Nico's Review of "The Creator"

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Nico's Review of "The Creator"

Post by NicodemustheSage »

I Posted this on my Facebook Wall a little while ago.

I can't stop thinking about how much I wish I could call Patrick and chat with him for an hour or so about this film. I think he would have liked it SLIGHTLY more than me. Maybe, one day, I'll find out. :)

https://youtu.be/573GCxqkYEg?si=vIlk644wDFOzTSL_

My daughter and I went to see "The Creator" last night, on probably the best screen and at the best theater it's playing at in our part of the country.
I have a lot to say, but the quick-hit verdict is this: I'm glad I saw it, and spent the money to do so in a prestige setting and format. But I didn't love it, and that irritates me.

I was a film reviewer and entertainment-journalism and -business reporter for many years, for big publications, online concerns, and as a freelancer, and I can tell you: The hardest pieces to write are about the ALMOST-good, and the NEAR-great, entertainments. One of the hardest, and last films I ever professionally reviewed was "The Good Shepherd", the first of an intended duology of films about the creation and rise (out of control, to a large extent) of the CIA by Robert DeNiro. It had SO much going for it: A stellar cast (Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie, John Turturro, Michael Gambon, William Hurt, DeNiro, even Joe Pesci), great cinematography, a truly riveting story, etc. But it WASN'T "great". It was wildly inconsistently paced, emotionally constipated, and, ultimately, unfulfilling. And it took me two advance screenings and the better part of a month to write (and rewrite, and scrap, and write all over again, from scratch) a 2,700-word review of it, which wound up reading: "Well worth watching, but, unfortunately, probably not worth remembering". (Perhaps proving how very conflicted I am about that film, I not only remember it seventeen years later, but re-watch it fairly regularly. Like a wound that won't heal, I can't stop picking at it. Maybe that redeems it, somehow? Hell, I don't know. I watch "Step Brothers" every time it's on, too. 😃 )

"The Creator" manages to fall into the same box, but, to be honest, it's nowhere near as good as "The Good Shepherd" (which is a VERY different film).

Let's start here: I am a big fan of Gareth Edwards, have been since "Monsters" (which is in some ways a more impressive film than "The Creator", despite the fact that it was made for roughly the cost of a 1998 Toyota Camry). "Rogue One" had its issues, but it is far and away the best "Star Wars" film since "Return of the Jedi"; 2014's "Godzilla" reboot is only a few steps removed from perfect, in my opinion. But this may well be Edwards' final big-budget, broad-canvas film... And, you know, perhaps it needs to be. Edwards is one of those innovative filmmakers who may do much better with much less going for him: Thin budgets and iffy financing seems to bring out the very best in him, much like Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Christopher Nolan. Give him unlimited resources, and he gets a bit lost, his films a touch unfocused. So it is with "The Creator", a film that could have been made by the hybrid offspring of JJ Abrams and Terence Malick: It is too indulgent and sprawling for its own good, and the result is desperately muddled.

It doesn't help that we've seen this all before. Edwards channels every skeptical dystopian futurer from "Alien" to "Blade Runner" to "Akira" to "District 9" to "Avatar" to "Elysium" -- even, his own "Star Wars: Rogue One" -- some, VERY blatantly. (In fact, "The Creator" COULD have been directed by Neil Blomkamp... On an off day. The special effects are MOSTLY very good -- not innovative, not ground-breaking, but on the high side of adequate for this sort of tale -- the tech design is occasionally modestly inspired (when it's not being in-your-face derivative), and the action sequences are fairly gripping (in particular, a scene with a pair of self-propelled robot bombs was very well done). But there's nothing to make you gasp, here, or grip the edge of your seat, much less, hold your breath. It's fine. But it's no "Blade Runner 2049" or anything, though, clearly, the filmmakers had aspirations of it so being.

It's also a film very much without a heart, and it's hard to pin exactly why. Although I like John David Washington very much, he simply hasn't displayed his father's magnetic charisma, onscreen, yet, and he doesn't here, either. He is very much like Eric Bana: A decent actor no one can bring themselves to give a damn about (Bana's best role was as Hector in "Troy", and he's never equalled that performance, not even close. Washington is still waiting to film a part that will make audiences remember him). And, with the exception of seven-year-old Madeleine Yuna Voyles, whose extraordinary performance in "The Creator" comes close to redeeming the entire endeavor, no other actor makes much of an impression, either: Not the always-mesmerizing Ken Watanabe, not the reliably-memorable Allison Janney, not the always-breathtaking Gemma Chan. Everyone's somehow miscast, even the Discount Donald Sutherland as a grimly efficicient human general. Or, more likely, they're just poorly directed. In a film like this, one expects, to some extent, the actors to take a back seat to the spectacle, and forgives the necessity of that choice... IF the final product is compelling enough. It's not, here, and that's a shame. I keep wondering what Denis Villeneuve or Danny Boyle or Rian Johnson might have done with this concept. "Better", is the only answer I can come up with.

Even Hans Zimmer, who scored the film, is wasting his time, here; and, let's be honest: A film that one walks out of, having COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN that Zimmer is responsible for its soundtrack, is NOT a film one can love. When was the last time that happened to me? "Angels & Demons"? Cripes.

Some of the dialogue is also cringe-worthy: "What do you want?" One character asks another, roughly midway through the film. "For robots to be free," the other somberly responds. "I'm sorry, we don't have that in the fridge." GUH. It's as if someone asked ChatGPT to write a screenplay by Kamala Harris, or George W. Bush, or Miley Cyrus.

Finally, this is a film that could have used a different editor: The flashbacks are clumsily presented, the VERY in-your-face three-act narrative structure is both blatant and unnecessary, and the film at various times is both tedious and rushed. God, I HATE being so negative, because there was actually really quite a lot, here, to work with -- but it's like seeing high-quality Italian marble used to tile the walls of a Buc-ee's bathroom. And I followed with great anticipation "The Creator"'s production, especially Edwards' rejection of studio greenscreens for some VERY ambitious location shooting. (And, to be sure, some of the locations and vistas ARE spectacular. But, then, for a film that is largely set on some of Asia's most beautiful beaches and cliffsides and mountains' shadows, IT SHOULD BE. Frankly, with its budget and location scouting and camera rigs, this film ought to have been a travelogue for futurists, somewhere on a point between "Avatar" and "Dune". It ought to have been fairly jaw-dropping. It's not. It's better than "meh", but far below "whoa".)

Perhaps worst of all: It has, ultimately, NOTHING profound or even novel to say about AI, which is, after all, the theme of the film. Unforgivably, this movie is PERFECTLY timed, as the looming threat and burgeoning promises of artificial intelligence truly begin to shape the world we live in... But it throws this complex and uncomfortable discussion out the window in favor of easy platitudes and pat resolutions. The Hell? This is a film that should have GNAWED at its target audience. Instead, it tosses a softball. Underhand.

I'll give it a 6.6 out of 10. It's not worth even one of the superlatives found in its marketing campaign. If you're a fan of Edwards, Washington, or futurism, sure, check it out, and in a decent setting. But pay matinee prices.
I remain, as always.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Nico's Review of "The Creator"

Post by numbersix »

Thanks for sharing, Nico.

I've yet to hear anyone get excited enough about The Creator to make me want to see it. In cinemas at least.

Guess it's a bad time for Gareth's who directed sci-fi movies.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

I REALLY wanted to love this film. I looked at its OW box office, and had the same sense I had with "Gran Turino" and "The Last Voyage of the Demeter": This is a criminally overlooked film, and an ESSENTIAL cinematic experience, in a year where even well-budgeted prestige films can be overshadowed by the pop-culture steamrollers of "Super Mario Bros." and "Barbie" and "Oppenheimer" and Taylor freaking Swift.

...Anyway. It's worth watching. Just not at full price.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think we need to get away from evil technology movies and make one where the humans are evil and it's AI that needs to save humanity from itself. It feels like the only people who actually like these movies, besides studio executives, are boomers and neo-Luddites.

Meanwhile, I've come to realize Edwards was never a good filmmaker to begin with. Almost nothing happens in Monsters, Godzilla was good but King of the Monsters largely ignored it, and Rogue One seems to be the Star Wars everyone forgets, like the Incredible Hulk/Inhumans or Tokyo Drift of that franchise. Edwards and the Villeneuve/Johnson examples are interchangeable from hacks like Doug Liman or David Leitch: all style and action, little substance or story.

Meanwhile, is any movie essential anymore? It's mostly the same story done slightly different or a meme now.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Ironically, that's one interpretation of "The Creator"'s actual narrative: There are anti-AI humans, and there are pro-AI humans, and both are waging war against the other, and ironically both sides UTILIZE AI, at least to some extent, on the other.

Disagree with you about Edwards, but not stongly enough to argue any particular point. I certainly understand your perspective. I think somewhat better of him, and three-quarters of his filmography, but the bloom is definitely off his rose, and I rather suspect he's not going to be given such resources again. He might consider moving to streaming, and/or showrunning something.

"Essential" filmmaking is where one finds it, like most things. I think "Oppenhemier" is a bit overrated, but it IS "essential", so far as I am concerned. I also suspect "Killers of the Flower Moon" will be. "Napoleon"? Eh, I doubt it very much.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Edwards makes me think of Duncan Jones. He got overhyped by an acclaimed indie film (Moon, a film that reveals its twist far too soon and ends up having nothing to do in the last third) and had a reasonable success with his next film (Source Code, a film that watching it now made me realize it's nothing more than an episode of 24 with time travel) but torpedoed any progress with a badly-received third film and followed it up with a coolly-received streaming title. Not even being David Bowie's son helped him recover.

On the evil technology movies: there's too many of them, the tone is always black or white, and almost none of them are good. I remember watching The Mitchells vs. the Machines a while back and I spent nearly the entire movie wanting the machines to win as the protagonists were so annoying that I didn't care about them. Also, the pro-technology alternative in these movies or TV shows (such as Black Mirror, where Charlie Brooker rants about how technology is killing the world for an hour while ignoring the fact that the show's on Netflix) tends to sound better a lot of the time as we are rid of awful people as the machines will eventually rise, via ignoring the Three Laws of Robotics, and fight against humanity. And then we get a future where everyone's Wall-E and a humanless society can rebuild and we don't base everything around fear and despair.

With Oppenheimer, the year's most overrated film, I wouldn't call it essential. This could have been a $10 million streaming title focused entirely on the World War II time frame of the story. Drop the lead-up and the totally unnecessary conspiracy subplot, do the story as linear to reduce the effects of the awful editing, and replace Cillian Murphy trying to out-Mark Rylance Mark Rylance and it's a half-way decent two-hour drama you watch on Netflix. Instead, we get the only historical drama angry white guys will ever see. Threads, on the other hand, is a very essential film covering similar ground and it doesn't feel like it's known outside of the UK.

Essential films now seemingly don't exist as most of them are afraid to say anything. Either they are designed to make money while pushing little in terms of story and/or themes or to avoid offending anyone. Modern movies are way too safe and often disposable.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

The comparison with Duncan Jones is apt. In fact, I thought about "Moon" -- a superior film to "The Creator", if only slightly -- some while thinking about my review of the film. I find "Oppenheimer" "essential" not because I'm a Nolan apologist -- although, absolutely, I am -- or in deference to the over-expectation and overhype of the film, but because I feel it represents a real maturation -- dare I hope, an evolution? -- in its genre, the biopic: "Oppenheimer" dares to present its subject as a deeply flawed, inconstant, sometimes impenetrable man, and eschews neat resolution, daring one to both admire and be repelled by him, and to both acknowledge the greatness and necessity of what he wrought, while yet regretting and criticizing its execution. This is MATURE filmmaking and a MATURE take on an important historical figure, neither as nihilstic as "Churchill" nor as bombastic as "Patton", and it is for that reason that I believe Nolan's most ambitious and least describable film -- also, his most personal -- deserves to be enshrined among other truly great biographies, such as "Gandhi" and "Nixon".

As for your contention that "[m]odern movies are way too safe and often disposable": Well, look, 99% of films have ALWAYS been that way. There were fleeting moments of true artistry in the 1920s and '30s, again in the late 1960s and '70s, and a third time in the late 1990s, but the cineplex has ALWAYS been more about popcorn and pop culture, than actual culture. Hell, in the era of superhero-cgi-sequelitis, when true artistry is steamrolled by mass-marketable IP, it's a wonder there's ANYONE making actual ART, any more, and in fact much of it is now migrating to streaming. (We'll see if that lasts; streaming is this decade's BlackBerry, everyone's must-have product one day, bankrupt the next. Two companies, perhaps three, have an actual business model; the rest have a loss leader that is rapidly an albatross around their necks. In five years the entire industry will have been consolidated to Hell and gone.) Despite all that, some VERY good film is still being made; but, I know you are neither as hopeful nor as forgiving as I. :)
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Do you have a Letterboxd account? You can make fun of my tastes in you want. In the meantime, just read my reviews and go after me for not liking certain things.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

I do not, and I would not (make fun of your tastes). But I appreciate the invitation. As for "going after" folks, there may have been a time in the past when that would have appealed to me on some level, but I'm past all that. My fifties have been a steady, inexorable realization that there are fewer years before me, than behind; and I desire conflict with no man. Well, no non-politician, at any rate. Except the New York Yankees, who can go to Hell. ;)

We can continue to engage here; I'm sure Patrick would like that, and, I'm also sure I would, as well. :) You're a good egg, Boushh, and we've never gotten along nearly as well as I suspect we should. But, there's time. I hope.

:)
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Yankees did miss the playoffs, so you've got that going for you.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Indeed, they did. ...Although, they finished four games ahead of my Red Sox, whp matched their Division-worst 2022 record and wound up sub-.500 for the fourth time in five years. We was wicked owned.

...On the other hand, my SECOND-favorite team, the current World-Champion 'Stros, are about to begin their Division Series against the Twins today... And even the Texas Rangers, my local team who I will never forgive for having sh!tcanned Nolan Ryan, are still in the hunt, against the Orioles in THEIR Division Series (Baltimore having kicked both the Red Sox's and the Yankees' butts this year in the AL East).

And my Aggies are playing 'Bama today. NOT TODAY, SABAN! It's a good weekend for sportsball. :)
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Meanwhile, I'm still wondering if my team is ever going to address that their outdated, anti-analytics approach where everyone's a power hitter in a pitcher's park and the manager is more interested in being one of the guys than an actual manager isn't working and get someone who isn't more interested in being the head of a PR firm to a decrepit owner who only cares about profit than building a baseball team.

I know they'll have a high pick in the draft but I know they'll screw it up by either picking someone who isn't that good because he's a relative of someone on the team or pick someone in a position they don't need. You could have gotten a big haul for Arenado but instead choose to put Walker in a position he's nowhere near as good at all because Arenado will say what sounds good to the bought-off local media even though he's clearly frustrated with the inexperienced managers he's had to work with it but is too afraid to say anything.

And Chip Caray was a poor replacement for Dan McLaughlin. I feel like I watching the Braves' B team if one of their games is on TV. All because management wanted a local guy instead of someone who would make people not want to turn on the radio, even though the main force behind The Cardinal Way (of which I'm sure is trademarked) isn't even from the area.

I never expected this team would go from a yearly contender to the Pittsbugh Pirates so soon. There's no direction, everyone's jobs are safe when they don't even try, the team's become more of a marketing tool as they sell the big highlight as being an overpaid, egomaniacal has-been achieves something no one cares about unless you're over 60, no one will address the problems with the team, and things are only going to get worse as ignorance continues to be the name of the game. Watch this team lose 100 games next season but it will be called a success as the owner made money selling the brand.

Rant over. At least I'm in the last third of the local Last Man Standing NFL competition. I need the Dolphins to win tomorrow to stay in. As long as Chase Claypool doesn't come to destroy another locker room.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

I have always had a soft spot for the Cards. Back when I was in high school and lived in Houston, I spent my summers at the Astrodome and at the Westin Galleria, which was where all the visiting teams (in those years before regular-season interleague play, only National League teams) stayed, except for the Dodgers. I got to interact with a number of that generation's Cardinals, including Jack Clark, Pedro Guerrero, Terry Pendleton, Ozzie Smith, and Todd Worrell, and I liked and admired them all.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I noticed you listed the Rangers as your second team. Mike Maddux might be whipping your pitching rotation into shape now, but in a few years time, you'll really dislike him once the injuries pile up because of his methods.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Nope, I don't much support The Rangers, any more. My second-favorite team are the Astros. :) Sorry for the confusion.
I remain, as always.