Top 30 Films of the 80's

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 30 Films of the 80's

Post by numbersix »

John, I'm happy to absorb your astute snark is you don't have time to do so. You've got a lot on your hands at the moment.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I probably wouldn't have been very snarky about a list of 80s movies anyway. It was a simpler, more innocent time, so snark wouldn't seem appropriate unless someone started picking Revenge Of The Nerds, Police Academy sequels, or Weekend At Bernie's. I don't think snark was invented until the 90s.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Spoiler alert: my top 5 consists only of Police Academy sequels.

But you'll be surprised by the order...

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

6, 5, 4, 3, 2?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

JohnErle wrote:
September 15th, 2023, 3:44 pm
I probably wouldn't have been very snarky about a list of 80s movies anyway. It was a simpler, more innocent time, so snark wouldn't seem appropriate unless someone started picking Revenge Of The Nerds, Police Academy sequels, or Weekend At Bernie's. I don't think snark was invented until the 90s.
Way to spoil 8 of my top 10 early!

(In all honesty, at least a handful of my picks including #30 selection could be prime targets for snark....)

Edit: Wait, they really released a Police Academy movie every year from 1984-89?!?!?! Was it like the slapstick answer to Saw where just enough people continued to show up to the increasingly inferior sequels to keep the franchise chugging along until somebody stepped in and killed it after a while (before it was inevitably brought back of course, but unlike Saw, the initial reboot was the true end of the road for those goofy cops)
Last edited by transformers2 on September 15th, 2023, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Tran's already made fun of at least one of my picks in the past.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

transformers2 wrote:
September 15th, 2023, 10:07 pm

Edit: Wait, they really released a Police Academy movie every year from 1984-89?!?!?!
Yup. There was even a TV series I have no memory of, and an animated series I vaguely remember. The producers of this series could teach Marvel a thing or two about milking an IP until it's dry. At least they took a few years off before delivering the 7th film in the series, Mission To Moscow. I guess they wanted to take the time to get that one right.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:
September 16th, 2023, 2:37 pm
transformers2 wrote:

Edit: Wait, they really released a Police Academy movie every year from 1984-89?!?!?!
Yup. There was even a TV series I have no memory of, and an animated series I vaguely remember. The producers of this series could teach Marvel a thing or two about milking an IP until it's dry. At least they took a few years off before delivering the 7th film in the series, Mission To Moscow. I guess they wanted to take the time to get that one right.
Mission to Moscow is the Endgame of the Police Academy CU

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

JohnErle wrote:
September 16th, 2023, 2:37 pm
transformers2 wrote:

The milking of Police Academy until the teat was chafed makes me think of God's Not Dead. After the first became the meme movie of 2014, the second grossed about a third of the first film, then somehow got a third installment which made less in its entire run than the first made on opening weekend, and then still got a fourth entry which barely cleared a million at the box office.

The first made over $60 million while the sequels combined failed to clear half that. And I bet they'll eventually make a fifth one if Angel Studios asks them to.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Alright gang, final notes on the countdown before I retreat into a football haze for the rest of the day:
-The thread is going to be posted in The Movie Club section of the forum
-The initial posts will be up sometime between 10 AM and noon EST tomorrow. On most other days, they'll be up late morning/early afternoon EST-save for Saturdays where they'll be up late afternoon/early evening
-StarLord, email me your initial picks ASAP
-Format will be the same as our other countdowns where everyone's #30-2 will be posted together and the #1's will be revealed individually once per day

Really looking forward to getting this started

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ah crap, i missed this. Normally skryke would have emailed me half a dozen times before i noticed. (fyi tranny- me email is jmishnu@gmail.com)

Im gonna compile my top 20 and join u guys then
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Sorry for not reaching out, but glad you're joining us for the top 20.