What Movies Are Y'All Watching for Halloween?

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

What Movies Are Y'All Watching for Halloween?

Post by numbersix »

Well, folks, it's the one week of the year in which I give a crap about horror flicks. So far the other-half and I have watched Thirst, the Korean vampire flick, as well as Lost Highway (although that's a purely psychological film). On our list is The Thing (82 version of course), The Last Broadcast, and then on Halloween day Paranormal Activity and Drag Me To Hell.

Just wondering if you guys have any recommendations? We like zombie flicks, but have seen the major ones (all of Romero's Dead films, even the awful Diary of the Dead, the 28... Later films, etc). Slasher/seriel killer films don't have much effect on us. We've seen the Japanese Ring films, Blair Witch, etc, and would like something similar. Something truly scary or freaky.

W
Norman Bates

Re: What Movies Are Y'All Watching for Halloween?

Post by W »

A little off topic... Last year I was in Family Video at Halloweentime and overheard a conversation that went something like this:

"Which Frankenstein should we get?"
"Well, there's Frankenstein... Son of Frankenstein....... Hey, there's Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Let's get that one."
"Yeah, she did a good job with that one."
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

I just got the 1931 Lugosi Dracula for this weekend.

A movie I have heard great things about but haven't seen is I, Zombie.

The Exorcist and the original TCM are always good choices as is Halloween and The Shining.

Cronenberg's The Brood is creepy shit.

Salem's Lot is still a fantastic scary vampire movie (one of the few).

Mothman Prophecies is a very overlooked horror movie.

Bug is one of the freakiest movies I have ever seen.

Frailty is superb and deserves mention in horror lore.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

W wrote:A little off topic... Last year I was in Family Video at Halloweentime and overheard a conversation that went something like this:

"Well, there's Frankenstein... Son of Frankenstein....... Hey, there's Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Let's get that one."
I hate people.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

when you watch Drag Me to Hell, be sure to watch the theatrical cut.. the so-called "director's cut" was--i believe--made purely for the sake of marketing and dvd sales.. it really doesn't add anything.. and, worse, it actually detracts from the movie in a couple spots..

rent [REC] from Netflix if you haven't seen it yet..

and, from what I can think of at the moment, a near-exhaustive list of Halloween-worthy horror movies:

John Carpenter's Halloween, The Thing, They Live, In the Mouth of Madness, Cigarette Burns
Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eyes, The Serpent and the Rainbow, Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street
George Romero's Martin, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead
Stuart Gordon's Reanimator, Dagon, The Black Cat, Dolls, From Beyond, Dreams in the Witch House
Tobe Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Poltergeist
Sam Raimi's Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness, Drag Me to Hell
Peter Jackson's Dead Alive, The Frighteners, Bad Taste

The Omen (1976)
Zombie (1979)
The Changeling (1980)
The Shining (1980)
An American Werewolf in London (1981)
Basket Case (1982)
Of Unknown Origin (1983)
April Fool's Day (1986)
The Gate (1987)
Near Dark (1987)
Vampire's Kiss (1988)
Event Horizon (1997)
The Ninth Gate (1999)
The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Frailty (2001)
The Others (2001)
Cabin Fever (2002)
The Host (2006)
Severance (2006)
Sunshine (2007)
The Orphanage (2007)

(okay, a lot of these aren't pure "horror".. some of them blend comedy, action, or sci-fi.. nonetheless, they'll all make for fun Halloween-themed viewings)

Last edited by NSpan on October 27th, 2009, 4:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I'm waiting for Trick r Treat from Netfilx. should be here soon. I saw Drag me to hell last week and it wasnt scary or funny, so i was disappointed, And i'm going to watch The Exorcist on instant play

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Garfield's Halloween Adventure
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Surprised nobody mentioned Teeth yet.

Surely, there's nothing scarier than a vagina that can attack you.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

undeadmonkey wrote:I'm waiting for Trick r Treat from Netfilx. should be here soon. I saw Drag me to hell last week and it wasnt scary or funny, so i was disappointed, And i'm going to watch The Exorcist on instant play
That one was pretty good. People should give it a chance, especially around Halloween time.
---

As for other titles:

- The Devils Backbone
- Frailty (agree with Donte on this one)
- REC (agree with Nspan on this one)
- The Descent
- The Orphanage
- Let the Right One In
- The Mothman Prophecies
- A Tale of Two Sisters
- The Eye
- Audition (does this count?)
- Danika (more thriller than horror, but I think it is severely underrated)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

W, that's depressing. Funny, but depressing

Donte, I've heard interesting things about Bug (apparently it's an allegory relating to the situatin in Iraq???), so might check that out.

Thanks for the comprehensive list, NSpan, I'll look into some of those. I've seen REC and I found it pretty stupid (repetitive, poor characters, and why do people keep turning their back on infected people- it's the least intuitive thing a person would do, panicked or not) EXCEPT for the very freaking ending in the apartment. And the whole religious aspect was different. Might check out more Carpenter stuff, as I like The Thing, and even Prince of Darkness was cool in some ways.

Banks, Teeth is only effective if you're a guy. Ouch!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Thanks for the comprehensive list, NSpan, I'll look into some of those. I've seen REC and I found it pretty stupid (repetitive, poor characters, and why do people keep turning their back on infected people- it's the least intuitive thing a person would do, panicked or not) EXCEPT for the very freaking ending in the apartment.
you're right: [REC] is only worth watching for the finale... but, man, what a finale

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

Donte77 wrote:
W wrote:A little off topic... Last year I was in Family Video at Halloweentime and overheard a conversation that went something like this:

I hate people.

Ha!

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

I too want to check out Bug. The Mist was actually really good.

The other day, I saw An American Crime. If you want to see how horrific humans can be to each other, this would be a good one. People are worse than any monsters...

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

with respect to whomever brought it up first--i think watching Bug is not unlike sitting through a particularly BAD local theater production. the upside, i suppose, is that the actors on the DVD can't hear the moans and groans

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

I really don't watch alot of horror movies so everyone has already covered all of the ones I like or have watched in recent years pretty much, just lately I checked out Butterfly Effect 2 and The Jacket, neither of which really seem Haloween appropriate. Personally, there is a film no one has mentioned yet that I have been juggling in my netflix list for a long time due to the genre, but overall has rave reviews, so I plan to finally watch it - Misery. There is also the old standby, the first of my favorite horror series, Final Destination.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte