Super Bowl Trailers

This is the place for all movie-related videos. From new trailers, to behind the scenes footage and interviews.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Super Bowl Trailers

Post by Buscemi »

Here are the the trailers that were shown during the Super Bowl.

The Last Airbender (M. Night looks to have finally lost it)

Robin Hood (sadly not going to be in 3-D)

Shutter Island (they probably should have posted Scorsese's entire resume while they were at it)

Brooklyn's Finest (a strange choice to run during the Super Bowl)

The Wolfman

The Crazies (wow, Overture got two spots for the Super Bowl?)

Alice In Wonderland

Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time (the flop of the year?)

Out of these, I'd call The Crazies the best spot (Overture seems to usually have good ad campaigns on their movies, sometimes too good in case of films like Pandorum) while The Last Airbender had the worst spot.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Super Bowl Trailers

Post by Geezer »

Robin Hood looks absolutely sick!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

thswrestler160
Private Pyle

Post by thswrestler160 »

if by sick you mean makes me want to vomit because of how attrocious it will be then your spot on geez.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

No, I mean it looks outstanding. Most anticipated of the year status! But I'm a big fan of that type of movie. Also think Brooklyn's Finest looks very good.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

We watched the Robin Hood and Shutter Island trailers in English class as today's assignment (on marketing). Someone thought Robin Hood looked bad and felt that "it should be a kid's movie". This same person also thinks all vampires should be like Edward Cullen.

I wanted to suggest showing the trailer for The Crazies but it wasn't on Spike.com (this was the site being used).

As for other Super Bowl ads shown, I liked the Budweiser "horse and ox" ad, the Dove ad with the guy singing, the Doritos "slap" ad (I saw this one previously on YouTube) and the Bridgestone ad with the whale. I hated the Bud Light "T-Pain" and "Lost Parody" ads (however, the Bud Light asteroid ad was good).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I liked the Doritos ninja ad, the Budweiser Bridge ad and the chicken ads from Denny's were funny.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I liked the Budweiser bridge ad too. However, the teacher stupidly misidentified the score from Stripes as the theme from Bonanza.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Out of those trailers, I was most impressed by Shutter Island and the Crazies.

I can't help but wonder will people associate the Robin Hood trailer with Kingdom of Heaven, as it seems to concentrate more on the crusades.

Wolfman looks okay although I'm definitely waiting to hear the word-of-mouth response before seeing it.

The Last Airbender looks like one of the battle sequences from Final Fantasy.

Brooklyn's Finest looks like a generic urban thriller, like a clone of Training Day.

The Alice in Wonderland trailer barely has Alice in it at all, instead it goes for the "kooky" characters, which makes me think it'll be like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and thus any desire to see it has been eradicated.

Prince of Persias looks like a load of special effects to me. It'll probably do well.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

To date, all of the Alice in Wonderland trailers focus on Johnny Depp except one: the international trailer. I wonder if the lack of Alice and surplus of Johnny Depp will turn off the target audience and keep the film's appeal from going past the Depp fans?

At this point, I'm thinking that it will open well (about $60-70 million) but will drop really quickly, like with Watchmen. In fact, this seems to be for Disney what Watchmen was for Warner Bros.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Buscemi wrote:I liked the Budweiser bridge ad too. However, the teacher stupidly misidentified the score from Stripes as the theme from Bonanza.
That whore! How do you not recognize Stripes! That made the commercial for me!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

numbersix wrote:Out of those trailers, I was most impressed by Shutter Island and the Crazies.

I can't help but wonder will people associate the Robin Hood trailer with Kingdom of Heaven, as it seems to concentrate more on the crusades.

Wolfman looks okay although I'm definitely waiting to hear the word-of-mouth response before seeing it.

The Last Airbender looks like one of the battle sequences from Final Fantasy.

Brooklyn's Finest looks like a generic urban thriller, like a clone of Training Day.

The Alice in Wonderland trailer barely has Alice in it at all, instead it goes for the "kooky" characters, which makes me think it'll be like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and thus any desire to see it has been eradicated.

Prince of Persias looks like a load of special effects to me. It'll probably do well.
Both Shutter Island and the Crazies look exceptionally creepy, which isn't my cup of tea but they should do well for fans of the genre.

I got a little Kingdom of Heaven from Robin Hood, but I also was highly anticipating Kingdom of Heaven. I was bitterly disappointed.

I think Wolfman looks like garbage and will not perform well at all.

Considering Training Day is a top 20 movie for me, you can see my excitement.

Prince of Persia will never be anything but laughable to me because of Jake Gyllenhall in the lead. What a terrible casting decision.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Buscemi wrote:To date, all of the Alice in Wonderland trailers focus on Johnny Depp except one: the international trailer. I wonder if the lack of Alice and surplus of Johnny Depp will turn off the target audience and keep the film's appeal from going past the Depp fans?

At this point, I'm thinking that it will open well (about $60-70 million) but will drop really quickly, like with Watchmen. In fact, this seems to be for Disney what Watchmen was for Warner Bros.
I think the film's target audience are Burton fans. Its been played out this way from the start. Burton fans drool over Depp and all of his creepiness. I don't think it will suffer at all from the overuse of such a minor character and ripping apart the original script. I'm sure some will be disappointed, but not the core audience. It will be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory all over again. Die hard fans of the original will be pissed off, but it will have a new base of fans all its own.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I don't understand what you mean by 'ripping apart the original script', Geez. The movie isn't a remake of the 1951 Alice (which in itself was very liberally creative with the script anyway!), but rather a sequel/ reimagining that takes place years after the events in Through The Looking Glass, while also using parts of Jabberwocky to expand upon the characters. Also, the 'creepines' you suggest from the movie is very apparent in all of Carroll's Wonderland books, so it makes sense that the movie should appear so. The trailer has been catered towards Depp fans, but that's hardly new, as he is the most recognised actor in the movie, and the point of a trailer is marketing, is it not? And it's not as if Alice is hardly shown in the trailer. I think we should all reserve judgement until someone has actually seen the movie.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Geezer wrote:
Buscemi wrote:To date, all of the Alice in Wonderland trailers focus on Johnny Depp except one: the international trailer. I wonder if the lack of Alice and surplus of Johnny Depp will turn off the target audience and keep the film's appeal from going past the Depp fans?

I think the film's target audience are Burton fans. Its been played out this way from the start. Burton fans drool over Depp and all of his creepiness. I don't think it will suffer at all from the overuse of such a minor character and ripping apart the original script. I'm sure some will be disappointed, but not the core audience. It will be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory all over again. Die hard fans of the original will be pissed off, but it will have a new base of fans all its own.
I agree, I think its sort of the point that they handed over a project and let him have free reign to do whatever. The primary difference between this and Charlie, is this this isn't a remake, its a "sequel" so I am interested to see Burton's take, but then to me he can do no wrong anyway. Personally This trailer seems more like a teaser than anything, kind of a step backward, recently in the theatre and online I've been seeing much more of the trailer that starts out with her proposal, that trailer does primarily focus on Alice throughout, but I don't think there is any denying the Hatter will be a primary character.

Edit: also, if you've never seen Terry Gilliam's Jabberwocky, you are toootally missing out.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I had no idea that this was treated as a sequel. I really didn't. Normally sequels have different titles, or at least a 2 after them, so you can see my confusion. With this new information, I don't think anyone should be mad or disappointed that they didn't stay true, however, they have not advertised this as a "sequel" and people will not realize this. They will go in expecting a remake of the original film. Which is why I still think the main appeal is to Burton fans who worship him and as Becs pointed out think the man can do no wrong :roll: