Top 100 Movie Countdown

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Top 100 Movie Countdown

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Hey everyone,

I had an idea today, since we all loved Shryke's 100 best songs countdown, and since we are all here because we love movies, how abouts we relaunch out BEST OF lists? In Countdown style. I wasn't sure if 250 or 100 or 150 was a good number so ill pick none and say 175, because 100 is too few, 150 is just that little bit we miss out and 250 might be a tad too much. Anyway, now might be a good time to re-assess your lists to prime them for proper analysis from some tough critique. Im doing mine, its got around 200, and im only about halfway through naming my favs!

I think it would be best if somebody like Shryke did the honors for this too, since he did a helluva good job last countdown, and since we all know how sporadic my visits to this site are. Anyway, im thinking: start countdown at the start of October, so that by the time the Oscars arrive, we should be getting down to our 'real' best films. Also, at the end of it all, i'd like to make an official top 250/300 list to compare to imdb, by giving No. 1 175 points, No. 2 174 pts, No. 3 173 pts and so on and add them up at the end.

What do you think?
Last edited by Ron Burgundy on September 1st, 2010, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 175 Movie Countdown

Post by numbersix »

Well I'm incapable of saying no to lists, but I think 175 is too much (plus it's a silly number to arrive at!). If we can reduce our favourite songs to 100, why not our 100 favourite movies (and there are more songs than movies in this world)?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Oh, put all that on me, would you???

Actually, it sounds like a good idea, but six is right, 175 is too large and arbitrary a number. No matter how many we choose, there will always be a few that "don't quite make the cut". I nominate 100, the same as with the music countdown (along with, quite possibly the 101-105 choices as well).

I'll consider doing it, but there are a few things I would need first:

1. Someone figure out when the Oscars are, and what date is 103 days are before that. This way, we can take a day off in the middle, and end the countdown the day BEFORE the Oscars air. I don't know if we are going to do what we did last year with our own Fantaverse awards "simulcast", but if we do, we're going to be rather busy on that night.

2. I would ask that everyone who is interested in doing this please step forward. The bad news is, you'll have to get to work on your list ASAP. The good news is, it can be submitted all at once, and at least there are no freakin' YouTube links to provide. Any changes that you want to make mid-stream can be done by a simple e-mail.

3. Along with each selection, a brief paragraph on why you love the movie so much.

4. Inclusion of a film by Friedberg/Seltzer or Uwe Boll is punishable by immediate and permanent exile from the Fantaverse, so choose carefully.
;-)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The Academy Awards are on February 27th.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

I think this is a great idea. Since we did a top 100 already some of us may have still have that list. Simply update it. If not making one only takes a week or so and another week to write the paragraph intro/reason. And we have a long time. 103 days from the Oscars will be Nov 16th or so (if I added right).
Shrykespeare wrote:Inclusion of a film by Friedberg/Seltzer or Uwe Boll is punishable by immediate and permanent exile from the Fantaverse, so choose carefully.
I concur and will personally show up to throw a water balloon at your face.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Obviously I'm in. And I agree with the 100 countdown. The Oscars are on the 27th February this year, so 103 days prior to that would be 16th November, so we do in fact have plenty of time to compile our lists. Either that or give ourselves a little more breathing space in between for Christmas, New Year etc.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

My list is posted on Facebook.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: Top 100 Movie Countdown

Post by Ron Burgundy »

What SS said, we might be able to take a few days break between Xmas and New Years and start a bit before November 16th. And fine if we do 100, i want to see 10 films that missed the cut, rather than 5, perhaps naming 2 per day til we get to 100 and then 1 per day (from No. 100 to No. 1) til the Oscars. And i dont think we should have a separate day for everyones No 1. It should all be the same day.

Im not gonna look at your list til we see it on here boosh...

Yeah Shryke, i just had to. And im gonna start call you something else, Shkhyrkyke is just to easy to mistype! Im thinking, what was your Nico name?
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Okay, I'm in.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

I'm definitely in.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Donte77 wrote:
Shrykespeare wrote:Inclusion of a film by Friedberg/Seltzer or Uwe Boll is punishable by immediate and permanent exile from the Fantaverse, so choose carefully.
I concur and will personally show up to throw a water balloon at your face.
A water balloon filled with bleach.

(I'm in, btw)
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

I am in for sure.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I have been saying I should come up with a Top 100 one of these days for AGES... so I guess it might be the time to do so... I'm in !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

You can count me in, this time i can start from beginning.

I think we should take a few days over Christmas as some of us no doubt will be travelling around that time.
"Then telephone for an axe"

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

...ok... I've got my Must See list down to 325, so why not add a hundred or so to it?

November 1st seems like a decent starting date... I may include YouTube links with mine anyways. :)
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.