The Obituary Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: The Obituary Thread

Post by W »

And Stephen Hillenberg (57) creator of SpongeBob from ALS.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'm sure everybody already knows about the death of Penny Marshall, actress, comedienne, and director of such hit films as Big and A League of Their Own, but I thought I'd mention it anyway in case any of you missed it.

I also just heard of the death of veteran character actor Donald Moffat on December 20, who died at 87. Among his roles spanning his fifty-year career were as Base Commander Garry in John Carpenter's The Thing, the less-than-ethical President Bennett in Clear and Present Danger, and as actual President LBJ in The Right Stuff. I think the very first thing I remember seeing him in was a sci-fi TV movie called Exo-Man, as well as the short-lived TV adaptation of Logan's Run.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Lost a big part of my childhood today. The best interviewer in WWF history, “Mean” Gene Okerlund (76).

Also comedian/actor Bob Einstein, also 76.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Mean Gene gone. Dang.

For you, man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

And we've already lost our first two celebs for 2019:

Daryl Dragon, the male half of Captain & Tennille, passed on January 2 at the age of 76.

Super Dave Osborne, comedic daredevil, also passed away on January 2 at the age of 76.

Oh wait, Super Dave and Bob Einstein are the same person. Whoops.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Hollywood/Broadway actress Carol Channing has passed away at 97 years old.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Hollywood icon Albert Finney passed away on Thursday at the age of 82 from a chest infection.

Another great one gone away.

Also: Julie Adams, whose claim to fame was the female lead in the classic monster film The Creature From the Black Lagoon, passed away at 92 on February 3.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I feel like character actors, when they pass, often get overlooked, much like they do when we see them on the big or small screens. We see them, recognize them, "Hey, it's THAT GUY!", and then we move on.

We've lost a few already this year, and thought they deserved special mention one last time.

Dick Miller, age 90 - the guy in the pawn shop who became one of The Terminator's first victims. Also in Gremlins, The Howling, The 'Burbs, and many others.

Bruno Ganz, age 77 - played Hitler in Downfall. Also appeared in Unknown (Liam Neeson), The Reader, The Manchurian Candidate.

W. Morgan Sheppard, age 86 - appeared in Transformers (as Capt. Witwicky), The Prestige, and played several roles in the Star Trek franchise.

Carmen Argenziano, age 75 - I remember him vividly as Jacob Cartor/Selmak on Stargate SG-1. He also appeared in Stand and Deliver, and The Accused.

Also recently deceased:

James Ingram, R&B/soul singer, age 66 - popular singer in the 80's, sang many hits including "Baby Come to Me" (with Patti Austin), "Just Once" (with Quincy Jones), and "Somewhere Out There" (with Linda Ronstadt)

Andrew Vajan, film producer, age 74 - his producer credits include the early Rambo/First Blood films, Angel Heart, Jacob's Ladder, Total Recall, Tombstone, Judge Dredd, and Nixon. His final major film as an executive producer was 2009's Terminator Salvation.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Been a crazy few days for kids/teens of the 80's/90's:

"Who's the Boss" star Katherine Helmond (89)
90210 Star Luke Perry (52)
Prodigy Lead Singer Keith Flint (49)
Late 80's/Early 90's WWF star King Kong Bundy (61)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Seymour Cassel, an Oscar-nominated actor who appeared in such films as Faces (his most critically acclaimed role), Coogan's Bluff, The Last Tycoon, Tin Men, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, and Chasing 3000, has passed at the age of 84.

Also of note: Charles Van Doren, the 1950's game-show contestant who became the center of the "Twenty-One" scandal (portrayed by Ralph Fiennes in Quiz Show" has also passed at the age of 93.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shrykespeare wrote:Also of note: Charles Van Doren, the 1950's game-show contestant who became the center of the "Twenty-One" scandal (portrayed by Ralph Fiennes in Quiz Show" has also passed at the age of 93.
I hadn't heard he passed away. Last month I attended a screening of Quiz Show at the French Cinémathèque with Robert Redford attending and presenting the film.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I should write more often about the great French actors and actresses that pass away, that most of you probably don't know and need to discover.

A couple of days ago, one of my favorite French actors passed away, his name was Jean-Pierre Marielle, he was 87, and I don't know if you've heard of him or seen him in a film, but I hope you will.

He studied acting at the Conservatoire d'art dramatique, in the same generation as other French greats like Jean Rochefort, Jean-Paul Belmondo and Bruno Crémer (of them only Belmondo is still alive).
He was such a funny and moving actor, with such a deep voice, he was great at playing crazy characters, but also ordinary guys.

If you ever have the opportunity, watch him in "Tous les matins du monde", "Les Grands Ducs", "Coup de Torchon", "Quelques jours avec moi" or "Que la fête commence", of course there are many more. He wasn't always the lead, but whatever the role was, he was always fantastic.

Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I've seen Coup De Torchon, but not for ages so his face doesn't look very familiar. Apparently he was in The Da Vinci Code as well, so that might ring a few bells for some. (Not me though.)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

John Singleton has been removed from life support after suffering a stroke on April 17th. He was 51.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... rt-1205631
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Post by NicodemustheSage »

Well, it wasn't a big surprise. Those types of situations, lately -- Carrie Fisher, Luke Perry -- all tend to go the same way.

Seems like Generation X is now on the board, and beginning to lose its icons. It's happening faster than I might've thought, but, valar morghulis.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.