ReelSociety Forums


Your home for all Reel and Real discussions.

Trailer: Dumbo

This is the place for all movie-related videos. From new trailers, to behind the scenes footage and interviews.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Trailer: Dumbo

Postby Buscemi2 » June 13th, 2018, 5:09 am

Another $300 million domestic for Disney. Meanwhile, it's interesting to note that the two children have replaced the Timothy character but I guess they needed to flesh out the story (the original was just over an hour).

It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.
User avatar
Buscemi2
Ratzo Rizzo
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: July 25th, 2017, 9:13 pm
Location: Neither here nor there.

Advertisement

 

Re: Trailer: Dumbo

Postby transformers2 » June 13th, 2018, 8:57 am

I'm not going to rule it out because Disney rarely whiffs at the BO, but is Dumbo really a big enough property to clear $300 mil? Cinderella barely cleared $200 mil domestic and as far as I can tell, that's a far more beloved brand. Don't get it twisted, I fully expect it to do well, I just think $300 mil is a little too high of an estimate.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!
User avatar
transformers2
The Bride
 
Posts: 4322
Joined: October 23rd, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Trailer: Dumbo

Postby Spectre » June 13th, 2018, 9:17 am

The teaser looks great but I wonder if the movie will match. Burton is always good for his fair share of weird.
User avatar
Spectre
Marty McFly
 
Posts: 866
Joined: October 27th, 2009, 10:31 pm

Re: Trailer: Dumbo

Postby Buscemi2 » June 13th, 2018, 9:20 am

Tran, Cinderella has always been pigeonholed by people as a "girly movie" and the trailers gave everything anyway, leading to there not being much interest after opening weekend. In addition, Kenneth Branagh has never been a mainstream director.

With Dumbo, you have a four-quadrant movie with a name director. And audiences love animal stories.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.
User avatar
Buscemi2
Ratzo Rizzo
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: July 25th, 2017, 9:13 pm
Location: Neither here nor there.

Re: Trailer: Dumbo

Postby undeadmonkey » June 13th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Spectre wrote:The teaser looks great but I wonder if the movie will match. Burton is always good for his fair share of weird.


He does, but i'm wondering if Disney kept Burton on a short leash. Or at least they aren't showing it in the trailer
User avatar
undeadmonkey
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
 
Posts: 4060
Joined: October 22nd, 2009, 1:39 pm

Re: Trailer: Dumbo

Postby transformers2 » June 13th, 2018, 2:13 pm

Buscemi2 wrote:Tran, Cinderella has always been pigeonholed by people as a "girly movie" and the trailers gave everything anyway, leading to there not being much interest after opening weekend. In addition, Kenneth Branagh has never been a mainstream director.

With Dumbo, you have a four-quadrant movie with a name director. And audiences love animal stories.

If Cinderella was hurt by being a "girly movie", then how do you explain Beauty and the Beast's unreal success? Using your logic, they'd both have the same roadblocks to megasuccess, no?

Also I can only imagine how much bigger Cinderella, Thor and Murder on the Orient Express would've been if Branagh was a "mainstream" director.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!
User avatar
transformers2
The Bride
 
Posts: 4322
Joined: October 23rd, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Trailer: Dumbo

Postby Spectre » June 13th, 2018, 3:52 pm

undeadmonkey wrote:He does, but i'm wondering if Disney kept Burton on a short leash. Or at least they aren't showing it in the trailer


I think it's a little bit of both. I definitely get the feeling that the trailer masked some of it though based on how streamlined it was.
User avatar
Spectre
Marty McFly
 
Posts: 866
Joined: October 27th, 2009, 10:31 pm

Re: Trailer: Dumbo

Postby Brockster » June 13th, 2018, 3:56 pm

SOOOOOOOOO glad I drafted this movie!!! Looks awesome.
User avatar
Brockster
Clark Griswald
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 2:25 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Trailer: Dumbo

Postby Buscemi2 » June 13th, 2018, 7:58 pm

transformers2 wrote:
Buscemi2 wrote:Tran, Cinderella has always been pigeonholed by people as a "girly movie" and the trailers gave everything anyway, leading to there not being much interest after opening weekend. In addition, Kenneth Branagh has never been a mainstream director.

With Dumbo, you have a four-quadrant movie with a name director. And audiences love animal stories.

If Cinderella was hurt by being a "girly movie", then how do you explain Beauty and the Beast's unreal success? Using your logic, they'd both have the same roadblocks to megasuccess, no?

Also I can only imagine how much bigger Cinderella, Thor and Murder on the Orient Express would've been if Branagh was a "mainstream" director.


Because Beauty and the Beast went beyond what Cinderella did. The 1991 version had wider appeal than the 1950 Cinderella, it was nominated for Best Picture, and was a contributing factor to the Disney Renaissance. Kids and adults equally loved it. When people think Cinderella, they'll think of one of those Tinkerbell movies. When people think Beauty and the Beast, there's so much more. That's why Beauty and the Beast was so much bigger.

And Kenneth Branagh is still thought of as the guy who did those Shakespeare movies. He doesn't sell a film like Burton does.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.
User avatar
Buscemi2
Ratzo Rizzo
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: July 25th, 2017, 9:13 pm
Location: Neither here nor there.


Return to Videos

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests