunites to rape classics and have Johnny Depp be zany and emo.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!