Precious

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

mateostarr
Juno MacGuff

Precious

Post by mateostarr »

Precious
Release Date: November 6th, 2009 (limited)

Clareece "Precious" Jones is an overweight, HIV-positive, African-American teen in Harlem. Just as she's about to give birth to her second child (the result of incest), Jones is accepted into an alternative school where a teacher helps her find a new path in her life. Paula Patton (Idlewild, Deja Vu) will play the teacher; a newcomer named Gabourey Sidibe -- who auditioned among 300 other girls -- will play Precious. Mo'nique plays her wretched mother, and singer Lenny Kravitz (in his theatrical debut) plays a kindly nurse who helps Precious. The film also features a cameo by singer/actress Mariah Carey. The film is an adaptation of the bestselling novel by Sapphire (Ramona Lofton).

Stars: Mo'Nique, Paula Patton, Lenny Kravitz, Gabourey Sidibe and Sherri Shepperd

http://www.reelsociety.com/2009/11/02/precious.html

I just posted my review of Precious. Mo'Nique will surely win every conceivable award in the circuit. The film will be nominated for best picture. It's powerful and extremely well acted. It ranks third in 2009 for me at this point behind The Hurt Locker and A Serious Man. I suggest everyone here check it out if it plays near them. Beware it's a very dark and in your face film.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Precious

Post by Buscemi »

Hmm, do they give awards to people playing bitches?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Meaning what, exactly?

I'm sure villainesses have won awards many times.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I assume that you mean "for playing a" and are not referring to the actor as one. Here's a list of Oscar Winners who played a "bitch" character IMO...

1939 - Vivien Leigh
1975 - Louise Fletcher
1989 - Jessica Tandy
1990- Kathy Bates
2003 - Charlize Theron ?
2008 - Kate Winslet ?

The last two I haven't seen. But from what I hear, they would apply. If not, then there are at least four of them.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I don't remember Kate Winslet's character being bitchy. She simply got caught up in the wrong things.

Meanwhile, I seem to remember Jessica Tandy's character in Driving Miss Daisy being likeable. A tough character but a likeable one.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Like I said, I didn't see the last two on the list, but I don't see how Miss Daisy isn't in the "bitch" category (at least for most of the film).

mateostarr
Juno MacGuff

Post by mateostarr »

Mo'Nique is more than just a bitch in Precious. She is a straight up villain. Her character is closer to the madness and terror of the Joker and Anton Chigurh than to the bitchiness of let's say Louise Fletcher in Cuckoo's Nest.

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

I have read the book and it was a great read. If the movie can capture that essence it will be powerful. I am just wondering how much of the darkness they had to cut or imply to get the movie made. The book made me uneasy and that is rare.

And Miss Daisy was eventually likeable but for the first 70 minutes was a racist. I thiink that qualifies her for "bitch". :)
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

mateostarr
Juno MacGuff

Post by mateostarr »

The movie is very dark and violent. I am not sure how much more they could have put in there.

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

I spoilered my response for two reasons. One is to not ruin anything for the movie or book for anybody who still has yet to see/read it. The second is to keep the response hidden from people who may not want to know. As I said it makes me uneasy and you should all know that is not easy to do by a standard hollywood movie.

The scene in the book where the father first starts to molest Precious when she is only a few months old. I can imagine them keeping that scene out of the movie. At least I hope they do. Even as a flashback told from (i think) the mother's POV it was disgusting and made me cry.

I edited the spoiler for a white text instead. for some reason the spoiler [ut the text in a black box and left it visible.
Last edited by Donte77 on November 3rd, 2009, 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

mateostarr
Juno MacGuff

Post by mateostarr »

They do mention that and they do have a flashback but they don't show anything graphic in regards to that scene. They obviously couldn't even if they wanted to without being slapped with an NC-17.

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

Wow they left that in still in some form. Ballsy but I am glad. I can see this movie getting lots of attention.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I find it kind of amusing that Mo'Nique star of such classics as Phat Girlz and Soul Plane would take such a challenging role like this.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Sometimes there's just a role that's perfect for someone, though everything else they've done is not seen in a good light. This is probably one of those times.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Why do I forsee an Eddie Murphy situation happening here?