The Obituary Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

The Obituary Thread

Post by Buscemi »

This was a feature on the old forum but I have decided to bring it back here. I was considering it for a while but decided to do it now.

Anyways, I found out this afternoon that Quentin Tarantino's editor Sally Menke passed away this morning at the age of 56. In her career, Menke was editor on all of Tarantino's films (getting Oscar nominations for Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds), as well as films such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Oliver Stone's Heaven and Earth and Billy Bob Thornton's All The Pretty Horses. Her last film credit was the straight-to-DVD film Peacock. The cause of death is currently unknown. She is survived by her husband and two children.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: The Obituary Thread

Post by Shrykespeare »

Good idea, Boosh. It's probably a more economic use of space than to create a thread for every famous person that dies.

Speaking of which, I just found out that Gloria Stuart passed away on September 26th.

Though mostly known for her role as the elder Rose in Titanic, her acting credits go all the way back to 1932, although nothing appears in her filmography between 1946 and 1975.

Some of her more more notable film projects include Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, The Three Musketeers (1939), My Favorite Year and Wildcats.

Gloria was just shy of three months past her 100th birthday.

In other news, NFL Hall of Famer George Blanda passed away on Sept. 27th. His pro career spanned four decades. Starting as a quarterback for the Oakland Raiders and then the Chicago Bears, he eventually switch from being a QB to a kicker. At the time he retired, he held the record for most most points scored (2,002). He kicked 335 FG's and 943 extra points. He also held the dubious distinction of having the most-career interceptions (277) untell Brett Favre passed him in 2007. He was a four-time Pro Bowler, won two AFL titles, and was elected into the Hall of Fame in 1981. He was 83 years old at the time of his death.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Director Arthur Penn has passed away at the age of 88. In his career, Penn directed on the stage (doing plays such as The Miracle Worker and Wait Until Dark) and on the screen (doing films such as Bonnie and Clyde, Little Big Man and Night Moves). He was also credited for breaking the taboos of American cinema and contributing to the start of New Hollywood. Another note on Penn's life was that he coached John F. Kennedy for preparation of the 1960 Kennedy/Nixon debates, which lead to Kennedy's win in that year's election. No details are currently known about how Penn died.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Frightening how this thread just opened and today, Greg Giraldo is dead. I'm in shock. He's always been a favorite comedian of mine. Rest in Peace Greg
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I only know Giraldo from the Comedy Central roasts, but he seemed like a cool dude. Sad...
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Penn was a great, great director that paved the way for the New Hollywood.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Damn, Tony Curtis just died :(
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Poor Tony. Still, he had a damn good life, and got to be part of some amazing films, particularly Sweet Smell of Success and Some Like it Hot.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I only know Giraldo from the Comedy Central roasts, but he seemed like a cool dude. Sad...
He was also one of the three judges on Last Comic Standing this past summer. Damn.

Geez, Boosh, you start this thread, and celebs are dropping one-a-day. Coincidence? I think not... :shock:

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Just heard about Tony Curtis. Damn, that's a shame. Could I suggest we queue him up for our top 5's? He had some great movies.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Definitely Surfer, I'm all for Curtis next !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Stephen J. Cannell passed away last night after a battle with melanoma. In his career, Cannell created and produced lots of TV shows (such as The A-Team, 21 Jump Street, The Greatest American Hero, Hunter, Wiseguy and Silk Stalkings). He also was an author and did some acting on his shows or other shows (such as a recent appearance on Castle). He was 69 and is survived by his wife and three children.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

British actor Sir Norman Wisdom has passed away at the age of 95.

Star of stage and screen, a comedian and Tony Award winner, he received a knighthood in 2000, and he is, curiously enough, the official national comedy hero of Albania. Didn't know countries had national comedy heroes.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

This just in. Legendary soul singer Solomon Burke has died at age 70.

He wrote the songs "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" (which was recorded by The Stones and The Blues Brothers) as well as "Cry to Me", which was used in the movie Dirty Dancing. He has won numerous Grammys and is also in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The cause of death is unknown at this time. Burke apparently died while on an airplane traveling from Los Angeles to Amsterdam.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Barbara Billingsley, the original TV mom, has passed away at the age of 94.

Though most famous for playing June Bleaver on Leave it to Beaver, she also regained some fame for her hysterical role in the movie Airplane:

God, that is still hysterical.

RIP Barbara. Catch ya on the flip side.