Rooney Mara Cast In Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Remake

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Rooney Mara Cast In Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Remake

Post by Buscemi »

Yes, the girl that everyone hated in the Nightmare On Elm Street remake. This movie is a disaster.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/rooney- ... on-tattoo/
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: Rooney Mara Cast In Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Remake

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Ehh, it wasn't her that was bad in the movie, it was the movie itself.

I approve.

I love that scene in The Social Network trailer when she is looking at something with tears in her eyes. Random, yes.

She's a better pick than Ellen Page or ScarJo or really, any of the more popular choices.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I was wanting to see Christina Ricci in the role but I guess Hollywood thinks she's too old nowadays (she's only 29 but she's been in the industry for years). I would have also liked Noomi Rapace to return but she had no interest in coming back.

I'm starting to doubt David Fincher now. The Social Network looks bad (and it's basically a big joke on the Internet) and I don't think this remake will do the original any justice. Is he turning into another Francis Ford Coppola?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

i think you are the only one that think it looks bad. I was incredulous when I heard they were making a facebook movie, but the trailer really makes me think it could be okay, plus justin timberlake looks like this could be the best performance of his career so far, very ari gold-esque.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Here is why I think it looks bad (and will most likely be bad):

1. The concept is just a dumb idea. Making a Facebook movie (and being deadly serious in the process) is like trying to sell Jersey Shore as an actual TV show. If the target moviegoing audience wants a movie about the Internet, they will see The Virginity Hit.
2. Bad actors aplenty. Jesse Eisenberg is nothing more than a Jewish Michael Cera (he even does some of the Cera shtick in the trailer) and none of the other actors are any better. At times, the trailer feels like either an unintentional comedy or a bad Oscar-bait film.
3. Aaron Sorkin's script. Reportedly, most of the script is very far from the truth and early reviews were very unfavorable. Also, Mark Zuckerberg is supposed to be the villain despite also being the main protagonist. So are they trying to turn Zuckerberg into Tom from MySpace?

It seems as if David Fincher has forgotten what made him popular in the first place (dark thrillers and violent action films) and has decided to sell his soul in favor of making money and winning Oscars. The Social Network just looks like a soulless Hollywood attempt at Oscars and crossover appeal.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

1. It's actually a very good idea. The (proverbial) rags-to-riches tales of how a couple of college students created one of the most popular and well-used websites in the history of the internet and how their newfound money and fame turned them on each other.

2. Jesse Eisenberg may not be a great actor, but he hasn't been given a chance to show some dramatic chops in a mainstream movie yet. I know he's been in some indies but nobody has seen those. And Justin Timberlake is a talented actor, he was great in Alpha Dog and Black Snake Moan. This could definitely be the role that turns him into a pop star who dabbles in acting to a seriously taken actor. Kind of like Beyonce in Dreamgirls.

3. And nobody knows the "truth", all of the parties involved have their own version of what went down and who turned on who. I've heard the movie shows the story from different perspectives to give everyone's view equal time and to let the audience decide what they think actually happened. And I don't know how you got Zuckerberg being the villain...

This has been getting the most Oscar buzz so far this year, and most people are already thinking it'll be in the Final 10 in January. And when has David Fincher ever made a bad movie? (Alien Cubed doesn't count...)
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Script reviews have mentioned that Zuckerberg is the villain. The people who claim that Zuckerberg stole from them are apparently the good guys. Seriously.

And David Fincher's Panic Room wasn't good. But that was a for-the-money project (I think to get Zodiac made, which ended up not getting made by Sony). But since Zodiac flopped, it feels as if Fincher isn't taking risks and is only making movies for money and awards. I liked Benjamin Button (mainly due to the visual and makeup effects) but his next two movies just seem like a waste of his talent. Hopefully he returns to what he's best at soon.

As for Oscars, it will be more of a failure than a hit. This movie has no shot at Oscars and it will be further proven when the Holiday releases come (right now, I'd say 127 Hours is the favorite for Best Picture). As for buzz, Toy Story 3 and Inception (which will both get nominated) seem to be getting the most right now, with buzz for Black Swan building.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Banks, there is a sort of truth, in that zuckerberg didn't steal the direct idea, and the case of idea theft is actually going nowhere. But I agree with Boosch, I just don't see a story in such a movie besides a typical can't-handle-success meets courtroom battle story. Even sorkin's self-aware writing can't save this one. I thought the trailer was hilarious too.

I have heard no Oscar buzz about The Social Network, I can't see it winning any awards unless it gets a script nom, and who wants to see a move about Facebook? It'll be lucky to break 40 mil (and Fincher's Benjamin Button was one of the worst films of that year).

As for Dragon Tatoo, I think it could be good although word about the original is that it's not particulary interesting or exciting. But I'm glad Ricci wasn't cast. Not because she's too old, but has she ever been good in anything?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The Addams Family
The Opposite Of Sex
Buffalo '66
Black Snake Moan
Penelope

And they are definitely others that I'm forgetting.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Forgot about Buffalo 66, but you can discard the others. She's a cartoon in Black Snake Moan and a caricature in Opposite of Sex.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

This just in: Christopher Plummer has been cast as Henrik Vanger, the man who hires Mikael Blomqvist (Daniel Craig) to solve his niece's murder/disappearance. I like that choice, though I think Max Von Sydow might have been better.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Since Von Sydow actually is Swedish?