Must See Movies

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Must See Movies

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ok, since i have too many little notes on the back of various bits of paper, whether they are flying around my messy room or hidden in the depths of my wallet or stuck between that old Lord of the Rings book as a bookmark, i have decided to post a brief (but hopefully will get bigger) MUST SEE LIST of the films that i simply must see.

Anyone is welcome to post their must see lists here too, as im bound to look them up and maybe add them to my list. No matter how long, though mine might be quite big, ill try to cut it down to MUST SEE now and MUST SEE eventually

And even more welcome is the comments on the must see films that i have put up, as id like to watch them from best to worst (but hopefully they are all good). And remember this is only the ones i can remember (and ive had a few drinks watching Ivory Coast V Portugal), so please feel free to let me know which ones i must add, especially if its by the same director or lead performer.

Just remember this is a MUST SEE list, not a meh, hmm yeah its ok list.

Anyway here we go....

M.Butterfly
The Dead Zone
eXistenZ
Dead Ringers
Spider
A Fistful of Dynamite
My Name Is Nobody
Paths of Glory
Barry Lyndon (high priority)
The Conversation
(i just got the DVD)
Rosemary's Baby
Picnic At Hanging Rock
Candy
Psycho
(high priority)
The Birds
Citizen Kane
(watched first 30mins of)
The Thing (second half of film only, will watch the rest very soon)
Opening Night
Inception
(obviously not just yet)
Love Streams
The Dirty Dozen
8 and a 1/2
Some Like It Hot
The General
City Lights
(low priority)
Ran
Rashomon
(watched first half of, very aware i need to see the rest)
The Searchers (not sure why, since i dont really like John Wayne)
The Wild Bunch
Casablanca
Yojimbo
M
(been on the list for a long time)
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
The Seventh Seal
ANCHORMAN 2!!!!!!
(will it ever happen?!)
Arrested Development (i think this will happen)
Flesh+Blood
Soldier of Orange
The Hitcher
Fanny and Alexander
The Field
Carravaggio
(seen first 30mins)
Lawrence Of Arabia
Pickpocket

Duck Soup
The Expendables
(offcourse)
In the Realm of the Senses (erotic eh)
The Evil Dead
A Nightmare on Elm Street
(cant remember at all)
Eraserhead (ive got it on my computer, but just not sure, still a high priority)
Kramer Vs Kramer
Spartacus
Lock Up
Stalker
(high priority)
Mad Dog and Glory
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
Mean Streets
To Kill a Mockingbird

OK, this list is getting long, i need some help here on what i should watch, but ive forgotten many (forgotten) 80's action flicks, dont care if they are like Nighthawks, that was ok and 90's drama. Please add if you will.

Now to watch The Two Towers, Casablanca and Brazil vs DPR Korea!
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Re: Must See Movies

Post by W »

Here's a tip... IMDb has an extremely easy "must see" section. Just sign up for a free membership, go to the film page, then go to the page of the film you want to add and on the left it says "add to my movies" when you're done check all of them and move them to "must see". You can easily add new movies and when you see the film, you can easily rate it (if you want), and then throw it in the recycle bin (which I purge after I put the ratings on here). Anyways, my list has 353 titles on it including every best picture winner and IMDb top 250 film as well as films I want to see/seem necessary to watch. Sometimes films just get deleted because I don't want to watch them anymore. Anyways, here it is:

http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=42385693

I've always thought of making a "Fantaverse Must See" list...

Right now, I've got my choice of these to watch next (suggestions which should be first?):

A Boy and His Dog
Airplane
Alice in Wonderland
Alien*
Aliens
Amadeus
Animal House
Boiler Room
Battle Royale
Brokeback Mountain
Casablanca
Crazy Heart
Drag Me to Hell
FFVII: Advent Children
Funny People
French Connection
Harry Potter: HBP
How to Train Your Dragon
In Bruges
Indy 1, 2, 3*
LA Confidential
Lawrence of Arabia (this one and Paths of Glory
LVK
Man on Wire
Monty Python and the Holy Grail*
Moon
Observe and Report
Once Upon a Time in America
Paths of Glory
Percy Jackson
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Pretty in Pink
Requiem for a Dream
Romper Stomper
Sherlock Holmes
Shutter Island
Sin City
Sixteen Candles
Sky Captain
Snatch
Spirited Away
The Assassination of Jesse James
The Deer Hunter
The Great Escape
The Thing
When Harry Met Sally
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Good to see someone likes the idea anyway. I might not be the most qualified to answer what is best first W, but heres some from your list that i would recommend. And thanks for the tip, i haven't been a user on imdb for about 3 years, and i had a my movies list then and stuff but just didn't think it would help me out, maybe ill give it another go (since im on the net most days now).

Wow, you if haven't seen Indy 1, 2, 3 that would be a good place to start, Indy 4 is just a total wreck compared.

Heres some more:

Boiler Room - Vin Diesel in a drama, he actually pulls it off, and Giovanni Ribisi does well as the lead.
Alien/s- Classic eerie Sci-Fi, great cast and well directed by two of the giants of today, R. Scott and J. Cameron
In Bruges- I thought most people on the fantaverse would have seen this, after all the good comments i had to see it on a bad online stream, im so thankful for those comments, it still needs a re-watch though, its that good, great blend of action/drama and dark humor. 4th
LA Confidential-Just awesome, great drama featuring two aussies in the lead, a real good crime period piece (the 50s that is) with great suspense, and a terrific cast. 1st
Spirited Away - Just one of the best cartoon movies ever, a great story. 3rd
Sin City- Wow, im now what leestu said of myself a while back, just jealous of all these great movies that you haven't got to see yet, this is just great, its like a comic, but dark, and not like The Dark Knight but like real dark, with witty characters and some over the top action, it really is a feast for your eyes. Bruce Willis and Mickey Rourke are just awesome! Watch this one second after LA Confidential.
And one more, im getting too jealous here...2nd
Snatch- Great Guy Ritchie Flick, action, comedy, drama, more comedy and action, this one comes together like Pulp Fiction, but in a Pommy way. Brad Pitts good and Turkish (Jason Statham) has the role of his career. 5th

The thing is, i dont want to make you get way too high expectations with these, but as you haven't seen em yet that shouldn't be too bad, just see what everyone else says and you cant be so disappointed. Nice list W.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I forgot to put the disclaimer that * meant a rewatch because I haven't seen them since I was a kid... whoops. That's the Indy trilogy, Alien, and The Holy Grail...

My bad.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Oh man, I might list my list, but I have about 800 on my netflix queue, so maybe not

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Netflix is ordered, so instead of posting 800, you could post 1-100 or 1-50 or something...

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Oh God, my must see is way too long.

At the top though are the following:

Star Wars Episode 1-6
LOTR Trilogy
The Godfather 1 & 2
Alien/Aliens/Alien Resurrection
Indiana Jones 1-3
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

wow i cant believe you havent seen any of those. only ones i haven't seen from those are godfather trilogy and Aliens

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Yeah thats amazing that you haven't watched any Star Wars, whats been holding you up man?

And Lord of the Rings too! I wish i hadn't seen any of them, they practically changed my life!

Yeah, my list could be longer, i haven't even included any French films, but i can add Les Diaboliques to that. Chien any more? (i lost that list you gave me with all those french must sees)

But still anyone is free to put up at least the high priority must see's up here

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

For "must see," you may want to make sure you've seen, say the top 25 here: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top