Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2024

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
Neo

Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2024

Post by transformers2 »

The start of summer movie season is a mere 3 days away. What is everybody looking forward to watching?

10.Deadpool and Wolverine:
Letting (a version of) Hugh Jackman's Wolverine play around in Deadpool's over-the-top meta sandbox is appealing enough for me to overlook the potential for disaster that exists with an MCU movie that completed at least a fair amount of its filming during the writer's strike.

9.Twisters:
While I was far too young when Twister was released to have any nostalgic feelings for it, Lee Issac Chung's presence in the director's chair and a cast full of talented rising stars that are overflowing with charisma playing the storm chasers has me convinced this could be a quality piece of old-fashioned summer popcorn entertainment.

8.The Bikeriders:
This one played very well on the festival circuit and it's always a treat to watch Tom Hardy pull out one of the weirdest fucking accents that has ever graced the human ear.

7.Kill:
The reigning TIFF Midnight Madness Audience Award Runner-Up made waves by breaking the mold for Indian action cinema by featuring brutal, grounded fight choreography and taking place in a single setting (a moving train). The flood of comparisons to The Raid it received only adds to its considerable appeal.

6.A Quiet Place: Day One:
Venturing back to the beginning of the alien invasion in the packed environment of New York City offers up a great opportunity to create a different brand of suffocating tension in the Quiet Place universe. Plus, the opportunity to see Lupita Ny'ongo get an all-too-rare lead role and Michael Sarnoski direct a huge franchise movie after showing off his immense potential as a filmmaker with Pig is really cool.

5.Kinds of Kindness:
Yorgos Lanthimos reuniting with his longtime writing partner Efthismis Fillippou means that the Greek auteur is likely back on his real sicko shit after a brief 2-film venture into the realm of slightly less weird, cynical fare. Can't wait to see what madness he cooks up here with a fearless group of incredible actors including Emma Stone, Jesse Plemons, Wilem Dafoe, Margaret Qualley and Hong Chau at his disposal.

4.Hit Man:
Speaking of reunions, Richard Linklater and Glen Powell getting back together for a noir comedy about a nerdy cop who poses as a hitman whose long run of successful undercover operations is challenged when he falls for a woman (Adira Arjona) who wants to hire him to kill her husband is an incredible development. It's a real shame that it ended up at Netflix after earning raves on the festival circuit last fall, but that's just the nature of the industry now unfortunately.

3.MaXXXine:
Both prior entries of Ti West's X franchise are terrific and an 80's-set whodunit slasher that puts a team of weirdo character actors around returning star Mia Goth feels like it could be a great way to cap off this trilogy.

2.The Fall Guy:
An action romcom that doubles as an ode to stunt performers anchored by two of the most magnetic, naturally funny people working in Hollywood right now opening the summer season just feels right. All of the enthusiastic reviews from sources that typically don't go gaga over the work of David Leitch has only upped my already high anticipation for it.

1.Bad Boys: Ride or Die:
Bad Boys for Life proved that Will Smith and Martin Lawerence are still an all-time buddy duo and Belgian-Moroccan duo Adil El Arbi and Billal Fallah possessed the high-octane degenerate swagger to fill Michael Bay's uniquely depraved shoes. The trailer for Ride or Die indicates that all parties are continuing to cook with gas, and I can't wait to see what the end result is at the beginning of June.

Also Eager to Watch:
I Saw the TV Glow
Babes
The Watchers
Daddio
Sing Sing
Didi
My Old Ass
Trap
Alien: Romulus
Blink Twice
The Crow
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2024

Post by numbersix »

Seen and Liked: Evil Does Not Exist

Maybes: Furiosa, Robot Dreams, Didi, The Fire Inside, My Old Ass, Babes

10: Alien: Romulus
I know, it's going to suck. Damn my nostalgic love for this utterly ruined franchise, just take my money and stop laughing.

9: Tuesday
Produced by a colleague of mine, and I read the script ages ago (and never thought it was going to get made)

8: Cuckoo
Seems like a pretty fun horror film to me.

7: I Saw the TV Glow
I enjoyed We're All Going to the Worlds Fair for its disorienting atmosphere, and hoping this will be a bigger, more understandable film

6: Inside Out 2
It's Pixar, and yeah they're not as good as they used to be, but the first Inside Out is a great film, so count me in.

5: Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
I love the new trilogy, and I'm not sure if this is necessary, but I'm going to watch it and find out.

4: The Bikeriders
You don't see films like this anymore, inspired by the open road, bikers, and a sense of the 50s and 60s.

3: Kneecap
I love the script, and really wanted to be involved in this. So glad it's done so well. Got tickets to see a preview of it next month.

2: A Quiet Place: Day One
The first two were decent, and this comes from the director of Pig, so I'm 100% in.

1: Kinds of Kindness
It's Yorgos Lanthimos. He delivered with his last few films. I have to see this.

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

I saw a trailer for I Saw the TV Glow before The People's Joker and it basically looks like someone's Are You Afraid of the Dark? fan film. If A24 hadn't produced it, I don't think it wouldn't be getting the attention it's getting.

Meanwhile, I've already seen Robot Dreams and I'd be surprised if any movie this summer topped it.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Number one for me is definitely Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga - I doubt it will be as good as Fury Road, but that's an incredibly high bar to surpass.

This also looks like a really good summer for horror - I Saw The TV Glow, The Watchers, MaXXXine, Longlegs, and Cuckoo all look promising, as well as thrillers/action-horror like A Quiet Place: Day One, Trap, Alien: Romulus, and Blink Twice that look good as well.

On the arthouse scene (besides the horror titles), Robot Dreams, Kinds Of Kindness, Kill, Sing Sing, and My Old Ass all sound good. I am actually visiting California around the time Kinds Of Kindness is coming out, so I will see what it's like to see a major arthouse release in its limited opening.

I didn't realize how excited I am for the summer movies until now :lol: (also looking forward to Babes, The Bikeriders, and - though the trailer didn't do much for me - Fly Me To The Moon).

Will likely also see -

The Fall Guy
Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes
The Strangers: Chapter One
The Garfield Movie
Inside Out 2
Janet Planet
Despicable Me 4
Twisters
Deadpool And Wolverine
DIdi
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

I haven't done one of these "most anticipated" lists in a while, but fuck it, let's give it a go.

1. Bad Boys: Ride or Die
2. Deadpool & Wolverine
3. A Quiet Place: Day One
4. Alien: Romulus
5. Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
6. Furiosa
7. Twisters

Also plan on seeing at some point:
The Fall Guy
The Garfield Movie
Hit Man
Inside Out 2
The Watchers
The Bikeriders
Despicable Me 4
MaXXXine (honestly, I still need to catch up on the other 2)
Trap

Might watch:
IF
I Saw the TV Glow
Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F
Robot Dreams
Longlegs
Kill
Kinds of Kindness
Last edited by StarLord123 on April 29th, 2024, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I have to say, Bad Boys For Life is one of the worst films I've seen in the last few years. Silly, poorly directed action, and Smith and Lawrence say the film's title every second scene.

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

You obviously didn't see The Tax Collector, Six. That was probably the worst action film of 2020.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
April 29th, 2024, 3:58 pm
I have to say, Bad Boys For Life is one of the worst films I've seen in the last few years. Silly, poorly directed action, and Smith and Lawrence say the film's title every second scene.
Damn, the lockdown really had you slumming it on the entertainment front huh pal?
Screen203 wrote:
April 29th, 2024, 2:56 pm
Number one for me is definitely Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga - I doubt it will be as good as Fury Road, but that's an incredibly high bar to surpass.

This also looks like a really good summer for horror - I Saw The TV Glow, The Watchers, MaXXXine, Longlegs, and Cuckoo all look promising, as well as thrillers/action-horror like A Quiet Place: Day One, Trap, Alien: Romulus, and Blink Twice that look good as well.

On the arthouse scene (besides the horror titles), Robot Dreams, Kinds Of Kindness, Kill, Sing Sing, and My Old Ass all sound good. I am actually visiting California around the time Kinds Of Kindness is coming out, so I will see what it's like to see a major arthouse release in its limited opening.

I didn't realize how excited I am for the summer movies until now :lol: (also looking forward to Babes, The Bikeriders, and - though the trailer didn't do much for me - Fly Me To The Moon).

Will likely also see -

The Fall Guy
Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes
The Strangers: Chapter One
The Garfield Movie
Inside Out 2
Janet Planet
Despicable Me 4
Twisters
Deadpool And Wolverine
DIdi
Honestly, I had a similar revelation a couple weeks ago. There's quietly quite a bit of dynamism among this slate, which is a pleasant surprise for the summer immediately after a massive labor disruption in the industry.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

You two are filmbros and the industry is only making movies for people like you now. No wonder why you're so excited.